Home
Posted By: ALLongshot Reblue or Cerrakote? - 02/17/20
Just picked up a 1976 Marlin 1894 in 44Mag, the blueing on the barrel and the corners of the receiver is pretty thin. The rest of the rifle is pretty dang nice. I didn't buy it for the collector value and plan to use it for hunting deer and pigs. So should I just reblue it or go ahead and Cerrakote it?
Posted By: mart Re: Reblue or Cerrakote? - 02/18/20
If it's not rusted or pitted why not shoot it the way it is. Guns get wear in the bluing. It doesn't affect how they shoot or function. And if you get it reblued you'll either be watching how you handle it all the time or you'll just not take it for fear of wearing the new blueing off. I'd shoot it the way it is myself. If it's just some blueing wear on the barrel and receiver corners, I'd leave it alone.

If I wanted good protection from the elements, I'd have it cerrakoted.
Posted By: shawlerbrook Re: Reblue or Cerrakote? - 02/18/20
Use it as is.
Posted By: Teeder Re: Reblue or Cerrakote? - 02/19/20
I just picked up a Glenfield M30 .35 Rem and the whole drive there to get it I was planning on re-blueing and maybe slapping some walnut on it.
Once I got it in my hands, there was no way I was going to remove all the years of hunting wear that it earned.
It looks and feels perfect.
Moral of the story, use it as is!
Posted By: Rug3 Re: Reblue or Cerrakote? - 03/04/20
I love the look of an older rifle showing that it's been hunted. Character!
Birdsong's Black T
Posted By: Rug3 Re: Reblue or Cerrakote? - 03/04/20
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Birdsong's Black T

That's a great product. They also coat all the internal parts.
Posted By: ALLongshot Re: Reblue or Cerrakote? - 03/05/20
Well it really looks like the blueing is pretty much been rubbed off on 80% of the barrel and probably half the receiver. But I'm still thinking about the Ceracoat
Posted By: 1Akshooter Re: Reblue or Cerrakote? - 03/24/20
Put some Corrosion X on it every time you hunt it and when you store it and I bet it is fine unless you are hunting coastal areas, then I would Ceracoat it and still use Corrosion X.
Posted By: WStrayer Re: Reblue or Cerrakote? - 03/24/20
For touch-up this is the best that I have found. Works great on tools as well.
https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-...uing-chemicals/oxpho-blue--prod1072.aspx
Posted By: Region6 Re: Reblue or Cerrakote? - 03/27/20
I would leave it as is, if it were my gun.
Posted By: renegade50 Re: Reblue or Cerrakote? - 03/28/20
Originally Posted by ALLongshot
Just picked up a 1976 Marlin 1894 in 44Mag, the blueing on the barrel and the corners of the receiver is pretty thin. The rest of the rifle is pretty dang nice. I didn't buy it for the collector value and plan to use it for hunting deer and pigs. So should I just reblue it or go ahead and Cerrakote it?

Cerracoat it.
That way if ya get blood on it and you dont notice it quickly.
It wont fugg up a blueing job.
Do your research and find a guy that is certified by them and aint taking shortcuts to save a buck.
Lay your hands on examples of his work also if ya can

40% midnight blue
60% graphite black
Light coat of clear

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Post 64 top eject I sent down the road, which I kinda regret a little.
100% graphite black

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
© 24hourcampfire