Home
Posted By: TomM1 XS sights - 07/12/19
Cross posting this from the hunting rifles forum...

Looking at putting a set of XS ghost ring sights on a Marlin 336 35 Rem. They look durable, compact and really like the white line front sight. Only question I have is does the rear sight stay put once both screws are tightened down? It seems like it would still want to twist when trudging through the brush/laurel.
Posted By: BillyGoatGruff Re: XS sights - 07/12/19
I've dropped mine on concrete with no ill effects. I know what you mean looking at it, but in my experience they stay the hell put.
Posted By: TomM1 Re: XS sights - 07/12/19
Good deal, exactly what I was hoping to hear. Two sets screws opposing something round that is threaded seems like it would move, probably just overthinking.
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: XS sights - 07/12/19
I have two of them, one on a .270 bolt action and the other on a .30-06 Ruger #1. The aperture definitely stays put. The thing I've found that may loosen a screw in aperture like that is the back and forth vibration of a semi-auto, but working the bolt of a lever and the recoil of a .35 isn't going to loosen it.

Couple of things to mention. Those windage set screws are pretty small so be sure to use a good fitting screwdriver and don't try to tighten them down farmer tight. Snug is all you need. More than that and a) you risk stripping that small slot in the screw and b) if you really really crank down there is some chance of dinging the aperture shank threads and that makes it very hard to turn up and down. I did that on an NECG ghost ring sight once and learned that lesson.
Posted By: 700xcr Re: XS sights - 07/12/19
My XS Ghost Ring Sights has been on my Marlin 1894C 357mag for 20yrs and hasn't moved or lost POA. It has been my urban rifle and rode around in the pickup on the ranch. Very dependable and front sight is highly visible with the white line on front sight. I have been shooting Ghost Ring Sight at 50yds (6" steel gong) ,100yds 8"(steel gong) and 200yds.(10 " steel gongs)
Thanks guys. Does anyone use blue locktite on the opposing lock screws?
Posted By: RyanTX Re: XS sights - 07/12/19
I've had them on a 336 for about 15 years with no issues. Love them and wound up putting some on a couple of 10/22's as well. I don't use any blue loc-tite on mine, just snug on each side.
Good deal, Thx
Posted By: JBhunter45 Re: XS sights - 07/16/19
The peep has flats that engage with the set screws.
Posted By: johnw Re: XS sights - 07/18/19
Originally Posted by TomM1
Thanks guys. Does anyone use blue locktite on the opposing lock screws?

They come from the factory with Purple Loc-tite.
Posted By: 1Akshooter Re: XS sights - 07/19/19
I am ordering XS front and rear sights for my Mod. 94 Big Bore .356 Win. tomorrow. They make good stuff.
Posted By: T_O_M Re: XS sights - 07/19/19
I'll be the contrarian ... surprised? I bet not. smile

I didn't like the setup on the Marlin 1894CSBL I had for a short while. The white line up the front blade doesn't work for my eyes, the front sight disappears under some light conditions. A plain black post is more visible and more precise ... for me. I'm not a fan of their ghost ring, either.

YMMV, of course. Everyone's eyes are a little different. For me ... I wouldn't do it again. (I came to the same conclusion after putting a Skinner peep on a High Wall for a while.)

Tom
Posted By: mogwai Re: XS sights - 07/20/19
Originally Posted by T_O_M
I'll be the contrarian ... surprised? I bet not. smile

I didn't like the setup on the Marlin 1894CSBL I had for a short while. The white line up the front blade doesn't work for my eyes, the front sight disappears under some light conditions. A plain black post is more visible and more precise ... for me. I'm not a fan of their ghost ring, either.

YMMV, of course. Everyone's eyes are a little different. For me ... I wouldn't do it again. (I came to the same conclusion after putting a Skinner peep on a High Wall for a while.)

Tom

What do you prefer, Tom?
© 24hourcampfire