Home
Found a NOS Redfield Swing Over mount at Numrich and found NOS rings for it on Ebay. I recently received a 6x36 M8 from diamondjim and thought it was a perfect fit for the Pre-64 243. I wish they still made this kind of stuff. I've missed the swing over mounts ever since I sold a 308 Model 88 that had them. The 308 held zero perfectly and I'm hoping this one will, too.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
looks nice, can you snuggle up on the stock with the scope rolled down? like the old model 88, but I never owned one
Nice looking Rig!
Very nice.....I had one just like it on a Winchester model 100 and never had a problem...they were all the rage back in the day
because everyone thought you just had to be able to use the open sights but I never did....in a severe attack of dumb azz, I sold it way too cheap.
Nice. Old school is simply correct on that rifle.
I've got one of those swing over mounts for a Marlin 336 around here somewhere.
Love it!
Nice looking set up - looks like a fun rifle to hunt with.
Originally Posted by kid0917
looks nice, can you snuggle up on the stock with the scope rolled down? like the old model 88, but I never owned one

Yes sir. It swings out of the way and is far enough forward to use the open sights.
I coincidentally saw this thread today, after having just finished re-installing a Leupold 4x Mountaneer scope on a pre-64 Win M-88 .308 Win. yesterday. The front dovetail base has a slot which is tightened after the ring is twisted in place, to lock the front ring. The rings are vertically split with a single screw holding the top of the rings together. I bought the scope and bases installed on this M-88 years ago in WI, but haven't done much with the rig.

My son saw it and liked it so it will soon be his. The whole setup just goes well together. I suspect the original owner put the whole thing together years ago so I thought that out of respect for the past, the whole thing should stay as it is. Hopefully it'll get back into the deer woods in the next couple of seasons.

I haven't really shot the rifle much, but I was surprised that, after hearing horror stories about the terrible trigger, it seems pretty good for the purpose this rifle was designed - a modern lever action rifle for the woods. And the shotgun crossbolt safety on the front of the trigger guard is much faster than a lot of modern ones.
I shot my first and biggest whitetail buck with a M/88 .308 configured just like that only the scope was a Weaver K2.5 with a post and crosshair reticle. Pivot mounts are fine as long as you keep the screws tight.
© 24hourcampfire