Home
...besides the tube loading?

Looking at comments in online reviews and certainly lots of opinions expressed in these forums it seems the first thing folks bring up is how much they don't like the tube loading and most of the reasoning for that seems to be because it doesn't allow quick combat reloads - which I won't comment on.

But, other than that, what is not to like about a Henry? I've looked at several examples over the last several months and Sunday went and looked again at a standard blue steel/walnut .30-30 at Sportsman's. It had the best trigger I've ever felt on a lever action, bar none. My semi-educated finger put the weight at about 3 1/2 pounds, zero creep and no overtravel, it truly felt like a good bolt action trigger. The action was smooth as silk, no hesitation at the start of the lever throw to cock the hammer, at least none that I could feel. The transfer bar hammer eliminates any external safety at all and is certainly as safe as any Ruger revolver. Obviously couldn't check accuracy in the store but from what I've been able to find in reviews they seem to run about typical for a better Marlin 336, 1.5 MOA or so average with some exceptions getting 1 MOA and some close to 2 MOA.

The wood on all five of the various Henry's they had on the rack was really nice for a lever action or any modern factory rifle for that matter, definitely nicer than anything on any of the new Marlins except their big buck TDL and as nice or nicer than the Miroku 94's they had in stock, and to be honest a lot better than most of the wood Ruger puts on their $1400 No. 1's these days.

There were a couple of cons that stood out, mostly the 14" LOP which felt about 1/2" too long IMO, folks with longer arms might not be bothered. The checkering pattern is a bit busy, I'd just as soon have no checkering or better the straight forward pattern on their Big Boy series sans the curved lines. And to be real honest, the name "Henry" just doesn't inspire awe in me. Maybe "Excelsior" or something would have been a better choice. wink

I like Marlins and Winchester 94's, having had well over a dozen of the former in various calibers and at least a half dozen of the latter, but I wanted to approach the Henry with an open mind and from I've seen they are really well built lever rifles, which makes me wonder why - except for the tube loading which seems to be some kind of real hot button issue - so many folks seem to have such a dislike for them.
I am a sucker for a pretty face. it looks cheap to me and that is a real turn off. I have no problem with tube loading, my 61 Winchester loads that way.
Perhaps they have changed it since I looked at a Henry, but the front sight used to be made of nylon. That would be a turn off for me.
It has been changed, it's now a brass bead dovetailed into the barrel. It's pretty tall and would look better with a ramp sight but lots of other rifles use the same technique so they aren't alone. On the good side from what I've read is that because of its height you don't need to switch it out when mounting a peep sight.

[Linked Image]
Good news, then. I may have to look into the Big Boy in .44 Mag.
Henry rifles have the quality and most shoot well, but I still don't like them. For me a lever action offers me absolutely zero advantage over a bolt action rifle. I like, and use them for purely nostalgic reasons. If I'm buying a lever action rifle, and I own a dozen of them, I want the traditional design features if it is a reproduction, or the original. All of the Henry rifles look kinda, sorta, like a traditional Marlin or Winchester from a distance. But up close they are not. Plus most all of them are waay heavier than a lever action should be.

If I were considering a Henry, I'd just as soon have this.

https://www.guns.com/news/review/gun-review-mossberg-464-spx-tactical-lever-action-30-30-video
Henry rifles are kinda neat I wished they would offer them in some other cartridges like a 7mm-08,358 win.356 or ? now for the thought on a Henry rifle you compare a Ruger no.1 price and wood that Ruger no.1 is a way better rifle and made much better too. slide both levers down and up just look at the workmanship of a Ruger no.1 then a Henry rifle there is a huge difference.
Jim in Idaho,
I was like you recently. I had also only read negative comments about the lack of loading gate on the Henry rifles. Everyone who takes time to post only complains about the loading tube. My only experience was with a Marlin 336 in 35 Remington and an 1894 in 357 Magnum. The 1894 did suffer slightly from the Marlin Jam. Sometimes it fed great and sometimes it started screwing up. As it got dirty the jam got worse. This fall I purchased Henry big boy in 327 Federal Magnum. There is no problem with cycling this action it's very smooth. It is very accurate from the limited amount of time I've had to play with it. I wish I had tried the Henry earlier. Now that I have one I don't see why I was afraid of not having a loading gate on the side of the receiver. I don't miss the pinched fingers and the scratched up brass. Plus I can hold 10 in the tube. I say get one.
I’ll start out by saying I am a Henry fan, especially their rimfire rifles. The H001 22 is the best deal going on new leverguns these days. That said, I find their center fires on the heavy or bulky side. They are also kind of pricey, but I guess most are these days. I prefer used Marlin, Winchesters or Savages. The tube loading doesn’t bother me for rimfire or pistol calibers, but I don’t like it for centerfire rifle rounds.
I don’t like that they don’t make a Henry chambered in .35 Remington.
They resemble a cheap hybrid IMO and would stand out like a whore in church next to my Uberti's, Winchesters and Marlins. Just not my cup of traditional tea .
Cartoon looks and extra pounds!
Originally Posted by JMR40

My eyes!! My eyes!! I can't unsee what I've seen and I'm not really sure what I saw!!
I guess I'm gonna break down and buy one of their big boy steels in .45 Colt between now and spring.

It'll get hunted, plinked with, truck gunned a little.

There are a few things it does or has that Marlins and Winchesters (and Rossis and Ubertis) don't.

-A NEW 16.5" .45 Colt model is AVAILABLE.
-It has a recoil pad, not that you really need it with all but the heaviest loads, but I can lean it up in the corner and it won't slide out onto the hardwood floor.
-It has sling swivels so I don't have to figure out how to carry it and drag out a deer.
-It has a 1:16 twist, which is kinda fast, but it beats the 1:38 everybody uses on the .44 Mag (Henry included).
-There is no stupid useless safety.
-No one has griped yet about the stupid huge .45 Colt Chambers.

There are a few things I wish were different. I'm not wild about the Hawken-esque perch belly forend, but it beats the grooved line post that Marlin uses on their '94's. It's also my understanding that OAL can be limited, so I may have to find a different mold (currently a 270 SAA), but it's also my understanding that the new ones have a bit more leeway.
They are ugly, especially next to any JMB designed gun.
I bought a Henry BB Silver in both 357 and 44 mag. Was not a fan of the brass/gold look, but really like the Silver. Both guns shoot very well with various loads. Tibe feeding doesn't bother me as if I cant get what I need done or to the next gun with 10 rounds, well....I better learn to shoot better.
Originally Posted by K1500
They are ugly, especially next to any JMB designed gun.

This in spades.
Fine. I have the Henry BB brass in .357/.38, 20" octagon barrel. Heavy? A bit, but, I don't really care, as it isn't a field gun, strictly for plinking. Next up, Henry BB steel in .45. Winchester's aren't worth their price, Marlin's seem to still be having teething issues. So, I chose Henry. Buy and enjoy what you want. It really is that simple. I like the older Marlin 1894's, but, those prices, nada.
Originally Posted by JMR40
Henry rifles have the quality and most shoot well, but I still don't like them. For me a lever action offers me absolutely zero advantage over a bolt action rifle. I like, and use them for purely nostalgic reasons. If I'm buying a lever action rifle, and I own a dozen of them, I want the traditional design features if it is a reproduction, or the original. All of the Henry rifles look kinda, sorta, like a traditional Marlin or Winchester from a distance. But up close they are not. Plus most all of them are waay heavier than a lever action should be.

If I were considering a Henry, I'd just as soon have this.

https://www.guns.com/news/review/gun-review-mossberg-464-spx-tactical-lever-action-30-30-video

I could hear the bad guys if John Wayne or Roy Rogers rode up with one of these lol

So what don't you like about a Henry...

I have dozens of lever actions and none look like these 2...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
For me the Henry works well. I carry a rifle every day on a four wheeler or a tractor while feeding or just checking the cows. It gets wet, dropped, and bumped around. My safe has a few old Winchesters, a nice marlin or two and some really pretty uberti clones in it that are mostly Saturday afternoon shootin guns. The gun rack by the back door holds three rifles, the steel Henry 41 mag, a 357 marlin and an ar. 223. I find myself grabbing the Henry most often probably because it's scoped, carries well in the hand, and is easy to load and unload with stiff fingers. I will admit the caliber is a favorite and prefer Keith style swc bullets which this gun handles well.
That's a beautiful collection there Shrapnel.
I have a Henry .327 Federal. The only thing I don't like is it is not drilled on the side of the receiver for a Lyman sight.
The Marlin is no longer drilled and Lyman will not make a sight for the AE. RifLes.

The Lyman sight is superior to the Williams sight in that the stem is quickly removable, the elevation scale can be adjusted, marked and replaced easily and you can adjust windage with out tools.

I have an XS sight on a .32 Magnum Marlin but it is nit a good sight for a cast bullet small game hunter.
I'm a Marlin guy, but I do have one of the Small Game rifles in .22mag. Too smooth, too slick. Seriously. I like levers because of the personality they have, and the Henrys just don't seem to have it. To me they feel like pot metal with a polyester coating. The Henry works--flawlessly, but it still feels like it was made by Hasbro. I can't stand the "big loop" either, but I can change that. Unfortunately, Marlin 1894s in 22 mag are hard to find and usually priced beyond what I have to spend, so for now, my 22mag lever gun is a Henry.
The Henry scope base put the scope much too high for me on a 45 Colt carbine. The scope height was not a problem on a 22.
On your carbine, you could buy the Talley integral mount/ring from "Henry Pride" store. It works perfectly on my Henry BB brass .357 with a Weaver 1-3x20mm scope. I believe they go $49.

When I had the carbine a couple years ago, I did not find that option. I wish I had. I recently put the Talley's on my Marlin 1895; they are the best solution I have found for keeping the scope low on a lever gun.
eblake, glad that one worked for you. I'll probably put the same set-up on my .45 Colt, if I scope it. A Henry.
right now I have 2 marlins and a henry. the henry is a 22 mag and even though the henry may have a slicker and smoother action you are honestly lucky to hit a soda can at fifty yards 4 out of 10 shots. I have tried every weight and brand of ammo made with no luck.

the marlins are tack drivers.

I may own another henry some day but I will darn sure see it shoot first.

Plastic, pot metal, and sprayed on metal finishes...

They are heavier than they need to be, IMO, because they need extra material in their build for basic strength.

The engineering and execution seem to be fairly well done, and they seem to perform to most of their buyers expectations...
went in to look at 1894 marlins, specifically the 357c model, handled it and looked it over closely. it was on special so I decided I wanted it. after waiting for the paperwork. I asked to see a henry big boy in 357, to me the henry didn't feel as solid. it just had a cheaper feel as I cycled the action. yeah the wood is way better and finished better. I wish marlin would just simply darken the finish a tad, then maybe make the finish deeper. not having the loading gate is kinda of a big deal. you can't really top the gun off like you can with the loading gate. ALSO imo the loading gate is part of the lever gun experience.
I have a Henry .327 federal.
I like being able to sling the rifle upside down and load it with both hands while wearing gloves. Loading gates can be hard on cloth gloves.
What the Henry needs is to be drilled for a receiver sight. Marlin quit drilling the side of the receiver and this was a mistake for them too. Two drilled and tapped holes with plug screws did not cost much.
Originally Posted by johnw

Plastic, pot metal, and sprayed on metal finishes...

They are heavier than they need to be, IMO, because they need extra material in their build for basic strength.

The engineering and execution seem to be fairly well done, and they seem to perform to most of their buyers expectations...

I now have two Henry Big Boys in .41 and neither has plastic, pot metal or sprayed on metal finishes. Really great rifles and well balanced. The best of the current crop of lever guns in my opinion. I would buy another henry centerfire in a heartbeat and am considering a 30-30. Well designed, functional modern lever rifles.
Originally Posted by rayporter
right now I have 2 marlins and a henry. the henry is a 22 mag and even though the henry may have a slicker and smoother action you are honestly lucky to hit a soda can at fifty yards 4 out of 10 shots. I have tried every weight and brand of ammo made with no luck.

the marlins are tack drivers.

I may own another henry some day but I will darn sure see it shoot first.

I had an octagon barrel 22 Mag briefly and I had more trouble getting that damn thing zeroed, than any other rifle I can remember. Had to drift the rear sight far to the right with the front sight perfectly centered. Their factory sights are pretty coarse anyhow and do not contribute to fine accuracy.

I bought my wife a youth size Golden Boy several years ago, cleaned up the trigger and put a decent set of sights on it. That has been a very slick and accurate little rimfire.

Most all the Henry centerfires just look wrong to me and I personally want a loading gate on a centerfire lever action. They're also pretty expensive for what you get. One of our local shops has had Henry 'brass' 44 Mag and 45-70 rifles sitting idle for several years now while a dozen new & used Marlins, Winchesters and Rossis have sold from the same rack.
The couple I've played with were heavier than a boat anchor.
The weight issue comes up often in the discussion of the Henry. I have not handled many but here is how the .327 Federal compares to the .32 H&R Magnum and .32-20 Marlin rifles.
Our Henry .327 Federal weighs 7.05lb.
The Marlin 1894 in .32 H&R Magnum weighs 7.15lb.
The Marlin 1894CL in .32-20 weighs 6.50lb..

The .327 Henry is 37 1/2" OAL
The .32 Magnum Marlin is 36 3/4" OAL.

The length of pull on the Henry is 14" even
The LOP on the Marlin is 13 3/8" The rifles were measured at full cock as it makes a difference on the Marlin trigger position.

The forearm length measured from receiver to the muzzle end of the forearm tip for the Henry is 7 7/8".
For the Marlin 9 1/8".

The Marlin receiver is shorter. Both rifles come up to the shoulder naturally and the sights position themselves in front of the eye.
The Henry has a slightly longer lever throw.

The checkering on the Henry stock is fine enough to not feel like big coarse humps like the Winchester Model 94AE rifles.
When viewed in pictures the Henry does appear bulky. When viewed side by side the rifle compare favorably.
Fondled several Henrys at the RMEF show in Vegas. The more I handle the 16.5" Big Boy Steel (they had a .44 mag at the show), the more I like it.
16.5" Big Boy Steel Carbine weights 6.59lbs. Prolly is heavier than a short barreled '92.
In terms of a 16.5" .45 Colt though, it comes closer to what I want, than anything CURRENTLY produced at anywhere near that price point. At least as far as I can tell.

I would likely swap to a regular lever instead of the big loop and put on a Skinner peep on it.
Looked at a couple a few days ago.
Agree with people who dislike em
Dont disagree with people who do

They just look chintzy to me
Some of the stock lines espically the high combs just dont look right to my eye
The tube feed system .... uh ya......

Too each their own.

Pre safety Marlins and winchesters are where it,s at.
JMO.
The only Henry that interests me is the .327 Federal ... 'cause Marlin and Winchester don't offer it. (Wish Ruger would do a rotory magazine bolt action for it.) .327 would be a ton of fun for jackrabbits in the sage. Not to say .357 is bad .. unless you're a jackrabbit. If you are, it sucks to be you!

Tom
I won a Henry 22LR Golden Boy large lever last week ,have not shot it yet but its very pretty lever and my 6 year old grand son has already claimed it. dang it I hope he takes care of this Golden Boy ,I told him its his rifle once he passes gun training.
My tablet and my laptop seem to dislike attaching pictures.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
The Marlin 32 H&R Magnum 1894 and thhe Henry 327 Federaal both load from the magazine tube. The Marlin is a desirable collectors item. The Henry is junk...
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Henrys are fugly as hell. They make Marlins looks pretty.
Pointless thread Jim. The campfire's hypocrisy know no bounds.

I'd be willing to bet that 90% of the Henry haters that flock to these threads own "Plastic" AR's, 700 SPS's, Ruger Predators, Savage Axis,or any number of the other cheap plastic chit that's so popular these days.

Oh....and BTW...they're all "tube fed".....the difference is which end of the tube you load it from.

My octagon barreled Henry 22mag is the most reliable, accurate 22mag I've ever own and that includes Marlins and Winchesters.

to heavy
The weight far too heavy
When the Henry lever .22's were first introduced I had a couple of them apart. At that time the internals were pretty crude & poorly finished. Haven't had the opportunity to mess with any of the newer rifles, have they improved the internal workmanship?
Originally Posted by shrapnel

I have dozens of lever actions and none look like these 2...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This post really says it all!

I managed to really tick off some Henry fanboys by stating that they looked as if they were designed by a fairly talented 5 year old on the back of a Peechee folder.
I've held two new Remlins in .45 Colt in the last two weeks. One looked like it had no finish on the stock, a canted front sight, a crooked rear sling stud (if you shoot with your arm through the sling, will it offset the sight?:)), and a 10 pound trigger.

