Home
Posted By: FNG Browning BLR - 11/09/12
I'm not real good with the search function, so I'm sorry if this is beating a dead horse. I was ready to throw down the money on a Marlin 338MXLR, but we all know the deal there (I hadn't done my homework).

Now I'm onto the BLR. I like ammo availability of the '06, but people seem to like the short action better in this rifle. This leads me to the 358 or 300wsm. I already reload for the '06 and the WSM and would do so for the 358.

What say you?

Thanks,
Dan
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Browning BLR - 11/09/12
I started shooting a Savage 99 358 this season and like the caliber so far. Have not killed with it but recoil is nice, accuracy excellent. I don't like a hammer on a scoped rifle due to needing to flip open scope covers and cock hammer- too many thingy's to remember when it gets fast and furious. smile If unscoped, hammer guns are cool. Several Savage 99's for sale right now if you look around.
Posted By: noKnees Re: Browning BLR - 11/09/12
The 358 or a 308 win and the BLR are a good match. I have old steel framed model with a straight stock in 358

The 358 is easy to load cartridge thats good for 300 yds without much hair pulling.

I don't know how the pistol grip stocks are but I am not sure I would really want much more than a 30.06 or so in the straight stocked version. It doesn't have the greatest recoil pad and the rifle does come up a bit under recoil.

in the distant past my BLR wore a 1.75-5X burris, now a williams peep.
Posted By: 21 Re: Browning BLR - 11/09/12
No experience with the BLR, but my Savage 99 .358 is death on anything I point it at. I don't reload so Im stuck with the lousy 200 grain silvertips. It shoots the 250's far better but at the range I kill deer, within 35 yards or so, its no issue. I can only suppose a 250 grain soft point would be the "cats behind." You'll love the .358 and Im sure the BLR is a fine rifle.
Posted By: Sherwood Re: Browning BLR - 11/09/12
My sister-in-law is a lefty and hunts with a BLR in 7mm-08. She has taken elk, mountain mulies, and whitetails with this rifle.

Sherwood
Posted By: Dantheman Re: Browning BLR - 11/10/12
My 358 BLR is one of my most accurate rifles with it's favorite handload. Where I hunt is pretty open so I don't bring it out much. I did take a doe one year at a little over 100 yds and she dropped dead within 5 or 6 steps.

Dan
Posted By: viking Re: Browning BLR - 11/12/12
I have a Lighting model in 30-06, I like it. I think you would be better served by the BLR, and I own 3 marlins. If you want an oddball chambering look at the 325wsm.
Posted By: magshooter1 Re: Browning BLR - 11/12/12
.358 and BLR all the way. I too have a steel receiver with straight stock and love it. The deer and hogs don't.
Posted By: azrancher Re: Browning BLR - 11/12/12
My pard shoots a 270wsm and its great. I've got a 257 roberts and i really like it. Both pretty darn accurate[inch to 1 and 1/4 at 100 with 5 shots]. I had a long action in 7mm mag and i hated it. Long, unwieldy, had a 200 fps slow barrel and just felt clunky to me.

YMMV, Fred

P.S. I put a leather stick on cheekpiece from brownells on them all because browning puts more drop at the comb on the blr than even their shotguns. Guess your not supposed to scope them.
Posted By: 257 roberts Re: Browning BLR - 11/13/12
Originally Posted by 21
No experience with the BLR, but my Savage 99 .358 is death on anything I point it at. I don't reload so Im stuck with the lousy 200 grain silvertips. It shoots the 250's far better but at the range I kill deer, within 35 yards or so, its no issue. I can only suppose a 250 grain soft point would be the "cats behind." You'll love the .358 and Im sure the BLR is a fine rifle.
I've shot deer with that load...I like it!!!
Posted By: BlackFrog Re: Browning BLR - 11/14/12
Hornady is now making 358 Win ammo, so if you don't reload you're not stuck with trying to find older factory Winchester Silvertips:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/66...00-grain-interlock-spire-point-box-of-20
Posted By: 358win Re: Browning BLR - 11/14/12
I have newer model Browning 358 straight grip with leup. 2 X 7 scope.It will group my handloads into 1 to 1 1/2 at 100yds. 200 grain hornady interlock 48 grains h4895 wlr primers win brass. I taken a couple of deer and a hog. All one shot kills. The average range though was less than 50 yds. easy to carry and a quick second shot if needed.

