Home
I want something theme fitting and an aesthetic compliment to the rifle. Can’t figure out what I want. Need decent eye relief and quick sight picture acquisition. Suggestions?
I'd go with a Leopold vari 111 1.5x5 personally, but there are a lot of good choices.
I put a VX-II 2-7x33 on a 99, and was happy with the result. It works well with that rifle, no odd looks or function.
Straight-tubed 3x wouldn't be out o' place.

FC
Originally Posted by Youper
I put a VX-II 2-7x33 on a 99, and was happy with the result. It works well with that rifle, no odd looks or function.

VX-2, 2-7x33 with Post and Duplex, that I picked up here on the fire sits on my 99 in .375 Win.
Originally Posted by markak338fed
I'd go with a Leopold vari 111 1.5x5 personally, but there are a lot of good choices.

I have two or three of these I want to unload.
2-7x33 Leupold shotgun scope with the heavy duplex reticle.
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
2-7x33 Leupold shotgun scope with the heavy duplex reticle.

That's what all my Marlins have on them.
Originally Posted by EdM

I have two or three of these I want to unload.

If they are minty, I may be interested. Please pm me with pics.

This is what I have on my 99 - 358 and it works and looks good. ^^^^^^^
Originally Posted by SDHNTR
I want something theme fitting and an aesthetic compliment to the rifle. Can’t figure out what I want. Need decent eye relief and quick sight picture acquisition. Suggestions?

Burris Fastfire III on my .358 16" carbine. Very fast and very light.

[Linked Image]
I have 1x3, 1x4 scopes on my 99's. I wouldn't say no to a 2x7 but I think the shorter scopes look and balance better. Most of the time these scopes never leave 2 power when hunting.
my new to me Savage 99 284 win i put a 2 1/2x8 Leupold on my rifle this fall 2018 seems to work just fine for me.

+1

That's what popped into my mind or a 4X.
The problem with the 1.5X5X20 is that its weak on low light performance. i think you'd be better off with a straight 4 or 6X
My solution for early morning low light scope: stay in bed a half hour longer and you won't need one. Low light in the evening? By then I'm heading for the barn and a libation. By following those protocols I can make full use of an aperture rear sight and keep my svelte/handy Savage lever gun unfettered by big honking optics.

A little tongue in cheek there, but it really does mirror my approach anymore. It kind of bugs me when I hear shots rattling around the mountain before and after legal shooting time. Are people that desperate, are they that consumed by the need to kill something, that they push the limits of safety and efficiency? Yep.
Here in the south, if the animals are pressured, dawn/dusk are about the only time you'll get a shot..
Not living in the middle of a forest, I'd go with a Leupold 2-7x33 myself. A 358 isn't just a short range woods gun, it can reach out and touch somebody.
I have used a low powered variable and a 2.5X Leupold. Both worked well for me. Didn't WWII snipers use 2.5 X? My 358 Savage is a joy and I worked up some 148 gr WCs for small game that were interesting until I worked out the bugs for myself. Be Well. Rusty
Leupold reproduction of the Lyman Alaskan 6x
My ‘66 DL in 308 came with a same date Leupold M8 4x on it. Inexperienced with fixed powers I was a little skeptical at first and posted the question here and elsewhere if I should swap out for a different optic. Overwhelming response was NO. I have since come to appreciate this mating of rifle and scope very much. You can find these old leupolds on-line, in mint condition, for under 200. Has all the attributes you’re looking for I think. Seems appropriate for the caliber, or you could do the same scope in a 6x.
My 1950s 99F in .300 Savage wears a Leupold VX-III in 1.5-5x. It usually sits at 3x when I'm on my deer stand. Killed a very nice 170 pound 10 point with one shot from that rifle a few years ago in upstate Pennsylvania. 99s are the best.
If yours is an older 99, why not fit her with a vintage Lyman Alaskan or a Lyman All American? They may not be as bright as the new ones on the market but, they get the job done with a touch of nostalgic class.

T.S.
I'm with Harry, On my 308 I have a leupold straight 4 power which one Granddaughter harvested her first Buck with 3 years ago. Last weekend her sister got her first wild boar with it. Great combo.
When I had mine I had a 2.5 Weaver with a post...
Have an extra 1 X 4 Redfield with a tapered duplex . Been a great scope that has held zero on several rifles. Perfect for a vintage rifle.
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Originally Posted by SDHNTR

Burris Fastfire III on my .358 16" carbine. Very fast and very light.

[Linked Image]

Yup. That's the ticket! I have two 99s like that, and they are the cat's meow if you have old eyes and enjoy hunting but don't want a scope on top.
I like a fixed 6x with a heavy duplex.

Phil
I have a 3.5x10 Leupold on mine. The rifle shoots well with it.

[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire