Home
Posted By: Rich44 .360 Buckhammer - 12/30/22
Thoughts on this Im not sure if its for real, I heard Henry is working on a rifle.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: desertoakie Re: .360 Buckhammer - 12/30/22
That is basically a rimmed version of the .350 Legend, I do believe. Correct me if I'm wrong, but both .350 & .360 use .357-8" bullets, and both cases are 1.8". For comparison, the .357 Maximum's case length is 1.6". Perhaps one could convert the new S&W X-frame in .350 Legend, to also shoot the .360, much like shooting .45ACP in moon clips in a .45 Auto Rim gun.
Posted By: cooperfan Re: .360 Buckhammer - 12/30/22
This is going to sell well for Michigan. .195" longer than the Max!!

I believe they named it appropriate. Buckhammer
Posted By: Bocajnala Re: .360 Buckhammer - 12/30/22
Remington needs to get a straight walled 7600 out. Then I'll be excited to spend some money.

-Jake
Posted By: tmitch Re: .360 Buckhammer - 12/30/22
Originally Posted by desertoakie
That is basically a rimmed version of the .350 Legend, I do believe. Correct me if I'm wrong, but both .350 & .360 use .357-8" bullets, and both cases are 1.8".

.350 legend bullets are .355" as loaded by the factories. I hope the rumors are true about the .360, I'd be first in line for a levergun so chambered.
Posted By: SCGunNut Re: .360 Buckhammer - 12/30/22
Dammit, another .35 I'll have to own....depending on what it is offered in.
Posted By: selmer Re: .360 Buckhammer - 12/30/22
Basically a straight wall rimmed .35 Remington in terms of performance.
Posted By: Rich44 Re: .360 Buckhammer - 12/30/22
If this is legit I have a Marlin 30-30 going to Jes as soon as there's a reamer available, I have a good supply of .358 Speer 180 & 220 gr fp's and 200gr FTX bullets
Posted By: jeeper Re: .360 Buckhammer - 12/30/22
Ok I'm interested.
Posted By: 4570fan Re: .360 Buckhammer - 12/30/22
Yes please
Posted By: SargeMO Re: .360 Buckhammer - 12/30/22
I've been reloading and shooting the 35 Remington for about 3 years. I warm it up a bit to 2150 with Sierra 200 grain soft points. I've only killed one deer with it but it thumps them hard. It makes a steel target dance at 200 yards too.

The 35s one weakness is that little pissant shoulder. If you don't have your sizing dies just right, you'll have chambering problems or short brass life. The buck Hammer solves that problem with essentially the same ballistics and you get a rim to boot.

I hope the cartridge catches on because there's an awful lot to like about it.
Posted By: Dinny Re: .360 Buckhammer - 12/31/22
Sarge,
I agree! There is a whole lot to like, especially in a levergun.

Maybe new 358 bullets will be developed for this cartridge. It sure does get old routinely killing animals with the same old 200gr Rem RNCL, 180gr Hornady SSPB, and Speer 180gr HCFN bullets. 🤣🤪

Thanks, Dinny
Originally Posted by Rich44
If this is legit I have a Marlin 30-30 going to Jes as soon as there's a reamer available, I have a good supply of .358 Speer 180 & 220 gr fp's and 200gr FTX bullets

I wonder what mods will be required to make it feed?? The 30-30 never was loaded with 180gr or 200gr bullets and the case is longer than 1.8". Case geometry and balance plays a role in how the carrier does it's job.
Posted By: Troutnut Re: .360 Buckhammer - 12/31/22
Originally Posted by Bocajnala
Remington needs to get a straight walled 7600 out. Then I'll be excited to spend some money.

-Jake
That would sell. I'd like to see a new 7600 period
I suppose this will be different enough that the 357 Maximum shouldn't be fired in the chamber. Looks like the Maxi case is a good bit smaller at the base.
Posted By: selmer Re: .360 Buckhammer - 12/31/22
Originally Posted by Dinny
I suppose this will be different enough that the 357 Maximum shouldn't be fired in the chamber. Looks like the Maxi case is a good bit smaller at the base.
Yes - if it's built on a .30-30 case then the Max has a significantly smaller case head. I can't see it being significantly different in ballistics than the .357 Max. If Remington had worked with a rifle manufacturer to bring out a lever action in .357 Max and then put proper bullets with it (Speer FNSP is the sweet spot - or even the Remington 200 gr. Corelokt) they wouldn't have had to spend time and money developing this new one. This will likely appeal to hunters who want to use a lever in states with cartridge limitations, such as Indiana, Ohio, and Michigan. I'm in Iowa and thankful that the DNR is starting to come to their senses with the approved change to bottle-necked cartridges flinging a .350"-500" projectile that came into effect last year. Until then I used a .357 Max in an Encore pistol with an 18" barrel during the late muzzleloader season. It runs my cast 190 RanchDog LFNGC or the Speer 180 gr. FNSP out at 2100 fps with 30 gr. AA1680 and puts them under 2" at 200 yards. It's been a deer hammer for us. Because of the change in regs (and because my 19 year old daughter turned to me last year and said, "This gun is mine now. Go buy another one for you.") I picked up an XP-100 in .350 Remington Magnum about a year ago. It gains 3-400 fps over the Max and I'm comfortable shooting at deer 300 yards off instead of the 225 yard self-imposed limit with the .357 Max. IF the ballistic gain is significant I might consider sending the Max barrel back to MGM and have it reamed out for this cartridge, but then I might as well make it a .358 Winchester because case availability would be a moot issue with all of the .308 Win brass out there and in my reloading room. I hope this takes off, but if Remington continues with the same pattern of "marketing" and "support" that goes all the way back to the .244 Remington (6.5 Rem Mag, 18" barreled .350 Rem Mag, anemic .260 Rem factory loads, and the now defunct RSAUM line), this won't even make a flash in the pan. It will only be of interest to lever gun aficionados and every Iowa deer hunter I know that wanted to set down their slug gun picked up a .350 Legend or .450 Bushmaster of some sort because the factory ammo is available in every store that sells ammunition.
Posted By: shouldershot Re: .360 Buckhammer - 01/01/23

Someone posted on another forum that the 30-30 case is wider at a certain point than the new .360 which might mean a rebore is not doable. But I’m sure JES will give the lowdown
Posted By: GuideGun Re: .360 Buckhammer - 01/01/23
Looks like an interesting cartridge. Essentially a straight walled and rimmed 35 Remington. Hopefully brass supply is better than 35 Remington is...
Posted By: Rich44 Re: .360 Buckhammer - 01/01/23
Originally Posted by shouldershot

Someone posted on another forum that the 30-30 case is wider at a certain point than the new .360 which might mean a rebore is not doable. But I’m sure JES will give the lowdown

That sucks maybe Ruger/Marlin will come out with one but that may take awhile, I guess I'll have to give the Henry a try.
Posted By: reivertom Re: .360 Buckhammer - 01/02/23
It looks to me like they have just re-invented the oldest wildcat, the 35-30, that was used over 100 years ago to give new life to worn out 30-30s and 32 Specials. The only difference I can see is they must have reduced the case diameter, or tapered it to remove the need for the very slight bottleneck of the 35-30, but I/m not sure. I have one in a 30-30 336 Marlin that had a damaged bore, so I had JES rebore do their magic. It has very slightly less case capacity than the .35 Remington. All I do is reform 30-30 cases by basically making them a straight wall, and I then have to make a slight bottleneck just to hold the .35 cal bullets. It is a nice deep woods cartridge and carries a good thump with 200 grain + bullets.
Posted By: Dave_Spn Re: .360 Buckhammer - 01/02/23

I wonder what mods will be required to make it feed?? The 30-30 never was loaded with 180gr or 200gr bullets and the case is longer than 1.8". Case geometry and balance plays a role in how the carrier does it's job.

Sure it was.
Posted By: RapScallion Re: .360 Buckhammer - 01/02/23
I just got my G&A and read Bodington's article. Sounds like a winner with the Lever people, from what I have read. Henry made up a test gun from a 30-30 with a rechambered barrel and Rem made the 200 gr ammo. Basically a 30-30 necked up to .358, straight wall for those unfortunate, to be told what to shoot when deer hunting. Those interested should read the article. IT IS NOT an AR round, it is a rimmed lever gun cartridge, regardless of where you shoot it, it sounds like a 35Rem Rebop in a shorter length cartridge. Lower recoil and 358 bullets......at 81 yo that sounds good to me, topped off in a Henry rifle.....My name is going on the list of new guns to buy! Anybody WTB a 356 Win 94 now, mine is for sale! LOL
Posted By: cwlongshot Re: .360 Buckhammer - 01/04/23
I learned about this new Caliber Friday on a live stream. Im a 35 Cal nut. I figure we will learn more @ Shot show.

