Home

Has anyone ever seen one? This gun has a 20" octagon barrel, the tang safety, and was made in Japan. The barrel is stamped "1 of 500" and it's a 32-20. Any info including value would be appreciated.

Here is one currently for sale on gunbroker.com:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=248969790

I dunno, if you are going to spend $1,100 for either a collectible or a shooter, why not purchase an original Winchester 1892 for about the same price.

CDNN has them for $999. On that Gunbroker auction, the guy surcharges credit cards and does not offer an inspection.

I'd rahtrer have an original muyself also

WildasvoidbadgbdealersAlaska ��2002-2011
Originally Posted by Wildalaska
CDNN has them for $999. On that Gunbroker auction, the guy surcharges credit cards and does not offer an inspection.

I'd rahtrer have an original muyself also

WildasvoidbadgbdealersAlaska ��2002-2011

I couldn't agree more. Well said.

You can buy an original in 95% or better condition for $1000?

Originally Posted by JBLEDSOE

You can buy an original in 95% or better condition for $1000?

Yeah, that I doubt! Usually beater Winchester 92's go for that kinda money!
Wonderful but made in Japan. No thanks!
Originally Posted by Swampman700

made in Japan yes, but at least you are getting something that works out of the box.

Our shop is the Browning service center for Alaska.....I file maybe three claims a year. IMHO Browning has the best QC of any of the major gun companies save Colt.

WildjustanobservationAlaska ��2002-2011
That's wonderful, but I'm not interested in a Jap rifle. I've owned many of them....no soul.
Yep, have some personal experience with exactly the model you describe. It brought $1350 USD. Very nice gun, excellent condition.

I use to have the same idea about Made in Japan firearms until I bought a Browning 1886 Rifle in 45-70 about 6 months ago.The workmanship is excellent!The actions are as smooth as butter,wood to metal fit is also excellent.The only reason I didn't buy a Winchester is I don't care for the tang safety and re bounding hammer,The Browning's don't have them.
A lot more then I can say for the junk Marlins that Remington is putting out right now.And I'm a Marlin fan from way back.
[Linked Image]
I had a Browning exactly like that. No thanks...

To each his own.
I've got an old Winchester 32-20 Mfg. in 1912.

It started as a 25-20, and was rebored and refinished.

Not exactly a "factory" 32-20 but is a darn nice looking shooter.

Gave $1000. even for it, and would again in a heartbeat.

Works for me!

Virgil B.
Nothing wrong with a Miroku built 92. Of all the Winchester 92 clones out there, Miroku builds the best IMO. I have a Miroku built Browning 92 that I bought new back in the early 80's that remains one of my favorite rifles.

However, I also have an original Winchester 1892 SRC mfg. in 1914. Shooting it and the Browning side by side there is no question which is the better built rifle. The original Winchester, despite it's age and graying patina, still has the tighter, crisper action.

But to each their own, if you're patient you can still pick up an original Winchester 1892 in decent shape in the $1,000 price range. You're not going to find one in 95% condition for that price of course, but you can find one that's a decent shooter and will hold it's value.

Around here about you can get for $1000 in a '92 is a rusty "klunker" with a black bore, a rifle so ugly it makes you eyes water. No thanks, you can keep your "collector grade" Winchesters.

What exactly is wrong with a rebounding hammer?

I bought one of the first M92 45 Colts I saw in this area that Browning imported from Japan using the Winchester name (around 1998 I think). The rifle was made by Miroku and is as well made as any Citori or Jap A-5 I have seen or owned. While it lacks the charisma of the early guns (so do post-64 Winchester's) it is a damn site better made than any recent Marlin or late Winchester. If you want one go buy it - they are well built rifles.

Swampy,

Did you translate Wildalaska's statement, "Es ist nichts schrecklicher als eine t�tige Unwissenheit"? Copy and post in your URL. I think it fits.

DF
I have the Browning 53 in that caliber, which is close to the same gun w/o the tang safety. I put a Marbles tang sight on it, and it's my preferred small game gun. If turkeys were legal to hunt with rifles here, I'd use it for those, too. Fun gun, accurate, no recoil, and cheap to reload with cast bullets. I push a 120 gr. bullet to about 1250 for edible game, and a 100 gr. HP to 1400 for non-edible. Shoot to same POI at 50 yds. wouldn't give that one up, and I liked it so much I just bought a Browning 92 in .44 mag for a walking around gun. Still playing with that, but both actions are smooth, they feed perfectly as long as you watch OAL, and are utterly reliable and accurate. Love them, Japanese made or not. I have an 1886 with the tang safety too, and am considering a Browning 71 carbine that's available locally.
The 'new' 1892 Winchester "CDNN" is selling for $999 - is NOT one of the above stamped "1 OF 500" 1892 rifles being offered.

CDNN is offering a high-grade limited-edition:
"Deluxe Series Winchester 1892 Lever Action Repeater"
TAKEDOWN Octagon Barrel - Satin Finish Grade II/III Walnut
Also has Pistol Grip Stock and higher grade checkering.

These rifles are (were) DAVIDSON'S Exclusives offered in the following calibers: 32-20 ~ 44-40 ~ 38-40 ~ 45 Long Colt

In each of the above calibers:
501 Takedown rifles were Mfg. with a 20" barrel.
251 Takedown rifles were Mfg. with a 24" barrel.

CDNN is listing the 32-20 model ONLY with the 24" barrel.

I have the 24" barrel 1892 Takedown in 45 Colt.
These rifles list/listed on Davidson's site for $1899.95. (CDNN price $999.)
They are shipped in a 'BLACK' Special Box Sleeve and letter of Authenticity.

CDNN is easy to do business with -
A phone call, credit card #, and they ship 'promptly' to my FFL Holder (pawn broker).

"CDNN is easy to do business with -
A phone call, credit card #, and they ship 'promptly' to my FFL Holder (pawn broker)."

Yes, CDNN is easy. I have purchased several guns from CDNN over the years and have always been pleased with the deal.

A prejudiced attitude toward foreign manufactured products will deprive a buyer of most of the higher end merchandize available today.

© 24hourcampfire