Home
Posted By: Whelen Nut 38/55 Deer Load? - 10/20/12
I plan on giving my new-old Marlin 1893 38/55 some swamp time during the Michigan deer season this year.

I have two loads that shoot well:

265gr cast @ 1340

220gr Hornady FP @ 1570

Which would be your choice for a deer load? A fifty yard shot would be about the longest I would get.
Posted By: sqweeler Re: 38/55 Deer Load? - 10/20/12
I'll be using this out of a Savage 1899.I'm sure it will be just fine. [img:center][Linked Image][/img]
Posted By: TNrifleman Re: 38/55 Deer Load? - 10/20/12
The 220 grain Hornady is an excellent bullet.
Posted By: timbo762 Re: 38/55 Deer Load? - 10/20/12
It probably won't make any difference. Big bullet + modest velocity + short range = dead deer with a well placed shot. Your bullet is already the size of most other soft points after they have expanded. Without hitting a large bone, either will probably go clear through a deer.
Posted By: levergunz Re: 38/55 Deer Load? - 10/21/12
I would go with the cast bullet.It just may go thru two deer.
I would question whether the Hornady would expand much,if any at that low a velocity.I use it in my 375 and have used it at 1850 fps.While it worked on whitetail,I upped the velocity as I wasnt happy with the expansion.
Posted By: senior Re: 38/55 Deer Load? - 10/22/12
Originally Posted by levergunz
I would go with the cast bullet.It just may go thru two deer.
I would question whether the Hornady would expand much,if any at that low a velocity.I use it in my 375 and have used it at 1850 fps.While it worked on whitetail,I upped the velocity as I wasnt happy with the expansion.

If the 220 Horn didn't expand much would it not be acting just like the cast bullet your recommending wink

I like 220 Horns, have shot moose & deer at modest velocities of 1700 up to 2000fps, they work just fine.
Posted By: Whelen Nut Re: 38/55 Deer Load? - 10/22/12
Thanks guys

So if I just do the high shoulder shot I should be OK with either bullet?

I'm old enough to know not to take "iffy" shots. I just don't want to end up with a long tracking job in a MI swamp in the dark when I'm the youngest guy in camp at 68 crazy *L*L*L*L*

WN
Posted By: okiebowhunter Re: 38/55 Deer Load? - 10/24/12
Id go for the Hornady for many reasons, nothing against the cast bullets. Not to muddy the water , but next time your looking to try someting different give the Sierra 200 a shot. Their Power Jacket line of bullets has been impressive in a few calibers over the years. Although I am a die hard Hornady fan, I sneak a few Sierra Power Jackets in now and again.

Posted By: Whelen Nut Re: 38/55 Deer Load? - 10/24/12
okie

Never thought about the 200gr Sierra. Might have to get some and play with them, too.

Thanks

WN
Posted By: senior Re: 38/55 Deer Load? - 10/24/12
Originally Posted by Whelen Nut
Thanks guys

So if I just do the high shoulder shot I should be OK with either bullet?

I'm old enough to know not to take "iffy" shots. I just don't want to end up with a long tracking job in a MI swamp in the dark when I'm the youngest guy in camp at 68 crazy *L*L*L*L*

WN

Just shoot anywhere you would normally shot em, that's a big hole your putting right thru. 38-55s easily have more killing power than most people give them credit for!
Posted By: sqweeler Re: 38/55 Deer Load? - 10/24/12
Most 38-55's slug out .378-.381 which is why cast is the way to go.Almost all jacketed are .375 and don't shoot as well.
Posted By: Whelen Nut Re: 38/55 Deer Load? - 10/24/12
Yup. Mine is 378" but for some reason it still shoots the Hornady 220's OK. It really likes the .378" 265 cast but seems pretty slow--I know, I know crazy I've just never shot anything with a slow moving cast bullet.

First time for everything, I guess.

WN
Posted By: JBLEDSOE Re: 38/55 Deer Load? - 11/01/12

You will be amazed at what that Cast bullet load will do to a deer. Why a high shoulder shot? Take the usual lung shot. The shoulder shot will damage too much meat.
High shoulder drops them where they're standing.Not much meat up there.......
Posted By: derby_dude Re: 38/55 Deer Load? - 11/29/12
Either one will do in a deer, a elk, a bear-black or Grizzly, moose, etc.
© 24hourcampfire