Home
I found this Winchester 1895 last fall at a gun show. It was marked 30 Gov. and sold to me as a 30/40 Craig. Turned out it was a 30/06. I found an original peep sight on line, it cost an arm and a leg but it was an original nor a reproduction sight and it looks like it's been on the gun forever.

It likes Rem 220gr and I had a ball hunting with it. I took this big doe in the late season. I turned 81 in March and it's cool to hunt with a gun that's older than me..... grin

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Posted By: Longhunter_1 Re: Winchester 1895 - 07/13/17
[Linked Image]
Posted By: beretzs Re: Winchester 1895 - 07/13/17
Very cool Longhunter! That rifle and deer look good. Congrats on both.
Posted By: CashisKing Re: Winchester 1895 - 07/13/17
Very nice Sir!
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Winchester 1895 - 07/13/17
Very nice. I'm a bit bias on 1895's. I think they are one of the greatest rifles, EVER!!!
Posted By: Longhunter_1 Re: Winchester 1895 - 07/13/17

Very nice. I'm a bit bias on 1895's. I think they are one of the greatest rifles, EVER!!!

I know you are, I was hoping you would see this grin
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Winchester 1895 - 07/13/17
👍

Lots of fun too!! I enjoy mine!!!

Keep up the good hunting!
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Winchester 1895 - 07/13/17
Heck, I think that anyone who is 81 and still going afield can hunt with any rifle that they want!

I've got two 1895 carbines, one in 30-40, AKA .30 U.S. Army, and one in 303 British. The 30-40 came off a mountain ranch in southern Colorado, south of Pagosa Springs and close by the New Mexico line, and the 303B came out of the Eastern Township of Quebec. Whenever I dig one of them out and handle it, I am graphically reminded what a brilliant man of vision John Moses Browning was.

I have read that most of the 1895s were military rifle made for Czarist Russia during the early years of WW1, but they seem to be among the least common of military surplus firearms that find their way into the U.S.
Posted By: Longhunter_1 Re: Winchester 1895 - 07/14/17
They had a segment on the Win 1895 on one of the gun shows last night. That's what prompted me to post the pictures of my success with mine last season.
Posted By: Longhunter_1 Re: Winchester 1895 - 07/14/17
I found an old half rack elk antler in an antique store. It's dark with age and someone had made it into a hanging lamp. It looks great against the barn wood paneling. One of the short points goes through the trigger guard and holds the gun securely. cool

[Linked Image]
Posted By: moose444 Re: Winchester 1895 - 07/14/17
Good bless you sir!!!!!! Very good you are hunting with a rifle younger than you. Keep going, never slow down
Posted By: WillARights Re: Winchester 1895 - 07/14/17

Way to go, Longhunter!!

Terrific Inspiration, and I gotta say, the gun and pics are FANTASTIC!!

Awesome post.
Posted By: tmitch Re: Winchester 1895 - 07/14/17
I think (hope) I got a glimpse into the future! I have and wear the same hat & coat plus love the "climbing Lyman" equipped 1895s! Hunted mine (a .405) a bit last year but found a I need to replace the front sight with an ivory bead. The bead is missing on mine and I couldn't get a good enough sight picture on the one buck I saw. Congrats on your hunt, rifle and the drive to get out there and enjoy it all.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: desertoakie Re: Winchester 1895 - 07/14/17
I pray I'm still able to get out in the field at 81! Very nice 1895! I love the vintage ones.
Thank you all.. smile

The gun I shot my first buck with was this Mod 94 30-30 in 1952 when I was 16 years old. The rack is above the gun and my picture is on the right with the buck on my dad's 1949 Nash

[Linked Image]
What vintage year is the 94?

..another terrific pic, LH.

Thanks for posting it up!
[Linked Image]

Wow I did it!! (Figgered out the pic post)

My elk slayer. .35 WCF.
Beautiful rifle and a great caliber for elk. wink

[Linked Image]

A few Rangers with a few SRC's (except for that one goofball in front. Looks like he has a Savage 99) 😂

[Linked Image]
Just to keep this thread going!

[Linked Image]

.30 US Army
And. BTW, all you 1895 Win owners are now members(if you so wish), of "The Ancient Order Of The 1895 Winchester", with all rights and benefits. Which BTW, are damn few! 😊
Great Thread Ron! i looked a at a 1895 Mil. md in 30-40 yesterday at a gun show it looked redone they wanted way to much for it. the resto just didnt look right to me. but it looked all there! maybe one day Ill join the club! whistle
Very nice. I have yet to bloody my 113 year old Krag.

It definitely shoots minute of hedge apple

[Linked Image]
Great shooting and great targets. Scott!!!
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Winchester 1895 (new pic) - 07/16/17
Oh great! Something else for me to lust after.

I know where there's a NIB Browning repo (no safety) available for about a grand. Need to take a cold shower and find something to take my mind off stuff I don't need.
Pappy NIB Browning for that money ain't too dang bad!

My old Browning 30/06

[Linked Image]

And 2015's bull that succumbed to a factory 180 grain RN core-lokt

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Oh great! Something else for me to lust after.

I know where there's a NIB Browning repo (no safety) available for about a grand. Need to take a cold shower and find something to take my mind off stuff I don't need.

Except for the Hawkins recoil pad, which was added MANY years ago, this one cost me several hundred dollars BELOW $1000. I thought that was more than fair for a 113 year old 1895.

[Linked Image]
Bolshevik revolution

[Linked Image]
Winchester liked to never got those stripper clip guides to work!!! They were a headache!
Have you ever seen a 95 in 7.62x54r ?
Only photos. But I'm hermitized and don't get out much!!! 😂 And to think almost what??? Almost 600,000 made? I remember seeing the adds from was it Hunter's Lodge? Back in the 60's. "These rifles still have Trotsky's teeth marks on them!"

Some didn't make it to Russia. I believe the shipment was stopped in England in 1917 as the Czar abdicated. So I've heard. Mebbe urban myth.

But lots ended up in Spain in the 30's and also China like late 40's.
Longhunter,

You story of the mis-purchase of your 95 (sold to you as 30/40) reminds me of walking into our local Small town shop one day. Lo and behold there's a std 1895 rifle on the rack. I asked to see it. The shop owner hands it to me and say "it a 30/06!"

On top of receiver it is stamped .30 Govt 1903. So I try to explain the difference to him. And he's still maybe a bit skeptical. Then again he does own the shop so that makes him the authority. And we all know the type of experts that frequent these establishments. 😁 So the next week I drop by and kindly lay this box on their counter and tell the guy "this is the correct cartridge for that 95." He was a bit flabbergasted but thankful. Admitted he had never heard of the ctg!

[Linked Image]

Btw, I felt their rifle was a bit overpriced. But someone will buy it, Im sure!
kaywoodie,
Can you join the club if you run a "Japchester M1895"?
I have one in 405 WCF that is a hoot to shoot and hunt with.

StarchedCover
Of course! Welcome!!!
He let me in with my Miroku / Winchester TD in .405.
In addition to doing a good job on elk, with hand loaded 400 grain Woodies, the sky is the limit!
[Linked Image]
Regardless of what anyone else says, they are fun to hunt with!!!

I have no issue toting one around the woods! They are not unwieldy or difficult for me!!

And they are just über cool!!!
Originally Posted by crshelton
He let me in with my Miroku / Winchester TD in .405.
In addition to doing a good job on elk, with hand loaded 400 grain Woodies, the sky is the limit!
[Linked Image]

That's hella cool, just as Woodie's elk is.

I'd LOVE to flame a moose with mine, or an Axis.
I only own 3 Winchesters and they are all lever actions, though I'd like to have a Model 97 again. I killed my first turkey with a M97
Anyone got any thoughts on the Lyman #21 peep sights on the 1895?

[Linked Image]
-Looks Great Ron,I realy like the Old Climbing Lyman Peeps!
Posted By: tmitch Re: Winchester 1895 (new pic) - 07/18/17
Originally Posted by Longhunter_1

In my opinion, an 1895 ain't hardly correct without one! (except maybe a SRC). I'm a big fan of the "Climbing Lyman", I have one on my .405 '95. My late fathers M64 carbine was fitted with one as was his older brothers Remington 141. Now I'm thinking of picking up an 1894 rifle in .25-35 that because it has a Lyman. crazy
I have a question on those Lymans. Given about a 28" sight radius, .008" movement of the rear sight equals 1 inch at 100 yards. x/28 = 1/3600. It's actually .007777777" movement but let's not quibble over billionths. So if that sight has 2" of travel, that's 257 MOA elevation adjustment. Even if it's only 1" of travel that's still 128 MOA. Now the numbers can be juggled some but you only need about 45 MOA elevation change to go from a 100 yard sight in to 1000 yards in a typical .30-06 load.

