Home
Howdy there folks,

As per the title, I've been offered trading my savage 99 for the Marlin 1906 Model 94 in 44-40, and i was just wondering if it was worth it?

I've attached pics of both the savage and the marlin

tell me what you think?

Thanks very much.

Savage99:https://imgur.com/a/tXNGF6d

Malin:https://imgur.com/a/YZyCId4
Not to me it wouldn't be. Mainly because I've no use or desire for a .44-40. YMMV.
no
Cool 99, don't see many with a "climbin' Lyman". Unless you really wanted a 94, I wouldn't trade given the condition of the 94.
As much as I'd like a .44-40, that one doesn't look so great. The pic is also incomplete.

I think the savage would be harder to replace.
No, but hell no.
Originally Posted by viking
No, but hell no.

This all day!
first, I would make sure the bore condition on the 44-40 was in good shape. If the Marlin saw a lot of black powder use the barrel could be severely eroded. The Savage even though the receiver was tapped for the articulating Lyman site would still in my estimation hold a higher value.
No, I would not own any firearm chambered for 44-40 cartridge.

Sherwood
Looks like the dog barfed up his grits on the deck in the Marlin pictures

There's yer sign.

Mike
You don't mention what your 99 is chambered for. From a condition perspective, the 99 certainly appears in better condition but function and bore condition are not apparent. I own a later model Marlin 1894 in 44-40. I also own a Marlin 1894 DOM 1904 in 38-40. The 38-40's finish has been worn to silver but the wood is good, the action is tight, the bore is excellent and the rifle is very accurate. It looks a lot like the one in your pics. I would not trade it for a 99 in a common configuration and I own a dozen 99s including 99s in 22 HP, 25-35, 250-3000, 303 Savage, 30-30, 243 Winchester, 308 Winchester, 300 Savage and 358 Winchester.

As for the 44-40, I own a Marlin 1894 and three Smith & Wesson revolvers in that chambering. I can't imagine why one would not want to own one. Neither the 38-40 nor the 44-40 are difficult to reload with a little practice and the right dies.

T.S.

It's a 99G in 300 Savage. Like the climbin' Lyman, looks like a bit of nice figure in the buttstock?
© 24hourcampfire