Home
Posted By: Stan_in_SC Ruger 96/44 - 11/12/11
I just bought a used Ruger 96/44 that looks like brand new.There is not much if any discussion on here concerning these.This is the second one I have ever owned.I never should have gotten rid of the first one.I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet but have high hopes for it.
These were made for 11 years starting in 1996.The one I got was manufactured in 1997.
Are there any more Ruger lever gun owners on here?

Stan in SC
Posted By: Strider Re: Ruger 96/44 - 11/12/11
I have one. I suppose it doesn't have the historical feel of a traditional lever, but there is something to be said for a lever that you can cycle with a flick of your fingers without taking your hand off the stock. And, I don't feel bad about putting a scope on it. It actually looks like it should have a scope on it. My 14 year old daughter adopted it as her hunting rifle this year. Light, accurate; I don't know why they didn't gain more of a following. I also like the fact that you can load and unload it in a flash if you are going in and out of a vehicle or walking down the road. That magazine is handy.
Posted By: TNrifleman Re: Ruger 96/44 - 11/13/11
I have a 96/44. It is a good 44 Magnum lever action rifle. While it isn't "traditional" like my Marlins and Winchesters, it is a handy, accurate rifle that has found a home.
Posted By: mike7mm08 Re: Ruger 96/44 - 11/13/11
I have two including this sweet custom job. Very nice rifles except for the factory stock. [Linked Image]
Posted By: BlackFrog Re: Ruger 96/44 - 11/21/11
Originally Posted by Strider
I have one. I suppose it doesn't have the historical feel of a traditional lever, but there is something to be said for a lever that you can cycle with a flick of your fingers without taking your hand off the stock. And, I don't feel bad about putting a scope on it. It actually looks like it should have a scope on it. My 14 year old daughter adopted it as her hunting rifle this year. Light, accurate; I don't know why they didn't gain more of a following. I also like the fact that you can load and unload it in a flash if you are going in and out of a vehicle or walking down the road. That magazine is handy.

Agreed!
I have several 96/44's. My favorite deer rifle for a long time and I like it better than any other lever out there.
Never liked levers where you had to shuck out shells one at a time to unload. What a pain when you're in/out of vehicles often.
When I heard they were discontinuing the 96/44, I bought another just to leave it in the box.
All wear Leup 1.5-5x heavy duplex with Leupold's ruger rings which are lower than factory Ruger low rings.

Accuracy has been dependant on the particual rifle. Some shoot fine, but one I had would not group well at all trying a large variety of ammo brands and bullet weights.

Love the 96/44.

Always hoping Ruger would make a lever in their 480, but I know that ain't gonna happen....
Posted By: Patrick_James Re: Ruger 96/44 - 11/26/11
I had one and sold it. Sad day.Slickest lever action out there IMO. Just could not get pass the stock.
Posted By: Siskiyous6 Re: Ruger 96/44 - 11/26/11
I totally agree about the use of magazine rifles for youngsters.

I have a BLR and a Winchester 88, and I had my kids use them for that very reason.
Posted By: gkt5450 Re: Ruger 96/44 - 12/16/11
I sold one earlier this summer due to economical crunch. I sure wished I had it back...and those extra mags are $30 on the market! But, it was a great shooter and that short-throw lever is lightning quick. It loved the Hornady LeverEvolution ammo. I am still mad at me!
Posted By: Sherwood Re: Ruger 96/44 - 12/28/11
I've had this 44MAG since the 1990's and its a keeper!

Sherwood

[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire