Home
the last year the lever action bug has bitten me. I first bought a marlin 1894 in 357 and just loved the thing. Then I thought lets try a 336, so I picked up a really nice 1980 336 in 30-30. its a very solid gun with a great trigger. but it wasn't near as handy as the marlin 1894. for the last several months I have been wanting a winchester 94. YES I know they are the most common deer rifle ever made. but living in utah where the dang thing was invented they aren't very easy to find. So I picked up a 1954, winchester 94 in 30-30 off gunbroker. It weighs 2 oz more than my marlin 1894c. The fact of the matter its just quite a bit handier than the 336, its at least a half pound lighter. The action seems to lever in those long 30-30 cases with less clunkiness than the 336 does. Don't get me wrong the 336 is beefier, more solid feeling. The 94 is looser fitting and less solid feeling.

to me the secret sauce of a lever gun is how handy they are. how fast can they swing on target. how fast can you lever in a new cartridge. the winchester 94, handles more like my marlin 1894, but shoots a much more potent 30-30 case. I have no intentions to ever hunt deer with any of these lever guns. To me they are funnest just going on a walk through the sage brush hunting jackrabbits and just plinking at stuff. I call the model 94 in 30-30 the high power option when it comes to jackrabbit hunting. I am so glad I bought a pre 64, model 94. the gun just has a soul to it. its got patina, the wood aint perfect, the bluing on the corners is worn a bit. all I gotta say is everyone needs at least one model 94 winchester.
+1
Nobodies perfect.
Clamp it to the post in the park and let's get a picture of it.
I feel the same way about my 94. All the same, it's a funny machine. Browning obviously dropped some acid before he did the Model 1887 shotgun and was trippin' on making it's guts come out when you cocked it. The 94 got a bit of that, and the 95, well, you see what happens to the trigger when you pull that lever down? And then in the 94 there is the carrier. Do it with linkage? Changing fulcrum compound linkage? No, no, no. Far too pedestrian, far too direct. I will put a spring in the secret place, just strong enough. Can you see? Can you see what I can do? No, I make a mystery for you.
Santa gave my kid a 336. I love them both.
I’d say it is a sign of good taste.
I currently have two 94's and a 336. I too like the 94 better for it's sleek good looks, light weight and slim, sweet carryability. I killed alot of deer and assorted varmints with my 94's, especially when I was younger and my eyes were sharper. That said, it's darn hard not to love my 336 too and I truly do. No, It's not as light and sleek as the 94 but it still carries nice, wears a scope well and is more accurate than any of the half dozen 94's I've owned. In fact, it's as accurate as most of my bolt actions and more accurate than some. Both are great deer rifles and carry better in the hand than any fat bolt action ever will.
Yes
If you like straight grip stocks, a slimmer overall package, and shoot iron sights, the Winchester 94 is a good choice.

If you like pistol-grip stocks, don't mind a little meat on the bones, and shoot optical sights, the Marlin 336 is a good choice.

I like the Winchester 64 and the old Marlin 336A better than the 20" full length magazine tube carbines.

I think that the Sako Finnwolf is the best factory specs lever action rifle ever made in 243 and 308, if those two cartridges fit/fill your wants and needs.
Nope. I sure like the 94 more too.

here's a 1965 336 in 35 Rem......a bud's from AZ

Cleaned 'er up & scoped it for him..good solid rifle

But for me....the '94 is just a lot more handy.....

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

'94 on a stump

1894’s don’t count tikka. My 94 30-30 is only 2 oz heavy than my 1894c. Its never going to be as handy as the 1894c it’s way closer than a 336 is to it. And it shoots the way more potent 30-30

my badd.......

'94 Win........

Marlins easily to clean & maintain
Originally Posted by tikkanut

my badd.......

'94 Win........

Marlins easily to clean & maintain
. Nuthin quit like a walk in the high desert sage with an 1894 or model 94 is there? Hopefully I can find some jack rabbits this year to pop
the 94 is a lot handier but it feels like you're ripping the guts out of it cycling the action. but if i was looking for a strictly open sited lever gun i'd probably pick an older 94. i have a couple and like them but i need/want a scope and the 336 is the ticket for that. the 336 seems heavier and chunkier though. i have a 94 timber carbine in 450 marlin and it amazes me that it can take the beating. the gun weighs about 6 pounds and could be one-handed. a comparable 1895 feels like a 2x4 in comparison.
The only reason for me to get another Marlin 336 again is the 35 Remington.
I love them both but like said above, nothing is handier and more ergonomic than an old Winchester 1894. Like carrying a big boy’s Red Ryder.
Originally Posted by moosemike
The only reason for me to get another Marlin 336 again is the 35 Remington.