I have already chopped 30/30 brass ta 1.8" and run them thru 375 then 35 Rem dies ta make dummies.

Gonna make a video tomorrow seeking info. Gotta find a Guns & Ammo too to read Col Boddingtons article.

Hope CVA jumps on board with there single shot guns too.

CW
Posted By: Buckeye Re: .360 Buckhammer - 01/04/23
A short light recoiling cartridge like the 360 hopefully will be chambered in a lightweight compact levergun
Its a bit long for a 92 action .. but it would be sweet in a
94 Ranger Compact … or a Marlin 336 16inch Spikehorn type carbine …
Posted By: Rich44 Re: .360 Buckhammer - 01/04/23
Originally Posted by Buckeye
A short light recoiling cartridge like the 360 hopefully will be chambered in a lightweight compact levergun

A spikehorn in 360 would really interest me, I sent a spikehorn to Jes to rebore to 38-55 a couple years ago and it's become one of my favorite deer rifles
Posted By: Buckeye Re: .360 Buckhammer - 01/04/23
Originally Posted by Buckeye

A spikehorn in 360 would really interest me, I sent a spikehorn to Jes to rebore to 38-55 a couple years ago and it's become one of my favorite deer rifles

I wish ..I had purchased a Remington/ Marlin Spikehorn .. to do such a conversion…. I can’t imagine doing that to my pristine JM Spikehorn… but to me that is the perfect Lever
38-55 ( 375) Spikehorn
Posted By: Rich44 Re: .360 Buckhammer - 01/04/23
I did mine on a Remington spike horn, I wish I would have bought a couple they were pretty cheap then
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: .360 Buckhammer - 01/04/23
Sounds like it would be ideal in a single shot platform. Browning/Miroku Low Wall comes to mind for example. Of course, again there's nothing new under the sun. This cartridge, and others in the mid-level .35 genre, have been around since the 1880's. .35-30 Maynard (.357 Maximum) and .35-40 Maynard (.360 Buckhammer). The single shot world is all a-twitter about Remington reviving a wonderful old Shuetzen cartridge. The "new" modern iterations of course offer better brass for those who feel the need to make speedsters out of them. Me, I'll be happy to maybe chamber a single shot target rifle in .360 Buckhammer, with a fast twist to stabilize long slow lead bullets for 200 yard target work - should buck the wind a skosh better than the .32-40, without having to go up to the sturm-and-drang of .38-.40 calibers.
Posted By: Dave_Spn Re: .360 Buckhammer - 01/04/23
It will come out in a Ruger Marlin, all decked out with large lever and laminated stock, weighing in at 8 pounds, empty.
Posted By: 44mc Re: .360 Buckhammer - 01/04/23
or a tacticool mod.
Posted By: Islanderflyer Re: .360 Buckhammer - 01/04/23
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Sounds like it would be ideal in a single shot platform. Browning/Miroku Low Wall comes to mind for example. Of course, again there's nothing new under the sun. This cartridge, and others in the mid-level .35 genre, have been around since the 1880's. .35-30 Maynard (.357 Maximum) and .35-40 Maynard (.360 Buckhammer). The single shot world is all a-twitter about Remington reviving a wonderful old Shuetzen cartridge. The "new" modern iterations of course offer better brass for those who feel the need to make speedsters out of them. Me, I'll be happy to maybe chamber a single shot target rifle in .360 Buckhammer, with a fast twist to stabilize long slow lead bullets for 200 yard target work - should buck the wind a skosh better than the .32-40, without having to go up to the sturm-and-drang of .38-.40 calibers.
My thoughts exactly. I have a low wall in 22 hornet that I have been thinking about having rebored to 357 max but I think I will wait a bit to see how this 360 pans out.
Posted By: Swamplord Re: .360 Buckhammer - 01/06/23
didn't care much for the 350 Legend due to the .355" bullets but if the 360 Buckhammer is set up with .358" slugs then I'm in !

Would be cool in a 14" Contender & I got piles of .30-30 brass to chop
Posted By: ready_on_the_right Re: .360 Buckhammer - 01/06/23
And real hunting bullets!!
Posted By: Dinny Re: .360 Buckhammer - 01/06/23
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right

180gr and 200gr real 35 caliber bullets!

https://www.remington.com/catalog.html

https://www.remington.com/on/demand...ts/catalog/REM_CATALOG-2023_FINAL_lo.pdf
Posted By: Dinny Re: .360 Buckhammer - 01/06/23
I'm hoping the 357 Max chamber will clean out with a 360 BH reamer. I have a strong candidate for rechamber.
Posted By: Swamplord Re: .360 Buckhammer - 01/06/23
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

so ... 50 years later we basically have a straight walled 357 Herrett with .358" bullets & .05" longer case length .....

So much creative innovation Remington , almost as innovative as Hornady's super duper cartridges
Posted By: jshks Re: .360 Buckhammer - 01/06/23
357 Herrett was my exact thought. The have to change, length by a few thousandths, or shoulder angle by a half a degree so the have something “new” and put a cutsie pie name on it.

Been shooting a 30 and 357 Herrett for 30+ years, along with a rimmed 35 Remington made from 30-40 Krag or 303 British brass.

Very little “new” in any cartridge that has not been tried already.
Posted By: GuideGun Re: .360 Buckhammer - 01/06/23
At this point in time, are there really many completely original designs left? You can only reinvent the wheel so many times. All these new case designs are just modern twists on existing cases or wildcats.
Posted By: beretzs Re: .360 Buckhammer - 01/06/23
It is good the old 200 grain Core Lokt RN might be back around. That sucker was the best in the 35 Remington. Others are good as well, but I never saw anything work better than that big RN from Remington. Used to be able to get those suckers cheap too. Glad they are coming back around some.

While the 360 isn't exactly new, it is nice they are looking out for our brothers that get hamstrung with the short, straight wall laws. I am sure some of them will be happy to have some other choices.
Posted By: Dave_Spn Re: .360 Buckhammer - 01/06/23
Henry will have chamber it in their Single Shot too.

Thanks for that. I see 150gr 35 Remington will be back too.

And no 35 caliber bullets listed as components.
Posted By: 4570fan Re: .360 Buckhammer - 01/06/23
Originally Posted by Dave_Spn

I haven't heard of Remington getting back into the component business. I suspect we'll see someone stepping up soon. Hornady is making the making the Accu-Tip bullets for them (SST with green tip) so I'd guess they'll be the ones.
Originally Posted by 4570fan

I haven't heard of Remington getting back into the component business. I suspect we'll see someone stepping up soon. Hornady is making the making the Accu-Tip bullets for them (SST with green tip) so I'd guess they'll be the ones.

If you look at the link for the 2023 catalog that Dinny provided, they do list bullets/brass etc for components. Hence my comment.
Posted By: Sherwood Re: .360 Buckhammer - 01/06/23
The case is basically a 30-30 rimmed cartridge with no shoulder. Middle bore hunting cartridges have come and gone while majority of North American hunters are un-impressed. Why this is so is a great mystery to me. I really thought the .356 Winchester would catch on well. - Sherwood
Originally Posted by Sherwood
The case is basically a 30-30 rimmed cartridge with no shoulder. Middle bore hunting cartridges have come and gone while majority of North American hunters are un-impressed. Why this is so is a great mystery to me. I really thought the .356 Winchester would catch on well. - Sherwood

This has a chance because of those screwed up laws in a few northern states.
Posted By: Rich44 Re: .360 Buckhammer - 01/06/23
I'm hoping the 357 Max chamber will clean out with a 360 BH reamer. I have a strong candidate for rechamber.

I have a 357 mag Contender 20" barrel that I was going to punch out to a max I think I'll wait now, that would make a nice compact setup for a 360
Posted By: zcm82 Re: .360 Buckhammer - 01/06/23
This has a chance because of those screwed up laws in a few northern states.

This...

