Home
Posted By: gophergunner Rossi 45 Long Colt - 01/26/16
My son just traded into one of these. I'm just curious, what can anyone tell me about this gun? Would it make a suitable deer gun? My understanding is, this is a legal round in Indiana now? Any info would be greatly appreciated. I don't even know-are these drilled for scope mounts?
http://www.rossiusa.com/product-list.cfm?category=8

Mike
Posted By: LouisB Re: Rossi 45 Long Colt - 01/27/16
Google search is your friend here.

Think the consensus will be that properly loaded and within some restrictions deer will die and lighter loads will be fun in paper or action targets.
Posted By: Josh Sorensen Re: Rossi 45 Long Colt - 02/10/16
They come drilled for a scout scope mount. There are several very good peep sights on the market and I would hightly recomend the skinner sight. I would load it with a heavy hard cast like either the HSM bear ammo, buffalo bore, or grizly.

http://stevesgunz.com

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Angus1895 Re: Rossi 45 Long Colt - 02/10/16
It is too bad Minnesota does not include these type of caliber in the slug zones.
Posted By: budman5 Re: Rossi 45 Long Colt - 02/10/16
If your state allows the caliber , you are good to go for any hunting you want to do within range limitations.
I have the 44 mag caliber and it is just wonderful to carry.
As an example I load 300 gr Cast performance bullets to 1500fps and get 2 inch groups at 50 yards. This is the first load I tried, some report groups as small as 1.7 with open sights. I use mine for bear protection on river float trips.
Posted By: Strider Re: Rossi 45 Long Colt - 03/10/16
Nothing lives in Indiana a .45 won't take care of.

He'll need to practice to determine his limitations with the current sights, but it will be a step up from the traditional muzzle loaders and shotguns we used to be limited to.
Posted By: choctawbadge Re: Rossi 45 Long Colt - 03/18/16
I kill pigs and deer with my Rossi 45 Colt short rifle. The M92 action is strong and will take stout 45 Colt loads which will absolutely take care of deer.
© 24hourcampfire