shop for an early 70's........or older....

my '71 35 Rem.......gold ole solid Marlin

Had a 94 Ranger years ago, prefer it to the 336 till it comes time to pull the trigger, thereafter it's the 336 all the way. Mine had a terrible trigger and accuracy was barely adequate if that. My 1979 336 has a way smoother action and has a trigger to rival many bolt guns. It's been bored out to 38-55 by JES and is accurate beyond my abilities from field positions.
Preference the 94. Have owned several of both models.
I think everyone should own both. Both guns really have their strong points. I guess for me, I value handiness, lightweight and pointablity most in a lever gun these days. If I was scoping up I would go 336, if I was serious about shooting a deer, I probably go 336. If I want to go on a walk in the sage and shoot varmints and jack rabbits. the 94 will get the not. The latter event is the event I am mot likely going to use a lever gun. a bit off topic, what about a model 92
My 94 Legacy has downed many deer for me since 1995. It is a little lighter than my Glenfield 30GT but accuracy is the same - 2 inch groups at 100 yards.

Sherwood
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
the last year the lever action bug has bitten me. I first bought a marlin 1894 in 357 and just loved the thing. Then I thought lets try a 336, so I picked up a really nice 1980 336 in 30-30. its a very solid gun with a great trigger. but it wasn't near as handy as the marlin 1894. for the last several months I have been wanting a winchester 94. YES I know they are the most common deer rifle ever made. but living in utah where the dang thing was invented they aren't very easy to find. So I picked up a 1954, winchester 94 in 30-30 off gunbroker. It weighs 2 oz more than my marlin 1894c. The fact of the matter its just quite a bit handier than the 336, its at least a half pound lighter. The action seems to lever in those long 30-30 cases with less clunkiness than the 336 does. Don't get me wrong the 336 is beefier, more solid feeling. The 94 is looser fitting and less solid feeling.

to me the secret sauce of a lever gun is how handy they are. how fast can they swing on target. how fast can you lever in a new cartridge. the winchester 94, handles more like my marlin 1894, but shoots a much more potent 30-30 case. I have no intentions to ever hunt deer with any of these lever guns. To me they are funnest just going on a walk through the sage brush hunting jackrabbits and just plinking at stuff. I call the model 94 in 30-30 the high power option when it comes to jackrabbit hunting. I am so glad I bought a pre 64, model 94. the gun just has a soul to it. its got patina, the wood aint perfect, the bluing on the corners is worn a bit. all I gotta say is everyone needs at least one model 94 winchester.

Nothing wrong with that. Some of us just have better taste than others. Congratulations!
I really like my 1950's 94 in 32 Special. (1954, I think) I have a few Marlins. If I had to keep only one it would probably be that 32 Special.

Sure a guy can put a scope on a Marlin and the likely are more accurate. But that 94 is fast to get on target. I have Lyman aperture steel sights on my Marlins and a couple of the Winchesters, including that 32.

I have only shot them off the bench to sight them in. They are not bench guns. Shooting off hand, I doubt that I would know which is the most accurate. (That 1984 44 Mag is sweet too though.)

If I had a couple of seconds to shoot a deer, I think that 94 would be hard to beat.
I currently own a 1960 M94 32 Spl, 1992 M336 30-30, 1957 M99 308 and a 3 year old Henry 45-70.

My least favorite is the M94...I would sell it in a minute if I could come close to recovering what I have in it.

What makes it so attractive to some is its downfall for me...it is just too diminutive. I like to have something in my hands to hold onto and the M94 is just so, so tiny.

Don't get me wrong...nothing inherently wrong with the rifle. Just doesn't trip my trigger.

[Linked Image]

Attached picture IMG_0773.jpg
I think this all just goes to show how subjective this rifle love can be.

One man's pleasure is another man's pain.
I've got them both. I started out on the Winchester, and the Marlin will never feel right to me, but I like shooting both of them.
Originally Posted by Youper
I've got them both. I started out on the Winchester, and the Marlin will never feel right to me, but I like shooting both of them.