If Henry and CVA end up chambering it in single shots, it will probably gain some traction around here.
Posted By: WStrayer Re: .360 Buckhammer - 01/06/23
Looks like another re-invented cartridge.
Posted By: WStrayer Re: .360 Buckhammer - 01/06/23
If you need a straight wall in your state there are many well extablished cartridges... 44 mag, 444 Marlin, 45-70, 375 Winchester, 35-55, etc.
It is hard enough to get ammo and reloading components for established cartridges.
Posted By: zcm82 Re: .360 Buckhammer - 01/06/23
Originally Posted by WStrayer
If you need a straight wall in your state there are many well extablished cartridges... 44 mag, 444 Marlin, 45-70, 375 Winchester, 35-55, etc.
It is hard enough to get ammo and reloading components for established cartridges.

Never stopped them before... look at 308MX... aka 300 Savage Mark2 🤷‍♂️

A lot of those are too long to meet the requirements in some of the states. Try to keep up please.
Posted By: ready_on_the_right Re: .360 Buckhammer - 01/07/23
1.8" case length limit (in some states) eliminates many of those!
Posted By: gemelli5 Re: .360 Buckhammer - 01/07/23
Such a shame crippling new calibers to fit actions...The Legend had to fit the AR, the Buckhammer comes with a RN to be safe in lever action rifles. Re-barrel a Savage 325 would let bullets be of any shape...
Hornady is probably going to load the BH with an FTX and dominate as usual. Meanwhile handy tinkerer will re-chamber and reload. By the way...Why not blowing the 30-30 case up to .40?
[Linked Image from press.hornady.com]
Random thoughts
Posted By: crshelton Re: .360 Buckhammer - 01/07/23
oNE OF THE REASONS THGAT i STUCK WITH MY m70 .308 ALL THESE YEARS.
Posted By: Dave_Spn Re: .360 Buckhammer - 01/07/23
Originally Posted by gemelli5
Such a shame crippling new calibers to fit actions...The Legend had to fit the AR, the Buckhammer comes with a RN to be safe in lever action rifles. Re-barrel a Savage 325 would let bullets be of any shape...
Hornady is probably going to load the BH with an FTX and dominate as usual. Meanwhile handy tinkerer will re-chamber and reload. By the way...Why not blowing the 30-30 case up to .40?
[Linked Image from press.hornady.com]
Random thoughts

The 338 Marlin would approve.
Posted By: Dinny Re: .360 Buckhammer - 01/08/23
I wish some of you would try hunting with something like a 357 Maximum, 350 Legend, or the 360 BH someday. They are very efficient killers when shots are taken inside 150yds. When I had a custom 357 Maximum rifle built for my son, I told him he could hunt with that one rifle the rest of his life. Aside from going out West I can't see a need for anything else. He plans to hunt black bears in June with that rifle. I killed one a few years back with a different 357 Maximum rifle so it can be done.
Posted By: gemelli5 Re: .360 Buckhammer - 01/08/23
Isn't the 338 Marlin a bottle neck round? I don't see the relation to the discussion at hand.
Posted By: Dave_Spn Re: .360 Buckhammer - 01/08/23
Originally Posted by gemelli5
Isn't the 338 Marlin a bottle neck round? I don't see the relation to the discussion at hand.

Meaning that getting stuff to feed your idea would be akin to feeding a 338 Marlin.
Posted By: Dave_Spn Re: .360 Buckhammer - 01/08/23
I wish some of you would try hunting with something like a 357 Maximum, 350 Legend, or the 360 BH someday. They are very efficient killers when shots are taken inside 150yds. When I had a custom 357 Maximum rifle built for my son, I told him he could hunt with that one rifle the rest of his life. Aside from going out West I can't see a need for anything else. He plans to hunt black bears in June with that rifle. I killed one a few years back with a different 357 Maximum rifle so it can be done.

I do and have, I have 356 Winchester, 358, 35 Rem and 35 Whelen. They can all be made to do what the little ones do.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: .360 Buckhammer - 01/08/23

I do and have, I have 356 Winchester, 358, 35 Rem and 35 Whelen. They can all be made to do what the little ones do.

Indeed, and with a savings in pressure too. But none of them would be legal in the plethora of "straight wall cartridge" zones that have sprung up. My state is about evenly divided in that regard - the half in which I live, but rarely hunt in, went from shotgun/muzzleloader only to "straight wall too" recently - but the other half of the state (where I mostly hunt) has always been "run whatcha brung".

I'm firmly on the .357 Maxi bandwagon now, and would be even if it weren't politically mandated - it's a darned efficient cartridge that punches well above its weight class. I look forward to investigating the merits of the .360 though. It's intriguing to me but not necessarily as a deer cartridge, the Maxi fills that niche in my battery of rifles quite nicely. I see it as a mid-weight cartridge with a lot to offer in diverse shooting genres.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: .360 Buckhammer - 01/08/23
Another argument for the .350/Maxi/.360-class of cartridges is ergonomics. They can be chambered in light, well balanced, handy little rifles that are an absolute joy to carry in the thick stuff, and which don't scream at you and smack you like a .35 bottle necked cartridge would if provided in a six pound (or lighter) rifle. (Astute handloading of said cartridges notwithstanding - how many hunters/shooters really do fall into that category anyway?)

My little Martini .357 Maxi, 26" barrel, weighs in at a scant 6 pounds. It's a pleasure to shoot 200's at sub-2000fps out of, but would be a nasty little SOB at higher performance levels. And those 200grain/1900fps loads generate around 1600ft.lbs. of muzzle energy, death to many four legged creatures at "normal" woods ranges. And on top of that, the little thing is comfy in the hands all day (note absence of sling swivels):

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Dinny Re: .360 Buckhammer - 01/09/23
Dave,
I have you beat hands down. LOL

I have a 357 Mag, 2x 357 Max, a 35 Rem, a 358 Win, and a 35 Whelen. All are rifles with barrels 18" -23".

The two Maxis get more trigger time than all the others combined. It's a well-mannered cartridge.
Posted By: Ranger99 Re: .360 Buckhammer - 01/09/23
I wish some of you would try hunting with something like a 357 Maximum . . .

You and Pete convinced me sometime back.
The 357 I redid for my young relative really
surprised me at how hard it would hit from
a rifle. Been wanting to get a Henry and ream
for my own use
Posted By: Dave_Spn Re: .360 Buckhammer - 01/09/23
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

Indeed, and with a savings in pressure too. But none of them would be legal in the plethora of "straight wall cartridge" zones that have sprung up. My state is about evenly divided in that regard - the half in which I live, but rarely hunt in, went from shotgun/muzzleloader only to "straight wall too" recently - but the other half of the state (where I mostly hunt) has always been "run whatcha brung".

I'm firmly on the .357 Maxi bandwagon now, and would be even if it weren't politically mandated - it's a darned efficient cartridge that punches well above its weight class. I look forward to investigating the merits of the .360 though. It's intriguing to me but not necessarily as a deer cartridge, the Maxi fills that niche in my battery of rifles quite nicely. I see it as a mid-weight cartridge with a lot to offer in diverse shooting genres.

I'm well aware, I'm only stating the obvious.

I too will like get the 360, assuming it's on a platform I'd. I'll have to see how it plays out for a bit and see if I can turn a 30/30 into one.
Posted By: zcm82 Re: .360 Buckhammer - 01/09/23
That's the same boat I'm in... interested, but awaiting available platforms and some actual case dimensions. I had also been interested in 350 Legend when it was first announced until I saw the stupid rebated head and oddball bullets. That promptly killed every ounce of my enthusiasm on that one.

If this ends up being from a from a standard family case with a .357/.358 bullet offered in a Henry lever or a single shot, I may hop on the bandwagon.
Posted By: Rich44 Re: .360 Buckhammer - 01/09/23
I too will like get the 360, assuming it's on a platform I'd. I'll have to see how it plays out for a bit and see if I can turn a 30/30 into one.

I was talking to Jes about reboring a 30-30 he said it won't clean up the chamber, so it would have to be a rebarrel,
when there's a reamer available I'm just going to punch out a 357 mag Contender barrel that I have that was going to be a 357 max unless Marlin brings it out in the 336

I was talking to Jes about reboring a 30-30 he said it won't clean up the chamber, so it would have to be a rebarrel,
when there's a reamer available I'm just going to punch out a 357 mag Contender barrel that I have that was going to be a 357 max unless Marlin brings it out in the 336

I'd love to see a case dimension drawing.
Anyways, I'm happy for the rim as it should be perfect for a single shot. They aren't my thing, but if I could get a properly scaled one for it, I could likely slum one.
Posted By: Dinny Re: .360 Buckhammer - 01/13/23
Some new info:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Attached picture IMG_20230112_0750.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20230112_59244.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20230112_1376.jpg
Posted By: zcm82 Re: .360 Buckhammer - 01/13/23
Nice to see an actual .358 bullet. That definitely pushes me toward wanting one more.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: .360 Buckhammer - 01/13/23
Another way to look at the performance of this is to consider its similarity in bullet weight/velocity to the old .30-40 Krag which drove a 220 grain bullet at a scant 2000fps out of the infantry rifle, and a couple hundred fps less out of the cavalry carbine. It was considered big medicine capable of whacking anything on four legs in America. Its record in that regard stands for itself.
The ballistics from that article page look pretty good... basically 35 Rem +P.