The other was an octagon barrel job (heavy), and the lever would drop about a 1/4" and that was it. Lever wouldn't drop further, bolt wouldn't move at all. Counter dude was obviously annoyed, fooled with it, put it up an said "that ones going back to Marlin".

Remlin is 0-2. While the design is supposedly sound enough, one could make some sort of comment about the execution being performed by an inbred learning-disabled grade schooler from whatever state or region you choose to disparage, but I digress..........

I wanted a new gun that fit my needs. I wasn't interested in what brand X did 20 or 120 years ago. Marlin and Henry both had rifles close to the spec I wanted. I'd have bought a Marlin if they had shown any inclination towards quality. They didn't.

Ordered a 16.5" steel framed round barreled Henry Monday.

The Henry's I've held and shot have been pretty smooth, decent triggers, accurate, and the steel framed round barrel models are still reasonably light. Really hope when mine gets here it is consistent with the ones I've fooled with and fondled.

Might not look like Shrapnel's (beautiful guns, as per usual), but I think it'll likely feed, shoot, and show some degree of reasonable quality control when it gets here.

Range report will be coming sometime this spring..........

Have only one Henry.....had to see what all the fuss was about......

Silver Eagle in 22 LR....purty wood.....nice fit & finish....accurate..

its still not a Marlin 39...........(pic 2)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
I’ve never shot a Marlin 39.
9422’s seemed to rule the lever .22 market in my AO.

I’ll have to get around to that someday.
Give me an older Winchester or pre Remington Marlin any day over a fuggly ass Henry.
I had a Big Boy Classic in 45 Colt for a while. It shot well enough. Purely personal observations:

1. Too heavy.for action's robustness
2. Hated the way the gold finish reacted to cleaning.
3. Made me feel like it required cotton gloves for handling it.

Again, the above observations are purely personal.
I have a Henry 45-70 and very much like it. It shoots Barnes 300gr. TSX and Speer 400gr. right where I want them. Weight isn’t a problem.
Before I bought it I read all the reviews. People were bad mouthing them saying they were slow to reload. But I looked at it like this, if you couldn’t kill what you were shooting at with 6 rnds of 45-70 their would be no need to reload. I know Henry list 4 in the tube and one in the chamber but it’ll hold 5 in the tube.
I don’t know if my Henry is as smooth running as an older Marlin, but it is a tight and solid piece of steel and wood.
I had to put a Leupold 6x on mine, sometimes my eyes aren’t to good. Especially in the low light woods.
I used quick release rings so I could take it off if I desired.
Weight seems to be the issue. I would be interested in seeing some posts with weight.
I have a Marlin Guide Gun but that is not apples to apples.
Here are the .327 Vs .32 H&R Magnum and .32-20 weights.
Our Henry .327 Federal weighs 7.05lb.
The Marlin 1894 in .32 H&R Magnum weighs 7.15lb.
The Marlin 1894CL in .32-20 weighs 6.50lb..

So the Henry is a half pound heavier than the Marlin .32-20.

Looking on the web sites Marlin lists Approximate weights.
20" 45-70 as approximately 7lb.
Henry says it 18.4" 45-70 weighs 7.08lb.

Marlin says a 20" .45 Colt weighs 6.5lb - approximately.
Henry says a 20" .45 Colt weighs 7.0lb.

Weight does not appear to be an issue.
I have owned Marlin rifles for almost 60 years. I currently have 4 JM 336s and and a 444s in my safe, and I have had a lot more of them pass through my hands. Yesterday, I purchased a blue round barrel .357 Henry Carbine-my first Henry. By every outward quality appearance measure I can apply, it equals or exceeds any Marlin I have been around. The real test will come when I start pouring rounds through it in the next few days, but I am already pretty damn sure this little guy will shoot. CP.
Incidentally, my new Carbine, referenced above, is the plain-Jane entry level Henry. It weights 6lbs 12ozs. With the gold, silver, case harden or octagon barrel versions of this rifle, you are dealing with the pigged-up (heavy for what they are) versions of Henry rifles and those are of absolutely no interest to me. I wanted a little companion Carbine to go with my Ruger GP 100 .357 and that is what I got with this rifle. CP.
Thanks for the real world weight on the BBS round barrel CP. Keep us updated on how she shoots. At 6lbs. 12oz. for the .357, my .45 Colt ought come in a shade lighter, due the bigger hole in the barrel.

Amazing that some folks can't savvy how brass frames and octagon barrels make guns heavier................

Just got word that my carbine landed at my FFL!!
What is available for trigger upgrades for the Henry rifles (especially .327, if it matters) ? Lever action varmint rifle needs to provide fairly precise "hit-ability".
I don't own any henrys,there probably fine built in the U.S. firearms,but i like the older lever guns!! :

[Linked Image] savages

[Linked Image] winchesters

[Linked Image] marlins
Wow-you have a truly spectacular collection-pretty damn impressive. CP.
Wow. Outstanding.
I just cant get into collecting Henrys yet !!! grin
Don your going to have to wait another 25-30 years! grin
John, yup at 95 or 96 i'll probably be senile enough !!!!!! grin grin
The worst part about owning a Henry is that every time I pick up one of the other brands I am reminded that the fit, finish, and smoothness of the action could be better. I was perfectly pleased with the inferior quality until Henry came along.
The early Henry's made such an impression,
That I don't even look at them.

Fair, no.
But there it is.

I wonder if much of their popularity comes from their Made in USA ad campaigns.
I like to buy American, but don't buy solely on that.

