Home
Posted By: bwinters Liner socks - 09/18/20
I"m a fan of liner socks under a med-heavy pair of wool socks for general hiking and hunting. A bit of strategically placed Leukatape and a liner sock/med-heavy sock combo keeps my feet blister free and happy for many miles in all terrains. I've been wearing the Smartwool liner socks for the past 3-4-5 years, Cabelas polypro before that. I'm about to buy a few more pair to replace the aging Smartwool liners I currently have - I'm starting to get holes in the toes. They've worked well for me but am always interested in options, especially from guys that BTDT.

For those using liner socks, what brand/model are you using?
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Liner socks - 09/18/20
I've used a thin synthetic /polypro liner with a wool. Tried heavier liners and they didn't work as well. I have used Cabelas I think and also some other no names.

I tend to run hot,
Posted By: shaman Re: Liner socks - 09/18/20
I discovered cheap liner alternatives about 15 years ago. At first it was Walmart dress socks. Nowadays I'm using a Wilson athletic sock. It's all the same idea: something that reduces friction, does not absorb water, and adds a bit of insulation.
Posted By: SKane Re: Liner socks - 09/18/20
I've been smitten with the Injinji toesock liners of late.
Posted By: Brad Re: Liner socks - 09/18/20
I don't use liners anymore while using trail shoes for backpacking, but just run a pair of low Darn Tough's solo.

However, for heavier leather hunting boots, or any boot with a goretex liner, I use a Fox River wickdry liner under an appropriate Darn Tough wool sock:

https://www.amazon.com/River-Socks-...hy=9021322&hvtargid=pla-479354918284
Posted By: bwinters Re: Liner socks - 09/18/20
Funny Brad - I have those exact socks in my cart.

I've tried the toe socks and they just feel way weird to me.

Keep the ideas coming!
Posted By: 375PigGuy Re: Liner socks - 09/18/20
2nd on the toe socks from Injunji - wore them all spring and summer training for a sheep hunt and then on the hunt (2nd or 3rd hunt with them) and not a single hot spot or blister. I don’t feel they add much if any warmth (think gloves vs mittens) but these were not cold hunts.
Posted By: Brad Re: Liner socks - 09/18/20
Originally Posted by bwinters
Funny Brad - I have those exact socks in my cart.

I've tried the toe socks and they just feel way weird to me.

Keep the ideas coming!

Bill, since 1975 I've used either Wigwam or Fox River liners. Like you, the toe-socks just don't work for me.

Wigwam Coolmax:

https://www.amazon.com/Wigwam-F2161-Coolmax-Liner-Socks/dp/B016N1DHUE

I own the Fox River because I picked them up locally. If ordering from Amazon I'd just go with the Wigwam. But either works well.
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Liner socks - 09/18/20
I like the cool max liners in cold weather. I think mine are Thorolo

mike r
Posted By: eaglemountainman Re: Liner socks - 09/18/20

CoolMax under Darn Tough full cushion boot socks.
Posted By: The_Yetti Re: Liner socks - 09/18/20
Originally Posted by SKane

I got a pair of these and have been liking them, think they will be on my feet next month on my backpack hunt.
Posted By: SheriffJoe Re: Liner socks - 09/18/20

Silk liner socks.

Good emergency socks in case of a soaker, too.
Posted By: Shag Re: Liner socks - 09/25/20
at my age 53 (ithink) any liner is a quality compression knee high were all experts lol anything on top the compression sock a darn tough fox river hahaha
Posted By: Sasha_and_Abby Re: Liner socks - 09/25/20
Just cheap poly pro liners off Amozon... they all work under a good pair of Smartwool socks in Summer and Winter...
Posted By: ribka Re: Liner socks - 09/25/20

Those are decent along with silk.

Ive tried thin wool compression socks for liners and fairly pleased. No really sustained wet conditions yet.

https://www.amazon.com/Support-Stoc...p;ref_=sbx_be_s_sparkle_mcd_asin_0_title
Posted By: ChrisAU Re: Liner socks - 09/25/20

This. The Merino version is awesome.
Posted By: Ducksanddogs Re: Liner socks - 10/02/20

Another vote here. Took me some getting used to but once I did I haven’t looked back. Nice to have no blisters anymore and the merino ones dry out hanging off a backpack quicker than I can get a Mountain House cooked.
Posted By: Woodhits Re: Liner socks - 10/02/20
Fox River for me.
Posted By: troublesome82 Re: Liner socks - 10/21/20
I am a proponent of liners, the thinner the better. I have used the el cheapo's and the really good one's for skiboots.
© 24hourcampfire