If it ends up offered in a little 16-18" barreled carbine I'll probably hop on that like a possum in an open trash can 😏 I had always been keen on hoping to see a 357 Max lever someday, and this would basically be the same plus a bit more.
Posted By: SCGunNut Re: .360 Buckhammer - 01/13/23
If Ruger gets off their ass and chambers a Marlin 336 for it, I'll pounce. Not a fan of Henry lever guns.
Posted By: UncleAlps Re: .360 Buckhammer - 01/13/23
How about the .375 Winchester, anybody?

The .375 has a lot less case taper. Is that a potential issue for the .360 BuckHmr?
I already have a 375. Variety is the spice of life 😏

I doubt the taper will be an issue... 32-40 has a lot of taper and it works fine in levers.

Not a straight wall, but 250 Savage has a ton of body taper and it runs in the 99s like butter.
Posted By: tbird86 Re: .360 Buckhammer - 01/13/23
Originally Posted by UncleAlps

The .375 has a lot less case taper. Is that a potential issue for the .360 BuckHmr?
Doesn't taper ease extraction?
Posted By: jeeper Re: .360 Buckhammer - 01/13/23
Originally Posted by tbird86
Originally Posted by UncleAlps
Doesn't taper ease extraction?

Yes
Posted By: jeeper Re: .360 Buckhammer - 01/13/23
Originally Posted by zcm82
Nice to see an actual .358 bullet. That definitely pushes me toward wanting one more.

Using the .358 was the proper thing to do. Could not and cannot get warm and fuzzy about the .355 Legend
Posted By: Rich44 Re: .360 Buckhammer - 01/13/23
I've always been a .358 fan 35 rem and 35 Whelan plus a big .357 max fan so I'm pretty interested in this one plus having a good supply of .358 bullets suitable for a tubular magazine lever gun.
If Marlin does bring it out in the 336 I will most likely pick one up.
Being in Ohio we don't have a case length restriction I usually use a Marlin 45-70 or 375 win, just wondering what this could do with the case stretched out to 2.020 kinda like a 375 win tapered down to .358
Posted By: tbird86 Re: .360 Buckhammer - 01/13/23
Originally Posted by jeeper
Originally Posted by zcm82

Using the .358 was the proper thing to do. Could not and cannot get warm and fuzzy about the .355 Legend
Agreed.

I'm waiting to see if they do a .358 Legend, or maybe a Type II like they did with the 6.8SPC.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: .360 Buckhammer - 01/13/23
just wondering what this could do with the case stretched out to 2.020 kinda like a 375 win tapered down to .358

That's what's I'm wondering.
Posted By: Dave_Spn Re: .360 Buckhammer - 01/13/23
Has anyone seen the specified twist rate?
Posted By: Rich44 Re: .360 Buckhammer - 01/13/23
According to this article it will be 1 in12
https://www.outdoorlife.com/guns/360-buckhammer/

Remington was also still finalizing the chamber drawings and specs for the round, specifically in terms of twist rate and throat dimensions. My rifle came with a 1:14 twist and had a steep 12-degree leade machined in the throat. The final specs for the .360 Buckhammer call for a 1:12 twist and a 1.5-degree leade in the throat, both of which should improve the round’s accuracy.

I shot five 5-shot groups with my rifle at the range and the groups averaged 2.442 inches. That’s okay for shooting within 150 yards on deer, but there’s certainly room for improvement. Based on my experience with similar cartridges in lever guns, I would expect to see the average of multiple 5-shot groups in the 1.5- to 1.75-inch range. With that accuracy, I’d be comfortable to 200 yards on a whitetail.
Posted By: Dave_Spn Re: .360 Buckhammer - 01/14/23
According to this article it will be 1 in12
https://www.outdoorlife.com/guns/360-buckhammer/

Remington was also still finalizing the chamber drawings and specs for the round, specifically in terms of twist rate and throat dimensions. My rifle came with a 1:14 twist and had a steep 12-degree leade machined in the throat. The final specs for the .360 Buckhammer call for a 1:12 twist and a 1.5-degree leade in the throat, both of which should improve the round’s accuracy.

I shot five 5-shot groups with my rifle at the range and the groups averaged 2.442 inches. That’s okay for shooting within 150 yards on deer, but there’s certainly room for improvement. Based on my experience with similar cartridges in lever guns, I would expect to see the average of multiple 5-shot groups in the 1.5- to 1.75-inch range. With that accuracy, I’d be comfortable to 200 yards on a whitetail.

Thank you
Posted By: Biathlonman Re: .360 Buckhammer - 01/14/23
It’ll be interesting to see what ammo prices look like. While this looks a lot friendlier to load for and I’m glad they chose a true .358 bullet, I’m not sure I’ll be trading in my legend for it.
Being from Iowa and a lefty, the idea of a lever gun in this cartridge is very attractive to me. However, I already have a Ruger (righty) in 350 L and a Savage 99 in 358 Win.

The author’s comment of a “7 lb rifle” here aside, every Henry model I’ve ever handled weighed like a boat anchor.
Posted By: zcm82 Re: .360 Buckhammer - 01/14/23
The brass ones with the octagon barrels are ridiculously heavy.

The 16" BBS carbine isn't bad for weight. Mine is 6#9oz empty with a Williams FP peep on it.
Posted By: JFE Re: .360 Buckhammer - 01/14/23
From Remington’s perspective I can see the attraction of developing this cartridge for niche US markets that have 1.8” straight wall case limits.

Use a shortened 30/30 case and bullets from a 35 Rem to produce ballistics that exceed those of (low pressure) factory 35 Rem. It might just make the 35 Rem obsolete.
Posted By: Dave_Spn Re: .360 Buckhammer - 01/15/23
Originally Posted by JFE
From Remington’s perspective I can see the attraction of developing this cartridge for niche US markets that have 1.8” straight wall case limits.

Use a shortened 30/30 case and bullets from a 35 Rem to produce ballistics that exceed those of (low pressure) factory 35 Rem. It might just make the 35 Rem obsolete.

There are a LOT of 35 Remingtons out there, there just needs to be ammo again. Once again, northern states are screwing the rest of the nation.
Posted By: M1Garand Re: .360 Buckhammer - 01/15/23
Originally Posted by selmer
Basically a straight wall rimmed .35 Remington in terms of performance.

I thought the same thing.
Posted By: Nessmuk Re: .360 Buckhammer - 01/15/23
May I ask, how is this better than the 38-55 or 375Win?
Is it because of the straight wall rules?
I'm not against it in any way, I just don't see it as better.
Posted By: Dave_Spn Re: .360 Buckhammer - 01/15/23
Originally Posted by Nessmuk
May I ask, how is this better than the 38-55 or 375Win?
Is it because of the straight wall rules?
I'm not against it in any way, I just don't see it as better.

A WHOLE lot easier to feed and shoot cheaply once you get some brass. Those you mentioned don't fit the 1.8" rule that a few states have, so it's better in that regard.

If a bullet will work in a 38/357, you can fire it in the 360.
Posted By: Nessmuk Re: .360 Buckhammer - 01/15/23
Oh, didn't know they limited the length.
That's stupid.
Posted By: Rich44 Re: .360 Buckhammer - 01/15/23
Besides the 1.8" length limitation bullet selection is much better not just handgun bullets but jacketed .358 rifle bullets suitable for a lever action.

I have both the 375 win and 38-55 in lever actions and the jacketed bullet selection sucks there's basically two companies making them the 200 gr Sierra and the 255gr Barnes and both are seldom available there is also the bullets from Les Vollmer which are probably easier to get, or buy or cast your own lead bullets.

And for people that don't reload I can't remember the last time I saw .375 win or 38-55 factory ammo in a store.
I'm hoping more ammo companies will make 360 ammo besides Remington or make more .35 cal bullets.

I don't think it will be anywhere near as popular as the 350L the rifles will be just two expensive, except for the single shots and not available in a bolt action or AR type rifle
Posted By: UncleAlps Re: .360 Buckhammer - 01/15/23
I believe the 360 BH will be popular in single shot and lever actions. The 350 L will remain popular in bolt and semi auto rifles. It will great to have so many options. The .357 max will contine to fade away without any factory ammo or rifles produced.