So my question is, exactly what was that much elevation adjustment supposed to be used for?
Originally Posted by tmitch

In my opinion, an 1895 ain't hardly correct without one! (except maybe a SRC). I'm a big fan of the "Climbing Lyman", I have one on my .405 '95. My late fathers M64 carbine was fitted with one as was his older brothers Remington 141. Now I'm thinking of picking up an 1894 rifle in .25-35 that has a Lyman.

This^^^^. I have a 21 on my .35 WCF. And there had been one my SRC. Wished they weren't an arm and a leg, I'd like 2 or 3 more. Someday may opt for a Providence tool copy. It's a perfect hunting sight for the 1895.

As for all the elevation on the 21, originally The 95 was offered in ctgs like 38/72, 40/72, etc. May have been useful on them. I took my 2016 bull almost 200 yds. With the 35. No additional sight adjustment. Maybe a bit of Kentucky windage involved. 😉
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I only own 3 Winchesters and they are all lever actions, though I'd like to have a Model 97 again. I killed my first turkey with a M97

Could always tell when the gunshow was in town! Some CAS fellow would come in Monday morning with a "new" 97 in two zip lock bags! There's just something about them fellers and screwdriver slots.

Can kinda kick myself for not grabbing one of the better ones that would come thru while I was still working. But I had like 6 Model 12's at the time. Think I'm down to 3 of them now.
Posted By: 1911a1 Re: Winchester 1895 (new pic) - 07/18/17
Congrats on the '95 Longhunter! great thread enjoying the pics and info.
I found this one at a gun show, reblued and refinished, I had it cut down. I had another 97 original condition that my son used to kill his first turkey so I gave him the gun. I love them old guns....they're not makin em anymore. smile

[Linked Image]

Great reading😊 Have a very clean late model 97.. Great turkey gun when I hunt them w/ a shotgun.. My step daughter has a 95 flat side in .40-72..
The model 95..

[Linked Image]
Well I guess that ends my misting pictures😫
WCH!

I started using this sight. Very easy!! And much simpler than PB!

https://postimages.org
Thanks! I may try this one 👍
Real easy if all you have is iPhone!

Good luck! And I remember that 40/72 of your daughters when you posted pic a while ago! Would like to see it again! It was really nice!

Seconded, KW.

Wyocoyo, give the site a spin. Very simple.
I started using this sight. Very easy!! And much simpler than PB!

I was lookin for a sight, but you meant site. smirk
Yeah! What he said!!!😂
Posted By: tmitch Re: Winchester 1895 (new pic) - 07/18/17
Thanks for the link KW. Now I can post a pic of my sight from that site! laugh

[Linked Image]
👍!!!!!

😂
I'd rather look at a gun like that than watch the swim suit competition in the Miss America Contest.. laugh... I must be getting old.. grin

[Linked Image]
Posted this in gallery, but I'll post it here too! My varmint rig. .30 US Army mfg in 1915 and Colt Army Special .32 WCF mfg in 1923. Knife is big Marbles Ideal Bowie type. Big blade! Late American production.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 1911a1 Re: Winchester 1895 (new pic) - 07/19/17
Nice rig kaywoodie, did you make the knife sheath?
Yes, I did! (Looking closely one can tell! LOL!)

Cooooool rig, KW.

Love that riffle!
Thanks WAR. I'm very attached to the rig. Called WolfEars up in Wyoming and he made me the belt. Top notch workmanship!

[Linked Image]

Last year at Armijo Springs campfire get together. Thanks to Mudhen for this photo!!

Im really gonna miss not being there this year. 😟 It like a pilgrimage to Loudres for me!! Or Something like that!
That's my favorite 95 configuration
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Thanks WAR. I'm very attached to the rig. Called WolfEars up in Wyoming and he made me the belt. Top notch workmanship!

[Linked Image]

Did you ever know a guy named Valdez? wink
Originally Posted by Steelhead
That's my favorite 95 configuration

Seconded.

If I didn't have enough levers, Id try to track that version down.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Great movie Longhunter. Some trivia if I may on the other 1895 in the movie. This one!!!

[Linked Image]

Was a mock up of a standard rifle by the late Rusty Cox, formerly of Harper Texas. Rusty was a supreme counterfeiter. And painted up that 95 to look like a gold inlaid presentation rifle. Rusty was quite knowledgeable on all things western. I bought an old Messkin saddle from Once that I used for years. I know of several other campfire members that knew Rusty too! Mebbe one will show up shortly and tell the "cat mummy" story. 😂

Rusty was also in the movie portraying the big burly Marine sergeant. Here he is storming the Bashaws palace!

[Linked Image]

I miss Rusty! He was truly one of a kind!
[Linked Image]

Theodore, what are you doing? Isn't that the Czar?
Great movie Longhunter. Some trivia if I may on the other 1895 in the movie. This one!!!

[Linked Image]

Was a mock up of a standard rifle by the late Rusty Cox, formerly of Harper Texas. Rusty was a supreme counterfeiter. And painted up that 95 to look like a gold inlaid presentation rifle. Rusty was quite knowledgeable on all things western. I bought an old Messkin saddle from Once that I used for years. I know of several other campfire members that knew Rusty too! Mebbe one will show up shortly and tell the "cat mummy" story. 😂

Rusty was also in the movie portraying the big burly Marine sergeant. Here he is storming the Bashaws palace!

[Linked Image]

I miss Rusty! He was truly one of a kind!

Guess I missed this yesterday!

Yes, I indeed knew Rusty!

There's lots of stories on him!... Like the time Charlie Schreiner fired him for shooting flies with his Colt 45 at a gathering at the YO Ranch headquarters. Rusty was an entertainer. Guitar picker, story teller. The next time the YO had a large group out, they'd call Rusty up, and un-ban him from the ranch. smile

Was helping Rusty "clean out" his abode on the Hondo Crouch ranch once. Simply because you couldn't move around in there...
I was in some bedroom moving boxes and lifted one to find a dried up dead cat between two boxes. I mean it was as Kaywoodie said. Mummified. I called Rusty in there, and showed him the cat. He said "I wondered where that cat went!"

That was Rusty! smile

RIP Amigo.
Posted By: FlyboyFlem Re: Winchester 1895 - 07/24/17

Always wanted an 1895 in 405 just never had one cross my radar until recently..I would have been satisfied with an original but snagged this Teddy R, 150th anniversary for a steal..Thanks to jorge for the commemorative box of loaded 405's and a well rounded care package to get me started. BTW it won't become a safe queen but will see the field this fall and winter.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Winchester 1895 - 07/24/17
Wow! Nice catch Flyboy!!

Or should i say a bully catch!!!! 😁
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Winchester 1895 - 07/24/17
Woody just informed me of this great thread. First, great job Long Hunter! I have an old (1916) 1895 in 303 Brit. With it, I've taken quite a few hogs here in SE Georgia with it. I load the Woodleigh 215gr RN and it will flat shoot through any hog. I also have two other jap 95, a TR 1909 Safari Commemorative as well as a standard grade 405 I had a period correct Winchester rubber butt plate installed as well as a Lyman. Took a nice Axis with it in Texas a couple of years ago with Pugs and Hatari. The peep sight is the way to go. Easy 2" groups at 100 yards and many times even tighter than that. Great rifles, great thread!
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Winchester 1895 - 07/24/17
It is my understanding that several (Mebbe 1/2 dozen???) 1895's were produced in the .236 Lee Navy cartridge. But possibly due to the early day smokeless powder it did not perform well in this action. Here is an interesting ad;

[Linked Image]
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Winchester 1895 - 07/24/17
PS: If anybody knows an easier way to load these damned things, let me know!
Posted By: tmitch Re: Winchester 1895 - 07/24/17
Originally Posted by jorgeI
PS: If anybody knows an easier way to load these damned things, let me know!

Let Larry show you how! wink

I'm gonna hate to see this thread end. frown
Over, Nothings Over! rember when the germans Bombed Pearl harbor! Ha!
Jorge,
It is muscle memory, just muscle memory. Practice enough and you can load one on the run!
In fact, I did just that before taking my 1895 .405 to RSA to hunt buffalo.

I went a bit overboard with practice because before I practiced loading without looking, I tried to reload while following a spooked Nilgai and messed up. We had to stop while I dug jammed .405 cartridges out with my knife, all while my PH looked on. frown
After that it occurred to me such a fubar could be fatal if hunting DG.

Practice, practice, etc.
Originally Posted by saddlering
Over, Nothings Over! rember when the germans Bombed Pearl harbor! Ha!

Germans???