I started out on the Marlin. And after getting a Winchester the Marlins have never felt right to me since. smile
My 3030 marlin XLR. Cur down to 21"tube. Shoots sub moa

Originally Posted by Fotis

for what you are doing with your gun, I think the 336 is quite a bit better. If I wanted scope mounting and max accuracy, 336 hands down. The problem for me is that will never be my use for a lever action. I have plenty of bolt guns that don't get the love they need already. I want fast handling and iron sights. I may even prefer buckhorn style sights too. I still haven't decided if I like the skinner/williams sights or buckhorn for my uses.

for what you are doing with your gun, I think the 336 is quite a bit better. If I wanted scope mounting and max accuracy, 336 hands down. The problem for me is that will never be my use for a lever action. I have plenty of bolt guns that don't get the love they need already. I want fast handling and iron sights. I may even prefer buckhorn style sights too. I still haven't decided if I like the skinner/williams sights or buckhorn for my uses.
Aperture sights are more accurate and faster to use than buckhorns.
Originally Posted by Blackheart

Aperture sights are more accurate and faster to use than buckhorns.

maybe but on the last outing hunting jack rabbits in the sage for me I might like the buckhorns better. I still haven't done it quite enough to say for sure. the buckhorns seem easier to line up the front and rear sight and hold it while swinging the gun. I do most definatly prefer the aperature if the target isn't moving. that is defiantly for sure. I have guns setup both ways so we will see what I connect with best, although jackrabbits aren't in abundance around me these days.
I enjoy hunting with my angle-eject 94 Legacy model. It's lighter and shoulders quicker than my Marlin 336A. This long barreled Marlin is fun to shoot tiny group clusters at the range but I never hunt with it.

Sherwood
I never cared for aperture sights much.
You are quite obviously very ill! Could anyone really prefer the Winchester 94 over the Marlin 336??? Just joking! I like the lines of the Winchester 94 but find that the.Marlin 336 and the Marlin 1894 to fit my needs better. I do love packing one of my Marlin 94s more than the 336 because of the svelt (sic?) nature of the 94 vs. the 336. But to be perfectly honest I mess with the clean lines and the lightening fast feel of both by putting scopes on them. That one characteristic makes the Marlins really appeal to me. I know about the Angle Eject Winchesters but can't warm up to them. The lines of the Winchester just don't look right with a scope mounted on top. Maybe it's because I've always had scopes on my Marlins but they look natural there, IF it is not a large, high powered outfit. Whether we are talking about lever-actions or whatever, I hate it when people put huge scopes on short, light rifles! I hate it even worse if they have those confounded see-thru mounts! It is truly laughable to see a Marlin 30/30 with a 6-24x scope with a 50mm+ objective in see-thru mounts just to get the scope to clear the barrel! Such a conglomeration looks, to me, like a scope with a rifle attached to it. Well, I spilled my guts on that one so I'll shut up now...
I'd take 1 70's Marlin in 35 Rem over a truckload of 94's
I have a Marlin 1895 in 45-70 and a Mod. 94 in .44 mag. and a 94 Big Bore in .356 Win. I like them both but prefer the pistol grip stock on the Marlin because of recoil management. I also find the Marlins a bit easier to take apart and like the design of their action. My wife confiscated the little .44 mag. long ago and calls it her berry picking gun. I keep it loaded with 280 grain LBT hard casts. I doubt she will ever warm up to the .356 because of recoil.

A guy ought to have several of each in my opinion!
No, there is just something about levers in a revolver cartridge. I really like the idea of a companion rifle.
A Marlin was my first deer rifle 55 years ago.
I still have a 336 in my safe.
No complaints on the Marlin.

But then, I wound up buying a great-shape 94 carbine three years ago. (1975 mfg)
That gun is so naturally “handy”, that it immediately became my favorite.

I like the 336,
But,
I love the 94.

I don't think it's bad. I own a few Marlins, but will always prefer a 94 over a 336 platform. When I want a scoped lever, no problem as my 94 AE models work great, even though I'm not crazy about the rebounding hammer. Some people detest the AE models, but not me. Mine are pre safety.

My Marlins are big bore rifles. No flies on em, they work well.
I'll agree the Win 94 feels lighter and handier, if not a bit clunkier when working the action. Now the pre-64 winchester 94 ... Thats a whole different story. It's a very smooth action.
My 1956 Winchester 94 is only 2 ounces heavier than my marlin 1894 c in 357. The marlin is a bit is easier to lever but not all that much easier to handle the advantage is shooting 30-30. It’s much harder hitting. But that may or may not matter.

