Home
I love the old school lever action rifles such as Winchester and Marlin. I don't want to add optics to these types of guns.

That being said I have a couple rifles that don't shoot exactly where I aim but I get tight groupings. Elevation is easy to adjust with my buckhorn rear sights. (Maybe too easy since I mess up the elevation when I carry the rifle)
Windage is what I'm really concerned about.
What is a good sight pusher for the front sight of a rifle?
For rifles that have the front sight dovetailed into a ramp, I use a Williams brand sight pusher.
A flat face punch and gentle tapping with a small hammer shouldn't mark it up.
Wyoming Sight Drifter - keep one in my range bag and muzzleloader box and at the work bench. Had them since I read an article Mike Venturino wrote in Rifle magazine - thanks Mike!!

PennDog
What Penndog said !
With a brass punch it's like - tap tap tap ... doesn't move.
Tap tap tap ... moves too far.
With this method I can get it close. For fine adjustment I'm going to try the Williams sight pusher. I think that should work good.
Correct sized brass punch punch & brass hammer

Seems Marlins worked best L-R coming out whole way

Kroil & heat if needed
I use the Wyoming sight drifter. The Williams doesn't work well unless the dovetail is in a ramp, not directly in the barrel.

Originally Posted by tmitch
I use the Wyoming sight drifter. The Williams doesn't work well unless the dovetail is in a ramp, not directly in the barrel.
Good point. My Marlin sight is in a ramp but my Winchester 1873 is directly in the octagon barrel so it may not work for that rifle.
The thing I like about the sight adjusters with the screw crank is they seem to be easy to adjust even when I want to go just a few thousandths.
Both of those guns are so close I worry that a punch or even the Wyoming sight drifter might go too far.
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
A flat face punch and gentle tapping with a small hammer shouldn't mark it up.

This is the method I use. I have also used a brass punch.
Another vote for the Wyoming Sight Drifter. So much easier to control than a punch and hammer.
Originally Posted by PennDog
Wyoming Sight Drifter - keep one in my range bag and muzzleloader box and at the work bench. Had them since I read an article Mike Venturino wrote in Rifle magazine - thanks Mike!!

PennDog
+1 they are the tits
Mb
I was trying like hell yesterday to remove the rear sight from a 1953 M64.

I whacked that sucker 20 times with my Wyoming Drifter. No bueno. Did not budge. And I am not a newbie using the drifter.

Pulled out the punch and hammer and had the rear sight out in 10 seconds.

I like the drifter, but you ought to have multiple methods so you have a back-up.
Originally Posted by Tarbe
I was trying like hell yesterday to remove the rear sight from a 1953 M64.

I whacked that sucker 20 times with my Wyoming Drifter. No bueno. Did not budge. And I am not a newbie using the drifter.

Pulled out the punch and hammer and had the rear sight out in 10 seconds.

I like the drifter, but you ought to have multiple methods so you have a back-up.

Heat & Kroil

Big hammer
© 24hourcampfire