Home
what kind of ammo do you guys run in your lever guns in 357 that lays the snack down on, rabbits , coons etc. last summer I shot a coon with my 1894c I was using fiocchi 148 JHP's I was not that impressed with the results as the coon needed several more hits to take him all the way out.
I would think the 110 grain HP would be the ticket.
I would say lighter bullets with highest velocity. The 125gr JHP factory 357 mag loads are good on just about everything up to deer and man at reasonable distances like 100yds. Should be very serious medicine for varmints as well.
Originally Posted by TxJW
I would say lighter bullets with highest velocity. The 125gr JHP factory 357 mag loads are good on just about everything up to deer and man at reasonable distances like 100yds. Should be very serious medicine for varmints as well.

^^^THIS^^^ The 125 gr bullets will break 2000 fps in rifle barrels. I'd have to dig out my notes but I seem to recall low 2100 fps in my 22" barrel H&R.
Yeah I hear you guys my gun seems to prefer the heavier bullets though. That is why I have been using the fiocchi 148’s The 125’s don’t seem to shoot as well
I load a Speer 158gr. SP for deer and a Speer 158gr. Deep Curl HP varmints. Load both with 16.grs of H110 powder in my Marlin 1894C.
I would think those 125 HP's would work well. You handload correct?
Originally Posted by rifletom
I would think those 125 HP's would work well. You handload correct?

I do just not for 357, for me its too much of a PITA to scour the ground looking for brass. I often shoot the gun in snow, or in sage brush, picking up the brass isn't something I really wanna mess with. I would reload for it if it wasn't for that.
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
what kind of ammo do you guys run in your lever guns in 357 that lays the snack down on, rabbits , coons etc. last summer I shot a coon with my 1894c I was using fiocchi 148 JHP's I was not that impressed with the results as the coon needed several more hits to take him all the way out.

Where did you hit the Raccoon with your first shot?
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
Yeah I hear you guys my gun seems to prefer the heavier bullets though. That is why I have been using the fiocchi 148’s The 125’s don’t seem to shoot as well

Have you tried any 158gr. HP ammo yet? If your carbine likes heavier bullets it is worth a try. You more likely get more penetration with the heavier bullets. Before I started reloading Federal American Eagle 158gr. SP was my factory ammo that shot well in my Marlin 1894C. Tested this load over a chronograph. 10 shot string average 1835fps with a 4fps difference between all 10 shots.
© 24hourcampfire