358win
Posted By: magshooter1 Re: Browning BLR - 11/20/12
Originally Posted by 358win
I have newer model Browning 358 straight grip with leup. 2 X 7 scope.It will group my handloads into 1 to 1 1/2 at 100yds. 200 grain hornady interlock 48 grains h4895 wlr primers win brass. I taken a couple of deer and a hog. All one shot kills. The average range though was less than 50 yds. easy to carry and a quick second shot if needed.

358win

Dang! 358win you and I think alike. Mine wears a 1st Gen. Monarch 2-7 and I also shoot 200g Horn. SP albeit with a different powder and primer.
Posted By: bcbigbore Re: Browning BLR - 11/22/12
I have a soft spot for the older BLR 81 with the steel reciever. Had a couple in .243 but traded/sold them over the years. Just the other day I found another one and this time I'm keeping it. I make my living in remote areas of northern BC and pack a rifle for wolves during the winter. The .243 is a favorite for predators like coyote, wolf and wolverine (.22Mag for lynx) and the detachable mag on the BLR makes for a quick carbine to bring into action.
Posted By: garyb11s Re: Browning BLR - 11/23/12
[Linked Image]

358 works for me....also considering a 300 WSM
Posted By: Just a Hunter Re: Browning BLR - 11/23/12
The only BLR I had was in 257 Roberts. I bought it for my mom to use, but the hammer made her nervous for some reason so sold it. I really liked it, but for the trigger. Even with that it would still shoot to 1-1.5" for three shots.

I have a 358 Win in a Win M88. I have killed 2 MN whitetail bucks with it. One at 10 yards and the other at 180 yards. Both using 225g Nos. PT. It worked very well.
Posted By: 2muchgun Re: Browning BLR - 11/23/12
The 88 is a great rifle.

The BLR, not so much.......
Posted By: Dogslife57 Re: Browning BLR - 11/25/12
Glad this thread came up as I am also thinking of a BLR lightweight in 358. I'm likin' 35s and don't own a 358. Plan on keeping it open sights, for whatever time I got left (eyesight) to be able to use'em for up in Maine and here in PA during poor weather.
Posted By: MOGC Re: Browning BLR - 11/25/12
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
The 88 is a great rifle.

Could you explain your reply in greater detail please?
Posted By: Hairtrigger Re: Browning BLR - 11/25/12
Originally Posted by MOGC
The 88 is a great rifle.

Because some one on the internet said so!! No need to touch either rifle
Posted By: Joe Re: Browning BLR - 12/12/12
I really like my first model .358 BLR. I also had a 99 Savage in .358 but, when I got the BLR, the 99 went away. Yeah, I wish now some 30 years later that I'd kept the 99.
Posted By: kimberyote Re: Browning BLR - 12/14/12
I just blasted a yote @ 105 yards this am w/my 1975 vintage BLR 243 win. w/2.5-8 vx3 w/B&C reticles. Loading a 87 berger @ 2900 FPS. tested reticles the other day out to 400 yards & dead on. Cool little back up rifle as my 2 yote rifles are gathering dust @ my gunsmith's!
Posted By: lightning Re: Browning BLR - 12/14/12
I have an early 70's steel receiver BLR in 358 that always seems to head out the door with me. Lots of other rifles, but none seem to carry as easy as the BLR. And the deer don't like em at all! Just my 2 cents.
Posted By: MZ5 Re: Browning BLR - 12/16/12
I love the BLR platform. For whatever reason, it seems that most folks associate lever operation with a 'carbine.' That draws them to the short actions. Personally, while I do appreciate the compactness and quick-handling of the short actions at times, I don't find it particularly different or more useful than a 'full-size' rifle for most of what I do. The BLR is still very quick and handy even in long-action chamberings (never handled a magnum-length BLR, though); quicker to operate than a bolt gun by quite a ways, IMO/E.