Forget it he's rolling......
I'm gonna hate to see this thread end. frown

In the interest of keeping this thread going, once again 2016's bull.

[Linked Image]
How about Osa Johnson and her 1895!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: tmitch Re: Winchester 1895 (new pic) - 07/25/17
Since photofucket removed all my posted pics, I'll repost my '95 SRC .30 Army.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Sweet SRC Tmitch!!!!!!

Here's old son (aka Postoak Cowbow who lurks about the fire) who now owns my first '95 in 35 WCF, and a nice buck from last season he scored with it

[Linked Image]
That 95 the son has above had a refinished buttstock that displayed a LOT of proud metal around the upper and lower tang. I had a refinished original 1894 buttstock in my shop and in about 1/2 hour fitted it to this rifle. Looks a bit better. And yes we retained the original wood.

[Linked Image]
Here's my 1905 vintage .35 WCF. All bluing is long gone!
[Linked Image]
I bet it's still a thumper tho, oakie!!! Nice!!!
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Winchester 1895 (new pic) - 07/25/17
Crap! that was easy! thanks!
Ahhhhhh!!!! Camplife!!!!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: tmitch Re: Winchester 1895 (new pic) - 07/26/17
Great photo KW................or is it TR?!? confused
Oh, just me!

Will add just over the point in my hat, down in that bottom, several years ago old son made heck of a Hail Mary shot on a little Fork horn with that 95 Im aholding. It's a .30 Army.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Winchester 1895 (new pic) - 07/26/17
Love the picture, KW! BTW, tried Larry's loading method and it worked !
Yes it does!!! wink

Thanks for comments! As a postscript, everybody thinks I dress up in special clothes to hunt or something. When my shirt and trousers are from Wally World! laugh
Great photo K!
If that photo was in Black & white, id think it was from the early 1900s
Posted By: tmitch Re: Winchester 1895 (new pic) - 07/26/17
[Linked Image]
Is Blasphemy to harsh a word?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: tmitch Re: Winchester 1895 (new pic) - 07/27/17
Our friends at Williams have blasphemed at huge number of classic Winchesters over the years. I have that same scope and mount that came off a Model 71.
The forearm on that rifle looks fairly unique also.
I look so vintage in that photo now Tmitch! (I've felt vintage for years, and not in a good way!! )
I look so vintage in that photo now Tmitch! (I've felt vintage for years, and not in a good way!! )

You mean OLD don't ya grin
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

You mean OLD don't ya grin

As In dirt, Neal! laugh
Was this from the same camping trip? wink

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Was this from the same camping trip? wink

[Linked Image]

Yeah!!! Thats me standing on top of the pachyderm keeping a clear eye for Matabeles!
For anyone wanting to join the 1895 club, here's a nice starter rifle up for sale. A bargain!
1895 Winchester .405

[Linked Image]
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Winchester 1895 (new pic) - 07/27/17

[Linked Image]

The HORROR..
Originally Posted by jorgeI

[Linked Image]

The HORROR..

Yes it is and I'll add this !

[Linked Image]
Love to have that one Bob! Carved by Charley Russell with a pocket knife by campfire light!!! He has always been one of my favorite artists. Along with Fredrick Remington, of course.

[Linked Image]

No, it's not blasphemy.

Blasphemy are the 1895's that only reside in gun safes and are only touched by white gloved collectors.

A piece put to work or made more useful for the user is anything but blasphemy.
After all,,,, You gotta drill at least one hole to put on a Lyman 21.
Steelhead,
Do you mean safe queen rifles like my unfired Miroku/Winchester 1895 .405 Deluxe ?
[Linked Image]

The Deluxe was my first 1895 and was purchased from a collector because it was sooo pretty.
Then, I fired an 1895 .405 of a friend and was so pleasantly surprised that I searched for and found my shooter. It is a Standard 1895 .405 has seen lots of use in load development and hunting,
[Linked Image]

My looker will stay as is until some 1895 .405 enthusiast ponies up the $$ or I pass it on to my son or grandson in my will.
Originally Posted by crshelton
Steelhead,
Do you mean safe queen rifles like my unfired Miroku/Winchester 1895 .405 Deluxe ?
[Linked Image]

The Deluxe was my first 1895 and was purchased from a collector because it was sooo pretty.
Then, I fired an 1895 .405 of a friend and was so pleasantly surprised that I searched for and found my shooter. It is a Standard 1895 .405 has seen lots of use in load development and hunting,
[Linked Image]

My looker will stay as is until some 1895 .405 enthusiast ponies up the $$ or I pass it on to my son or grandson in my will.

Yeah, like that. A gun that ain't used is a stick. I'd much rather see a rifle with holes drilled in it for a scope so the older owner can still hunt with it than a masturbation piece.
I have a Deluxe Win/Miroku 1895 like the one above and I USE it! I, of course, am careful, but it gets shot a lot!

Now I gotta drag my few 1895s out of the safe for photos, otherwise it didn't happen, right? wink
Posted By: powdr Re: Winchester 1895 (new pic) - 07/29/17
Where can a guy get a shooter '95? What's a decent price on one? powdr
Saw a model 95 in .35 win.. in Craig, Colo. $1900...
Originally Posted by powdr

I bought my 3 1895s on Gunbroker. Some good deals to be had there if you take your time.
Originally Posted by powdr

The one my son shot that buck with I picked up at the Kyle Tx Cabela's for $950 several years ago. Just gotta hunt for em!
Posted By: tmitch Re: Winchester 1895 (new pic) - 07/30/17
My SRC came from Cabelas (forgot which store). Seems I have a little over 1K in it. Their pricing is all over the map, but decent guns at good prices do show up. They run 10% off sales once in awhile (5% right now) plus I buy up Cabelas gift cards off ebay for an additional 20% off.
Desert Oakie.
Circumstances differ - my 1895.405 Deluxe was purchased from a Winchester collector as an investment and for artistic appeal with approval of wife as every gun she has said "go buy it" has appreciated well and been a good investment. It is sooo pretty! :):):)

That gave me tacit approval to shop for a "shooter" and I found one at a very good price which looked NIB, but had already been fitted with a good recoil pad and Williams receiver sight AND sighted in! Included a couple boxes of 300 grain ammo too.
My shooter has taken a variety of game from feral hogs to big stuff like water buff and Cape Buff. As you know , it shoots bullets from 210 grains to 400 grains equally well.

I like the .405 WCF cartridge so well, that I abandoned plans for a .45- 90 double rifle, and bought this custom made .405 Double Rifle.
[Linked Image]
Again, with Nilgai taken recently down at Hondo, Texas; note my "after the kill" Texas camo:
[Linked Image]
I found another picture taken with my Model 1895 .30-06......end of the trail

[Linked Image]
Very cool!!!!
I Like It!
that is one rifle i never owned. it has been on my bucket list forever. someday soon i hope!
Posted By: mart Re: Winchester 1895 - 08/24/17
What a great thread. Congratulations Longhunter on the deer and the 1895 and thanks for starting this thread. Some great looking rifles Being shared.
Posted By: Angus1895 Re: Winchester 1895 - 08/24/17
I have a 3003 takedown. Been using 3006 cases. Is there any benefit to resizing 270 cases to match the proper brass length. The rifle shoots fine as is?
Posted By: trplem Re: Winchester 1895 - 08/24/17
Back in the '90s one in 303 came to live at my house. It was followed by a 30 US and a 30-06 takedown. The last one purchased was another 30 US by Miroku. All of them still live in the safe. One of the few rifles I really regret buying was an all there not awful condition Russian contract musket. It's the only one I've ever seen.
Posted By: passport Re: Winchester 1895 (new pic) - 08/26/17
Since photofucket removed all my posted pics, I'll repost my '95 SRC .30 Army.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I have that exact gun. 1925 model in 30-06 that my grandfather bought new
Beautiful. Roosevelt's "Big Medicine" gun. great find, I've always liked the period look of the rifle. enjoy it.
[Linked Image]
The above pic is of my step daughters model 95 in 40-72!! First time I have been successful getting the pic. to print...
Posted By: cbennett Re: Winchester 1895 (new pic) - 09/12/17
I am really enjoying my USRAC Color Case Take down in 30/06. It is becoming my favorite. This may border on heresy but as my eyes age I am thinking of a reflex style site. I ordered the Turnbull receiver mount for my 1949 Model 64 and asked about one for the 1895. The woman on the phone ( Stephanie) said I was the third call in a week asking for one. She stated that if there was enough interest that they would have some made. Please call Turnbull if you are interested. I have Williams receiver sights on all of my levers but am starting to see fuzz around the apertures.
Thanks
Posted By: tmitch Re: Winchester 1895 (new pic) - 09/12/17
Originally Posted by cbennett
I have Williams receiver sights on all of my levers but am starting to see fuzz around the apertures.

