Home
Posted By: tmitch Happy Birthday to me! - 08/13/17
Treated myself today and picked up a nice 1894 .25-35, 26" octagon, button mag with a Lyman tang and Sheard front sights. Gonna pick up some of the new Hornady FTX ammo to try in it. Can't wait!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: IMR4350 Re: Happy Birthday to me! - 08/13/17
Really nice rifle and happy birthday. That 94 looks like it's begging for some cast bullet loads.
Do you know what year it was made?
Posted By: steve99 Re: Happy Birthday to me! - 08/13/17
That is a gorgeous 94 and in a great configuration and caliber. Wood ain't too shabby either.
Posted By: tmitch Re: Happy Birthday to me! - 08/13/17
Thanks guys.

Serial number is 926xxx so it's 1923 vintage according to Winchesters website. I've had my eye on another .25-35 full magazine rifle with a Lyman 21 but when this one came up, and I really like the button magazine configuration, I had to have it! (Being $400 cheaper didn't hurt either!) It's not pristine, the receiver's gone brown/plum and I believe the wood has some extra finish applied, but the wood is all still proud to the metal so it wasn't sanded. No pitting except a small amount on the buttplate, the bore looks good to my eye, so overall I'm pretty happy with it.
Posted By: funshooter Re: Happy Birthday to me! - 08/13/17
HAPPY BIRTHDAY tmitch
GREAT present
Beautiful rifle.....with a button mag the rifle should carry well.

Doc
Posted By: Gun_Geezer Re: Happy Birthday to me! - 08/13/17
That 94 is just.....georgeous.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Happy Birthday to me! - 08/13/17
Wow!!! Really nice!!! And happy birthday. Report back!
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Happy Birthday to me! - 08/13/17
That is a beautiful rifle you will enjoy it. Happy Birthday indeed!
Posted By: Angus1895 Re: Happy Birthday to me! - 08/13/17
The figure on that wood is awesome. Happy Birthday!
Posted By: saddlering Re: Happy Birthday to me! - 08/13/17
Wow love it! That my friend looks like a Keeper for sure!
Posted By: tmitch Re: Happy Birthday to me! - 08/14/17
Originally Posted by Angus1895
The figure on that wood is awesome. Happy Birthday!

Yeah, the figure on the left side floats my boat too, unfortunately the other side isn't as nice.
Had time to look it over closer today. Except for the buttplate (some pitting that was wire brushed), the metal doesn't show evidence of refinishing. The stampings are clear with raised edges, although judging by the receiver color it's possible some cold blue might have been rubbed on? I don't smell it though. The barrel sight I'm sure is a replacement, a folding Marbles that's missing the elevation slide, but it works good in conjunction with the Lyman tang sight. Not sure if a new Marbles slide will fit? Front sight is probably an add on too but correct for the period. The rifle's probably not a "collectors" piece by some folks definition, but I still like it, and that's what counts.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Happy Birthday to me! - 08/14/17
Tmitch

PM me the width of that rear sight. I might have a Marbles elevator that will fit it. If I do I'll be glad to post it to you. Happy Birthday!!
Posted By: kingston Re: Happy Birthday to me! - 08/14/17
Happy Birthday!
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Tmitch

PM me the width of that rear sight. I might have a Marbles elevator that will fit it. If I do I'll be glad to post it to you. Happy Birthday!!

Awfully nice of ya there KW! Pm sent.

Thanks everyone for the birthday wishes!
Great!!
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Happy Birthday to me! - 08/14/17
Congats and Happy Birthday, tmitch!
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Happy Birthday to me! - 08/14/17
Oh DAMN! that's one sweet lever rifle, congrats and Happy Belated, you know what I'd do to it, Holy Black and cast lead flatnosed greasers. smile
You'd probably put it to better use than I Gunner! I've got 5 or 6 old leverguns that sorely need some lovin', but at this point the best I'll be able to do is feed 'em some factory stuff to get them ready, just in case. Last year I was able to carry my .405 and a .32-40 for a couple days but they're both now in queue for some upgrade & adjustment.... a more visible front bead on the .405 and zeroing the new/old tang sight on the .32-40. Also have a newly acquired Lyman 56a that needs mounting to the Model 64 carbine that followed me home in January. Ah, the list goes on! cry
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Happy Birthday to me! - 08/14/17
LOL, yes, so many lovelies, so little time, bet you'll get that barrel heated up and punching zeros just fine with factory ammunition. smile
Posted By: tmitch Re: Happy Birthday to me! - 09/02/17
I was finally able to run out back for a quick function and sight check today. I picked up a box of S & B 6.5x52R 117 gr flatpoints at my LGS (haven't found anything else locally) to try out and it looks good! Around 75 yds off cross sticks the first shot was a couple inches low so a revolution on the Lyman brought it up about 1 1/2". I gave it another half turn after shot #2, then loaded up 3 and let fly. About that time the sun came out bright over my right shoulder and that's what I'm blaming the two hits slightly off to the right. (that's my story & I'm stickin' to it!) Hoping to get a lot more range time in with it, but good enough for the game & range I'll be using it for if I don't. What a pleasant shootin' rifle, I really like this little .25-35!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: saddlering Re: Happy Birthday to me! - 09/02/17
Thats one sweet little rifle, hope you get a chance at a Deer this season with it!
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Happy Birthday to me! - 09/02/17
That's five dead deer right there tmitch, congrats, COME ON FALL!!!!!
Posted By: tmitch Re: Happy Birthday to me! - 09/03/17
Yessir! I think it's gonna be my first-up rifle this deer season. Unless it's real nasty weather, then a plastic/stainless will stand in, if I even go out in that crap! I still like to baby my old classics, they get hunted but have earned a cushy retirement. I'll probably take the .405 as backup in case I hafta trail up a wounded spikehorn. They can be pretty dangerous at close quarters! laugh
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Happy Birthday to me! - 09/03/17
Excellent!!!!
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Happy Birthday to me! - 09/03/17
Beauty right there!
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Happy Birthday to me! - 09/03/17
LOL, my old levers enjoy the same retirement benefits, if it starts raining, under my coat they go for a quick trip back to the truck or camp, and 10-4 on the 405 backup corrector. grin
Posted By: shawlerbrook Re: Happy Birthday to me! - 09/03/17
That is a looker ! And I love the 25 35. I have a 1906 vintage SRC that I killed a doe with a couple years ago.
Posted By: sandcritter Re: Happy Birthday to me! - 09/07/17
Nice find, tmitch, and belated happy bday. Enjoy that 25-35 ( not a collector my azz, she's beautiful.)
Posted By: z1r Re: Happy Birthday to me! - 09/07/17
Happy B-Day and nice find!

Years back, a good friend "gifted me" for $100 a 1903 Vintage 94 like yours that had been rebareled with a Model 64 barrel. 24" skinny barrel that shoots like no body's business. It's one rifle that will always stay with me.

I keep wanting to rebarrel a 94AE I have to 25-35.
Posted By: 1911a1 Re: Happy Birthday to me! - 09/19/17
Fine looking Rifle! Good luck with the hunting and don't forget to post pics when you succeed.
© 24hourcampfire