Home
when I was younger I kinda gave up on lever action rifles,my main reason the lever action rifle was mostly a short range rifle that did not have the ability to shoot the better hi-power cartridges. well that change 2 years ago when at my gun shop I scope up a Browning BLR 308 Win,with factory loads this BLR 308 shot about a inch 3 shot groups,but when I loaded barnes x bullets and as specified by barnes reloading manual using a neck crimp die" lee crimp die" this gun with just a leupold 3x9 shot 3/8 inch holes by me and son,i was hooked again with a lever plus it had a magazine so shells did not get points wreck.i gave this 308 BLR to my son for Christmas last year plus 3 boxes of handloads. son shot a huge 8 pt whitetail and a very nice 5x5 mule deer out west with this BLR 308 this fall 2017,what son learned was this gun was good tell about 300 yards and was a breeze to carry in the foothills. I also purchased 300 win. mag this BLR shoots 5/8-3/4 inch groups at 100 yards off a bench , this rifle does have recoil too,gun shoots with this 130 grain barnes x bullet 3400 fps but I did not use this lever rifle this fall. I am waiting for some one to make a picatinny base for a BLR long action and short action too so I can mount a niteforce scope on this 300 win mag,this size lever 300 win mag will have 500 yard capability maybe farther with a bi-pod ? the Browning BLR has been made for many years I just have overlooked this powerful /accurate lever,but glad this lever is still made today ! I also wished Browning made a couple more different cartridges like a 6.5 x 284 and a 338 win. mag and have 24 inch barrels on both, I will recommend this that Browning do this at the dealer show this winter. so don`t give up on levers these BLR`s do shoot well and have long range capability with these hi-power cartridges !
I have a BLR in 308 Win with a Leupold VX-2 3-9x40. It's my primary "deer rifle". Love it.
My BLR straight grip 284 Winchester has been my favorite deer rifle for over 25 years. I have harvested deer from 15 feet straight down out of a tree stand to 250 yards. I would not hesitate to take a shot out to 300 yards. I load my own ammo with Nosler 150 Spitzer bullets. BLRifles are well balanced to carry, shoulder quickly for a fast shot and are plenty accurate for a long shot.
Originally Posted by BLR284
My BLR straight grip 284 Winchester has been my favorite deer rifle for over 25 years. I have harvested deer from 15 feet straight down out of a tree stand to 250 yards. I would not hesitate to take a shot out to 300 yards. I load my own ammo with Nosler 150 Spitzer bullets. BLRifles are well balanced to carry, shoulder quickly for a fast shot and are plenty accurate for a long shot.

yes I can not believe how well these BLR lever rifles handle ,I plan on buying a couple more BLR`s just not sure what caliber yet ? I do wish browning made a 338 win. mag. and a 6.5x284 ? I just might build a 6.5x284 with a 24 inch barrel yet in a BLR ?
I love my leverguns & have many classic Winchesters, Marlins and one Savage. I had a BLR81 in .358 for a couple years. While it was "deer accurate" it's groups were generally a vertical string of 3" or so. Tried a couple mods to the barrel band and forend to no avail. The trigger froze up on a couple cold hunts and the rack and pinion hung up once. I found a Savage 99A in the same caliber and got rid of the BLR. Not a fan.
I like the Savage 99-A with the tang safety, being left handed this works best for me. I have three of them, 250-3000, .243,and .308

Here's two of them

[Linked Image]
Nice Longhunter. Been keeping my eye out for a .250 like that but the folks that have them are mighty proud of 'em! shocked
yes I half a dozen 99`s including a take down 250 ,I kinda don`t want to use my 99`s because I enjoy just handling them and Savage no longer makes this fine rifle. so I hunt with Ruger #1`s and now the Browning BLR`s too. nice picture of those neat 99`s ! wanna sell them ? Pete53
© 24hourcampfire