Home
Posted By: Rustyzipper A Browning BLR 81 .308 ? - 06/25/19
What do you guys think about this in .308? Used with some stock marks in the thick finish, metal good. What is it worth? The glassy looking finish would disappear no matter what. Thinking about a JES rebore to 358 Winchester. I will now have three guns to be rebored. All to .358 Winchester! What would a good price be with the damaged finish? Thanks and God Bless. Rusty
Posted By: reivertom Re: A Browning BLR 81 .308 ? - 06/26/19
A buddy of mine has that very rifle and it is a great gun just the way it is. It is a lever gun that is nearly as accurate (for hunting) as a bolt gun. It will shoot a cloverleaf at 100 yards if you let the barrel cool down. I have always wanted one since I shot his, but I never found one I could afford, so I just stuck with my bolt guns, Savage 99 and Marlin lever guns. He sights his in to a dead cold barrel just like a first shot at a deer would be and shoots Federal blue box 150 grain loads.. To tell the truth I have had bolt actions that aren't as accurate as his BLR. If the barrel is in good shape give it a cleaning and take it to the range and shoot it first....you might fall in love!. That is a sweet combo....the only better one night be the same rifle in a 7mm-08.
Posted By: Turkeyrun Re: A Browning BLR 81 .308 ? - 06/26/19
See them come up on ARMSLIST, occassionally. $800-$1000.

I have been jonesing one. Would love to get a .243 and rebore to .260.
A .308 or .30-06, I would leave as is.
I won't have $800 in it after the rebore. I might go crazy and have it converted to a takedown. God Bless. Rusty
Posted By: g5m Re: A Browning BLR 81 .308 ? - 07/01/19
Good rifle. You might pick up an extra mag or two. Sounds like you got that at a bargain. The stock can be refinished. I would suggest not messing with the action at all unless you know what you are doing. The timing is complicated I have been told.
Posted By: Borchardt Re: A Browning BLR 81 .308 ? - 07/01/19
Originally Posted by g5m
Good rifle. You might pick up an extra mag or two. Sounds like you got that at a bargain. The stock can be refinished. I would suggest not messing with the action at all unless you know what you are doing. The timing is complicated I have been told.

Ditto on the second mag. I have nightmares about accidental loss turning my .284W BLR into an awkward single shot, and .284 mags are hard to come by.
Posted By: funnybone Re: A Browning BLR 81 .308 ? - 07/02/19
Originally Posted by Borchardt
Originally Posted by g5m

Ditto on the second mag. I have nightmares about accidental loss turning my .284W BLR into an awkward single shot, and .284 mags are hard to come by.

As the 284 W and the 308 round are the same length would a .308 mag or other mags for the BLR based on the rounds based on the 308 cartridge work for you?
Posted By: pete53 Re: A Browning BLR 81 .308 ? - 07/02/19
just buy a new BLR rifle it will cost you about the same as mess`in that rifle up. i just purchased a new BLR S.S. 30-06 takedown for less than $1200.00 . they only BLR Browning I wish Browning would build is a BLR S.S. 338 Win. mag. now that would be one heck of a bear rifle !
Posted By: Borchardt Re: A Browning BLR 81 .308 ? - 07/03/19
Originally Posted by Mynameis
Originally Posted by g5m

As the 284 W and the 308 round are the same length would a .308 mag or other mags for the BLR based on the rounds based on the 308 cartridge work for you?

I am going to try one, but the .284 is fatter than .308, it is not based on the .308 case.
Posted By: funnybone Re: A Browning BLR 81 .308 ? - 07/04/19
Originally Posted by Mynameis
Originally Posted by g5m

I am going to try one, but the .284 is fatter than .308, it is not based on the .308 case.