I will likely let my Ruger American 350 L go once the 360 BH gets chambered in the right rifle to make it enjoyable to hunt and carry.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: .360 Buckhammer - 01/15/23
Seems those few northern states have gone to a lot of trouble to keep the 30-30 and 35 Remington from being legal. All in the name of safety of course.
Posted By: Biathlonman Re: .360 Buckhammer - 01/15/23
Good point…haha
Posted By: Swamplord Re: .360 Buckhammer - 01/16/23
Shorten the 45-70 to 1.8" & call it the 450 Pig Sticker
Posted By: pka45 Re: .360 Buckhammer - 01/16/23
Some new info:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I’m interested, but I’m sad it’s not actually a straight wall, so no carbide dies I’d imagine. Wish they had just gone with a 357 Max 1.8 instead. Then the Contender could handle full bore pressures with the smaller case head as well.

And Dinny is exactly right about the Max - what an underrated cartridge. I think it’s the absolute perfectly balanced deer round. Will stick with my Max, but options are always good.

Part of me does really want a 350 L in that Howa mini bolt action… bet I could run it with 357 dies and the same cast bullets…
Posted By: Dinny Re: .360 Buckhammer - 01/16/23
Originally Posted by Swamplord
Shorten the 45-70 to 1.8" & call it the 450 Pig Sticker

Not so easy. I have done it. 45-70 brass thickens as it's cut shorter and inside neck reaming is required to keep the case from bulging or buckling when the bullet is being seated.
Posted By: Dinny Re: .360 Buckhammer - 01/16/23
Originally Posted by Biathlonman
It’ll be interesting to see what ammo prices look like. While this looks a lot friendlier to load for and I’m glad they chose a true .358 bullet, I’m not sure I’ll be trading in my legend for it.

One of the articles said Rem ammo will be around $36.99 per box.
Posted By: 2500HD Re: .360 Buckhammer - 01/16/23
I’ve been playing with the last couple years with a .358 x 1.8” straight wall based on starline .223 basic brass. Started on it just prior to the announcement of the 350 legend. A full case of AA 1680 will push a 180 gr hornady ssp at 2600 fps out of a 26” MGM encore barrel. It’s a hammer on deer. We also have a couple of 357 maximums. Deer take very few steps. Most our shots are within 150 yards with our food plot layout. Food plot is longer but the deer don’t necessarily need to be shot much farther than 150.
Posted By: Dinny Re: .360 Buckhammer - 01/17/23
Posted By: hookeye Re: .360 Buckhammer - 01/17/23
Availability and cost........proly a better choice than .35 rem LOL
Posted By: betterthanaverage Re: .360 Buckhammer - 01/18/23
The classic 38-55 Winchester is better than the 360 Buckhammer. The 360 Buckhammer is another boutique cartridge that the firearm and ammunition industries are going to push on consumers. Conversely, the 38-55 has been around for about 140 years and industry actively refuses to embrace it for modern hunting applications. Research the 38-55 for yourselves, Chuck Hawks has some good write ups on it. The 38-55 was the parent case to the 30-30 and the mild original load of a 255-grain bullet at a muzzle velocity of 1300fps has taken many heads of game. Ammunition companies used to sell a 1600-1700fps load which seems to be a sweet spot for terminal performance and recoil. Buffalo Bore sells 38-55 ammunition, but it is probably best reserved for CPX3 game (only use in modern rifles). The point being that the new boutique 360 Buckhammer was and is not needed.

Guns and Shooting Killing Power Score @100 yards:
.38-55 Winchester (255 grain at MV 1320 fps) - 22.7 KPS
.38-55 Winchester (255 grain at MV 1635 fps) - 33.5 KPS
.38-55 Winchester (255 grain at MV 1950 fps) - 44.3 KPS

For comparison:
.30-06 Springfield (150 grain at MV 2920 fps) - 37.3 KPS
.30-06 Springfield (165 grain at MV 2850 fps) - 47.3 KPS
.30-06 Springfield (180 grain at MV 2700 fps) - 49.2 KPS

38-55 Recoil Information from Chuck Hawks:
255gr bullet at 1320 fps from 7.5lbs rifle = 7.8 recoil energy and 8.2 recoil velocity
255gr bullet at 1635 fps from 7.5lbs rifle = 12.6 recoil energy and 10.2 recoil velocity
255gr bullet at 1950 fps from 7.5lbs rifle = 17.4 recoil energy and 12.2 recoil velocity
Posted By: Dave_Spn Re: .360 Buckhammer - 01/18/23
Originally Posted by betterthanaverage
The classic 38-55 Winchester is better than the 360 Buckhammer. The 360 Buckhammer is another boutique cartridge that the firearm and ammunition industries are going to push on consumers. Conversely, the 38-55 has been around for about 140 years and industry actively refuses to embrace it for modern hunting applications. Research the 38-55 for yourselves, Chuck Hawks has some good write ups on it. The 38-55 was the parent case to the 30-30 and the mild original load of a 255-grain bullet at a muzzle velocity of 1300fps has taken many heads of game. Ammunition companies used to sell a 1600-1700fps load which seems to be a sweet spot for terminal performance and recoil. Buffalo Bore sells 38-55 ammunition, but it is probably best reserved for CPX3 game (only use in modern rifles). The point being that the new boutique 360 Buckhammer was and is not needed.

Guns and Shooting Killing Power Score @100 yards:
.38-55 Winchester (255 grain at MV 1320 fps) - 22.7 KPS
.38-55 Winchester (255 grain at MV 1635 fps) - 33.5 KPS
.38-55 Winchester (255 grain at MV 1950 fps) - 44.3 KPS

For comparison:
.30-06 Springfield (150 grain at MV 2920 fps) - 37.3 KPS
.30-06 Springfield (165 grain at MV 2850 fps) - 47.3 KPS
.30-06 Springfield (180 grain at MV 2700 fps) - 49.2 KPS

38-55 Recoil Information from Chuck Hawks:
255gr bullet at 1320 fps from 7.5lbs rifle = 7.8 recoil energy and 8.2 recoil velocity
255gr bullet at 1635 fps from 7.5lbs rifle = 12.6 recoil energy and 10.2 recoil velocity
255gr bullet at 1950 fps from 7.5lbs rifle = 17.4 recoil energy and 12.2 recoil velocity

Other than the fact that you can't use a 38/55 to hunt in several states, but you can use the 360 Buckhammer.

Good news, Gunsmoke is on.
Posted By: Dinny Re: .360 Buckhammer - 01/18/23
The classic 38-55 Winchester is better than the 360 Buckhammer. The point being that the new boutique 360 Buckhammer was and is not needed.

I bet the Buckhammer will be much better in regards to uniform bore specs.
Posted By: betterthanaverage Re: .360 Buckhammer - 01/18/23
I was unaware that commercial rifle producers did not follow SAAMI specifications…

The vague bore size reference has more to do with historical time period and the type of bullets used.

Yes, early (read old) 38-55 rifle bores were slightly inconsistent but modern manufactures follow SAAMI specifications and production tolerances have improved over the past 140 years.

What holds true today, regardless of caliber, is that shooters need to know their rifle’s bore size and how that relates to using lead, jacketed, and hard cast bullets.

A more interesting counterpoint would have been about chamber size and the evolution from black powder and paper patched bullets to smokeless powder and jacketed bullets. Still irrelevant when discussing modern production rifles, but at least it would have been interesting.

Starline Brass has a fantastic write up on the 38-55 case which touches on this topic.

Buffalo Bore speaks a bit to bullet diameter if you look at the 38-55 ammunition.
Posted By: JoeBob Re: .360 Buckhammer - 01/18/23
Yeah, but a 38-55 is not legal in certain states for hunting. That’s why there is a new cartridge.
Posted By: markopolo50 Re: .360 Buckhammer - 01/18/23
From what I have seen on the ballistics from the 360 hammer to the 350 legend, there isn't much of a difference. The 350 legend and the 450 bushmaster have become popular in Michigan, but mainly in the lower half of the lower peninsula. That is because we can use it where we could only use shotguns and muzzle loaders before. The 350 and 450 have more range than a slug gun and a muzzle loader and generally better accuracy. Will have to wait to see the offerings in the 360 hammer. I do like the diameter as others have stated.
Posted By: Bugger Re: .360 Buckhammer - 01/18/23
How about the 375 Win? Is that not legal where the Buck hammer is?

https://www.remington.com/big-green...u=24674819&mid=524002573&jb=7860
Posted By: Rich44 Re: .360 Buckhammer - 01/18/23
Some states have a 1.8" maximum case length makes the .375 win to long
Posted By: betterthanaverage Re: .360 Buckhammer - 01/19/23
I understand the 360 Buckhammer’s appeal to the minority who hunt in states that have straight wall cartridge length limitations but…

There was no true requirement for the 360 Buckhammer, other cartridges that meet state requirements can be used.