They're also super-strong of lock-up in their current form (lock up almost exactly like an AR), and the take-down models are super-cool. smile
Posted By: Laguna Re: Browning BLR - 12/16/12
Hi FNG,

What would be your intended use?

I like BLR's, although I don't own one. I saw a hunter using one this year. It looked to be a .308 Win, which would be a perfect BLR fit. For big game out to about 350 yards...probably farther, a .308 will get the job done.
Posted By: 4sixteen Re: Browning BLR - 12/17/12
I sure like my stainless laminate takedown BLR .358 Winchester, shown here with a Leupold 2.5x Scout scope cool -

[Linked Image]

Posted By: Hairtrigger Re: Browning BLR - 12/30/12
Originally Posted by Hairtrigger
Originally Posted by MOGC
The 88 is a great rifle.

Because some one on the internet said so!! No need to touch either rifle

I just reread this!! did not read it the way I meant it to read. I get a bug over guys making opinions with no experience.
I have a Win 100 and would love to get a 88 to match it. I have a couple of BLR s and cannot figure out why any one would have a negative opinion of them.
Posted By: old_willys Re: Browning BLR - 01/07/13
Had two BLR's in 358 and one in 308 win, sadly I sold them to fund another project. Really miss my short action .358 BLR and if I were buying one today it would be a 7mm-08 takedown!
Posted By: old_willys Re: Browning BLR - 01/07/13
The only issuse I know with BLR's is Browning trigger, but a trip to Neil Jones and they all work like a dream!
Posted By: 1tnhunter Re: Browning BLR - 01/08/13
How are the triggers on these rifles? I've heard that they are on the heavy side and some smiths will not work on them.
Posted By: old_willys Re: Browning BLR - 01/08/13
Neil Jones in Erie PA is the only person I know that fixes BLR trigges.
Posted By: Dawn2Dusk Re: Browning BLR - 01/09/13
While I enjoy my BLR .358 Win, I do not enjoy the stinking packing grease Browning slathers those things in. If you buy one, CLEAN all that gunk out that you can and then clean it 10 times more. In cold weather it can be a real game stopper. Beyond that, my trigger isn't a custom bolt gun's trigger yet it's not Mossberg shotgun's either. The accuracy is there and better with quality ammo. Stopping power hasn't been a issue, as you might would have guessed. The gun looks great, functions great (once the white snot grease is gone) and it's really a plesant gun to shoulder, shoot and hunt with (even though it is a pumpkin roller).
Posted By: Bitterrootmontana Re: Browning BLR - 01/09/13
At a low point in my life �revenue wise� as a result of the loss of employment despite being a strong and successful contender as both an employer and an employee.. I sold my BLR 358.
What the heck was I thinking.. Or was I thinking? I know now that I rushed this move.
As it turned out the world did not come to an end however, I am currently without my early model 358 BLR
I would love to have my straight stocked 358 back in my hands.
In my opinion this is a great round and in the BLR a great riffle.
It was not necessarily great from an accuracy stand point but with its 4X leupold fixed power scope it was all I needed and provided for the quick harvest of game.

Posted By: MZ5 Re: Browning BLR - 01/11/13
Originally Posted by Gravestone
How are the triggers on these rifles? I've heard that they are on the heavy side and some smiths will not work on them.