Would prefer an older used, even abused Marlin. And its Made in the USA.
The ONLY .327 Federal levergun. Selection was easy.
yes the newer levers like the Henry lever rifles may not be as good as the older Winchesters or Marlins,but you can say the same thing about bolt action rifles also 50 year old Sako bolt actions,pre 64 Winchesters, Remington 700`s made in the 50`s, 60`s or 70`s those bolt actions were some of the best ever made. i kinda thing its America`s fault and some other countries too ? why ? good help is hard to get ,money > big gun companies want to build fast , cheaper materials with poor informed workers. try to find young people with good work habits and ability ,i know as a lineman and foreman i seen some very poor help hired in my line of work these days,but i did manage to get few that were good lineman. its like these young city -town broken family kids have no respect for anything or pride in what they do,its all me-me -me,you can bet Henry Rifles has trouble finding good help too these days.
So much bad rapping Henry,have you ever owned one,I have.I'm 63,have owned many Marlins,Winchester,and a few (19) Savage 99's over the years.I have never owned any other that has had the factory wood to metal fit like my Henrys.The case color in my 45/70 is as real and beautiful as the best L C Smith I have ever seen,The pride in workman ship is justified,as is the quality.The owner will bend over backwards to make it what you want,and made in America.The Japanese Winchesters are nice but much more money,and made in Japan,the pre 64 Winchesters are history,nice but only available on the used market.Marlins(always were my favorite)are gone,like the pre 64 Winchesters,history,only used available and getting awful pricey.Henry is not trying to build you a pre-64 Winchester or an original Marlin,he's trying to build a great gun thats better than the current competition in todays market,build it here to help keep America strong,and building it with pride.Give the company a break,lighten up,go have fun shooting a Henry,enjoy it while we still can,those days are getting short in todays world.............................THANK YOU ANTHONY FOR GIVING US THE HENRY
Originally Posted by bgl0b6
So much bad rapping Henry,have you ever owned one,I have.I'm 63,have owned many Marlins,Winchester,and a few (19) Savage 99's over the years.I have never owned any other that has had the factory wood to metal fit like my Henrys.The case color in my 45/70 is as real and beautiful as the best L C Smith I have ever seen,The pride in workman ship is justified,as is the quality.The owner will bend over backwards to make it what you want,and made in America.The Japanese Winchesters are nice but much more money,and made in Japan,the pre 64 Winchesters are history,nice but only available on the used market.Marlins(always were my favorite)are gone,like the pre 64 Winchesters,history,only used available and getting awful pricey.Henry is not trying to build you a pre-64 Winchester or an original Marlin,he's trying to build a great gun thats better than the current competition in todays market,build it here to help keep America strong,and building it with pride.Give the company a break,lighten up,go have fun shooting a Henry,enjoy it while we still can,those days are getting short in todays world.............................THANK YOU ANTHONY FOR GIVING US THE HENRY

I've never owned a Microbus. That isn't necessary in order for me to conclude it is UGLY.

I'll take a Miroku Winchester over a ugly tube fed Henry any day. I don't care that it's made in Japan. It's a quality gun. My Browning/Miroku shotguns have many thousands of rounds shot through them with not a single problem. The blueing is still immaculate and the actions are tight.
I also do not understand why people have to buy a new gun. A quality firearm will last many lifetimes if it is well maintained. A Winchester/ Miroku is the only new lever gun I would buy right now, if I wanted a new gun.

I didn't say the henry sucked. I will probably by one, one of these days. They are a different rifle from a marlin or a winchester, they just flat out are. I like the loading gate personally. I like the feel of the 1894 marlin better than the henry big boy both in handling and the way the action feels. If they made 1894's as a copy of marlin, I would much rather deal with henry. they are a better company no doubt. but they are a different gun,
Originally Posted by whackem_stackem

I'll take a Miroku Winchester over a ugly tube fed Henry any day. I don't care that it's made in Japan. It's a quality gun. My Browning/Miroku shotguns have many thousands of rounds shot through them with not a single problem. The blueing is still immaculate and the actions are tight.
I also do not understand why people have to buy a new gun. A quality firearm will last many lifetimes if it is well maintained. A Winchester/ Miroku is the only new lever gun I would buy right now, if I wanted a new gun.

Its funny,I also said the Japan Winchesters were nice but expensive,Winchester catalog show 94's at about $1300-1400.When I started hunting a new 94 Winchester was $89.I have 2 Japan made Browning SA 22 rifles,I think they are beautiful little rifles,but I tried to sell one a while back,all I heard is it a Japan gun,if it was a Belgium its worth all this money,made in Japan no takers.I think the Henry is a beautiful rifle,and the funny thing is the deer don't care where I load it,My only statement in my post is it is a quality built rifle made by an American Co.As for the Micro bus,have you checked where those ugly busses are selling for.I never owned one either but I could retire on what those ugly things are worth today.

Nicely said yes i will agree Henry rifles is trying, now give me some other cartridges options please Henry rifles with a 22 inch barrel 6.5 Creedmoor or a 7mm-08 in your clip -magazine lever rifle .
Originally Posted by Potsy
Fondled several Henrys at the RMEF show in Vegas. The more I handle the 16.5" Big Boy Steel (they had a .44 mag at the show), the more I like it.
16.5" Big Boy Steel Carbine weights 6.59lbs. Prolly is heavier than a short barreled '92.
In terms of a 16.5" .45 Colt though, it comes closer to what I want, than anything CURRENTLY produced at anywhere near that price point. At least as far as I can tell.

I would likely swap to a regular lever instead of the big loop and put on a Skinner peep on it.