The 360 Buckhammer is premised on current law. Who and what influenced the law pre and post adoption? Most answers are speculative unless people directly involved provide truthful unbiased insights. Where do we hunters go from here? Is the status quo accepted for perpetuity? Will state laws become less restrictive? Perhaps, or maybe, other mid-west states will be influenced to become more restrictive. I would think it is in the industry’s best interest to have less restrictive laws to facilitate more and different types of sales. I’ve always been told to follow the money.

As for the 38-55, the concerns mentioned in this thread exist because industry has decided not to advance and promote the cartridge, that much is very clear. Why? Who knows, the issue is circular. It is a shame to see American history set aside for new renditions in pursuit of the almighty dollar.

Taking a step back to think about larger desired outcomes; if the 360 Buckhammer helps keep the hunting tradition alive then that is a very positive thing and I’ll drink to that.

Even though the 38-55 Winchester is better.
Posted By: Dave_Spn Re: .360 Buckhammer - 01/19/23
I understand the 360 Buckhammer’s appeal to the minority who hunt in states that have straight wall cartridge length limitations but…

There was no true requirement for the 360 Buckhammer, other cartridges that meet state requirements can be used.

The 360 Buckhammer is premised on current law. Who and what influenced the law pre and post adoption? Most answers are speculative unless people directly involved provide truthful unbiased insights. Where do we hunters go from here? Is the status quo accepted for perpetuity? Will state laws become less restrictive? Perhaps, or maybe, other mid-west states will be influenced to become more restrictive. I would think it is in the industry’s best interest to have less restrictive laws to facilitate more and different types of sales. I’ve always been told to follow the money.

As for the 38-55, the concerns mentioned in this thread exist because industry has decided not to advance and promote the cartridge, that much is very clear. Why? Who knows, the issue is circular. It is a shame to see American history set aside for new renditions in pursuit of the almighty dollar.

Taking a step back to think about larger desired outcomes; if the 360 Buckhammer helps keep the hunting tradition alive then that is a very positive thing and I’ll drink to that.

Even though the 38-55 Winchester is better.

Define BETTER
Posted By: betterthanaverage Re: .360 Buckhammer - 01/19/23
Always good to define subjective terms. Generally speaking, with firearms, it is in the eyes of the beholder and their intended use. Refer to original posting then consider versatility, recoil, external and terminal ballistics, and sprinkle some nostalgia. Happy hunting.
Posted By: Dave_Spn Re: .360 Buckhammer - 01/19/23
Always good to define subjective terms. Generally speaking, with firearms, it is in the eyes of the beholder and their intended use. Refer to original posting then consider versatility, recoil, external and terminal ballistics, and sprinkle some nostalgia. Happy hunting.

And all that is based on using both?
Posted By: JoeBob Re: .360 Buckhammer - 01/19/23
Good lord. People have too much time on their hands. The .350 Legend took off and sold like hotcakes. This is simply a response from Remington and Henry trying to get in on the game.
Posted By: KeithNyst Re: .360 Buckhammer - 01/20/23

Except quite a few of the straight wall states limit case length tom1.8”.
Posted By: 4570fan Re: .360 Buckhammer - 02/01/23
Looks like 4 rifles in production, 3 levers, 1 single shot.
Posted By: boomwack Re: .360 Buckhammer - 02/21/23
Thoughts on this Im not sure if its for real, I heard Henry is working on a rifle.

Like the cartridge idea, like that its a 35 cal too.... Almost like they are 'reforming' pun intended, the 35 rem. Remington and lever gun manufacturers obviously trying to catch some of the market the Winchester thing has flared up.

New spin on an old cartridge. If happen across a nice lever gun '336' in the 360 buckwacker, bucksmacker, buckflaten'r..... I mean buckhammer, I am very willing to give it a try in the thick timber.... What would be wrong just calling it the 360 rem??

The little advertisement video that rem has on there sight had me thinking I had clicked on a haunted house or property video...
Posted By: Dinny Re: .360 Buckhammer - 03/04/23
Manson Reamers had two 360 Buckhammer chamber reamers available yesterday afternoon.

PT&G shows the reamer in stock on their website.
Posted By: Rich44 Re: .360 Buckhammer - 03/04/23
Have one on the way, going to rechamber one of my max barrels for now until a lever gun gets here hopefully a Marlin, already have dies bullets and brass

Attached picture 20230218_121829_copy_265x353_1.jpg
Posted By: rayporter Re: .360 Buckhammer - 03/04/23
have noticed shotgun slugs have been very very hard to find, where as 350L and 450bm is available.
Posted By: Dinny Re: .360 Buckhammer - 03/06/23
Have one on the way, going to rechamber one of my max barrels for now until a lever gun gets here hopefully a Marlin, already have dies bullets and brass

Rich,
Did you make your brass? If so, was it from 30-30?

Thanks
Posted By: Rich44 Re: .360 Buckhammer - 03/06/23
Dinny
I made some from WW 38-55 brass it came out closest to the drawing with a .379 loaded neck also tried some Starline 38-55 it came out at .378 tried one WW 375 win case it was .380 all were loaded with 180gr Speer hot- core bullets
Rich,
Mike Bellm will get my barrel for rechamber next week. He recommended trimming 30-30 brass down to 1.8" and running it through a FL sizer after flaring the case neck a little to help ease the mandrel in. I just ordered dies from RCBS. Free shipping is nice.
Anyone have any concerns with feeding after a Marlin 336 30-30 rebore and rechamber? JES is bound to have a reamer soon.
Posted By: tbird86 Re: .360 Buckhammer - 03/06/23
I thought we'd already established that the .30-30 shoulder is wider than the .360 at that point, and re-bores on it won't work..?
Posted By: Lonerider Re: .360 Buckhammer - 03/06/23
Those states have a 1.8 case length rule so the 444, 45-70, 375 and 38-55 are all to long to be legal. The 360 BH is 1.8 in long.
Posted By: Rich44 Re: .360 Buckhammer - 03/06/23
Rich,
Mike Bellm will get my barrel for rechamber next week. He recommended trimming 30-30 brass down to 1.8" and running it through a FL sizer after flaring the case neck a little to help ease the mandrel in. I just ordered dies from RCBS. Free shipping is nice.

Why 30-30 brass did he say it was stronger or just easier to get, and what barrel are you having him chamber
Posted By: Dinny Re: .360 Buckhammer - 03/07/23
Rich,

Why 30-30 brass did he say it was stronger or just easier to get, and what barrel are you having him chamber

30-30 is more plentiful and cheaper. I'm sending him a H&R barrel chambered in 357 Max.
Posted By: Boartuff_ Re: .360 Buckhammer - 03/07/23
Rich,

30-30 is more plentiful and cheaper. I'm sending him a H&R barrel chambered in 357 Max.
Bummer to rechamber a Max barrel. I had one that I wish I didn’t let go.
Posted By: Dinny Re: .360 Buckhammer - 03/07/23
Originally Posted by Boartuff_
Rich,

It looks as though the chamber was cut with a drill bit or a boring bar. I won't lose sleep over this decision. I have another Maxi with an excellent chamber and throat.
Posted By: Boartuff_ Re: .360 Buckhammer - 03/08/23
Originally Posted by Boartuff_
Rich,

It looks as though the chamber was cut with a drill bit or a boring bar. I won't lose sleep over this decision. I have another Maxi with an excellent chamber and throat.
That makes sense.
Posted By: jeeper Re: .360 Buckhammer - 03/08/23
As anyone chambered a bolt gun yet ? Wondering if the rimmed case would be a problem for some actions. I did a tikka T3 in 35 Remington and it works like a charm but 35 Rem. ain't a rimmed case.
Posted By: Dinny Re: .360 Buckhammer - 03/11/23
Savage and Remington made 30-30 bolt guns years ago. They weren't that popular and never really caught on. Just my opinion, but rims belong in single shots first then lever guns.
Posted By: RAM Re: .360 Buckhammer - 03/11/23
That barrel will bring you $500 on ebay. Just have Shaw mak you a barrel
Savage and Remington 30-30 bolt guns are some of the most accurate bolt guns ever made. ANY maker.

