Home
Posted By: Bowman44 Marlin Action Jobs - 01/23/20
I have a friend with a couple of JM Marlins that he wants the action slicked up on. Figured you guys would know the best smiths for this. I also posted on the cowboy thread. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Posted By: SheriffJoe Re: Marlin Action Jobs - 01/23/20
Disassembly.

400 and 800 grit Wet-or-Dry. Polish and smooth...no metal removal.

Mother's Mag polish or equivalent to lightly polish bolt.

Tetra Gun Grease or equivalent.

CLP or equivalent.

Reassembly.

You should be able to cycle the action with just your pinky on the finger lever.

You can replace trigger and ejector (see Wild West Guns) if you want lighter trigger, but usually not necessary on a lever action.
Posted By: jar Re: Marlin Action Jobs - 01/23/20
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe
Disassembly.

400 and 800 grit Wet-or-Dry. Polish and smooth...no metal removal.

Mother's Mag polish or equivalent to lightly polish bolt.

Tetra Gun Grease or equivalent.

CLP or equivalent.

Reassembly.

You should be able to cycle the action with just your pinky on the finger lever.

You can replace trigger and ejector (see Wild West Guns) if you want lighter trigger, but usually not necessary on a lever action.

this is just about the exact thing I did made a world of differance !!!
Posted By: Stan V Re: Marlin Action Jobs - 01/23/20
Ranger Point Precision

https://www.rangerpointstore.com/
Posted By: shawlerbrook Re: Marlin Action Jobs - 01/23/20
Unfortunately, Ranger Point Precision no longer does custom gunsmithing. If your friend is at all handy, there are some good stickies on the Marlinowners site and some good videos on YouTube. Not sure if Steve’s Gunz works on Marlins.
Posted By: renegade50 Re: Marlin Action Jobs - 01/23/20
Lots of good vids on the web about it and detailed disassembly and assembly vids also. Sheriff Joe hit the gist of it.
No need to pay a gunsmith to do the same exact things that a person can do themselves.
Its also fun and satisfying, saves the wallet an incredible amount of money.

IME and JMO.
That's news to me, they took care of my 357 just 2 years ago. Better call em, they are fantastic.
Originally Posted by shawlerbrook
Unfortunately, Ranger Point Precision no longer does custom gunsmithing. If your friend is at all handy, there are some good stickies on the Marlinowners site and some good videos on YouTube. Not sure if Steve’s Gunz works on Marlins.

Well, they have changed. I'm not sure what yet, they still offer parts and I'm sure they would install and gunsmith same.

Better call, if they take the job it'll be first class.
Posted By: 1Akshooter Re: Marlin Action Jobs - 01/23/20
A few months ago they told me they are no longer in the gun smith business and are selling gun parts only. They may have let their FFL go also. I sincerely wish they would train some one else to make up some .36 RPP's. A lightweight .35 caliber power house that I would pack in Alaska.
That's to bad. They did great work on Marlins and makes me wonder what happened to drop all that experience. Adam knows his stuff.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Marlin Action Jobs - 01/23/20

Adam @ RPP did a job for me........chopped a 20" Marlin CB 45 Colt from 20" to 16"

did a helluva job........one of my fav's.........pic......

as far as tuning......DIY and learn the gun & how it works..........

RPP still sells aftermarket Marlin parts.......but just went to other custom projects

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: jeeper Re: Marlin Action Jobs - 01/23/20
Originally Posted by renegade50
Lots of good vids on the web about it and detailed disassembly and assembly vids also. Sheriff Joe hit the gist of it.
No need to pay a gunsmith to do the same exact things that a person can do themselves.
Its also fun and satisfying, saves the wallet an incredible amount of money.

IME and JMO.

Yep , some good ones on youtube . Did some very light filing and 600 grit in some places and smoothed one up real nice in about 30 minutes. polishing some areas of the bolt and top of hammer seem to make the most difference.
Posted By: SheriffJoe Re: Marlin Action Jobs - 01/24/20

Be REAL EASY on changing the bolt/hammer interface. Polish those areas ONLY.
Posted By: rayballz Re: Marlin Action Jobs - 01/31/20
There was a place upstate NY that does some really good work. Unfortunately I no longer have the address. Maybe some one here knows and can forward it to you?
Posted By: shawlerbrook Re: Marlin Action Jobs - 02/01/20
ray, I think you mean Jeff Johansen in Unadilla, Used to sell custom Marlins on Gunbroker. Unfortunately, he has had some very bad back problems and surgery and is not taking on new work at this time.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Marlin Action Jobs - 02/01/20

DIY........buff only no grinding

http://marauder.homestead.com/files/tuning_m_1894.htm
Posted By: rayballz Re: Marlin Action Jobs - 02/02/20
Thanks shawlerbrook, Unadilla sounds right. Sorry to hear that he did good work.
© 24hourcampfire