Home
Posted By: gerry35 Browning BLR WSM owners - 12/14/17
Thinking about buying a BLR 300 WSM, those of you who have a BLR in one of the WSM rounds How do you like them? I'm wondering how well the sharp shouldered cases feed and chamber.

Thanks in advance.
Posted By: pete53 Re: Browning BLR WSM owners - 12/14/17
the 300 W.S.MAG.good caliber to own in a BLR, I purchased two BLR`s last year in older classic cartridges 308 win. and a 300 win. mag. both of these BLR`s shoot excellent,i do plan on buying another BLR in the future,i wish Browning would make a 6.5x284 with a 24 inch S.S. barrel.
I am also considering another BLR in .300 WSM, I would be interested in reading some reviews on this combo.....Hb
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Browning BLR WSM owners - 01/04/18
I owned a 270 wsm for a while and it fed fine. Accuracy fine.
Posted By: pete53 Re: Browning BLR WSM owners - 01/04/18
if you are buying a new BLR wait a couple more months Browning might be bringing out a different cartridge ? I was thinking about buying a 300 wsm but went with the 300 win. mag. instead because ammo will be easier to find out west or in Alaska. my gun shoots 3/4 inch or less at 100 yards all day long but it does have a little recoil too. these Browning levers are super nice guns also !
Posted By: BlackFrog Re: Browning BLR WSM owners - 01/05/18
SHOT Show is only a few weeks away. See what they bring out for the year then.
Posted By: gerry35 Re: Browning BLR WSM owners - 01/13/18
Since I started this thread a friend of mine sold me a BLR in 358 Win, just came in a couple of days ago. Pretty sweet gun I have to say, have been without a BLR for a few years and am happy to have one again.

I still would like a stainless pistol grip 300 WSM some day though. The 358 is a straight stock and feels pretty good, it would be neat to have both styles and see what they are like side by side.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Browning BLR WSM owners - 01/13/18
I'm waiting on a BLR in 6.5 Creedmoor
Posted By: pete53 Re: Browning BLR WSM owners - 01/13/18
Originally Posted by Steelhead

as a gun dealer I have been wondering if Browning will build a 6.5 Creedmoor in the BLR too ? just hope the barrel is longer than 20 inches in a Creedmoor ?
Posted By: gerry35 Re: Browning BLR WSM owners - 01/13/18

I had a rebored BLR in 260 Rem I should have never let go. The BLR is one of the actions that the 6.5 Creedmoor would be a bit better in since the magazine on my 358 Win tops out at 2.815" While we are on the subject I can't believe Browning has never offered a 35 Whelen in their BLR, seems like a no brainer to me. Anyway I'm happy to see what the 358 Win will do....
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Browning BLR WSM owners - 01/13/18
Originally Posted by pete53

as a gun dealer I have been wondering if Browning will build a 6.5 Creedmoor in the BLR too ? just hope the barrel is longer than 20 inches in a Creedmoor ?

Nah, I want the 20" tube. I've never missed a shot and thought 'Gee, I'd have made that if my barrel was 3 inches longer', but I have cursed longer rifles.
Posted By: Vic_in_Va Re: Browning BLR WSM owners - 01/14/18
One thing to be said for longer tubes, though.

The give a hacksaw something to do...
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Browning BLR WSM owners - 01/14/18
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
One thing to be said for longer tubes, though.

The give a hacksaw something to do...

Yeah, it's especially fun when you're trying to counter bore the crown and gluing the front sight back on in your kitchen.
Posted By: Vic_in_Va Re: Browning BLR WSM owners - 01/14/18
Just be sure you're using good glue.

Then there is the possibility having the job professionally done.
Posted By: rcbergs Re: Browning BLR WSM owners - 01/31/18
Bought my son a laminated straight stock stainless BLR in 270 WSM years ago and he loves it. It feeds and chambers smoothly, no different than our other BLRs. We both have many rifles to choose from when we hunt deer but our favorite is the BLR. Great carrying rifle and very accurate. He owns two, I own four, they are all short action calibers, one in 243, two in 308, two in 7mm08 and the 270 WSM.
Posted By: Alessio Re: Browning BLR WSM owners - 01/28/24
Browning has had several BLRs in 6.5 Creedmoor for sometime. Straight grip, pistol grip, laminate, walnut, blued, stainless, and even a takedown model.

Although your fear was warranted as they have 20" barrels. 1 in 8 twist rate and 4 in the magazine.