I've squeezed good ones, but many are bad. Some quite terrible. Mine was quite terrible. Cleaning all the crap off the hammer and sear, and some careful polishing with a hard Arkansas stone, made the trigger crisp and clean. I had talked to Jones, but didn't want the hassle of mail-order gunsmith-ery. smile Still heavier than many nowdays seem to prefer, but crisp letoff such that the pull weight is no biggie at all.
Posted By: FNG Re: Browning BLR - 01/13/13
The intended use of this rifle will be elk hunting here in western Montana, of course some deer and other critters will die in the process. I've really gotten tired of carrying my M70 300wsm around, even though (after much effort) it is a great shooter. I've been carrying my Rossi 92 454 more and more lately (even thinking of scoping it), but I don't want to miss out on longer range opportunities. Hence my thought of a BLR. I have only handled a 7 mag, not shot it, and it felt unwieldy. I want to handle an 06 and a short action before making a purchase. Shooting a few options would greatly help me decide. Definitely not interested in one with a barrel band.
Posted By: plainview Re: Browning BLR - 01/15/13
I have two of the BLR 81's with the pistol grip stock---not the straight stock. Both have the fairly stiff factory trigger, which I have not attempted to improve. One in .308 and the other in .270 WSM. Not a lot of experience with the latter (one WT buck) but the .308 has taken cow elk, mule deer, whitetails and antelope. I'm impressed with the accuracy and range of the little rifle in .308. My youngest killed a deer at 350 yards with it last week...far in excess of what I would have expected. It consistently performs well at 250 yards on large deer and cow elk.

Both are topped with an inexpensive Redfield 2x7 scope. Pretty happy with that too.

I bought the .270 WSM version because I wanted a lightweight fast rifle to hunt elk with. I have yet to try it in that application.
Posted By: Henry McCann Re: Browning BLR - 01/15/13
My son has an early BLR in .308 and has taken a muley buck so far with it. I used it to take a muley buck with it also. Nice rifle!

My dad has an early .358 that he really likes. Has taken deer with it also. Light, handy, accurate. I like the BLR.
Posted By: magshooter1 Re: Browning BLR - 01/15/13
I am not a big fan of the long action BLR's but I love the short action BLR's. Most owners I know also prefer the SA to the LA BLR.
Posted By: MOGC Re: Browning BLR - 01/15/13
Plainview,
I wasn't aware the '81 was ever offered with a pistol grip stock or chambered in any of the WSM cartridges? I would be interested in seeing a picture of a BLR '81 with a pistol grip stock.
Posted By: FNG Re: Browning BLR - 02/03/13
finally handled a short action BLR. Now I understand most shooters' preference for the short action. It didn't even feel like the same rifle as a long action. It was a 300wsm, which is tempting since I already reload for that and have an abundance of components for it. I'm really thinking 308 at this point though. I'm not too recoil sensitive, but that thing is so little and light that I think the 308 would be more enjoyable than a hard pushing magnum.

SA BLR in 300wsm pushing 155 scenars could be a REALLY good time though...
Posted By: magshooter1 Re: Browning BLR - 02/03/13
You don't have one so, you obviously NEED one. RIGHT?
Posted By: Zs84 Re: Browning BLR - 02/04/13
Not to hijack this thread but has anyone any experience with the Williams receiver sight for the blr/bar? Any info regarding front sight height and overall impressions of this sight would be greatly appreciated.
Posted By: FNG Re: Browning BLR - 02/09/13
Ok, a couple questions for guys who shoot the 81. Does the barrel band seem to negatively affect accuracy? Also, much less important, does the straight stock increase felt recoil much?

I keep going back to the store and handling an 81 in 358win. I's lightly used for under $600. I'm really leaning toward the 308, but something about the 358 round gets the loony in me all jazzed up.

This rifle will be to fill the gap between my 454 model 92 and my 300wsm model 70.
Posted By: jimincolo Re: Browning BLR - 02/09/13
The barrel band does not seem to effectaccuracy in my .358. It will put 3 225 Sierras into an inch at 100 yards, & 3 225 ParLettitions into 1 1/4 at the same distance. Let it cool a bit after 3 rounds.

If the recoil is bothersome, you can easily fit an after market pad.

The pistol grip stock would probably give you a bit more to hold onto, but really isn't necessary IMO.

A .358 will normally give you a complete pass through, open up a large wound channel, & is a lot flatter than you might expect.

