Home
Posted By: COLORADO_LUCKYDOG Marlin Dark Series!! - 03/05/23
Anyone who pays thousands of dollars for this rifle, will never be my business partner! Just saying....
Posted By: Angus1895 Re: Marlin Dark Series!! - 03/05/23
Remember all them $350 dollar marlins at the pawn shop?

I have nightmares of all them buggers I put back on the rack and not in my pick up!
Posted By: tmitch Re: Marlin Dark Series!! - 03/05/23
Supply and demand
Posted By: PintsofCraft Re: Marlin Dark Series!! - 03/06/23
+1
Posted By: Anschutz Re: Marlin Dark Series!! - 03/07/23
Originally Posted by Angus1895

I have nightmares of all them buggers I put back on the rack and not in my pick up!

I got my Guide Gun F2F in an Academy parking lot for $400 with 38 rounds of ammo. Walked inside to see how I did and the rifle was ~$650 and ammo was ~$40 per box. I think I did alright.
Posted By: reivertom Re: Marlin Dark Series!! - 03/08/23
I bought a nice 1974 vintage 336 in 30-30, for 325 bucks right before Marlin went under and the prices went gonzo.. If I hadn't I just would have to do without. Prices are just stupid these days. Did the very same with revolvers. I bought them when nobody else was.
Posted By: zcm82 Re: Marlin Dark Series!! - 03/08/23

First pawn shop Marlin I bought was under $100 and I'm not even that old yet 😬 That woulda been back in maybe 2001/2002. Old plain as a tin bucket model 30. I had one of the Monkey Wards Western Field branded ones that set me back even less, too. 70-80 bucks...something like that. They almost gave those store branded ones away at pawn shops.

I remember thinking how good I was doing dumping them off for a couple hundred bucks... right before the Marlin implosion. Hindsight 🤣

Ranks right up there with selling my Remington 7600 for $300-ish shortly before prices went nuts... whoopsie.
Posted By: Mack1112 Re: Marlin Dark Series!! - 04/06/23
Agreed
Posted By: Bugger Re: Marlin Dark Series!! - 04/06/23
At the Tulsa show last week end, most of the Marlin 336's were $1,200 and up. I saw one table where the prices were below $1,000. I don't think any were selling though. There were more 336's than anything else at the show, I think.
Posted By: IMR4350 Re: Marlin Dark Series!! - 04/07/23
Crazy prices today. About 15 years ago I picked up a pre safety JM stamped 336 in 30-30 for 325 bucks. It was sought of an impulse buy but its been a great rifle. I still remember seeing other Marlins that day going for 300.
I should have bought a couple more.
Posted By: SheriffJoe Re: Marlin Dark Series!! - 04/07/23
Guy I once worked for has a $700k Lamborghini.

Guessing he'll never work for...me.

If you don't own the rifle, aren't buying or selling one...what difference does the price of something matter?
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Marlin Dark Series!! - 04/07/23
Originally Posted by Bugger
At the Tulsa show last week end, most of the Marlin 336's were $1,200 and up. I saw one table where the prices were below $1,000. I don't think any were selling though. There were more 336's than anything else at the show, I think.

One of the reasons I quit going.
Posted By: mooshoo Re: Marlin Dark Series!! - 05/10/23
if you don't like the price don't buy, i don't see where its going to get better like the old days those days are gone. you should buy what you want and what makes you happy cause tomorrow it will be more expensive. so you can count your money instead of shooting something you like. i also didn't think I'd be paying 100 bucks for primers but I'll pay what it takes to make my reloads cause i love too shoot! my treasures that I've been buying
Posted By: Remhunter Re: Marlin Dark Series!! - 05/19/23
I had a first year 760 in 30-06, that I got in a trade years ago, and it was absolutely perfect, I would even argue unfired. I gave it to my brother in law, because all he had was a 30-30. Oh how I wish I could just take it back today.... Hindsight is indeed always 20/20.
Posted By: dave284 Re: Marlin Dark Series!! - 05/19/23

I get sad when I think of all the Win 94's and Marlin 336's I passed on for $100.00 and even less back in the early '80s.
Posted By: MOGC Re: Marlin Dark Series!! - 05/19/23
When I was a kid the local WalMart ran a sale just before deer season every year, Marlin 336 or Winchester 94 .30-30, take your pick for $79.99! That went on for years back then. I remember buying two Marlins at that price. The price jumped to $109.99 after several years and the deer hunters howled like banshees over the price hike.
Posted By: moosemike Re: Marlin Dark Series!! - 05/19/23
Funny thing is the 30-30 was always considered the rifle for the guy who couldn't afford a bolt action. Now it's the other way around
Posted By: MOGC Re: Marlin Dark Series!! - 05/19/23
Around the Ozark's the lever .30-30 was the poor man's rifle. The semi auto Remington was considered a step up and the Browning BAR was the elite rifle. Bolt actions were pretty scarce and were sort of in between the lever guns and the BAR.
Posted By: Bugger Re: Marlin Dark Series!! - 05/19/23
I’m thinking as an alternative to unloading my guns is to, when I kick the bucket, have the offspring draw straws. The one with the longest straw gets first choice, the second longest gets second choice, third longest third choice, my fourth child died and we suspect her husband did it - he’s out of it. Then the longest straw person gets the fourth choice etc.

One reason for keeping the guns is that they should continue to have value even after the Democrats destroy our country.
Posted By: micky Re: Marlin Dark Series!! - 06/25/23
Originally Posted by Bugger
I’m thinking as an alternative to unloading my guns is to, when I kick the bucket, have the offspring draw straws. The one with the longest straw gets first choice, the second longest gets second choice, third longest third choice, my fourth child died and we suspect her husband did it - he’s out of it. Then the longest straw person gets the fourth choice etc.

One reason for keeping the guns is that they should continue to have value even after the Democrats destroy our country.

Look up a snake draft. You would draw straws by the person who gets the long straw goes 1st and 6th, middle straw goes 2nd and 5th and short straw goes 3rd and 4th.
© 24hourcampfire