Home
Posted By: SargeMO 94 'Antique' 30-30 Carbine - 01/29/19
I fell in love with the Winchester Model 94 'Antique' Carbine at age 10, thanks to a Winchester ad. This one was made that same year. It has been shot very little but had acquired a bit of light rust, which was easily removed with a few passes of oiled 0000 steel wool. The sight hood was still in place. Just a touch of the case colors remain though the photo didn't capture them well. The trigger is excellent. In 1966 you could still buy a lever action with a crisp 3# pull, no external safeties and no idiot warnings inscribed on the barrel. For all the fuss about post 64s being 'inferior' this is one of the smoothest 94s I've cycled. I've watched 94 Winchester prices climb steadily and spike recently, with plain post 64s selling well over 500 bucks. Figured I better grab this one at just over $400.

[Linked Image]

This 94 feeds & ejects perfectly and is kind to brass. It don't shoot half bad either. I spent seven rounds of Federal 150 soft point getting it rough zeroed and these three standing unsupported from 100 yards in a pretty brisk breeze. Won't get me to the Palma Matches but I'm OK with it in the first 10 rounds.

[Linked Image]
Nice!!!
I like that one.
We bought one of those used, for old son (Postoak Cowboy here) when he was like 10 or 11 for Christmas. I dunno how many deer and hogs he’s taken with that rifle. Several pick up loads I know for sure!!!

ya did good !
Nice looking rifle. Doesn't appear all that old (relatively speaking). Sounds like you are saying it's a post 64 gun. In really good shape for something anywhere close to that old. Congratulations.
Posted By: IMR4350 Re: 94 'Antique' 30-30 Carbine - 02/01/19
Nice rifle Sarge. When I was growing up in N.Y I remember those same rifles going on sale for 175 bucks every year at a large local gun shop.
The M-94 i currently have was made in 1975 and is both very reliable and accurate.
Posted By: pod Re: 94 'Antique' 30-30 Carbine - 02/01/19
Have a 1913 born SRC without an inch of blue on the gun action as slick as a bean and just as accurate carry it in the truck around the farm. I wouldn't trade it for anything.
That is a great looking 94.
Congrats.
Nice shooter, and you deserve a "nice shooting" on that target!

I think the post-64's are a sweet bargain when you can find one like this one that isn't plagued with additional safeties, and an epistle imprinted on the barrel to keep the lawyers happy!

Happy Shooting.

:-)
© 24hourcampfire