Home
Posted By: comerade Knee brace questions - 09/24/21
Putting this out there.
Recently I developed a miniscus tear( sp?) In my left knee.
Surgery is pending but wondering about a knee brace for hunting season....which is on now.
What have you tried and did it help?
FYI, I am 63, very fit and decently athletic.
I was hoping for a less cumbersome brace , something worn under my pants with chinks or shotgun chaps. I am horseback most often.
If I knew now what I didn't know then, I would have done things Different!
Almost the same age, had 5, Meniscus surgeries done, 3 on one, and 2 on the other!
I do wear the Elastic, compression braces, as needed.
The thing is, once you cut out the frayed material from the meniscus, it doesn't grow back!
Instead, it leaves a gap, that is a constant problem down the road, as it's constantly filling with Arthritis!
If Stem Cell Research was available back then, I would have gone that route!
My friend had it and it's amazing!
As soon as my surgeries were done, I felt great, WALAH!
The main problem was that by removing the cushioning material from the joint, it
promoted, the 'BONE ON BONE" Wear and Tear, so now I'm a candidate for knee Replacement,
As My wife reminds me to walk straight and not Bow Legged! JMO!!!
Posted By: Springcove Re: Knee brace questions - 09/25/21
I use a Donnay specific for my left knee. It has two Velcro straps and it stabilizes my knee cap. Just my two cents
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Knee brace questions - 09/25/21
My wife had meniscus surgery about 18 months ago. They had her in an offloader brace that pushed the knee sideways to put the weight on the opposite side of the joint. It worked very well but they're danged expensive, about $900. They have to be fit by a tech and that was part of the price. Likely you'll be needing it after the surgery so you might ask your Dr. about it for use before.
Posted By: ro1459 Re: Knee brace questions - 09/25/21
I use the Shock Doctor hinged knee brace for mine. It was recommended by my DR. Got it from Amazon for $48.00. Good luck.
© 24hourcampfire