Home
I've used the Williams Firesight aperture sight combo for 15 years. Works good but the front sight was always fragile. In the last 2 years I've been enjoying an AR15 sporting a Holosun HS503GU. I'm pondering a red dot solution for my Marlin 1895 and I was wondering if anyone was running an RDS on their levergun - tips/tricks/thoughts.
I broke one with 4570 marlin loads. they are fast on the target the ones I have are 50.00 bushnells from cablas that are 12 to 15 years old
Millet on a 336.............
I run a Bushnell TRS25 on my Marlin 336 .30-30. I have a Williams aperture in place and the RDS on a short piece of pic rail. It is a fast sight to use. Precision is fine at 100 yards, but falls off fairly rapidly after that. In the correct conditions I could make a 150 yard shot on a deer or pig, but prob not beyond that. The red dot does wash some in bright light.
It'll look about as goofy as a monkey fuggin a football.
Originally Posted by Blackheart

Goofy is as goofy does. Within its limitations, a RD is a great sight on a lever rifle. It is faster to use than open or peep sights and way less intrusive than a conventional scope.
Originally Posted by ExpatFromOK

Goofy is as goofy does. Within its limitations, a RD is a great sight on a lever rifle. It is faster to use than open or peep sights and way less intrusive than a conventional scope.
I've got red dots. I can throw a can in the air and hit it 9 out of 10 times with my receiver sighted .22 and have shot many rabbits on the run with it. How much faster do I need to be ?
Doug Turnbull makes a nice red dot mount for levers. I just got one. It is set up for the Dr. optic red dot or Burris Fastfire III. $50 range.
It is designed to slide in the rear sight slot. It will make sight acquisition and speed that much better.
My son put a Burris FF on his 45-70 and loves it.
Do you try to keep the mounting height as low as possible? I ask because the picatiny rail system seems to put the sight quite high.

My 1895 (straight stock) might benefit from a higher sight.
I have a BLR takedown .450 . It has the forward rail on it .I switch between a scout scope and Red dot style sight. The are on quick release rings. Seems to work ok.
I have XS ghost rings, and their scout rail on my Marlins (1895SS, 1894C, and 1894), and Tasco red dots. Handy as hell.
There is a reflex mount available for 94’s that I’d like to try. Slides right into the rear sight dove tail. No extra holes.

A Burris FF on a 94 30-30 sounds fun.
Originally Posted by ExpatFromOK

I've got red dots. I can throw a can in the air and hit it 9 out of 10 times with my receiver sighted .22 and have shot many rabbits on the run with it. How much faster do I need to be ?

Good for you
I have a FF3 on a Marlin 94, it replaced a Williams peep as my eyes age. I have tried scopes on the 94, but I couldn't get a scope low enough to really work with the stock. Should have done the FF3 years ago
Fast Fire 3 on a 358. Haven't fired it yet.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
FF3 on my Browning M71.

[Linked Image]
I have the aimpoint micro on my 444. Fastest sight made imo
XS Ghost, a Weaver S466 steel in the front holes for FF3
The S466 with a Holosun 508T works better
My son has a Fastfire 3 on his 44m
[Linked Image]

Holsun 503 on his 20g:
[Linked Image]
Heck yeah !
Fireball 2 What is the barrel length on that 358? TIA. Rusty
I am about to do this. I bought a Trijicon MRO a few weeks back to put on my AR-15. It was my first time trying a red dot. I like it so much that I took the scope of my Browning BLR Takedown last night and mounted a picatinny rail. I am going to buy another MRO this week and put it on my BLR.
Originally Posted by Rustyzipper
Fireball 2 What is the barrel length on that 358? TIA. Rusty

16" Rusty
Here’s my BLR Takedown:

[Linked Image]
Awesome
I haven't gotten a chance to shoot with the red dot yet but it feels great on there. The field of view and target acquisition are awesome. As long as I can shoot accurately with it, I am going to keep it on there. It looks unconventional but that's okay.
© 24hourcampfire