Home
Posted By: abbydog BLR scope recommendations - 03/02/18
My son bought my SAKO FINNLIGHT FOR A FAll HUNT AND I’M LOOKING AT THE Browning
Lever in .300wsm and other calibers.

We are doing a flyin in Newfoundland this fall and outfitter recommendations is to sight In at 200 yards.

A shot beyond that would be the last day of the hunt if opportunity was there.

I like the alpha glass because of low light capabilities and sharpness.

Quite frankly I need some help.

BTW, I have a Model 71 Winchester that I may bring along as a backup gun ifrecommneded by the outfitter.

However I probably need a gun with a Scope! It’s true the eyes go first as we age.

Thank you for the input.
You don't have to worry about bolt clearance, so a large eyepiece is ok. But I hate to ruin the balance of a levergun with a huge scope.

Scopes are always a personal choice with pros and cons that vary depending on individual taste and intended use.

A 36mm objective is a nice trade-off if you don't mind spending the extra coin that comes with it's limited production/availability.
Leupold 2.5-8x36, or 2-7x33 would be good choices. If you could find one, a Kahles AH 2-7x36 is awesome on a BLR. That's what is on my Pre 81 BLR .358. A compact 3-9x?? would be good too. I agree with what DS said above.
Posted By: abbydog Re: BLR scope recommendations - 03/02/18
I was thinking of the Khales, I had one on my Merkel Single shot and it's a great scope.
I have been thinking of the .358, I need to check out who has the ammo.
I have a Model 71, just purchased from my cousin and I will shoot it in the next few weeks, may take it to Newfoundland.
Thanks guys!
Posted By: M1Garand Re: BLR scope recommendations - 03/02/18
I put a VX-1, 2-7x33 on my 358 Win.
Posted By: abbydog Re: BLR scope recommendations - 03/10/18
I’m trying a new fixed 6x Schmidt and Bender. Paid $800

I liked the 1-4x24 flash dot #7 reticle as well, more than I want to spend but not out of the question. You only live once!

In the lever thread I mentioned I bought a mint 7 mm magnum .

I’m still considering EAW quick release mounts to remove for close shots with the open sights. Still pondering spending the extra coin.
Posted By: Tesoro Re: BLR scope recommendations - 03/17/18
I just got a 7-08 ss takedown for a woods gun. I had a spare vx6 2-12x42 that I thought be would be great as I owned it! its not too big but the drop on the straight stock makes it impossible to have a cheek weld so shots go all over the place. I have low talley qd rings/mounts. I am putting a neoprene sleeve on it tomorrow that has the foam inserts to make a 'monte carlo' That will get me inline but then I was planning on putting on a skinner peep setup so I could use and pop off the scope. But then I wont be lined up for the peep with the added height of the cheek piece. So I might just bag the skinner idea and stick with the 2x for close work as the fov is huge.
I also thought about putting on a 2.5 leup scout scope with the qd rings and the skinner. Might still do that but use the 2-10 for load building/range work. Or maybe a 2-7 and keep it low and get rid of the stock sock.
I love the straight stock but its kinda worthless if you want to put on larger optics.
Posted By: Tesoro Re: BLR scope recommendations - 03/19/18
For what its worth...I now think the vx6 2-12x42 is a better fit for the BLR than the 2-7 or 2.5-8x36. Reason being the lowest mount fits the 2-12 with clearance. I was at a shop today and set up a 2.5x8 on a low ring/base and there was way more air between the bell and the barrel than on my 2-12. SO with any of those scopes there is still going to be a cheek weld issue.The 2-12 fits snugger to the gun and has much more fov and the same eye relief for low and high power unlike the 2.5-8. It also has a bigger tube = more light and adjustment. Its an inch longer and 6oz heavier which is okay as the blr isnt a lightweight unless alloy. The same glass is in the non hd vx6 as in the new vx3i. Of course the vx6 costs more too at 600 street vs 400.

I am going to have a machinist make an extended talley base for the rear and tap it so I can put in a skinner peep. Skinner is severely back logged and i'm tired of waiting as I cant even get a date.
Originally Posted by Tesoro
For what its worth...I now think the vx6 2-12x42 is a better fit for the BLR than the 2-7 or 2.5-8x36. Reason being the lowest mount fits the 2-12 with clearance. I was at a shop today and set up a 2.5x8 on a low ring/base and there was way more air between the bell and the barrel than on my 2-12. SO with any of those scopes there is still going to be a cheek weld issue.The 2-12 fits snugger to the gun and has much more fov and the same eye relief for low and high power unlike the 2.5-8. It also has a bigger tube = more light and adjustment. Its an inch longer and 6oz heavier which is okay as the blr isnt a lightweight unless alloy. The same glass is in the non hd vx6 as in the new vx3i. Of course the vx6 costs more too at 600 street vs 400.

