Home
Posted By: 444Matt Burris Fast Fire - 08/02/18
Anyone running one on a levergun? I’d love to see some pictures and hear how they’ve held up and how accurate you are able to be with them. Thinking it would be slick on a pistol caliber lever.
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: Burris Fast Fire - 08/03/18
This is a post I made on this subject in Feb. 2015:

Had one on an 1894 Trapper and have mounted it on a 336 as well. The mount for this overhangs the back of the aciton on an 1894 which is why it's attached to the front mounting holes, but on a 336 it sits pretty much flush with the back of the action.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I've written a couple of opinions on it's use if you want to read those. Note these comments are about the older Fastfire II.

Post on Burris Fastfire from 2011

Another post on Burris Fastfire from 2011
Posted By: 444Matt Re: Burris Fast Fire - 08/03/18
Thanks Jim
Posted By: EdM Re: Burris Fast Fire - 08/03/18
I have one on my M71 and like it a bunch.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Burris Fast Fire - 08/03/18
How are they in low light ? I have a red dot on a shotgun and naturally you can see the dot in low light situations but the target not so much.
Posted By: Vic_in_Va Re: Burris Fast Fire - 08/04/18
I have had a Burris FF II, FF III, and Vortex Venom on my .45-70.

The FF II was somewhat hard to zero, and you had to take the sight loose from the mount to change the battery. The FF III addressed those issues, but when on "auto" it would time out after 10 hours and cut itself off. The Venom has a 14 hour window, and that will get me through a whole day without cutting off in the afternoon.

I am of the opinion that there is no faster sight for a woods gun where one may be engaging moving targets than a red dot.

I have an EGW rail on my GG, and the Venom is mounted on an American Defense QD mount, and I also have a Leupold VX-3i 1.5-5X20 in QD rings. Changing the sighting system presents no issue given the range that rifle is typically used at.
Posted By: Vic_in_Va Re: Burris Fast Fire - 08/04/18
A pic with the FF II and a Marlin Mount. The FF III and Venom are very similar in appearance and size.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: DocFoster Re: Burris Fast Fire - 08/04/18
Here's my Browning 65 218 Bee with a fastfire 111 on the Williams 5D sight base. Fastfire matched the Williams screw pattern. Works very well.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Vic_in_Va Re: Burris Fast Fire - 08/05/18
That oughta give you some more elevation, a lever version of the 20 moa rail...(grin)

Here's my Guide gun with the VX3i in QD rings.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 444Matt Re: Burris Fast Fire - 08/05/18
Gotta get a set of those stocks....every time I see yours I’m reminded of how crappy the standard guide gun wood is.
The higher comb helped tremendously with recoil. That, and keeping loads at a reasonable level.....
Posted By: 444Matt Re: Burris Fast Fire - 08/05/18
The thinner fore arm is what I’m after
Posted By: JSH Re: Burris Fast Fire - 08/05/18
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
The higher comb helped tremendously with recoil. That, and keeping loads at a reasonable level.....

Sorry if you have mentioned this before but is that a Boyd's stock set? I am interested in a higher comb on my Guide Gun for scope use but can't tell from the Boyd's specifications. The thinner forearm would also be an advantage.
Posted By: klondike_mike Re: Burris Fast Fire - 08/05/18
Originally Posted by EdM

[Linked Image]

What mount is that? Nice clean installation.
Posted By: woods_walker Re: Burris Fast Fire - 08/05/18
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
A pic with the FF II and a Marlin Mount. The FF III and Venom are very similar in appearance and size.

[Linked Image]

Hello Vic,

Could you elaborate on the Marlin mount. The brand and the source?

Thanks
JSH, that stock set is a Brockman's Rifles set. It was not so bad when I bought them, but they have gotten *really* proud of them lately.

Woodswalker, the mount I used with the FF II is made by Burris, for the Marlin 336. The rifle now has an EGW rail, and I use an American Defense QD mount with the red dot I presently use (a Viper Venom), and can readily change to a 1.5-5X20 Leupold VX-3i mounted in QD mounts. Zero shift is negligible, especially considering the longest shot I will take is 100 yards (that's the range I zero at). The longest actual field shot at game has been 60 yards.

The Venom has the same footprint as the FastFire, and it has a feature I liked. I didn't switch due to a performance issue.
Posted By: M1Garand Re: Burris Fast Fire - 08/06/18
Originally Posted by EdM

[Linked Image]

I have the Williams FP on mine but am looking at that the Burris for mine. What's the mount you put on yours?
Posted By: EdM Re: Burris Fast Fire - 08/07/18
Originally Posted by klondike_mike
Originally Posted by EdM

[Linked Image]

What mount is that? Nice clean installation.

Doug Turnbull's mount.
Posted By: JohnnyLoco Re: Burris Fast Fire - 08/15/18
I’ve run them on 444’s and others with no problem. I was even running one on the 444 I had pictured in the optics thread that I replaced with a Leupold Freedom.

The Fastfire III is pretty good, I wouldn’t spend a penny more for a hunting rig.

The problem I had with them is they frankly didn’t work as good for me as a high-viz green front and a Skinner dovetail ghost rear.

Your quest sounds familiar to many of us I’m sure. I love an unscoped levergun and if looking for a “dot”, simple is better.

Probably the most utilitarian option for a Marlin I’ve ever found is the sight set I mentioned with weaver #S466 bases on the receiver. You can put a scope in Leupold QRW’s, sight it in, and keep the scope in your backpack. It returns to zero perfectly and mounts in seconds.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Burris Fast Fire - 09/19/18
Turnbull makes a cool mount for the Fastfire that fits right in the rear sight dovetail. No extra holes, can go right back to original.

Looks like it keeps the sight nice and low as well.

https://www.turnbullrestoration.com/gun/fastfire-barrel-mount-model-1892-1894/
Posted By: EdM Re: Burris Fast Fire - 09/19/18
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Turnbull makes a cool mount for the Fastfire that fits right in the rear sight dovetail. No extra holes, can go right back to original.

See post number 4 above.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Burris Fast Fire - 09/21/18
The link I put up is for his barrel mount.

You have to D/T the receiver for yours?
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Burris Fast Fire - 09/21/18
Originally Posted by EdM

See post number 4 above.

Well that makes no sense.
Posted By: Mac284338 Re: Burris Fast Fire - 09/22/18
Tried a FFIII on my Marlin 45-70 as I thought the lightweight would be good. It is great but my 69 yr old eyes want my scope back. So, going to sell the FF. If interested let me know and we can PM. Mike
Posted By: 65BR Re: Burris Fast Fire - 09/23/18
Not tried one yet....but a 2.5x Leupold I had on a 357 Marlin did under 1" at 65 yds (not on a bench) - it also did well using a peep. A 4x Leupold with #1 German also was great but less "compact" obviously.
Posted By: EdM Re: Burris Fast Fire - 09/25/18
The link I put up is for his barrel mount.

You have to D/T the receiver for yours?

Nope.
© 24hourcampfire