That's how you should see them
Used to own a 405 takedown which was used on a bison hunt. After moving decided to sell it. Ended up missing the rifle so placed a WTB ad and found a NIB takedown 30-06 made by Miroku, This will be one rifle in my collection that will stay there until I die. Plan is to install a Williams peep sight and give it a regular walk during our long deer seasons.
Now I find myself searching to replace the 405 as well.

Did Winchester ever commission the jap model 270 in a take down version?
Posted By: tmitch Re: Winchester 1895 (new pic) - 09/19/17
How 'bout one of those reproduction #21 sights? Make it look the part.

[Linked Image]
Snowwolf,
Would you be interested in an unfired Miroku M95 Deluxe in .405 WCF?
Possibly, really looking for a takedown but PM me the details.
Thank you
Originally Posted by StarchedCover
kaywoodie,
Can you join the club if you run a "Japchester M1895"?
I have one in 405 WCF that is a hoot to shoot and hunt with.

StarchedCover

blush

Great, I was scared to post our reproduction.

.30-06 & my son loves it & has the keen eyes to use it !!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Again, of course. We are a very lax organization! Welcome to our happy group of miscreants. More the merrier!
I just picked up a new Browning Repo 1895 in 30-06. I want to put a peep on it for my old eyes. My old gun has an original Lyman 21 and I'm thinking about putting one of the new Lyman sights from buffalo Arms. What say you?....anyone have any experience with this sight on a Browning 1895?

[Linked Image]
They were produced by Providence Tool and the are well made! I removed two of them off of a customers Miroku Winchesters several years ago ( for some reason he wanted them removed and couldn't seem to do it himself. Go figure). Anyway being much of the time we
Never saw the customer, I didn't get the opportunity to ask him if he wanted to sell them. Oh well.

But they are well made sights. You will have to have to drill one hole in receiver.
I would love to see someone make a lightweight "L" piece for the 1895. It could fit the 2 holes drilled and tapped on the side then come up and over the top of the action where a small red dot like the Burris could be mounted.
Made out of aluminum it would only weigh an ounce or two and could be anodized to match the bluing.
I ordered one today, $147.00. Looks like they've come down in price, I hope they didn't sacrifice quality.
Skinner Peep sights makes a bolt peep sight for the 1895, anyone have one on their gun?
I ordered one today, $147.00. Looks like they've come down in price, I hope they didn't sacrifice quality.

Anxious to hear your review. Am contemplating installing the same sight on one of my 1895's
Posted By: wildfowl Re: Winchester 1895 (new pic) - 09/27/17
My contribution: [img]https://imgur.com/a/ZFc8e[/img]
Recently produced 1895 in .405 Winchester
Awesome rifle with a transparent history! Thanks for sharing!
I just picked up a 1915 production 1895 in 35 WCF, it's pretty rough with a lot of pitting but I hope it's a shooter and the price was right! I plan on taking it cow elk hunting next year. Any advice on reloading for it would be appreciated. I'll post some pics when I get it.
Originally Posted by helidriver72
I just picked up a 1915 production 1895 in 35 WCF, it's pretty rough with a lot of pitting but I hope it's a shooter and the price was right! I plan on taking it cow elk hunting next year. Any advice on reloading for it would be appreciated. I'll post some pics when I get it.

I do like that cartridge Helldiver! Old son and i both have '95's in .35 WCF. I believe i was shooting 48 grains of IMR 4320 with a 250 grain bullet (old Hornady RN). And 46 grains of IMR 4064 and a 200 grain Hornady RN. I have loaded 50 grains IMR 4320 with the 200 RN. But i think the 4064 load is better. Need to work up a good cast bullet load for it!

Jamisons make some good brass but I believe all the suppliers or currently out. Least ones I visit online. Son blamed me for buying all Midway had! Mebbe Desert Okie will chime in! He's another 35 shooter!
I'm really excited about it! I think you gave me advice to pursue the 35 when I was talking about a .405 last year. I'll definitely post some pics when I get it. I'm thinking about maybe making some brass out of 405 hornady if I can't find any.
I'm really excited about it! I think you gave me advice to pursue the 35 when I was talking about a .405 last year. I'll definitely post some pics when I get it. I'm thinking about maybe making some brass out of 405 hornady if I can't find any.

I remember now! Looking forward to pics!

You may have better luck using and finding the .405 brass! It's very doable.

I loaded a few 200 RN's today. Its a good all around bullet for these parts. A hawg thumper for sure!
Ray Lewis on the TV series "The Last Alaskans" hunted with a Mod 1895 in 35 WCF. He was my favorite guy on the show because of the rifle he used.

I was bummed out to hear that the Lewis family would not be a part of the show in 2017

[Linked Image].

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Another one of my favorite characters on the show is Bob Harte who passed away from cancer. Bob truly loved the wilderness way of life and he will be missed.

[Linked Image]

Does he have an aperture mounted on the bolt?
Yes he does. I was thinking it was like a Williams WGRS-ML. Or something similar with a flat base. Someone here on forum Said his rifle Was originally a .30 Army that had been rebored.

Apparently someone has such an arrangement on my SRC. You could prolly cook up a lot of stuff given an ample supply of old rear sights!
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe

Anxious to hear your review. Am contemplating installing the same sight on one of my 1895's

Any updates to this ?
I've got the sight installed, now I'm working on knocking down the bluing a little

[Linked Image]
Looks good.

Did you, or a 'smith drill n tap ?
Looks real Nice Ron, let us know how it works !
I had a Smith do it
I've got the sight installed, now I'm working on knocking down the bluing a little

[Linked Image]

I dont mind the blue. Its the dang stock finish on them Brownings that kinda gets me. Someday im stripping mine. Even gonna change out the buttplate to a hard rubber shotgun style. Might even replace the entire forearm. Get that ebony inlay thing going! Or at least redo the forearm that come with it.
I agree, a good boiled linseed oil finish would be better IMO
Think I'll take one of mine out tomorrow. Prolly the winmiroku 30/06. Its ready to go.
Think I'll take one of mine out tomorrow. Prolly the winmiroku 30/06. Its ready to go.

Well i ended up taking the 1895, .35 WCF and a wore out 1894, 25/35. Didnt even take 95 out of case. Got a nice tasty dink last evening with the 94. But old son did manage a 3pt dink over at his place Thursday evening with his 95, .35 WCF. He says that 200 RN Hornady makes a mess of em!
I just ordere some reloading components, Redding 35 Win dies and some hornady 405 brass. Do I just lube and run through the sizer die?
Kay, that little .25-35 does a nice job.. I have a rebarreled Marlin.. Haven’t shot it in a while, but killed coyotes, p.dogs, jacks, antelope, whitetails, mulies, and turkey with mine.. Have lots of rifles now, and less big game hunting.. still a great problem to have.. No longer do much out of state hunting so only get 6-10 head of big game each year.. Like to hear your posts about the 95’s and other old rifles.. Keep up the good work.. Enjoy and have a great fall.
I just ordere some reloading components, Redding 35 Win dies and some hornady 405 brass. Do I just lube and run through the sizer die?

Yes. I had same set up until i bought a bunch of Jamison .35 WCF brass.

Just TAKE YOUR TIME AND DON'T GET IN A HURRY!!!! smile. You may screw up a case or two. But just regroup and slow down.

Crossfireoops and i corresponded on this very same subject. He was concerned and told me he sure would llike to see one more forming die in the procedure to be safe. But it worked out ok. With patience!!!!

Good luck and happy shooting. Damn! Im pumped with all this 95 talk! I was going to haul nothing but muzzleloaders to south Texas Friday. I may make it a 95 weekend instead! Rancher did say he's seen 6 nilgai hanging around the area we call the veldt on a regular basis!!! Mebbe another cow would Be good in the freezer??

Also packing the ol' model 12. Apparently lots of quail too!!!
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Kay, that little .25-35 does a nice job.. I have a rebarreled Marlin.. Haven’t shot it in a while, but killed coyotes, p.dogs, jacks, antelope, whitetails, mulies, and turkey with mine.. Have lots of rifles now, and less big game hunting.. still a great problem to have.. No longer do much out of state hunting so only get 6-10 head of big game each year.. Like to hear your posts about the 95’s and other old rifles.. Keep up the good work.. Enjoy and have a great fall.

Thanks, WCH

My 94, 25/35 is a rifle with a bit of history. Belonged to a USDA "tick rider" down on the border for about 40 years ( beginning in 1910) and it has seen the elephant! Allegedly been in at least two gunfights. It looks the part. Got home and got into it and it appears thst the old girl is suffering from headspace issues like all these old 94 can do. Hence the FP issues. Gut enough play to cause issues. So I put her on my wall of fame in the shop! For special occassions.

[Linked Image]
Cool... Having only visited Tx.. What was a "tick" rider???
Here ya go!

https://www.usda.gov/media/blog/2011/04/13/tick-riders-cornerstone-usdas-cattle-fever-tick-program
Kay, Thanks.. Never heard of this before.. Thought maybe they were Texas's version of Wyoming's Tom Horn.. Guess not, but cool anyway..
They started the service around 1910!
I really love this pic!!!

[Linked Image]
Very cool.
Notice! Appears to still be at full cock too!
WoW Cool Photo!

I couldn't get my pictures to upload but here's the gun broker link with a lot of pics of my 1895. Notice the shadow of a Lyman 21 sight on it. I found an old one listed as s model 21 online and bought it but it's about a half inch shorter than the hole pattern. I didn't think they came in different sizes?
I did feel like I got a good deal on the rifle, it's not real pretty but seems to be mechanicaly sound. Should have it shooting next week sometime. I'd really like to get another Lyman on it.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/707989194
Yup you got the one they made for 1892/94 I bet! They also made em for model 1886.

That rifle is gonna be fun!
Shameless 1895 selfie from the oak mott last evening!

[Linked Image]
Well I just paid $375 for an original model 21 sight and I havent even shot the rifle yet, I think I might be coming down with something...
Anybody happen to have a 3/8" dovetail plug for the rear sight that has some bluing wore off and pitted some? Having a hard time putting a new shiny one in there.
Helldriver,

Go look in all the suggestions in this thread!

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...85/ageing-a-new-blued-rifle#Post12315885

Then do same to that pretty dove tail filler! wink It will come out just fine!

Then go do some shootin'! Or get that back sight hole D&T for that 21! If it ain't already there!

Then go do some shootin'! laugh
Here's a cool photo, of a cool first edition in my collection of junk, and a cool story to go with it!

The book is pretty self explanatory. One of my favorites. And according to the recent biography of Mr. Service, the gentleman in the photo holding the flatside 1895 is one Solomon Albert. He lost most of both feet to frostbite. So he shot a bear and "made" himself new feet from the late bear's feet!!! That is a form of prosthetic mocassin. Don't know the cartridge of the rifle. Either a .30 Army, 38/72, or 40/72 being a flatside. But lots of coolness all way around!

[Linked Image]
Loading supplies should be in the mail today and believe me I will be shooting it!
Thanks a lot for the link I'm going to try the vinegar for sure.
It already had a 21 on it, you can see the "shadow" in the patina.
If you get a chance Kaywoodie check out that gunbroker link I posted and let me know what you think of my rifle.
Couple questions.

What are my options for installing a period correct sling?

Can I get more info on the rifle other than date of manufacture from the Cody museum?
Yes, the proof will be in the pudding! Thats is, will it hit what you are shooting at! laugh. Not a thing wrong with that rifle from the photo.

As for a sling....... a period correct one....... well I have a sling on a used Miroku I picked up. Previous owner installed. I suppose it's ok. One of them Uncle Mikes clamp on the barrel thingy. Not all that correct. I suppose if you wanted the really period correct ones you should have a swivel "eyehook"" sweated on the barrel forward of forearm. That uses swivel hooks like a Model 54 Winchester. I have a set on an old Mauser sporter. This could promise to be a real PITA to set up! And mebbe a bit pricey.

My suggestion would be to not install a sling!!!!!
Ya I think your right about the sling, think I'll just bring some rope to fashion one if need be while packing game.
Good idea!
Posted By: vic2367 Re: Winchester 1895 (new pic) - 11/23/17
nice pics
Here's pic of a postcard my Dad sent my Mom from Jackson Hole, Wyoming in 1991 while he was on an elk hunt.

https://imgur.com/9Dp8fdP
Can someone make it so it just opens on the forum without having to click the link?
Posted By: tmitch Re: Winchester 1895 (new pic) - 12/06/17
[Linked Image]
Posted By: tmitch Re: Winchester 1895 (new pic) - 12/06/17
Here's a beauty..........way above my payscale though.
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/721156647

[Linked Image]
Thanks tmitch.
Hell, Tom!!!! Its been reblued!!!

laugh laugh laugh
Thats a cool pic, Helldriver!
Posted By: tmitch Re: Winchester 1895 (new pic) - 12/07/17
Hell, Tom!!!! Its been reblued!!!
laugh laugh laugh

"This musket was completely restored by Turnbull Mfg. Co. Inc."

Ha, I completely missed that!! No wonder it looks so nice, Turnbull does some good work. Wouldn't hurt my feelings to own it. laugh
Helldriver,

There is actually another method that Ive seen done to install sling swivels on a 95 rifle that I suppose you could say was a "vintage" method. But one would still have to drill butstock for the rear swivel.

If you could get to an older gun shop and see of they might let you look thru an old box of swivels, find you an old set of non-QD's like used to come on bolt action rifles in the old days. The front swivel is generally a 10 x 32 thread. The thread on the forearm screw on a 95 is the same. I had an old 95 with a front swivel screwed into that forearm screw hole. And its not all that invasive to the front of your rifle. Remove it if and when you wanted and screw the old forearm screw back in. But like I said you'd still have to drill hole in buttstock for that swivel.

Lemme see if I can find a pic of what I'm explaining. wink

Edit! Here's a pic.

[Linked Image]

You may have to cut down a bit of the thread to get it to right length! But this does work. This is the 95 my son has now.
Thanks for the pic kwoodie, that's definitely an option. I think I'll try packing it without a sling for awhile and see if it's a big deal or not. I definitely like how it feels in the hand!
I wonder what the old wolf hunter was packin? 30-40??
Posted By: tmitch Re: Winchester 1895 (new pic) - 12/07/17
Another option for the rear attachment would be a buttstock cover. Levergun Leather makes some like the pic below. I'm sure there's others that make them too. Just be careful if you Google "leather but cover"!! eek eek sick

[Linked Image]
I wonder what the old wolf hunter was packin? 30-40??

Barrel is too short for a standard rifle in .30 Army (28") and it looks like it still has original front sight. From the look of his clothes and fedora, I wager a plain old 30/06. But it could very well be any of the others with as std 24" bbl. just my guess.

And I still prefer mine slingless. laugh
That leather looks pretty good mitch.
I don't have a sling on my original Winchester but I put a sling on my Browning

[Linked Image]

I carry the old rifle like this

[Linked Image]
I shot this dink buck with the Browning 1895 the first day of the gun season. It was it's maiden hunt and I had to blood it.

[Linked Image]
Congrads on the Buck! so I guess that sight is working out good for you! Makeing meat!
Well done LH! Delicious!!!
Thanks for the pics long hunter
Posted By: wiml76 Re: Winchester 1895 (new pic) - 12/10/17
Some nice pictures here, thanks for posting them.
LG,nice!!
Just bought a new win/browning, 30/40. Love the feel and balance. action is like a bank vault. This gun will hunt!

Ordered brass and bullets and hope to have it shooting in a few days. Will post pictures as soon as I get it figured out.

Lefty C
Well done!! You will not be disappointed!!!
Posted By: tmitch Re: Winchester 1895 (new pic) - 01/04/18
Now ya need to mount one of these.

[Linked Image]
I just got the Lyman 21 mounted on my 35 Win. loaded up some Speer 250's and went out to our cross canyon shooting spot. It's amazing what you can do with that peepsight at 400 yards. It was only the third line down on that sight too!
The Lyman 21 is an excellent sight. Had one on an extra finish M-95 in 405 WCF. Wish I still had that old rifle. Killed my first elk with it
in Colorado. I have a lot of 30-40 (30 Army) ammunition left from an old Model 95 . Killed deer with it in Arizona.
The newer Hawk bullets work well in the 1895. Expand but penetrate. Interesting book noted back in November.
Robert Service-"Tales of a Cheechako" which is one who has not wintered over a full year in the outback of Alaska-Canada.This same
view of the Klondike was shared by Jack London.

Still have a couple of rapid taper smokeless 1886 rifles in 33 WCF, along with a few Model 71 pre-war rifles
The Lyman 21 sight replica is currently not being made and is unavailable for the time being. The individual that makes them is ill. Buffaloe Arms is back ordered.

LC
The Lyman 21 sight replica is currently not being made and is unavailable for the time being. The individual that makes them is ill. Buffaloe Arms is back ordered.

