Home
Posted By: Rodney482 2023 Marlin 336 walnut/blue - 01/17/23
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]upload photos
Barrel band or forend cap?
Originally Posted by Nessmuk
Barrel band or forend cap?

Photo, bottom right.
Zoom. Yup, band.
I am glad they went with blued steel and walnut for the reintroduction of the 336. A nod to tradition.
About damn time. I wish they'd gone back to non-checkered wood. Wonder if they'll bring back .35 Rem and/or the new "Buckhammer".
Originally Posted by TnBigBore
I am glad they went with blued steel and walnut for the reintroduction of the 336. A nod to tradition.

Ditto
Looks great.
Love walnut/blue
Originally Posted by SCGunNut
About damn time. I wish they'd gone back to non-checkered wood. Wonder if they'll bring back .35 Rem and/or the new "Buckhammer".
I don't need another .30-30, already got three. I'd bet they'll chamber it for the .360 Buckhammer before .35 Rem.. What a stupid fuggin name, "Buckhammer". Even worse than Creedmoor.
Posted By: zcm82 Re: 2023 Marlin 336 walnut/blue - 01/17/23
Makes me think of the old Remington Buckhammer slugs every single time I read it. Those things shot awesome out of old Hastings paradox slug barrels.
Originally Posted by zcm82
Makes me think of the old Remington Buckhammer slugs every single time I read it. Those things shot awesome out of old Hastings paradox slug barrels.

Yup, they were like a big assed wadcutter. Never shot any, but bet they "hammered" anything they hit. I remember Craig Boddington using them to stone some sort of exotic Ibex in some far away corner of the globe where they had to use smoothbores.
Posted By: zcm82 Re: 2023 Marlin 336 walnut/blue - 01/17/23
My old man used them several seasons back in the 2000s. They left very big holes, both entry and exit.

Aside from the cost and recoil, another crappy thing about shotgun slugs is different styles seem to come and go pretty fast. A lot of times you'd find a really good shooter, only for them to promptly be discontinued.

We're limited (30+ caliber straight walls plus a few short bottlenecks) rifle now, and I'll frankly miss any slugs about as much as a toothache.
Posted By: iskra Re: 2023 Marlin 336 walnut/blue - 01/18/23
A damn nice looking apparent back to basics Marlin Ruger edition with O/P! ! I too like the classic looks and also agree at least in initial edition. The two questions in my mind, as $$$ or $$$$ and of ever just why not an original, particularly in the pre safety editions. I can see where quality blue & walnut as featured can present great visuals, but I'm good with an original price-friendly used.
Best!
John
https://youtube.com/shorts/yfl4UqN2kl4?feature=share
Too bad they added a safety. Good lord half cock!!
Count me among those who’ve always preferred the Marlin 336 over the Winchester 94. I’ve got an original, JM-stamped 336 of my own in .35 Remington, but the .30-30 versions were far and away more popular in the Kentucky deer camps I frequented as a kid. Like most Marlin fans, I’ve been encouraged by the new Ruger-made 1895s in .45-70, but what I really wanted to see was an update of the classic deer rifle. Yesterday, I did. I got to shoot a half dozen rounds through the brand-new Marlin 336 Classic, built under Ruger ownership, and I was impressed. The rifle was easy to hit with. The test model wore open sights, but it’s of course drilled and tapped for a scope base. Aesthetically, it looks just like a later-model original Marlin (it does have a cross-bolt safety). It would be just as handy in the timber, too, with a 20.25-inch barrel and 6+1 capacity. The rifle I shot was chambered in .30-30, which is probably the better way to go, but I’m told the new 336 Classic will be available in .35 Remington, too. That’s good timing, since a couple major ammo makers (Federal and Remington) are again loading that classic round. New 336 Classic rifles will supposedly be available in early 2023. —Will Brantley
336's have always shot better for me than Winchesters, by a good margin.
A grip cap and 375Win, I'd buy one.
I hope it is produced in the new .360 round. I would buy one. I do love the .35 Rem, but the ability to form brass with the .360 is extremely appealing to me.

Nice to see Ruger getting some new models out regardless. Nice touch staying true with the gold trigger too.
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by SCGunNut
I don't need another .30-30, already got three. I'd bet they'll chamber it for the .360 Buckhammer before .35 Rem.. What a stupid fuggin name, "Buckhammer". Even worse than Creedmoor.
Yeah the name does leave a lot to be desired. But then I thought 350 Legend was odd too
Posted By: acy Re: 2023 Marlin 336 walnut/blue - 01/26/23
Looks really nice, but I prefer my mid-70s 336 with no checkering. Sure am glad to see Ruger getting them out. Looking forward to the 1894. Wouldn't mind one in 357.
From what i can see in the pictures, it’s pretty for sure!
https://www.fieldandstream.com/guns...nA7Ni-X7ILvfdhDbUvs4IA1ksCjNLRq_5nRtJEXg
Posted By: MOGC Re: 2023 Marlin 336 walnut/blue - 01/26/23
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
Too bad they added a safety. Good lord half cock!!

Added safety? Or kept the same crossbolt safety that Marlin has had on the lever guns since 1984?
Posted By: Motown Re: 2023 Marlin 336 walnut/blue - 01/27/23
The safety doesn’t bother me and I’ll be trying one of these new models out.
I like the safeties. It makes it nice to load and unload them. Don't need to worry about AD with gloved hands. Once loaded, I just switch it to half-cock and push the safety over to "fire"
You don't have to chamber a round to unload one.
I hope they can keep the same finish and quality of wood once production gets going.

[Linked Image from fieldandstream.com]

As an aside, it's a shame the Ruger No. 1 doesn't have wood this nice. I was going to say "even at twice the price" but then remembered the No. 1's don't cost that much more...
I'm glad to see it. I was hoping Ruger would use cut checkering instead of the laser burned, but oh well...

Looks pretty decent to me. Looking forward to seeing one in person.

I've seen a few of the 1895's. Overall I found them to be well made and assembled. I'd say they're a 1990's quality of fit/finish (Marlin).

One I saw had a forend that was undersized where it fit the front of the receiver, but not excessively so....

All for one in the 360, I'd buy one in a blink.
Originally Posted by slingworks
I'm glad to see it. I was hoping Ruger would use cut checkering instead of the laser burned, but oh well...

Looks pretty decent to me. Looking forward to seeing one in person.

I've seen a few of the 1895's. Overall I found them to be well made and assembled. I'd say they're a 1990's quality of fit/finish (Marlin).

One I saw had a forend that was undersized where it fit the front of the receiver, but not excessively so....

All for one in the 360, I'd buy one in a blink.

I too would buy one in 360 if they don't make one in 35 Remington.
For those that can't live with the X/bolt safety

Beartooth Merc sells a easily installed delete bolt

https://beartoothmercantile.com/stainless-basic-safety-delete-for-marlin-rifle/
I want a stainless 35 rem or 360.
Not too many good pics available yet but the 1894 is supposed to be coming out in late spring. .44 Magnum first, then .357 and later .45 Colt.

"The Model 1894 Carbine will initially be offered in the .44 Remington Magnum and .357 Magnum cartridges. .45 Long Colt will be available down the road. Ruger has indicated that different options, such as a shorter barrel, octagonal barrel, and threaded barrel, will be rolled out as the Marlin line develops."

[Linked Image from thefirearmblog.com]
Wonder if they will do a stainless 357 or 44 and what twist
An octagon, stainless 45!
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Not too many good pics available yet but the 1894 is supposed to be coming out in late spring. .44 Magnum first, then .357 and later .45 Colt.

"The Model 1894 Carbine will initially be offered in the .44 Remington Magnum and .357 Magnum cartridges. .45 Long Colt will be available down the road. Ruger has indicated that different options, such as a shorter barrel, octagonal barrel, and threaded barrel, will be rolled out as the Marlin line develops."

[Linked Image from thefirearmblog.com]

Actually looks great

Like to see one up close & test 'er out
https://www.marlinfirearms.com/s/leverAction/
Posted By: Teeder Re: 2023 Marlin 336 walnut/blue - 02/03/23
Very nice!
Sign me up for one in .360 Buckthumper!
© 24hourcampfire