I am going to have a machinist make an extended talley base for the rear and tap it so I can put in a skinner peep. Skinner is severely back logged and i'm tired of waiting as I cant even get a date.

Cheek weld should be the same. The reason there was more air between the 2.5-8x36 and the barrel than the 2-12x42 was the 6mm difference between the objectives on these two scopes when placed into the same height rings. If the 2-12 suits your needs and you like it better, go for it.
Posted By: pete53 Re: BLR scope recommendations - 03/20/18
I put a leupold 6x -42 on my 300 win mag .no problems with handling the gun ,these more powerful levers do have a little recoil but boy are these BLR`S accurate ! I may be going to Alaska and my friends use a 7 mag and I just might buy another BLR in 7 rem. mag too ?
Posted By: abbydog Re: BLR scope recommendations - 03/21/18
I’m waiting for a call from New England Custom Gun any day to pick up my gun.

I’m getting hooked on these levers bought a Winchester 71 last month .

I missed a mint .358 in RI last week, on GI.

Don’t know what I’ll get next, maybe a .243 or a.22 for practice.
Posted By: Tesoro Re: BLR scope recommendations - 03/21/18
Originally Posted by magshooter1
Originally Posted by Tesoro

Cheek weld should be the same. The reason there was more air between the 2.5-8x36 and the barrel than the 2-12x42 was the 6mm difference between the objectives on these two scopes when placed into the same height rings. If the 2-12 suits your needs and you like it better, go for it.

what I meant to imply is the 2-12 visually fits snugger! the 2.5-8 looks like more of a high mount even though it isnt because of the bell. Correct that the weld is the same. The straight stock comb is still too low though and I have a big fat head to boot. The neoprene sock with pad makes for the right fit. If I didnt already have the 2-12 I would probably go with the 2.5-8.
Posted By: RBak7x57 Re: BLR scope recommendations - 03/23/18
If I were mounting a scope on a BLR.... of any caliber, I would mount it as LOW as possible.
Raising your cheek up from the stock to "get a better picture" is a sure fire recipe for a miss.
The stock of the BLR is designed in such a way that this is very doable, and very rewarding, when done properly..
Posted By: JJWise Re: BLR scope recommendations - 04/07/18
I put a 3-9x40 on my 308 BLR and regretted it. Bout to order a fixed 4x or maybe another 2-7x for it. By all means put a bigger scope on it if that’s what you’re after, but because I already had bolt actions with 3-9x scopes that could handle any sort of distance I’d want to shoot while hunting I got the BLR to fit somewhere between my iron sighted 30-30 and the scoped 270 or 30-06. Just my 2 cents.
Posted By: pete53 Re: BLR scope recommendations - 04/07/18
I put a plain jane 3-9 x40 leupold,medium mnts on my son`s new BLR ss 308 win shoots under 1/2 inch all day long,fall of 2017 shot a big 8pt.whitetail buck dressed 190lbs. one shot 250 yards and in Montana shot a nice 5x5 muledeer buck one shot 200 yards ,most hunters would have mounted both those bucks, he`s happy with this lever for deer under 300 yards. son did say: because a lot of mule deer are a long ways out 500 -600 yards he will use his Ruger #1 257 Weatherby Mag. with bi-pod again for those longer shot hunts in late November during the rutt.
Posted By: abbydog Re: BLR scope recommendations - 04/07/18
When si buy a .358 I’m looking at the Zeiss 1.1 - 5 x 36 #60 dot reticle.
I like their 2-8 as well.
Posted By: pete53 Re: BLR scope recommendations - 04/08/18
got a BLR ss 7 mag. back ordered.,because of recoil will put a picatinny rail on it and site in a 6 x leupold take off for a spare and then mount a 4.5-14x56 niteforce for hunts I will go on.
Posted By: abbydog Re: BLR scope recommendations - 04/08/18
I shot my 7mm today using hornady 175 Gr sp and was very pleased.

Shot 50 and 100 yards.

Tried 160 Gr Federal as well.
© 24hourcampfire