I'm glad I got my sight when I did and got to hunt with my Browning/Winchester last fall.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Loggah Re: Winchester 1895 (new pic) - 01/11/18
Heres one my brother owns,you long range shooter type guys may like.!1895 40-72 with factory 36" part octagon barrel and lyman 21 ,and factory sling eyes!!! and a spirit level in the rear sight dovetail, shes longer then a bad dream ! grin

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Thats a Tall drink Of water there!
Wow, that is some rifle...
Always love it when Loggah posts that pic!
It is amazing what the old companies used to do for the needs of their customers...
Posted By: Loggah Re: Winchester 1895 (new pic) - 01/12/18
If you had it in a scabbard on a horse it would be dragging on the ground !!I grinreally dont understand the logic of such a long barrel in 40-72 caliber . It is a fairly late gun you wuld have thought it would have been in a 30-06 or 30-40 .Don
great story and pictures, classic rifle
Loggan... that 40-72 is a real keeper and not far behind the .405 in killing mustard as well...These old chamberings in their day put down a lot of game with big bullets and modest velocities but still get the job done even by today's standards..
I have a 38-72, and a 40-72 in a flatside, but i haven't shot either of them . I also have a 30-06 carbine i haven't shot. I do shot my 405's they both shoot inside 3" at 100 yards.Don
sweet....I'm in the process of load development for my new 405 Win cast gas check..So far it stabilizes well with light loads at 50 yds but haven't had a chance to load it up or go to the range with our weather issues presently. .

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
I was just using Hornady factory loads in mine ,the 300 grain ones. Those cast bullets look pretty nice. Don
Posted By: wiml76 Re: Winchester 1895 (new pic) - 02/05/18
This thread has been very enjoyable. Used my 1895 TD on a doe the last day of the season this year, quite effective.[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
https://imgur.com/a/1nDvP

Can someone make this so the pic pops up automatically?
Found this old catalog in an antique store in Virginia.
Anybody know who these guys are?
Looks like most of em are packing 1895 src's.
https://imgur.com/a/1nDvP

Can someone make this so the pic pops up automatically?
Found this old catalog in an antique store in Virginia.
Anybody know who these guys are?
Looks like most of em are packing 1895 src's.

Not sure but I think that is a photo of some Arizona Rangers around turn of the century.

It sure looks familiar. Nice pic!

And Wiml76!!! Nice score and kill!!!! Well done!
Posted By: tmitch Re: Winchester 1895 (new pic) - 02/06/18
[Linked Image]
And here's the rest of the picture.............notice the long building on the hill in the background

[Linked Image]
Couple more from the same photo shoot. Supposedly taken in 1903

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Thanks Tom! Thought I'd seen it before! wink
Most all 1895 SRC's except the two far left Rangers (1 standing, 1 sitting) have rifles and possibly a Krag carbine top row third from the right.

That photo is also the backdrop for the Ranger exhibit in Phoenix Police Museum.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: sidepass Re: Winchester 1895 (new pic) - 02/06/18
For anyone wanting to join the 1895 club, here's a nice starter rifle up for sale. A bargain!
1895 Winchester .405

[Linked Image]

A bargain @$135,000.00
Very cool!
Would love to have one of the enigmatic 1895's in .236 Navy!!!!! wink That would be fun!
So I've seen that old ad that advertises the 6mm cartridge for the 1895 but always thought it was fake or a typo, so what is the story on that??
Allegedly, the rumor I read, heard, whatever was like 6 were made for US Military trials.

I can't even remember where I heard or read this.

Maybe there will be a new book soon that will clue us in.
Posted By: tmitch Re: Winchester 1895 (new pic) - 02/08/18
I recall reading that somewhere also, but like you, can't remember where. confused
Posted By: wiml76 Re: Winchester 1895 (new pic) - 02/12/18
For anyone interested, I spoke with the gentleman from Providence Tool Co. today and he said they have their Type 21 site available again.
Posted By: wiml76 Re: Winchester 1895 (new pic) - 02/12/18
And Wiml76!!! Nice score and kill!!!! Well done![/quote]

Also kaywoodie, thanks! She has tasted good this winter. I enjoyed your picture of the elk you got with your 95. Hope to someday do the same. I'm throwing my hat in to be a member of the "Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester" if that's all right. What an enjoyable rifle!
Originally Posted by wiml76
And Wiml76!!! Nice score and kill!!!! Well done!

Also kaywoodie, thanks! She has tasted good this winter. I enjoyed your picture of the elk you got with your 95. Hope to someday do the same. I'm throwing my hat in to be a member of the "Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester" if that's all right. What an enjoyable rifle![/quote]

You're in!! With all rights and honors afforded!!! laugh

Thanks for update on the Providence sights!!!
Posted By: tmitch Re: Winchester 1895 (new pic) - 02/12/18
Wiml76, welcome to the club!
For anyone interested, I spoke with the gentleman from Providence Tool Co. today and he said they have their Type 21 site available again.

Apparently my old compadre has two on the way. May be here tomorrow! What tracking number said!

Im suppose to put one on his Browning in .30 Army. He said the other is for me to put on my Browning in .30 Govt 1906!! Woohoo!!!

That Browning of mine is a proven elkslayer!!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: wiml76 Re: Winchester 1895 (new pic) - 02/24/18
Kaywoodie, I'd like to see pictures of the sights when the work is done. For those of you who have installed the sight from providence tool co., did you have to change the front sight to a different height, or did the stock front sight work?
Kaywoodie, I'd like to see pictures of the sights when the work is done. For those of you who have installed the sight from providence tool co., did you have to change the front sight to a different height, or did the stock front sight work?

Ok! Hopefully I'll be able to get up to the ranch and get his rifle and the sights this week. There's no reason the existing stock front sight will not work. On either a Browning or a new Winchester.
Posted By: McCray Re: Winchester 1895 (new pic) - 03/03/18
Does anyone make a front sight blade for the repro 1895s?

Looking for one with a larger bead. My eyes are ageing faster than the rest of me!
I can't find any front sight insets anywhere for 1895's or other models either! Suppose we'll have to try to find NOS somewhere. Or make one. Could use higher blade. Like .585"

Ok! Hopefully I'll be able to get up to the ranch and get his rifle and the sights this week. There's no reason the existing stock front sight will not work. On either a Browning or a new Winchester.

Ok. I just finished installing this one. I think they are gonna need at least another .445" front sight blade to get to shoot at 100 yds. I suppose proof will be in the shooting. We'll see wink

[Linked Image]
Posted By: cbennett Re: Winchester 1895 (new pic) - 03/04/18
Guys, I bought my new front sights from XO sights. They were a tad pricey but I really like the white line on the blade. They offered various heights. I have them on a Browning .30/40 and a repo Winchester in 06.
Thanks cbennett! Hmm white line? Dunno how Im gonna like that but I sure will check em out! Mebbe a sharpie might be in order. laugh

Thanks for the heads up! Appreciate it!

KW
As a heads up to anyone considering the purchase of the Providence sight you should be made aware of this caveat. ( I understand more fully wiml76's question concerning the front sight usage now).

The overall installation and fitting is not a big issue. If you have the correct equipment. No biggie. The bit of a pickle is this note convienently stuck in one of the zip loc parts bags. Kinda an "oh,,,,, by the way,,,,

[Linked Image]

So your chances of being able to utilize your existing front sight are extremely slim. These sight aren't even sold with the 3/4" Marbles screw in aperture anymore. I suspect they leave that up to the customers wishes to install their own? Isuppose they are using up old stock of these higher aperture brackets. ????

Anyway bottom line is chances are you will have to fabricate your own old style front sight insert being that any old Such Lyman and Marbles type inserts are just not to be had ( unless you get real lucky and find some NOS somewhere). If you wanna to get it to shoot to point of aim at 100yds as they state. I can tell that I will need a higher sight, so I'll probably fabticate one. Appears the base on a Browning is approx .140" from the muzzle top radius. . So at least .445" blade or a bit more should bring it up high enough.

Good luck!
1895's chambered for .30-40 Krag were marked .30 U.S., .30-06 were marked as you know .30 Gov't. Early ones were .30-03 and later .30-06.
Originally Posted by gunswizard
1895's chambered for .30-40 Krag were marked .30 U.S., .30-06 were marked as you know .30 Gov't. Early ones were .30-03 and later .30-06.