The one I went with as a walking around rifle for targets of opportunity (like coyotes, and a deterrent for any 2 legged predators) and companion to the 44 handgun I usually carry. I like winchester 94s as I think they carry better and not as heavy as Marlins in equal calibers. I don't consider this Henry heavy, however I've yet to shoot it. Action is smooth, wood is nice, would prefer a loading gate but for what I'm using it for and the price it should do well. My first lever in a handgun caliber, and first Henry.
I don’t mind the tube feed and don’t mind the weight, what I do mind is the price is quite high for no loading gate. The new production Remlins seem to have most of the QC issues sorted. The Henry price point is just to high for what it is.
Went out yesterday to shoot our lever hog guns. The Henry .41 mag is just head and tails above the Winchester .44 mag we shot. The Winchester is a 1980's model and the Henry from 2 years ago.
The action and trigger are much better on the Henry, tight and no creep on the trigger.
Unloading, open the tube and pour them out, no need to work the action.
Really nice wood and the fit and finish is great.
The .41 mag was also more accurate with the hand loads.
For a $600 rifle, no issues what so ever.
The balance on the Henry Big Boy Steel was also much better than the Winchester.
I like the big loop and it is very easy to swap out.
Henry makes a quality product.

The overall conformation of the Henry isn’t like the originals he copied. The name Henry itself implies great American tradition but Anthony is no more American than a Volvo. His guns look like junk and how his wood to metal fit is implied to be better than original Winchesters and Marlins is disingenuous.

The title to this thread is about what you don’t like about a Henry, here area few...

The overall conformation of the Henry isn’t like the originals he copied. The name Henry itself implies great American tradition but Anthony is no more American than a Volvo. His guns look like junk and how his wood to metal fit is implied to be better than original Winchesters and Marlins is disingenuous.

The title to this thread is about what you don’t like about a Henry, here area few...
I don't think Henry was trying to "copy" any previous model of Winchester, Marlin or Savage lever action. That may be a good thing cuz original Winchester 66's and 73's as well as Savage 99's and Marlin 56's/ 57's are uglier than homemade soap. What makes you think Anthony Imperato isn't just as "American" as you or Oliver Winchester ?

I couldn't agree less. The fit and finish is great on my rifles and the action also preforms flawlessly. I own plenty of Winchester rifles and a Browning BLR.
What I don't like about a Henry , nothing.
You have to go back a lot of years to find a lever with the fit and finish of a Henry.

Don't get me wrong, I like all the levers, but Henry is Henry. It's in a class of it's own. I find it amazing all the wasted effort in trying to discredit it by comparing it to something different.

I don't expect a savage 110 to be a Remington 700 or a Winchester 70. You simply pick your preference and move on.

While all the arguments exist for the superiority of the savage 99, the Winchester, or the Marlin; the truth is, they don't exist any more. I plan to take advantage of the one American company that can make a quality lever rifle while I can, and not spend all my time trying to make them mimic a failed company.
Originally Posted by Frontiersman
You have to go back a lot of years to find a lever with the fit and finish of a Henry.

While all the arguments exist for the superiority of the savage 99, the Winchester, or the Marlin; the truth is, they don't exist any more. I plan to take advantage of the one American company that can make a quality lever rifle while I can, and not spend all my time trying to make them mimic a failed company.

Just a reminder of the title of the thread is “what don’t you like” about a Henry. To make a comparison without a comparison is impossible so I will make a comparison.

The idea that it is the best made lever action is not true. If you want to find characteristics that are preferable, that can be accomplished. Made in America is a quality that can be said about a Henry, but if you think it is better made than the current Winchester 1873, you are mistaken. The price point is close as well, so the value is about a personal liking of the Henry over the Winchester.

When someone states what they don’t like about the Henry and that is what the thread is about, why get upset? You can have your Henrys and I will have something else, it is just that simple...
what i don`t like about Henry rifles is they make the same boring cartridges that everyone else does,why not make some different lever rifle cartridges in your clip / magazine lever rifles like 7mm-08 ,6.5 creedmoor maybe a varmint cartridge lever rifle ? 22-250 and put a 22 inch barrel on rifle and a picatinny rail on the rifle too ? these kinds of rifles will sell and i am all for making a few bucks. maybe even a S.S. synthetic ? another big seller would be a over/ under 556/20 gauge 3 inch takedown S.S. Synthetic with picatinny rail and a floating takedown case.
Originally Posted by Frontiersman

Don't get me wrong, I like all the levers, but Henry is Henry. It's in a class of it's own. I find it amazing all the wasted effort in trying to discredit it by comparing it to something different.

I don't expect a savage 110 to be a Remington 700 or a Winchester 70. You simply pick your preference and move on.

I don't think people are discrediting it. there are lots of guns actually to compare a henry to, I prefer the 1894's over the big boy in pistol calibers. just because they are lighter and handier, plus I prefer a loading gate. comparing the full size 30-30 to a 336 marlin or comparable henry that is a tuffer call. I really like the henry, but then again it comes to how much you are hung up on the loading gate. if the loading gate doesn't matter the henry is awesome in 30-30 or I will call it full size. but then again there are millions of used 336's out there that can be had for $200 less on the used market than a new henry. So its all factors here just blankely saying henry sucks, is not what I am hearing. What I am hearing is people prefer different guns with different features in many cases. If you like the features on a henry rock on. I think they are a great company that seems focused on america and its unique greatness. I almost want to buy one for that fact alone. I am interested in a 22 lever gun. but there again I think henry uses mim receivers.
Originally Posted by Loggah
I don't own any henrys,there probably fine built in the U.S. firearms,but i like the older lever guns!! :

[Linked Image] savages

[Linked Image] winchesters

[Linked Image] marlins

Damn, what a collection! .....Congrats!......Hb

I’m not that knowledgeable in all thing lever-action but do have a circ-70’s Marlin in 44 mag that shoots well and handles like a battton — that’s the problem; every time I pick up a Henry to look it over, it feels like a railroad tie in comparison.
the loading
I didn't read all the posts on this thread, so please forgive.

