Home
Man, I really like this 454 Casull Puma. This thing shoots anything I run through it like no tomorrow. Just shooting at 25-30yds to get it dialed in. 2 weeks ago I shot a 2 inch 10 shot group with the following loads:
335gr CP WFNGC 23gr H110

335gr 26gr H110
forgot to turn on the chrony for the first 2 shots- duh...

Today I bumped it up and it shot like a dream:

335gr CP WFNGC 27gr H110
~~~~~
Avg 1837

[Linked Image]

335gr CP WFNGC 28gr H110
Avg1946 !!

I put the first two in, had a flyer to the right, let my buddy shoot it and he shot the flyer to the left, I then put the 3rd one in. This looks like it otta be a great moose huntin round.

[Linked Image]

We also shot these just plinkin shooting standing off hand. All of these rounds including the above were at 25-30 yds and I never touched the sights!

454 Casull brass, 255gr RNFP with 10.5 gr Unique, CCI 400 primer:

[Linked Image]

45 Colt 255gr Keith style with 8.5gr Unique, CCI 300 primer:

[Linked Image]

Now it'll be time to jet get out and shoot and see how she (and I, mostly I) do at 50 and 100yds+

This is one great little rifle. Did I say I LIKE this gun?!?:D
What no pics of the rifle????

That sounds and looks like a good shooter.

Mike
Here you go. It holds 10 in the tube and one in the hole laugh

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Was the recoil bad stock? Or did you add it?
The recoil pad comes stock on the 454's. I was in the market for a 45 Colt levergun to go with my 45 Colt Redhawk when someone told me about the 454. I figured I may as well get it. It shoots the 45 Colts just a good. Also, they use a different metallurgy and hardness of the steel in the 454 to handle the higher pressure.
Very Nice!!!!
Congrats. I've got an old .44 WCF Puma that I like very much. Not as slick as my '92, but not as expensive either.
Originally Posted by Snyd
Here you go. It holds 10 in the tube and one in the hole laugh

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Yep, I really need another one of those.
One of the first "assault" rifles......very nice!!
I really realy like mine. One of them 'keep it forever' guns in my safe. Thanks VA!! smile The trade I made with VA for my .454 Rossi was my first, (of MANY...... smile )made here at 24hrcf when I was a new mwmber. Still one of my best aquisitions.

I had a gunsmith remove the bolt safety on mine and fill the hole then polish it up. Looks a lot better to me and no worries about the safety being on when I need it in a hurry.

Congrats and thanks for the report and data. I will be using your data.

Originally Posted by safariman
I really realy like mine. One of them 'keep it forever' guns in my safe. Thanks VA!! smile The trade I made with VA for my .454 Rossi was my first, (of MANY...... smile )made here at 24hrcf when I was a new mwmber. Still one of my best aquisitions.

I had a gunsmith remove the bolt safety on mine and fill the hole then polish it up. Looks a lot better to me and no worries about the safety being on when I need it in a hurry.

Congrats and thanks for the report and data. I will be using your data.

Ya, a keeper is right. This thing is a blast to shoot. I think I'm going to order the replacement plug for the safety and the stainless follower from StevesGunz, the Puma guru. Remember, 28gr H110 is 2gr OVER Hodgdon's max load. I used new Starline Brass and CCI LPM primers.

I think I'll see what I can get out of the 360gr CP WFNGC's next. I think guys are getting 1800+ fps.
Are you saying a person can use 45 colt bullet in a 454 l/a?
I have a new in the box SS/plastic stock .454. Wish it was in someone else's house. Unfired. I can no longer afford to do to it what I want to do with it. Need to finish the other dozen or so projects in the shop.

PM if you want a smoking deal on this one.
Originally Posted by nebrcowgirl
Are you saying a person can use 45 colt bullet in a 454 l/a?

Yep. BT/DT.
Will cover me in sage brush I have been riding my horse backwards,I didn't know this.I have owned my 454 for over 1 year.I wonder if I can find any 45 ammo in this he hell state,am visiting.Indiana.People got concrete geese on their porches dressed to the seasons.
Amazing performance from a carbine. I have been killing deer and hogs for years with a .44 Mag Marlin 1894, getting around 1500 fps with a 270 grain bullet.
The results with the .454 are head and shoulders better.
Think they will make puma in 500sw?
Originally Posted by cutNshoot
Think they will make puma in 500sw?

No.

Unless I am missing something on their web page, the production of the Puma has been moved to Italy and guns in the .480 and .454 are not listed. I am assuming production of these rifles has ceased at least for awhile. pak
I think you'll find the US distributior is selling Armi sport made '92's, and are not 'Puma's' made by Rossi in Brazil (Who are still happily making them.)

You can tell real easy by price as well - the Italian ones made by Armi cost an arm and a leg....
I have one of these too, So far only used it on paper and a hog but sure was happy with it. Every time we go to the range with it it is a favorite with anyone I let shoot it. And with the 45s my wife loves it recoil is like a 22.
Guys,

I have one of these, blue with 20" barrel. It kicks butt on both ends with full power loads!

BT
Blowtorch53,

Welcome to 24hrcf!

Yeah, with Buffalo Bore, cor bon or other 300-335gr loads it can come back at ya a bit.
Still wanting to see the video of that guinea fowl that ran afoul of the .454, and looked like it stepped on a landmine in the doing so.
© 24hourcampfire