The 336 is really totally different in its handeling, but it’s more bank vaults feel, it’s gets back to what you want, scoped primary hunting rifle? 336 is what you want, for me that will never be my use of a lever gun. Plinking and classic lever action experience is my desire. Handiness is next
Originally Posted by Frontiersman
I'll agree the Win 94 feels lighter and handier, if not a bit clunkier when working the action. Now the pre-64 winchester 94 ... Thats a whole different story. It's a very smooth action.
I have two model 94's. One made in 1949 that has seen much use in my hands since I bought it in 1982 and one made in 1979 that I bought just 6 years ago in like new condition. Despite much less use, the 1979 gun is much smoother operating. That is by design, as one thing Winchester did with the post 64's was switch from a relatively stiff, flat hammer spring to a coil spring, which requires much less effort to cock the hammer.
Surprised that no one mentioned the Winchester model 64. Had one. 32 Special. Loved it.
I'll mention the Mod. 64. I have one in 30-30 made in 1951 IIRC. With the Lyman peep on it is a 1.5" gun with my eyes, I have also always preferred the 94 to the Marlin. The Marlin always felt chunky to me compared to the 94. Now that doesn't mean I don't like Marlins because I do. I would really like a the Marlin Cowboy in 45-70. That one is trimmed down on the forend and feels really good. If Marlin did that with the rest I might consider them more.
I had both for years. Both great rifles. Both 30-30. The 94 fits me better and is quicker to get on target with.
The Winchester 94 is in a world of its own.

Sorry, I know it's an older thread, but I just came across it and wanted to comment on something. The part I put in bold, about not being easy to find in Utah, has been my case here in California as well. I have my first lever-gun, a 94 made in '61, on order as we speak. I had to get it online, from Cabelas in PA. Here in California, they are very hard to come by. I almost get the feeling that lever guns are mostly an eastern-states thing.
Keep us posted how you like it. Took my 1956 94 out earlier this week. Put about 40 rounds through it. Grabbed a 336 at the Remington booth today at the expo. Yep the 94 is just easier to lever. Btw I also own 2. 336 rifles too. Haven’t been shooting them much
I always thought the 336's were butt ugly rifles. Then along came the newer Marlin 94's with that fat forearm, butt ugly too. The early Marlins with the octagon barrel and normal sized forearms were a nice looking gun, and I think were just as good as the older Winchester 94's . IMO.The 92's were a handier rifle.I am tinkering with an old Win 94 in 38-35 now and it looks about the same as the Marlin 94 in 38-40 I just sold

I've always admired the 94. But was afraid I'd break it. And I like a small 1-4x20 scope mounted as low as it'll go.

After a couple of earlier 336's, an RC and a Texan, I ended up with the sveltest of Marlin's. The Ranger of Marlins. K-Mart blue light special 30TK. It's not too shabby. For those not familiar, here's what it looks like.

I love the pre-64 94s. I have a few of them from various dates, the oldest being well over a hundred years old in full rifle length, octagonal barrel, crescent butt plate. I've got a really nice pre-war carbine in .32 Winchester Special with a semi-crescent butt plate. Beautiful wood.
No reason at all to feel bad about liking any Winchester lever over any Marlin.
I have a Mod. 94 Win. in .44 mag., a Mod. 94 big Bore in .356 Win., a Mirkoru made Mod 71 Win. in .348 Win. and a Marlin 1895 in 45-70 and I like them all. But, when it comes time to clean them or disassemble them for any reason, the Marlin 1895 is the hands down winner for me. In a few minutes I am quickly cleaning the rifle from the receiver end and cleaning the bolt and receiver. They also are easier to mount a scope on. I prefer the lighter weight of a Marlin 1895 compared to my Mod. 71 and the Win. 1886. But, the Big Bore .356 WIn. is a lot of bang in a small light package.

It was Marlin who first brought out the 45-70 in a lever gun long ago. But, nothing will ever be able to compete with the reputation of the Winchester name, it appeals to the cowboy in all of us !

The Marlin 336 and 1895 receivers are pretty much the same and one thing is for sure here in Alaska, Marlin hit the grand slam of home runs with their 45-70 series of rifles, whether it is one of the many Guide gun models, the Limited Edition Models or the regular 1895 in 45-70. Even though most of us Alaskan hunters prefer a scope sighted bolt gun for hunting, we also reach for a Marlin in 45-70 for other out door activities. They are very popular in Alaska and many of us prefer them for hiking, ATV rides, camping, and wading salmon streams that bears also love.

