Home
Posted By: RAS Marlin 336 ADL with Bishop Wood - 02/16/24
35 Rem

Gun is in 99% condition. Wood is incredible. I had the USA made steel Weaver scope on there refurbished so I know it will be good. Fancy rings.

Only con: There is a tiny piece of wood missing by the tang of the butt stock. See picture

What do you think? Eleven pictures total coming.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Small piece of missing wood

Nice
Nice wood.
Very nice. Maybe possible to repair that little chip. Maybe some accuglass tinted ?
Marlin plate? Didn't see a Bullseye? Even though Bishop supplied the wood on these, so far the one's I've seen were to JM spec.'s thus limiting "resto mods" , purty sure the Col.'s bible says Bishop supplied wood, not stocks..

I could make that chip disappear, so if you have a local wood guy worth his salt, should be no issue.
That is nice.
I have two A's in .35, but not as nice as that one.
That is a nice rifle. I never heard of Bishop's wood.
Originally Posted by tnanh
That is a nice rifle. I never heard of Bishop's wood.
Bishop, like Fajen was a supplier of semi-inletted stocks. I think they did some finish work as well.

Ya gotta be "long in the tooth" to remember such. You probably too young.

I'd relieve the metal to wood contact to prevent further chipping and would glass as posted earlier with Acraglas Gel colored to match the wood.

DF
I'd replace the "period correct" scope with some high end low powered glass and then hunt everything with that....
Beauty of a rifle - have often wanted one of those but haven’t had the opportunity yet - someday maybe??! Would love to try that in lever silhouette matches!!

Thanks for sharing!

PennDog
Originally Posted by 2ndwind
I'd replace the "period correct" scope with some high end low powered glass and then hunt everything with that....

That scope will hunt........
Here is a poor scan from the 1958 Shooters Bible.
My copy is in poor condition.
Note the piece on this rifle. A Savage 99R was $116.75 in this issue.
Admittedly $20,00 was a good amount of money in 1958.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Here is a better scan of the cheek piece.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
nice wood, looks beautiful
© 24hourcampfire