I like the fact that Henry's are made here. When they first came out, they were inexpensive. I like inexpensive things if they are as good as expensive things. For instance, when I first saw a Henry, base .22 in Walmart, they were under $200. Pardon me if my timeline is off. This must've been back in the early 2000's, but I'm guessing. A few years later and they were up over $300 whereas at the time, you could still get a good, used Marlin 39 for around the same money if you had some patience and were willing to look around and maybe hit some shows. The Marlin had steel parts and the Henry had some plastic. About that time, I traded into one and was anxious to try it out and maybe hold it back for my boy who IIRC, was a bit young that time to be given one. Just shooting it for informal accuracy-it wasn't reliable. It would hang up every few shots. This probably could have been cured but I hate leaving guns at the gunsmith. Besides, it was used but not shot much and should've worked.

So bad initial experience plus IMO inferior parts equals me not wanting one. They are pretty guns, but my taste is traditional. One of their guns that interests me is their actual American-made HENRY model of 1860 which they brought out a few years back. It looks to be a faithful replica of the originals whose name they appropriated and his made here as opposed to Italy. The downside is price. Uberti makes a good replica for about half the cost of the Henry. A couple of hundred more, I could justify, but not double.

All Henry's now seem to be higher than they should be, so put that down as another downside.
Got my Henry a few weeks ago.
Bear in mind, it is a round barreled, steel frame model, 16.5" barrel.

Weightwise, it likely is a shade heavier than a Marlin or Winchester of like barrel length. The barrel is a touch heavier contour than on other .45 Colt leverguns, the buttstock is thicker, and the forend is deeper (Hawken type "perch belly"). Also, it has a pretty thick recoil pad (not a bad thing) that is likely heavier than the plastic found on current Marlins or Winchesters or the thin metal found on vintage models. While heavier, it's far from burdensome, and the weight, stock dimensions, and recoil pad will likely be appreciated when touching off "ruger only" loads.

It felt a bit rough and would hang up when closed slowly, so, I tore it apart (good video on their site), wiped everything down, soaked it down with Lucas Gun Oil, cycled it a couple hundred times, now she's slick as a ribbon. Bore was pretty filthy (wonder what crap they test fired it with), but a few trips with a .45 jag, patch, and Hoppe's #9, all was well.

So far, it feeds H&G 68's, Lee 230 TC's, 454424's, and RCBS 230 CM's just fine. The only thing that has given any trouble are my beloved 270SAA's (a design developed by Dave Scovill, so some of you can now double up on hate), one batch fed fine, the other didn't. OAL was a tick longer on the batch that didn't feed (I think I bothered to trim the other at some point, for some reason), so I'll likely file around .010"-.020" off the "fence" on the lifter/carrier thingy.

Fit and finish? New Marlin can't even get in the same area code. Handled two. One had terrible fit an finish, the other wouldn't work (went into detail in a previous post). Dunno about stuff from 20-120 years ago. Don't care. If the Marlins I looked at would've even looked like someone was trying, I'd have bought one. Didn't look at Winchesters as I couldn't find a short barreled .45 Colt on their website.

How's it shoot? I single fed a dozen 270SAA's over 9 grains of Universal (this was the lot that didn't want to feed). Off my hind feet and kneeling, it was well inside minute of paper plate at 50 yards. Will likely do a bit more "development" as well as add a peep sight. Recoil was nothing (see above). That's all I've had time for so far.

What don't I like about it?

-The trigger, while it does break clean, is pretty heavy (6-7lbs). Hoping it lightens up a bit with use. If not, I'll figure out some sort of alteration.

-I've never been wild about a buckhorn rear sight, no different this time, fact is, I hate it. I'll likely put a peep on it (was looking at Skinner, I think I like the Ranger Point Precision better though).

-I managed to ding the stock (which was gonna happen at some point). Wrapped it in a Carhartt and put it in the back seat of the truck with nearly nothing else back there and it still got dinged. Spun me into a new dimension of pissed off (mostly on account of knowing it was my fault, shoulda dug out a soft case). Totally not Henry's fault, but it still pissed me off. Just had to mention it.

More info will be forthcoming if work ever slows down and it ever stops raining............
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

I’m not that knowledgeable in all thing lever-action but do have a circ-70’s Marlin in 44 mag that shoots well and handles like a battton — that’s the problem; every time I pick up a Henry to look it over, it feels like a railroad tie in comparison.
Those are slick little guns-and wicked kickers.
they should just sell them at walmart in my opinion.i wouldnt own one in any caliber.great big heavy turds.
I had a few Henry H010 45/70's, The main thing i did not like about the rifles is that i found a few plastic parts internally when i tore them down for cleaning but fit and finish on the Henrys i had was excellent and they were very accurate. I know many dont like the way a Henry 45-70 loads but i am the opposite, I like it better than Marlins trap door loading system......Hb
I like my Henry's just fine. Like my Win Mod94 too. Don't have a Marlin CF, only a 39A. It seems fine. I'm not into the nostalgic thing, so appearance doesn't really bug me. What don't I like about Henry's? Nothing. It's just a lever action rifle thats fun to shoot. If someone doesn't like Henry's, don't buy 'em. Pretty simple really.
Looked at a Henry awhile back at a gunshow that was brass and beautiful! Weight was consistent with Winchester guns and it handled well. Action was smooth, bore was great. Yeah, it was used. Only problem would be finding ammo and taking out a loan. Guy wanted $125,000.00.
Could have been the same one I saw several years back, at the Tulsa Gunshow. Some of these guns have the "habit" of floating around various shows for years. It was only $80,000 back then. If it was the same gun...a bargain!
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Looked at a Henry awhile back at a gunshow that was brass and beautiful! Weight was consistent with Winchester guns and it handled well. Action was smooth, bore was great. Yeah, it was used. Only problem would be finding ammo and taking out a loan. Guy wanted $125,000.00.