My 45-70 lives in my truck from April to November. It is a comfort to me.
Originally Posted by 1Akshooter
But, the Big Bore .356 WIn. is a lot of bang in a small light package.

Shhhhhhhh.
Let's keep that a secret. Ammo and reloading component concerns. wink
I prefer the Marlin due to easy to take apart for detailed cleaning. The Winchester 94 is a classic and it is hard to find someone who has not owned it.
I think that the Win 94 and the Marlin 336 are the only reason that the 30-30 still remains as popular as it is... The guns have carried the cartridge.
I think that the Win 94 and the Marlin 336 are the only reason that the 30-30 still remains as popular as it is...

Lotta truth to that.
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
I think that the Win 94 and the Marlin 336 are the only reason that the 30-30 still remains as popular as it is...

Lotta truth to that.

While the truth of that is undeniable, there was an article in the 1995 Gun Digest titled "All those other 30-30s" that listed the various firearms that were so chambered. I found it quite interesting.
I still think that if not for those two rifles, the .30-30 would not be as popular as it is. The M94 is especially handy to carry and use in the woods.

Though undeniably a great little round, more modern rounds have overshadowed it. In my case, it's been the .308 Winchester. I still have a strong sentimental connection to the M94/.30-30 combo, that being what I hunted during my youth and early adult years with.

I would like to read that article. I haven't given in to the urge yet, but I'd like to get a bolt, or better yet, a pump .30-30. The pump just seems like it would lend itself to the quick action that can occur in thick woods.
Vic, get yourself a Winchester model 54 in 3030. The holy grail!
Those are nice! Classic Winchester bolt gun.

But......It don't handle like a Model 94, and that's what you get away from with the bolt guns, and I suspect to a degree, the pump.

That probably wouldn't make a difference because I don't wander like I used to, and now if I run across a 54 it might get bought...that is, if you let me blame you...(grin)
is it bad I like the 94 better than the 336? [

The simple fact that you had to ask that question, says something, doesn't it LOL
I have also snagged a few lever actions this past year.
The first gun I ever owned is a 1977 Marlin 336 in 30-30. My parents bought it for me when they saw I had caught the deer hunting bug so it will always be special to me. I always had a scope of some kind on it until I recently bought a used set of Skinner sights for it. It made me like it even more.
I also have a 1977 Marlin 39 with a Williams peep sight. God only knows how many rounds my sons, nephews and nieces have sent down the barrel of that little gun. A friend of mine has been trying to pry it away from me for years but this one isn't going anywhere outside my family.
I had a Remlin 1894 in 44 mag that was plagued with feeding problems from the start. I sent it back to Marlin for repair and then sold it. I replaced it with a REAL Marlin 1894. I put a set of Skinners on it and it's quickly become one of my favorite plinkers.
Then I got my first Winchester. My Uncle Hank passed away this spring and left me his NRA Centennial Model 94 rifle. I replaced the sights with a Williams peep and I've really enjoyed shooting it. It has the pistol grip stock and the longer barrel balances really well for off-hand shooting. I hope to shoot a buck with it this fall in his memory. I see now what cumminscowboy means about the handy feel of a 94.
Finally I bought a used Browning BLR in 308Win. with a pistol grip stock on the Classifieds here. I scoped it with a VX1 2-7 and I'm having blast with it. The only thing is the horrendous 6 lb. trigger, so I contacted Neil Jones about doing a trigger job. I'll shoot it some more before sending it off for any work. It seems pretty new so maybe it will loosen up a bit.
I still don't know what I like better. There's just something about a levergun.
They're both great! Since the 94 was my first the nod kind of goes to it.
Opinions, are just that, mostly on aesthetics, not counting cartridge power, give me the 1892 Win in .38-40...second, the 1893 Marlin in any cartridge, then third, the Win 1894's in any cartridge.
The 336? an abomination to the eye, the little round bolt in it's dirt catching cavern of a receiver, it's clunky handling fencepost forearm.... but younger generations will not be satisfied with an iron sighted handy rifle, and with it's scope, it will generally outshoot many bolt guns. I think there is a direct correlation between the generations and their preferences.
my very first rifle was a lever . a daisy red rider. since then i have had maybe a 100 levers. brownins, marlins, and winchesters , with a Ithaca and a couple Henry's tossed in. deep in my being the 94 winchester has a grip on me. only have 2 at present but will not ever be without one.
forgot a couple sharps, remington's etc. 94 still just feels like a part of me when i'm holding one.
© 24hourcampfire