I did a little research and this is what I found. Hope this helps you.
I suspect that the follower will have to be changed as the case has a larger diameter .

https://www.gunclips.net/brblr81308gu.html

https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/b3475161
Posted By: addicted Re: A Browning BLR 81 .308 ? - 07/11/19
Fantastic rifle... I have two and both shoot well.
I have the older non-'81 version. Don't know if they use the same magazines, but I believe all of mine say. 243, .308 and. 358 on them.
I have a 358 Win on the way as well as the 308 in the safe. I just happened onto it searching for a Savage 99 358 that was already sold as it turned out. Once in a blue moon a blind hog finds an acorn. Just like about ten years ago I found a Lone Eagle hunting pistol in 358 Winchester. It just happened. Is there anyone who converts the BLR into a takedown? I know I could buy one but I have the guns in the calibers I want but not takedowns. TIA Be Well. Rusty
Posted By: pete53 Re: A Browning BLR 81 .308 ? - 07/27/19
probably cheaper just to buy a new BLR in a takedown ? i just purchased a BLR take-down in a S.S. 30-06 shoots very good too ! it took me a year and half to get this takedown,Pete53
I had a BLR in 30-06 and another in .358. Sold them both as my eyes are old and I need glass on everything now. But, they were darn nice rifles.
They both look like great guns. Both in the safe right now. 358 didn't need as much cleaning as the 308. I am pleased with both. Be well. Rusty
Posted By: MOGC Re: A Browning BLR 81 .308 ? - 08/01/19
Originally Posted by Gun_Geezer
I had a BLR in 30-06 and another in .358. Sold them both as my eyes are old and I need glass on everything now. But, they were darn nice rifles.

You can put glass as easily on a BLR as any other rifle, correct?
I am, but with a Ruger peep sight milled into the back of the scope base with QD rings. Have to get another EGW base for the 358 BLR. Have one on the .308 already. Just need to get the peeps milled in. There is that little detail about the J-head needing the four basic parts being put back together so I can use the mill. It is just time.... Be well. Rusty
Posted By: Cascade Re: A Browning BLR 81 .308 ? - 08/02/19
Originally Posted by MOGC
Originally Posted by Gun_Geezer

You can put glass as easily on a BLR as any other rifle, correct?

Yes. No problem at all.
Posted By: Sako76 Re: A Browning BLR 81 .308 ? - 08/08/19
Browning makes a BLR take down, the one I was looking at was a laminate stock one. They weren't cheap!
I have had a pile of these rifles both fixed barrel models and takedown models and they have all been fantastic rifles. I sold a BLR .308 Win a while back that I regret letting go, I think i will be replacing it very soon 😁.....Good hunting ....Hb
Posted By: pete53 Re: A Browning BLR 81 .308 ? - 08/26/19
i started target shooting BLR`s about 4 years ago and probably should have got one 40 years ago ,BLR`s to me were a real surprise in accuracy . i now own 4 of them ,these BLR`s shoot wonderful and are just a very neat lever .
Posted By: MT_Mike Re: A Browning BLR 81 .308 ? - 08/28/19
Originally Posted by Rustyzipper
I am, but with a Ruger peep sight milled into the back of the scope base with QD rings. Have to get another EGW base for the 358 BLR. Have one on the .308 already. Just need to get the peeps milled in. There is that little detail about the J-head needing the four basic parts being put back together so I can use the mill. It is just time.... Be well. Rusty

Can you post a picture of this setup? I'd love to have a scope mount with a peep sight built in for my 1978 BLR .358.
Thanks, Mike
Don't have the photo, but if you go to scoutrifle.org, look at the subforum by CousinBongo. He uses that setup on some of his rifles. The flip up peep itself is about $15 at Brownell's. It is the mini-14 rear sight assembly. Someone handy with a mill could do the job for you. Be Well. Rusty
Posted By: MT_Mike Re: A Browning BLR 81 .308 ? - 09/28/19
Don't have the photo, but if you go to scoutrifle.org, look at the subforum by CousinBongo. He uses that setup on some of his rifles. The flip up peep itself is about $15 at Brownell's. It is the mini-14 rear sight assembly. Someone handy with a mill could do the job for you. Be Well. Rusty