Don't damn the cuisine till you taste .

30-30 in Europe is 7.62 x 51 rimmed. And we all know what a 7.62 x 51 nato can do.
.303 brit and 7.62 x 54 are still used today in machine guns and in bolts.

Mosin nagant is the most successful sniper rifle in the world.

They are both rimmed rounds.
Posted By: Bugger Re: .360 Buckhammer - 03/11/23
How about a 444 shortened to meet some states’ requirements.
Posted By: Dinny Re: .360 Buckhammer - 03/11/23
Originally Posted by Bugger

I've done the same with a 45-70. It's a PITA! The brass thickens as it gets closer to the head and makes neck/wall turning necessary.
Posted By: Bugger Re: .360 Buckhammer - 03/12/23

I've done the same with a 45-70. It's a PITA! The brass thickens as it gets closer to the head and makes neck/wall turning necessary.
444 shortened?

I’d think that a neck trimmer would take care of the 45-70 shortened issue.
Posted By: Dinny Re: .360 Buckhammer - 03/12/23

444 shortened?

I’d think that a neck trimmer would take care of the 45-70 shortened issue.

Sorry, I just don't see the juice being worth the squeeze. I imagine the 444 would require the same tedious case prep. I would also imagine feeding in a levergun would be complicated by shortened cases. My 45 Colt Marlin wouldn't feed 45 Cowboy brass. I trimmed 45-70 brass down for a single shot rifle.
Posted By: Dinny Re: .360 Buckhammer - 03/15/23
My dies arrived today. RCBS made the seating stem flat. For leverguns I see their point, but I'm shooting a single shot and don't want my soft points flattened. For the time being my CH .348 Win seating plug works perfectly. The plug is 1/2-20. I called RCBS and they're sending me a plug for seating FTX bullets. Parts #90018 and #90019 should work according to the rep. Worse case I'll need to drill a relief hole deeper into the plug for bullets with longer soft points. I order a LEE FCD a few days ago.

L-R: 165gr (.355) Hornady FTX, 180gr Fury TCFN, 180gr Hornady SSPB, 185gr NOE LFP.

Posted By: Gaschekt Re: .360 Buckhammer - 03/15/23
Did we ever decide if JES could convert a "worthless " Winchester 94 in 30-30 to this 360 buckhammer cartridge? If so I may have to round up a beater 30-30 though they aren't as many as there used to was. And yes, since they finally got this one correct with. 358" bullets I would certainly be interested.
Posted By: Rich44 Re: .360 Buckhammer - 03/15/23
He told me no it wouldn't clean up the chamber
Posted By: Dinny Re: .360 Buckhammer - 04/19/23
I spoke to the Remington rep at the NRA Convention last weekend. They have sent components to Hodgdon so they can work up load data. Ammunition production started last week and should have started shipping to dealers this week. I was told I'd receive some show samples so I'm eager to see what comes in the mail.
Posted By: Buckeye Re: .360 Buckhammer - 05/17/23
I have some actual velocity’s from a 20 in Henry using Remington 180 & 200 grain

180gr average 2408 FPS
200gr average 2174 FPS

Henry has a suggestion area on their site
I made a suggestion for a 16inch barreled 360
a Trapper model .. I suggest you guys do the same

I have suggested a Trapper model in 30-30 for 3 years
No dice

I think the Speer 180gr .358 Hot-Cor bullet would be a great choice for the 360 BH .. , maybe Federal will offer it

Also check out the 400 Legend..
Posted By: Dinny Re: .360 Buckhammer - 05/17/23
Mike Bellm sent me tracking info on Saturday. My single shot 360 BHMR is done and I'll have it sometime this week. I hope to shoot it this coming weekend.
Posted By: Rich44 Re: .360 Buckhammer - 05/17/23
I just got a email from MGM my Encore barrel is 2 weeks out and Midway has some .358 200gr spire point flex tip and sp blems on sale,
Posted By: Dinny Re: .360 Buckhammer - 05/17/23
I loaded 8 rounds of 360 BHMR this afternoon and hope to test them tomorrow morning. I'm using A1680 and the 180gr Speer HCFN for now. MTF after I shoot them over my chrono.
Posted By: Buckeye Re: .360 Buckhammer - 05/18/23
I loaded 8 rounds of 360 BHMR this afternoon and hope to test them tomorrow morning. I'm using A1680 and the 180gr Speer HCFN for now. MTF after I shoot them over my chrono.

Oh boy !
Posted By: Dinny Re: .360 Buckhammer - 05/18/23

A rushed group with 3 shot without and 5 shot with the magnetospeed attached to the barrel. 25yds.
Posted By: jeeper Re: .360 Buckhammer - 05/18/23

A rushed group with 3 shot without and 5 shot with the magnetospeed attached to the barrel. 25yds.

That's some good stuff right there.
Posted By: jeeper Re: .360 Buckhammer - 05/18/23

That's some good stuff right there.

Oh what's the barrel length and twist rate if you know it ?
Posted By: Dinny Re: .360 Buckhammer - 05/19/23
22" long and 1:18.75" twist

Tonight I deprimed and resized the brass I fired today. 35gr sat a bit lower in the case so I loaded 4 with 35.5gr and 4 with 36.0gr. I also formed 10 other pieces to try with Fed 215 LRM primers just to see if it makes a difference.
Posted By: Rich44 Re: .360 Buckhammer - 05/19/23
Dinny
What brass did you end up using
Posted By: zcm82 Re: .360 Buckhammer - 05/19/23

Very cool 👍 Looks really good for initial throw together loads... betting you'll be able to squeeze some cloverleafs out of that barrel with some fiddling.
Posted By: Dinny Re: .360 Buckhammer - 05/19/23
Dinny
What brass did you end up using

Mixed brands of 30-30 Win.
Posted By: Dinny Re: .360 Buckhammer - 05/21/23
I didn't take a picture of the group I shot with ammo using the Federal magnum primers. It was embarrassing. I believe the slower speeds and poorer accuracy is due to too low of a powder charge being used in fireformed brass. I'll load a ladder and work my way up shooting them over a chrono.

Posted By: Dinny Re: .360 Buckhammer - 05/27/23
I used Fed 215 LR magnum primers with these loads today. I'm going back to LR standard primers. Although my SD was only 13 for the one load I chrono'd today, accuracy was abysmal.

These bullets were chrono'd at 2372fps. They were used soley for fireforming as I didn't expect them to be very accurate in this barrel.

Posted By: weagle Re: .360 Buckhammer - 05/28/23
I would think these would be the ticket in the Buckhammer.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Dinny Re: .360 Buckhammer - 05/28/23
My thoughts exactly. They kill well in the 357 Maximum too.
Posted By: jeeper Re: .360 Buckhammer - 05/28/23
I used Fed 215 LR magnum primers with these loads today. I'm going back to LR standard primers. Although my SD was only 13 for the one load I chrono'd today, accuracy was abysmal.

These bullets were chrono'd at 2372fps. They were used soley for fireforming as I didn't expect them to be very accurate in this barrel.

You are probably a pioneer of sorts with your work on the loading of the 360. That's some good velocity for the amount of powder. That's in the 358 Win camp right ?
Posted By: Dinny Re: .360 Buckhammer - 05/28/23
Slower than 358 Win but maybe a little bit faster than most 35 Rem loads. Sorta depends on the 35 Rem barrel length and load.
Posted By: Dinny Re: .360 Buckhammer - 05/29/23
I loaded another ladder last night using the Speer 180gr SPFN, A1680, and WLR primers. With a little luck I'll be able to test them later today. I will also try to fire one of those Speers into a box filled with water-soaked papers and magazines. Wish me luck in getting a kitchen pass from the defacto head of household.
Posted By: Rossimp Re: .360 Buckhammer - 05/29/23
Sometimes you have to wonder if the ammo/firearms industry is involved with state game/wildlife commissions. This would be useful to them in the state creating absurd regulations so as they can boost new products for forced state compliance to utilize new inferior chambers/cartridges. All in all, these new chambers are much less desirable than ones used over the last 120 years. Just a thought. What’s the threat range and critical ballistic differences in utilizing the 30-30 Win or 35 Rem in lieu of these new chambers? I’ll tell you, not a damn thing.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: .360 Buckhammer - 05/29/23
Originally Posted by Rossimp
Sometimes you have to wonder if the ammo/firearms industry is involved with state game/wildlife commissions. This would be useful to them in the state creating absurd regulations so as they can boost new products for forced state compliance to utilize new inferior chambers/cartridges. All in all, these new chambers are much less desirable than ones used over the last 120 years. Just a thought. What’s the threat range and critical ballistic differences in utilizing the 30-30 Win or 35 Rem in lieu of these new chambers? I’ll tell you, not a damn thing.

PGC has a magazine type rule book you get with your license, they sell ads in it.
For 30 years we had a muzzle loader season after Christmas, flintlock only.
The only such season.

Around 2003 there were ads in the book for in-lines.
Odd, considering they weren't legal for anything but rifle season.
The next year we got a one week, does only, any muzzle loader season.

Our archery rules never allowed crossbows.
When I saw crossbow ads in the rule book....😉😉😉🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
If you ever want to bow hunt PA, crossbows are legal!
Posted By: Dinny Re: .360 Buckhammer - 05/29/23
I loaded another ladder last night using the Speer 180gr SPFN, A1680, and WLR primers. With a little luck I'll be able to test them later today. I will also try to fire one of those Speers into a box filled with water-soaked papers and magazines. Wish me luck in getting a kitchen pass from the defacto head of household.

Speeds:
38gr: 2369fps (two recovered bullets were fired at this speed)

37gr: 2302fps

36gr 2222fps
Posted By: Rich44 Re: .360 Buckhammer - 05/30/23
Dinny
Have you tried anything else besides 1680 yet,
I just got a tracking # from MGM for my Encore barrel so hopefully will be doing some load testing in the next week or two.

There's two Henry 360 X models on gunbroker, maybe the blued & Walnut version will show up soon at some gun shops
Posted By: Dinny Re: .360 Buckhammer - 05/30/23
No other powders tested yet. I wish I had some data or more experience with Rl7. I think it would work well.
Posted By: jeeper Re: .360 Buckhammer - 05/30/23
No other powders tested yet. I wish I had some data or more experience with Rl7. I think it would work well.

RL7 might be a good one. I've been using 748 Win. and has worked well for a few cartridges. Using it for 35 Remington for awhile with success. Getting over 2200 fps out of 20" barrel pushing 212 gr. RCBS FNGC's.
Posted By: Dinny Re: .360 Buckhammer - 05/31/23
I reconfigured data in QL using 35/30-30 Win as a base reference. 1.8" case length, 2.360" COAL, 41gr of H2O, etc.

A5744 shows more promise than any other powder I looked at.

QL says my 38gr loads of A1680 are over 114Kpsi so I don't exactly trust that my data is correct or QL is computing it correctly. confused
Posted By: jrumsey Re: .360 Buckhammer - 05/31/23
I have a 360 buckhammer G2 contender 18” barrel from SSK. I stated to load this cartridge with way slow burning powders. H4895 was first and then benchmark velocity was too low with a full case of powder with these two. Next was H4198 and looked like a good fit but wanted to get a little more velocity so tried H4227 which gave more velocity but started to have high pressure signs.

Went back to H4198 using the Speer 180 grain bullet seated to the cannelure got a little over 2100FPS using 30 grains of powder in formed PPU 30-30 brass. Fired case looks fine no real pressure signs at all. I feel this load is safe in my barrel I worked up this load starting at 26 grains, so if you want to try it for yourself start there and work up for your rifle.

For now this gets me close enough, and will wait for load data from Hodgdon. I am interested in which powders Hodgdon specs for this cartridge.
Posted By: jrumsey Re: .360 Buckhammer - 05/31/23
I wanted to add this about forming 30-30 brass. I am using RCBS dies and replaced the decapping rod with a .338 decapping rod with expander to do the first pass neck up. I rough trim the brass first to 1.810” then do the first pass with the sizing die, next I use the .358” expander die then resize again to get everything in spec then trim to 1.800”. Run the .358” expander again, brass is now ready to prime and load.
Posted By: Buckeye Re: .360 Buckhammer - 06/02/23
I used to load the 180gr Speer FN in my 356 win & increased pressure loads in my 35 Rem .. what game I shot .. I never recovered a bullet .. but expansion was diffidently noticed … .. its a good bullet .. stout bullet
Posted By: Bugger Re: .360 Buckhammer - 06/02/23
It’s my understanding that 30-30 brass isn’t built for the pressures some of the cartridges such as the 375 Win and the 360 B. will generate. In my 375 Win, I only use reformed 30-30 brass for cast loads.
Posted By: aboltfan Re: .360 Buckhammer - 06/02/23
For the sake of conversation, wouldn't it be easier to form cases by starting with 38-55 brass?
Posted By: Rich44 Re: .360 Buckhammer - 06/02/23
Yes if you have them or .375 winchester I've formed 360 BH from both but I have a good supply of each and 30-30 brass is much easier to find
Posted By: Dinny Re: .360 Buckhammer - 06/04/23
I have to treat this barrel as though it's a superlight. It shoots 2 shot groups really well. 😁

38.5gr A1680 and the 180gr Speer SPFN average 2402fps and shot into 1.25" at 50yds.

I'll chrono the 200gr FTX loads in a few weeks after I get back from Maine. My son will be hunting black bear for the first time. He'll be carrying his 357 Maxi Handi rifle loaded with the 180gr Barnes TSX FN.

Posted By: RAM Re: .360 Buckhammer - 06/06/23
It's here , called a .44 mag 😂
Posted By: Rich44 Re: .360 Buckhammer - 06/06/23
MGM Encore barrel is in also have some Rem factory 180 & 200gr ammo on the way should be here this week, going to load up some test loads with 1680 and H4198 to start
Posted By: jeeper Re: .360 Buckhammer - 06/07/23
I have to treat this barrel as though it's a superlight. It shoots 2 shot groups really well. 😁

38.5gr A1680 and the 180gr Speer SPFN average 2402fps and shot into 1.25" at 50yds.

I'll chrono the 200gr FTX loads in a few weeks after I get back from Maine. My son will be hunting black bear for the first time. He'll be carrying his 357 Maxi Handi rifle loaded with the 180gr Barnes TSX FN.

Allowing barrel to cool between shots ? Maybe needs break in period ? I had a Marlin 336 that would do the 2 shot groups. Somewhere around 200 shots through it and it almost suddenly started producing great 5 shot groups. I did the typical forearm stress relieving and all that jazz to no avail. Around 200 shots it just clicked.
Posted By: armchair Re: .360 Buckhammer - 06/07/23
after reading all the posts it's clear many just post w/o reading the whole thread.
looks like a nice cartridge for the single shot and lever folks.
just bought a 350 Legend savage pistol for 1/2 retail. The .355-6 business makes no sense but NOE will make me a mold. Scoped it will be a fun steel ringer.
Posted By: 4570fan Re: .360 Buckhammer - 06/08/23
There are some Henry X models on Gunbroker now.
Posted By: Westslope406 Re: .360 Buckhammer - 06/29/23
I have a ordered Henry X model that should be here Monday from Scheels and this info is very helpful
Posted By: WFR Re: .360 Buckhammer - 07/13/23
Originally Posted by Westslope406
I have a ordered Henry X model that should be here Monday from Scheels and this info is very helpful
Did you shoot it yet?
Very intrigued by all of this!
Posted By: AP2020 Re: .360 Buckhammer - 08/11/23
Just started down the 360 Buckhammer path!

https://youtube.com/shorts/VCM1iimuaa0?feature=share

https://youtube.com/shorts/QevBWIz3HdU?feature=share
Posted By: Dinny Re: .360 Buckhammer - 09/05/23
https://www.360bhmr.com

Posted By: aboltfan Re: .360 Buckhammer - 09/06/23
Hodgdon now has data available via email. Give them a call and they'll send it to you. It's not on their website right now.

Loads listed for bullet weights from 180-250gr. CFE BLK and A1680 have the highest listed muzzle velocities. 2400-2500 fps for 180s and 2300+ for 200s.

I just got my CVA Scout back from Mike Bellm that I had rechambered to 360 BH. I haven't got a chance to go to the range with it yet. For now I'll be using 200gr. Rem. factory loads. As I create some brass, I'll start working on loading Speer 180gr. FP and 200gr. Hornady FTX.
Posted By: Dinny Re: .360 Buckhammer - 11/11/23

More testing will be done with magnum primers.
Posted By: Ranger99 Re: .360 Buckhammer - 11/11/23

More testing will be done with magnum primers.

Good to know. Thanks for posting
© 24hourcampfire