Home
Posted By: viking New Marlins - 06/23/17
Has anyone tried them, in particular the 1894 44 magnums? How's the craftsman ship.
Posted By: deerstalker Re: New Marlins - 06/23/17
spotty. just take your time and go over them with the idea you are getting a new mother-in-law. make sure every thing is right be for saying i do.
Posted By: viking Re: New Marlins - 06/23/17
So don't order one,
Posted By: deerstalker Re: New Marlins - 06/23/17
lord no!! don't let the apes at remlin choose it for you.
i would hold out for a JM . they are out there. i just sold one so they do come up and sometimes a guy won;t take the time to work up a load the gun likes and decides it won't shoot. they all will shoot, just not all loads. they are like your favorite girl. only likes certain combinations.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: New Marlins - 06/23/17

Too many good used older 'JM' Marlin 44's out there........

even with the $75 rebate I'd look for an older one......

357's & 45 Colts bring more $$ than the 44's....

44's are more common.....$550-700.......

mind set on a new 44........

take a look at a Henry.......
Posted By: Bugger Re: New Marlins - 06/23/17
I just bought one, picking up at the dealer today. I think they look a lot nicer than my JM's. Better wood, better fit, better barrel. But there are haters out there. I bought a Marlin 45-70 with it.
Posted By: g5m Re: New Marlins - 06/23/17
And, I believe the new Marlins have a rebate currently.

yep.......

$100 on '95s

$75 on '94s.....

must be the only way they can move inventory......

https://www.marlinfirearms.com/sites/default/files/Marlin_Rifle%20Rebates_Long%20Form.pdf
Posted By: moosemike Re: New Marlins - 06/23/17
I have a 30-30 made in 2016. Dandy little rifle. It is the replacement though. The first one I bought had a barrel that was crooked to the receiver.
Posted By: Squirrelnut Re: New Marlins - 06/23/17
I just posted this in case you are interested.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt.../new-marlin-45-70-guide-gun#Post12107911
Posted By: viking Re: New Marlins - 06/24/17
I had an older one with micro groove rifling. I couldn't get that one to shoot. I also had a newer one, still a JM that one shot good and I never should of sold it. That was a model before Reminton bought them.
Posted By: TnBigBore Re: New Marlins - 06/26/17
I have not seen enough improvement to take a chance on one. Too many good older ones out there.
Posted By: LovesLevers Re: New Marlins - 07/04/17
I like my two new "remlins" a lot. They are both accurate, reasonably smooth actions, and the wood to metal finish is excellent.
Posted By: Ranger99 Re: New Marlins - 07/04/17
my .44 mag rifles won't shoot good with .429 bullets meant for pistols.
i have to use at least a .430 jacketed or a .433 cast to do any good.
i think the standards are different also from saami pistol vs. rifle for .44 mag.
i think that may be why so many have trouble with .44 rifles, marlin
microgroove in particular. mine are tackdrivers with the correct bullets.
Posted By: Bugger Re: New Marlins - 07/05/17
I've been shooting both. I really like them!

The problem with Marlin switching to Remington ownership was supposedly Marlin relied on their craftsmen to make the rifles right, while their drawings were incomplete.

Remington had tried to manufacture according to the drawings, not having the old craftsmen to make them corrected. Now the drawings seem to be corrected and I believe their product is great. I wish they'd make the 39 22's -- actually in a 17 HMR.

People will hate, until they try them. I have old Marlins and have had quite a few that I've sent down the road, several very nice ones and JM marked. However, they are not as nice as the new ones in my opinion.
Posted By: viking Re: New Marlins - 07/05/17
The last 1894 44 mag I had was a Micro-Groove. I couldn't get that one to shoot, so bye bye. I had one that was Ballard rifled, before Remington bought them and moved. I should have kept that one.
Posted By: VaHillbilly Re: New Marlins - 07/06/17
I just ordered a new Remlin 1895, I will return with a mini review and range report in a couple weeks.....Hb
Posted By: tikkanut Re: New Marlins - 07/06/17

good luck............tell us allll about it..........$100 rebate no less..........

pics are a must.........
© 24hourcampfire