Hey Gunwizard! Here's a fresh box of 30 Govt 1903! laugh

[Linked Image]
Posted By: tmitch Re: Winchester 1895 (new pic) - 03/04/18
Originally Posted by gunswizard

There were some variations in caliber markings. My .30-40 SRC is marked ".30 ARMY" and I've seen some marked ".30 U.S. ARMY". Someone posted a pic awhile ago of their '95 .30-03 that was marked ".30 U.S. MOD 1903".
I have owned several 1895's over the years, first one was a .30-40 and later ones were mainly .30-06's with a couple of .35 Winchesters. I even owned a .30-06 carbine that had been restocked and sporterized by R.F. Sedgley. I have never owned a .30-03 although I used to see them once in a while. Used to see the old slip top boxes quite frequently back in the day, not so much anymore.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Winchester 1895 (new pic) - 03/06/18
I can't find any front sight insets anywhere for 1895's or other models either! Suppose we'll have to try to find NOS somewhere. Or make one. Could use higher blade. Like .585"

I used a copper penny that I mashed and filed to match the original copper front sight on my 95. Some IDIOT had filed it down and the rifle shot way high.
Yeah Jorge, when I was gettin' paid for it I made a bunch of bead front sight blades by hand. I was just getting really lazy and not wanting to got that route yet. laugh

Been in email conversation with Andy at Skinner sights. One way or the other we'll get something worked out. He's given us several excellent options. But!!! First thing I'm gonna do tomorrow is make a trip to the range and just see how mine shoots with some 220 Grain Remington Factory loads. wink. Then we'll go from there! May get lucky. Dunno?

Got several other rifles that need some range time too!
Posted By: wiml76 Re: Winchester 1895 (new pic) - 03/07/18

Kinda an "oh,,,,, by the way,,,,

This was exactly what I thought when I opened up the box. Hope you get lucky and your rifle prints with the sight installed. I've been holding off on having the gunsmith install mine until I found a replacement option for the front sight if need be.
Well, definitely gonna need a higher front sight!
Finally found a piece of steel scrap thick enough. Out of cold blue. Can still remove .030" if I want! Suppose it will do.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Loggah Re: Winchester 1895 (new pic) - 03/11/18
WOW that sight blade is up there grinyou must plan on taking a file with you to the range for "fine tuning" My brother recently bought a savage that had a tang sight with a target aperture on it that had about the bottom 1/3 of it having a half moon shaped piece out of it so the stem could be lowered way down. It looked factory to both of us.
Love them rear sights, but I just can't be accurate with em! I prefer a full buckhorn myself. Oh well, here is a vintage box of 30-40 to make this post interesting!
[Linked Image]
Yeah Loggah! Read the post I made just above here concerning that Providence tool co #21 Lyman copy! Geez! Im really hoping it doesnt have to be any taller!!! But after my range visit last week I fear all that blade may get used. I allo D &T'ed and installed a Marbles 1/2" OD peep aperture in the rear portion. Mebbe a .102" hole. Kinda big but looks really good when sighting. Aught to be skookum for hunting!
Great to see you Desertoakie!!!

Here's another cool box from out in my shop!!!

[Linked Image]
KW

I installed a Williams foolproof on mine and shot it today. With the sight all the way down, using 180 factory loads it was about 2 3/4" high @ 100. Which is alright for now as it is dead on at 200. That said however it needs a higher sight . If I can't find one I guess I will have to make one.

Factory loads went into 1 1/2" which to me seems really good.

I am going to shoot 200 or 220 grains so not sure where it is going to be with those.

I have some brass and copper that are pretty close in thickness. Just have to get off my butt and do it.

I will shoot a bison with it this fall. For sure!

LC
Lefty!

That sounds like a plan! I picked up a .600 Pachmayr "Old English" pad today and it's about 2/3's installed tonight before I just give out! Finish it tomorrow. All said and done, mebbe add about an 1/2" or a smidgen more to OALOP. Feels real good. Try to shoot again later this week up at our annual Spring break hog hunt and saturnalia of unhealthy foodfest! laugh

Keep us posted on your results! Looking forward to that bison hunt report and pics!!!
Hey! A quick question, whose answer I used to know, but you know how age affects the mind! wink I have a forgotten 1895 in .30-03, never been shot (by me)...can I shoot regular .30-06 ammo in it? Thanks all!!! We gotta keep them 1895s alive!
Originally Posted by desertoakie
Hey! A quick question, whose answer I used to know, but you know how age affects the mind! wink I have a forgotten 1895 in .30-03, never been shot (by me)...can I shoot regular .30-06 ammo in it? Thanks all!!! We gotta keep them 1895s alive!

It can be done, least I have been told so by others who have done it, successfully. smile But I personally wouldn't shoot factory loaded 30/06 in a 30/03. Just call me chicken or an old fudd, but if I was to do it, I think I'd shoot Krag pressure and velocity handloads. Not hard to make! wink
I do have a new range report on the 1895 Browning project. Got three different loads and went to annual hog hunt this past weekend. Son had a few 180 grain hornady RN he loaded for me. Probably best described as a Krag equivalent load. I also toted a box of Rem. Factory 150 PSP CL's and a box of Rem. Factory 180 RN CL's

Started at. 50 yards with the providence tool #21 copy and the new steel front sight blade. The "krag" loads were extremely pleasant and accurate! First group were about a foot low (mebbe a tad lower) and I could cover group with a quarter! Woohoo! Happy! Started filing front blade! Things just got better!! Then went to factory loads. Started zinging em right in the black!!!

After a bit more filing and they a sight adjustment on the #21 for some elevation and a timy bit of windage, moved to 100 yards. Wow! Bottom line got the 150's 2" high at 100 and 180's pinwheeling the red with same sight picture!!!! The other thing that really helped is I stuck on that Pachmayr "old English' .600 pad on it last week. My old gimp shoulder really appreciated that!!!

Next will be polyurethane finish removal!!!!

More to come!!!
Posted By: Loggah Re: Winchester 1895 (new pic) - 03/19/18
Sounds like you got it dialed in !!!!!! glad it all worked out,now you can measure that front sight an know how many thousands high that it has to be, for the other guys using the repo. clyman lyman. :)Don
Originally Posted by Loggah
Sounds like you got it dialed in !!!!!! glad it all worked out,now you can measure that front sight an know how many thousands high that it has to be, for the other guys using the repo. clyman lyman. :)Don

Yes Don!

I plan on a little review of the sight a little later down the pike. I figure I filed around another .020" to .025" (guessing) off the front sight when I quit. There are some weaknesses in the sight I'll talk about. But nothing real serious like (except for front sight replacement). Mebbe I was expecting too much? But others might like to know.

Bob
KW

I made one from a old brass key. There was just enough material that I could clamp it into my mill and get it a pretty good fit and pinned it firmly in place and shaped correctly.

Shot it yesterday with my 200gr "bison" loads and removed about .025 off to get it where it needed to be on my sight. I have plenty of up and down should I change loads. It is zeroed at 200yds and groups about 3 or 4" inches at 200. Should get better with me getting more used to the peep sight.
If some one wants pictures I can text them if you shoot me a PM.

Lefty C
Lefty!

That sounds great!!! Still looking forward to the bison hunt report and pics! That's going to be fun!!!

I got to do this again this week on another Browning 95 for my compadre. So here's a bit of review on my installation job and the sight itself for those interested!

Heres the rear aperture. It comes without a screw in aperture. I D&T'd mine 10x32 for Marbles inserts. Other than it being too high ( like their caveat card said, so one could use a 3/4" screw in aperture) it is anodized aluminum. It's just a tad sloppy in the sight body cutout. I noticed that if you are not careful tightening down the set screw you can get a little side movement in the aperture causing it to set a little sideways in the main sight cutout. So try to hold it as square as you can when tightening. There are some indexing lines on they sight body that will help you keep it square.

[Linked Image]

Here's my finished and cold blued frontsight. Actually I like this arrangement better than the bead. I can see it pretty good.

[Linked Image]

The overall quality of the Providence sight is great! It took me longer to fit the brass indexing piece on the elevation locking lever than it did D&T'ing the receiver holes. And that fitting was not difficjult at all.

[Linked Image]

My only concern in the whole sight arrangement is the anodized aluminum aperture body. We'll see how the one set screw performs in rough country. It seems like it could be a loss hazard.
Looks Great! Did a nice Job on it!
Thanks, SR!!!
https://imgur.com/gallery/qG2OqQt

1902 sears catalog
Posted By: tmitch Re: Winchester 1895 (new pic) - 07/13/18
Cool! Wish they were that price now!

[Linked Image]
The inflation calculator I used said they would be about $500 today.
Old son busted hogs a couple of evenings ago while feeding the cows. He has my first .35 WCF now and has been very successful harvesting hogs and deer with it.

[Linked Image]

So he shows up here at the “Canta Forda” Ranch yesterday with a small package containing a Providence #21 copy. Wants me to install. So I oblige him. That old ‘95 is a user not a closet queen. So got him fixed up. That rifle has original dovetail type ramp, so higher front site installation was a breeze. Matter of fact, he already had a new sight in the dovetail.