Jim
Posted By: magshooter1 Re: Browning BLR - 02/10/13
Originally Posted by FNG
Ok, a couple questions for guys who shoot the 81. Does the barrel band seem to negatively affect accuracy? Also, much less important, does the straight stock increase felt recoil much?

I keep going back to the store and handling an 81 in 358win. I's lightly used for under $600. I'm really leaning toward the 308, but something about the 358 round gets the loony in me all jazzed up.

This rifle will be to fill the gap between my 454 model 92 and my 300wsm model 70.

That's a good deal!
Posted By: mogwai Re: Browning BLR - 02/10/13
Originally Posted by FNG

I have one of the new model 81's in 358. The trigger pull is heavy and gritty, but I'll get that fixed and love this gun to the end of days.
Posted By: FNG Re: Browning BLR - 02/11/13
I'm wondering what kind of in-fight ballistics you guys are seeing with the 358. What distance is your zero, and how much drop are you experiencing from there?

I'm really thinking 35 cal projectiles in the 225+ range are the perfect fit for the gap in my quiver I want to fill.
Posted By: noKnees Re: Browning BLR - 02/11/13
Originally Posted by Zs84
Not to hijack this thread but has anyone any experience with the Williams receiver sight for the blr/bar? Any info regarding front sight height and overall impressions of this sight would be greatly appreciated.

I have a steel framed, straight stock BLR in 358 ( ithink its the BLR 81) It have the williams WGRS on it and I think a .575 in the front and the rear sight is in the middle of its adjustment range. The sight is simple, seems rugged. I put a rifle shell carrier on it with a piece of 3/16 foam under it and it lines up very well for me. Its very shootable without the cheek pad but with the pad it mounts like a shotgun. BTW I found the stock too low with a scope in weaver lows too.

I have it zeroed with hornady 200's at 2400FPS ( its a bit under max) at 125 yds. Its a nice close range rifle and I have shot a number of deer with it.
Posted By: FNG Re: Browning BLR - 02/11/13
do you practice much further than your zero? I want to get an idea of how she'll drop. I plan to scope it, maybe even scout mount, and would like to be able to go out to 250 or 300 without holding over fur. In reality, shots here are usually inside 150, but it can be tough to get close up in the alpine zone sometimes.

I'm thinking this should be a great deer, bear, elk round.
Posted By: mogwai Re: Browning BLR - 02/12/13
Originally Posted by FNG
I'm wondering what kind of in-fight ballistics you guys are seeing with the 358. What distance is your zero, and how much drop are you experiencing from there?

I'm really thinking 35 cal projectiles in the 225+ range are the perfect fit for the gap in my quiver I want to fill.
200 gr bullet at 2400 +/- fps, sighted in about 2.5" high at 100 yds. I figure this is point blank shooter out to 250 yds., maybe a bit farther.
Posted By: jimincolo Re: Browning BLR - 02/12/13
My 225 Partition handload is just under max at about 2520 fps. I'm zeroed at 150. This puts me a hair over half an inch high at 50, just over an inch high at 100, 3 inches low at 200, & a little under 8 low at 250.
Jim
Posted By: Just a Hunter Re: Browning BLR - 02/12/13
Originally Posted by FNG

I shoot 225g Sierra's and partitions in my 358 at ~2400 fps. IIRC it is sighted in to be 2" high at 100 yards. Shot a deer 3 years ago with it at 180 yards dead-on hold on the shoulder. The bullet drilled him pretty much where I was holding.
Posted By: FNG Re: Browning BLR - 02/13/13
Apparently I suffer from magnum-mania, as my ballistics charts number crunching has lessened my enthusiasm.

I guess I have some more thinking to do. I'm torn between the ideas of a .308 and 155 scenars (of which I have a good stock) or the .358 and a much heavier pill.

Either will obviously have terminal effects. The .308 would probably turn my m70 into a safe queen - which would be fine by me.
Posted By: Dogslife57 Re: Browning BLR - 02/13/13
As you probably know, some guns shoot and kill better than their ballistic numbers would indicate. I think most of the 35s are in that category.
© 24hourcampfire