Model numbers: 034015182, 034009182, 034018182, 034006182
Posted By: Dogslife57 Re: Browning BLR WSM owners - 01/28/24
I have one, have had no issues. To me it's a great combo of a short cartridge with some power and range in a lever gun. I hate under-powered anything. 358 win for thick stuff and shorter shots, 300 WSM for potentially longer ones (and short ones too). Guy I conversed with on another forum uses one for moose and has taken a few with it. He reports the guide wants to steal it!
Originally Posted by gerry35
Since I started this thread a friend of mine sold me a BLR in 358 Win, just came in a couple of days ago. Pretty sweet gun I have to say, have been without a BLR for a few years and am happy to have one again.

I still would like a stainless pistol grip 300 WSM some day though. The 358 is a straight stock and feels pretty good, it would be neat to have both styles and see what they are like side by side.

That's a hell of a friend. I got my dads .358 and wouldn't take a farm in Georgia for it. It shoots any weight bullet plenty good for hunting but really likes the Speer 180 best. Great bullet for deer but a tad light for bigger stuff especially if pushed much faster than 2500 fps . I shoot them at and at 100 yards they act like an oversized varmint bullet , probably hold up better at that speed over 200 yards but you cant see a deer that far around here most places. They don't come apart at 25-2600 but there is a 1/2" difference in group size at 100 yards in my rifle at the slower speed, still around 1" though at the slower speed. I use a stiff dose of H4895 with that bullet.
Posted By: comerade Re: Browning BLR WSM owners - 02/01/24
I teally like the BLR, I have 3
The .243, .270 wcf and .450 Marlin feed well, if I do my part
Originally Posted by EddieSouthgate
Originally Posted by gerry35

That's a hell of a friend. I got my dads .358 and wouldn't take a farm in Georgia for it. It shoots any weight bullet plenty good for hunting but really likes the Speer 180 best. Great bullet for deer but a tad light for bigger stuff especially if pushed much faster than 2500 fps . I shoot them at and at 100 yards they act like an oversized varmint bullet , probably hold up better at that speed over 200 yards but you cant see a deer that far around here most places. They don't come apart at 25-2600 but there is a 1/2" difference in group size at 100 yards in my rifle at the slower speed, still around 1" though at the slower speed. I use a stiff dose of H4895 with that bullet.

The incomplete sentence should read " I shoot them at 2711 fps and at 100 yards they act like an oversized varmint bullet", . And the powder is H 4195 the H 4895 is what I use in .35 Remington with that bullet. Getting old is hell .
Posted By: WStrayer Re: Browning BLR WSM owners - 02/02/24
I have one in 358 Win and wonder if the 20" barrel and action would be a draw back against a magnum cartridge.
Did someone tell you 358 is a brush cartridge and short range only? Or how did you determine that? It is the same case as the 308. Did you know the 308 was used for sniping for generations? You should. Bless your little old heart. RZ.
Posted By: Alessio Re: Browning BLR WSM owners - 02/06/24
The 308 is a 1000 yard cartridge in the right rifle and in the right hands. The 7mm-08 is arguably even better than it's parent cartridge which got me to thinking...

8 years ago I began fire forming 308 brass to 45 cal to make my new wildcat round, the 45-08. With the popularity of 6.5mm everything I may choose to call it the 11.5mm-08, not sure yet.

Like RustyZipper said, you better not call this a brush gun. Due to the increased sectional density and balistic coefficient, this cartridge really bucks the wind and seems to defy gravity. Because of the increased bore diameter, the barrel cools itself and I can shoot a long string of shots without the group opening up at all.

At 1000 yards I get 3/4 inch groups all day and only 1 inch in drop which makes it the perfect elk gun out to about 2000 yards if I do my part.
3/4" with 1" drop at 1000 yards ???? You would be the only person in the world getting that if that were actually the case . You must have a 990 yard long barrel. I would like for you to send me some of whatever you are smoking . You any kin to Big Stick ? You would be about three times more accurate at a 1000 yards than Charlie Greer who holds the Heavy Benchrest Rifle world record at 2.862" for ten shots. Even the best five of that group is well over an inch. Not sure what you claim to shoot like that with but even a hot .270 drops around 7.5 yards at !000 yards and an '06 drops a yard or two more than that. Alessio, you should get your own episode of Modern Marvels.

Shot using a .300 WSM and 225 grain Berger Hybrids . 83 tears old at the time.

https://bergerbullets.com/new-1000-yard-world-record-set-with-berger-bullets/
© 24hourcampfire