Thanks! I will hunt that thread up.
Mike
I went to Scoutrifle.org after saying that and found some photos. Then it renewed my interest in Scout rifles if that is possible. The fire hasn't gone out since I believe 1966 when the Jeff Cooper article first came out. Just gets stoked from time to time. I have mine...…. the Steyr Scout Rifle. But my quest for variations hasn't let up. The Ghost Ring in the back of a scope base is a standard. I use rifles with a ghost ring every now and then. Just to see if I can still shoot 200 yards or better. My eyes aren't what they used to be but the ghost ring helps, as far as iron sights go. Shoot lots and Be Well, Rusty.
I'm a lefty and was raised on my Dad's mod 94 and Marlin 336. I own Winchester, Marlin, Savage and Henry lever guns. I have coveted a Browning BLR for some time and finally found one at a gun show a couple weeks ago in .308. It looked like new but the guy said his grandson hunted with it but wanted to change to a bolt action. He was asking $650.00 but ended up taking $600. He didn't have an extra clip but said I could get one for $50....I ordered on line and with shipping paid $72.00

I had an old Redfield 2 3/4 power with a post reticle and put it on and bore sighted the gun. At the range I was amazed that my first two shots from 50yds were low right in the 3" bull. I tried 3 different ammo brands and ALL of them grouped tight in the bull.

I can hardly wait until deer season my only worry is my other levers will end up gathering dust .
Posted By: pete53 Re: A Browning BLR 81 .308 ? - 10/12/19
in my son`s hands his 308 BLR off the bench his rifle shoots groups at 100 yards 1/2 inch 5 shot groups very easy. my BLR in a 300 Win.mag shoots 3/4 - 1 inch groups at a 100 yards but the recoil on this rifle is nasty too. i also have a takedown BLR 30-06 with factory ammo shoots 1 - 1 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards ,i am sure with developed hand loads it would probably be under a 1 inch groups too.the BLR takedown in 30-06 is my favorite too,all my BLR`S are S.S. rifles ,leupold scope too.
What do you guys think about this in .308? Used with some stock marks in the thick finish, metal good. What is it worth? The glassy looking finish would disappear no matter what. Thinking about a JES rebore to 358 Winchester. I will now have three guns to be rebored. All to .358 Winchester! What would a good price be with the damaged finish? Thanks and God Bless. Rusty

Have had two bolt actions rebored by JES, one in 358 Win and the other in 35 Whelen both were good shooters BUT I also have had 2 BLR factory 358 Winchester (a 81 and pre 81) and would shop around for a factory BLR 358.
I have a rebore BLR in 358 now. It looks good to me. I have studied the bore from the muzzle. It looks good from there. I ordered a bore scope so I will have fun looking at the 358 rebore. I also have a rebore in 358 in a 7600, from 243. I will shoot them both as soon as I get off my duff. I have some volunteer stuff to do at the local Missouri V. A. Home on Wednesday AM then will be free. I have some LC brass loaded with Remington SPCLs and some Winchester factory loads. Should shoot quite similar. I think I have some targets but will use a large slab of cardboard to shoot up close. Then go to 100 to check. Will see if my current mounts and scopes can cut the mustard. I have a 350 R.M. to check. A 673 needs to be limbered up. Good luck with the fall hunting season. Be Well, RZ.
Posted By: viking Re: A Browning BLR 81 .308 ? - 10/16/19
I wish they would make them in 257 Roberts again. The 35 Whelen would’ve been nice too.
I just missed one in the Bob. Someone said I'll take it. I had a 35 Whelen at one time. Goofy me, I sold it for a pretty penny. I don't think I'll ever sell either of the BLRs or 7600s. Kid and grands can arm wrestle over them all. A guy found me here that wanted my stock set from the 358 and I wanted his synthetic set for the 7600. So we worked out the deal and both are happy. Will put up a photo after I camo it. If the grandson will help the old man. Thanks for all the comments and Be Well, RZ.
© 24hourcampfire