Home
Posted By: Geeman Storage of Thermarest Neoair - 02/27/21
G'day all,
I recently purchased my first inflatable mattress - a Thermarest Near Xlite Large.
The guy at the backpacking store recommended that I store it inflated (he suggested sticking it under my bed for storage).
Well, it doesn't fit under my bed or anywhere else convenient where it doesn't risk getting punctured.
How do you guys store your inflatable backpacking pads - inflated/deflated, rolled, valve open or closed?
Rolled up in the stuff sack with valve open. No issues.
Good to know, thank you - that will be far more convenient.
I have several air mattresses that I've stored rolled up for years, the best one maybe more than 10 years. No problems. Self inflating pads, though, will crunch down to where they can take days to inflate. I store those with the valves open on our camp trailer bed.
Inflated = rolled in stuff sack

Self-inflating = laid flat with valve open

Never had any issues....
I have several self inflating pads that I store rolled very loosely (in a large cardboard box) with the valves open. As noted above, stored tightly rolled they can become very slow to self inflate.
Originally Posted by Geeman
G'day all,
I recently purchased my first inflatable mattress - a Thermarest Near Xlite Large.
The guy at the backpacking store recommended that I store it inflated (he suggested sticking it under my bed for storage).
Well, it doesn't fit under my bed or anywhere else convenient where it doesn't risk getting punctured.
How do you guys store your inflatable backpacking pads - inflated/deflated, rolled, valve open or closed?

I have mine loosely rolled up, and not folded, but not inflated.

No issues.

I've got some storage tubs with inflatable pads and hammock quilts that need to be uncompressed for storage.
Posted By: Brad Re: Storage of Thermarest Neoair - 02/28/21
Loosely rolled, valve open.
Open, inflated and standing against the wall in a closet. Never gets in the way of anything.

All the above AFTER 10-15 minutes per side in sunlight.
valve open propped up in closet.
Originally Posted by Nashville
valve open propped up in closet.
How do you prop up a deflated air mattress? All of mine collapse into a heap on the floor.

You'll figure it out.

(HINT:) Pound a nail through the pad in each corner. smirk
I have a very full closet...

Grab a binder clip and a coat hanger.
© 24hourcampfire