[Linked Image]

Ready now for Second Rifle come October!!
Gotta Love that sight!
Posted By: ipopum Re: Winchester 1895 (new pic) - 07/31/18
I was never aware that 30-06 loads were higher pressure than 30-03. Our family hunting rifle was a model 95 in 30-03 and it was always was fired with factory 30-06 ammo.

this went on over a period of at least 25 years and many dead deer and elk.

This was as factory as it could be. Long barrel, with a semi buck horn barrel sight.
No more polyurethane

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Owl Re: Winchester 1895 (new pic) - 08/31/18
Bob, that is certainly a nice rifle. Thanks for sharing.
Much obliged my old copanero!
https://i.imgur.com/tS2fCoT.jpg

One of these Texas Rangers was in on the demise of Bonnie and Clyde.

What do you guys think of that barrel length?
Posted By: Sycamore Re: Winchester 1895 (new pic) - 04/24/20
swing that around inside a car pretty easy, but hard on your ears if you touched it off!
Man I bet!
Sure do like these old rifles, mines a 35 WCF.
I'd like to get a 30 US someday.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Figured out how to make the pic come up.
It's got a carbine fore end but no saddle ring?
Barrels obviously been shortened.
Any input from the gurus??
Posted By: tmitch Re: Winchester 1895 (new pic) - 04/24/20
Tricked out '95! Most likely removed the ring, they rattle and there's not much use for one in a vehicle. Barrel's been shortened (16"?) and appears to be an '03 banded front sight installed. Would be a handy carbine in tight quarters.
I saw that other day when Barry posted the article. I can’t really say, but it looks like after they shortened the bbl they installed a Springfield 1903 front sight on it. Ive seen that done on a lot of different guns. Also has one of the correct carbine rear sights. Can’t really see the buttstock so I too, looked for the saddle ring. Wonder of they just removed it and filled the hole? Who knows? Bit there were plenty of old smiths back in the say that would do all kinda of work for you here. Looks like the bbl is about 2" shorter than std carbine. Just a guess. Make it about 20" bbl. anyway an interestimg old carbine. Probaby rusting in someones closet right now.

My question is where are they?? That’s a granite monument behind them. I do not recognize it. Standing next to Hamer is W W Sterling. This might have been about the time he was adjudant general of Texas.

Also notice Hamer is holding a Model 8 and Sterling has what looks like 30/06 ctgs in his ammo belt. They don’t look like 30 Army.
Found a different photo;

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Looks like the buttstock is not really a carbine configuation. But cut and altered or added to. I can’t really tell. Maybe a shotgun butt?
Kinda like the AR of the day, customize them just how you like!
Well now I need ANOTHER new 1895 for a project gun. 19 or 20" barrel, about a .35 caliber... hmmm
Doable , Hawkcreek! Get with it! 😁

I already want to send a .30-40SRC off to JES to turn it into a .405! Why wouldn't I need a .35 Whelen carbine also?
Can he do .35 WCF? Your bolt face would work for it as well as the .405. You’d really need to send him a 30/06 if you wanted the Whelen.

Brass for both the .35 & .405 have gotten scarce here recently. 30/40 brass will work for .35 it’s just a tad short. But full length correct .35 brass can be made from .405 when you can find it. I know Bartram still making brass but heard bad things about them. Too bad Jamesons quit making brass.
I purchased my first 1895 in the late 70's at the old Bagnel Dam show at Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri, it was a pristine .30-40. Over the years I have owned another .30-40, a SRC most of the '95s since then have been .30-06. The prize was an R.F. Sedgely custom stocked SRC, it has deluxe checkered wood with M/ 70 style buttplate, buffalo horn forend tip and Super Grade style swivels. Sedgley even machined a Lyman 48 receiver sight to fit, front sight was a Lyman banded ramp with ivory bead. The most recent rifle was a solid fame .30-06 to which I added a climbin Lyman, it got sold to help finance a hunt.
Originally Posted by HawkCreek

I already want to send a .30-40SRC off to JES to turn it into a .405! Why wouldn't I need a .35 Whelen carbine also?

That's wrong thinking on this forum! wink

My 3 1895s are: 30-03, 35 WCF, and 405 WCF...having one of every caliber is the goal!!!
quote=kaywoodie]Can he do .35 WCF? Your bolt face would work for it as well as the .405. You’d really need to send him a 30/06 if you wanted the Whelen.

Brass for both the .35 & .405 have gotten scarce here recently. 30/40 brass will work for .35 it’s just a tad short. But full length correct .35 brass can be made from .405 when you can find it. I know Bartram still making brass but heard bad things about them. Too bad Jamesons quit making brass. [/quote]

Ya but it would be a good excuse to get another one of each and then convert them. Of course they all have to be saddle ring carbines! I'd need to stock up on .405 brass, I've got a good supply of .30-40 and I should be set for life on .30-06 so I have plenty to reform.

[
Originally Posted by desertoakie

That's wrong thinking on this forum! wink

My 3 1895s are: 30-03, 35 WCF, and 405 WCF...having one of every caliber is the goal!!!

My three are two .30-40's and a .30-06 but I really want a .405 SRC. I've never seen one in my research so I doubt it's something the factory ever did but what a hammer of a saddle gun!
Hawk reek,

Is there enough steel in the barrel of those 30/40’s to bore em out to .405?
Hawk reek,

I dont know. Maybe not but then I'd just have to get a new barrel and do a little woodwork to the forend timber.
Hawk reek,

I dont know. Maybe not but then I'd just have to get a new barrel and do a little woodwork to the forend timber.

I like your attitude! 👍👍👍
Well now I need ANOTHER new 1895 for a project gun. 19 or 20" barrel, about a .35 caliber... hmmm

With 20 inch barrel and 13" length of pull, they are shorter than even short action bolt-rifles. Theres no rear bridge adding length. 38.25 inches is what my scout rifle measures. A scoped 1895 launching 41 caliber 350 grain swift A-frames at 2350 fps, the range and power is in a different league than any other levergun.

Theres no space in my dog sled for a bolt action carbine. It would over hang and certainly take damage from a tree or from tipping sled:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/13233780/2
Posted By: North61 Re: Winchester 1895 (new pic) - 05/03/20

9.3x62...that's how I'd roll.

[img]https://imgur.com/gallery/v1WSZwO[\img]

Here's an interesting modification.

Not sure why the pics not coming up, feel free to fix that if anyone would like.
Posted By: tmitch Re: Winchester 1895 (new pic) - 05/16/20
Maybe for someone with missing fingers on their right hand?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Looks like you might be missing your thumb if you shot it??
Looks like they used a piece of bolt off the "other" 1895 Winchester on that flatside.
[img]https://imgur.com/gallery/9s3DlWq[/img]
1910 British Columbia
Couple different 95's
Looks like one guy is hunting T Rexs?
Feel free to make the pic show if you can.
Feel free to make the pic show if you can.

Great looking gun & deer, I've always liked the lever actions.
So you thought you were getting a 30-40 but got an ‘06? I’ve often wondered how the barrels were marked on 30-40, 30-03, and 30-06 on the model 95’s throughout production. We’re all three 30 Government at one time?
Posted By: Tarbe Re: Winchester 1895 (new pic) - 10/03/20
Originally Posted by misplacedinnebraska
So you thought you were getting a 30-40 but got an ‘06? I’ve often wondered how the barrels were marked on 30-40, 30-03, and 30-06 on the model 95’s throughout production. We’re all three 30 Government at one time?

The 30-40 was the 30 U.S. or 30 Army....but I don't think it was ever called the 30 Government.
Do any of you guys have some .358 bullets I can load in my 35WCF?
220-250 grain?
I want to take it elk hunting this year.
I have 55 Speer hot core 250’s but I’d like to do some practicing.
Posted By: MAC08 Re: Winchester 1895 (new pic) - 01/18/23
This is a Great thread and makes me want/need to renew my hunt for a or a couple 95's. I have not seen any at gun shows here in WY. Anyone know where to look other than Gun Broker? I kick myself for passing on a few 95's back in the day when I was young and dumb.

MAC
I know this is an old thread,but longhunter1, past away last spring. I'll miss Ron he was the real deal!
Posted By: MAC08 Re: Winchester 1895 (new pic) - 01/19/23
From reading this thread we are diminished and a knowledge base gone.
Posted By: M14tn Re: Winchester 1895 (new pic) - 04/05/23
If I make it to 81 I would hope that I could be doing what he was, put in the woods with an 1895 Winchester…god willing. Rest easy good sir!
Here is another thread booster, my well used 1895 .405 -
[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Performed well in several US states and in Africa where it took a Cape Buffalo. One of my favorite big bores.
© 24hourcampfire