I remember seeing an 1866 Winchester Yellow Boy at a Flea Market when I was a teen and it was $250. Now it was rough but man I wish I would've been able to jump on that.
I was hoping they did the Long Ranger in .35 rem.
But I snagged an old Rem 760 that shoots great.
So maybe they should do a .358 win wink
Hi Jim
I bought my Henery Big Boy wood stock last year and love it. I got mine in the 44 Magnum. The fit and finish is great and it shoots 1- 1/4 inch at 50 yards with my Speer 270 grain handloads using a Sig Sauer ROMEO 05 red dot sight. This rifle swings fast and I can get on target quickly for those close in shots. It cycles smooth as butter and I can tell you that it is a lot easier to unload then my Marlin. Oh, it doesn’t have the lawyer safety on it like my Marlin 336 JM has. Love my Marlin but love my new Henery as well.

30-30 Man
More and more I'm really impressed by the Henry's. All except for the weight. I was looking at maybe buying a Golden Boy 357 but it was so heavy I don't know if I can carry it all day.
Still have not shot my Big Boy steel 327 Carbine. But have been playing with it quite a bit.

Do not like that the screws in the top of the receiver are proud. And they are a bigger screw size than used for most scope bases.

Explanation, there are three holes on the receiver for mounting scope bases. The Skinner sight only uses the front and rear hole. But the 2'nd screw is proud and the sight will not sit on the receiver with it in place. I tried to fill the hole with a brass screw from another rifle, but the brass screw was too small diameter.

I hate the idea that there is an open hole in the receiver under the Skinner Sight.

I pulled the wood off of it today and gave it three applications of "Gun Coat" and put it back together. Very pleased with wood to metal fit, and very pleased with the trigger.

I also do not like the condition of the bore from the factory. I spent an hour with a bronze brush, patches, and Birchwood Casey gun scrubber trying to get the bore clean enough to give it a dose of UBC.
Perhaps the barrels are hammer forged, and have never been cleaned up after forming? IDK

Yes, I know, UBC is kind of a waste of time on a 327, especially with powder coated bullets. But I am doing it in hopes of enhanced weather protection when the grandkids take it out. It sure can't hurt anything.

I will be willing to bet though, the Henry will work better than my one Marlin, an 1894 FG in 41 mag. The Marlin took three trips to the gunsmith and most of a year to cure it of jamming (double feed).
I got a chance to weight the20" Marlin 39M and the Henry .22lr today.
The Marlin has a Williams receiver sight and a nylon sling but....

The Henry weighs 4.2lb and the Marlin weighs 6.05lb.

I would like to see a .357 Magnum steel frame Henry and a Marlin weighed to see the actual figures.
With Henry now starting to offer loading gates on some of their rifles, their market share of the lever business is only going to get larger. CP.

The following was in an email from Henry this AM:

“In the past, we have always taken inspiration from the original 1860s-era Henry rifle by opting to design our firearms with a removable tube magazine. We’re no sticks in the mud though, and when loyal Henry customers ask, loyal Henry customers receive. Our Side Gate Lever Action offers up the best of both worlds with our standard removable tube magazine for safe and easy unloading and a side loading gate to keep the magazine topped off.”

Yep. And in a couple of cartridge offerings not often found. Good for Henry to listen to they're customers. Not good for Marlin sales. And Marlin does't listen and learn.
when they make that side loader in casehardened and octagon in 44 mag or 45 colt, i'll prob pick one up. My request is make the 44 with a 1:20 twist like my ruger 77/44
the side loading gate is what kept me from buying a henry. I also think having the tube load AND loading gate option is the shiznizzle.
Checked out their website and see they offer it in.38-55. That would be cool! Their Long Ranger in 6.5 CM is interesting also.
Neat gun, Henry seems to be going places. Never really paid attention to the 38/55 but that rifle is moose worthy with the Buffalo Bore 255 gr load. Bet it is a lot nicer to shoot compared to a 444 or 45/70.
Idaho Shooter, if you're still looking for a proper base/ring set-up for a henry, the Henry Pride store has the Talley integeral base/rings deal. Put one on my Henry.357. Looks good, pretty low and only $49! Solid mount.
Every time I check out Henry I'm disappointed. Plastic sights, tube load, paint-on and cheesy plated finishes, pot metal, lousy wood to metal fit, and one store I frequent even received one missing the lever.

If people buy them and like them, great. I'll be staying away.
Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
Every time I check out Henry I'm disappointed. Plastic sights, tube load, paint-on and cheesy plated finishes, pot metal, lousy wood to metal fit, and one store I frequent even received one missing the lever.

If people buy them and like them, great. I'll be staying away.

You were probably looking at the rimfires. I can't say for sure, as I don't own one. But, I own two Henry centerfires,.357 and .45 Colt, and they're nothing like you describe.
We just won a 22 mag at the local NRA banquet, it also is nothing like he describes. Quality fit and finish, no plastic.
Buckhorn sights
I have no problem with the tube loading.
My brass BB .45 is a good shooter. Use it for Cowboy Action. Quality is outstanding
I like my BL-92 .44mag more. Nothing beats Browning for wood. Rifle is lighter and faster, but that loading gate gets to be a PITA on a long day.

I would love to see Henry or Marlin or ANYBODY chamber a rifle in .460S&W, to be able to shoot .454 Casull and .45 Colt. Like a .357mag and .38Spc. Almost equal to a .45-70 and a good reduced load, too.
© 24hourcampfire