Home
New year, new thread needed!
Shoveled snow for two hours.
Shoveled snow for two hours.
Four hours of snow shoveling is quite the workout.
Snowshoed with a ruck & my beagle chasing bunnies today. Strangely warm VT afternoon.
smokepole two hours at school and then an hour when I got home, double post ,my bad, but quite a workout just the same!
Yep, I've got a feeling it's gonna be a good year for shoveling.
Went back to anytime fitness in December. At 53 (in a few days) I need to improve my overall health. I do some cardio and light weights,
15x3….
This year I'm focusing on kettlebell exercises, specifically the swing and get up. Hoping to be both a Simple and Sinister year... wink
Originally Posted by pointer
This year I'm focusing on kettlebell exercises, specifically the swing and get up. Hoping to be both a Simple and Sinister year... wink

Middle of 2020 I began a regimen of alternating CrossFit type body weight workouts with kettlebell workouts with runs mixed in. Lots of push-ups, pull-ups, swings, etc. Moving my body weight is the emphasis for me. I feel better than I have in a long time. Ran 365 miles last year (7.02 / week). 500 miles is my run goal this year with another half marathon (hopefully sub 2:00:00).
I do a combination of kettlebell and barbell work. Kettlebells offer a great mix of strength, power and conditioning. Over the year I cycle between strength oriented programs and muscle growth programs, both combine kettlebell and barbell. I’m 53 and tend to be small and lean so I have to concentrate on muscle for longevity. Easy to lose lean muscle mass as we age and accelerate frailty. Then closer to sheep season I tune up my conditioning.
Yesterday morning I did a workout, then in the afternoon I was able to go snowshoeing for a couple hours.
Originally Posted by philgood80

Middle of 2020 I began a regimen of alternating CrossFit type body weight workouts with kettlebell workouts with runs mixed in. Lots of push-ups, pull-ups, swings, etc. Moving my body weight is the emphasis for me. I feel better than I have in a long time. Ran 365 miles last year (7.02 / week). 500 miles is my run goal this year with another half marathon (hopefully sub 2:00:00).
Very worthy goals. My current living situation and schedule preclude me from joining a gym, but I love that I can get some work in with a KB quickly and in a small space. I really need get better about running, just a very hard thing for me to enjoy enough to do it often/long enough to get good at it. I may shoot for the goal you attained last year!
I'ma gonna get a Cubii. As seen on TV.....
huntsman, better than doing nothing!
Well, since I'm on the couch anyway.......grin
Originally Posted by huntsman22
I'ma gonna get a Cubii. As seen on TV.....

You've got TV now?

I got that. Simple and sinister is good. I hate Turkish get ups though.
Originally Posted by TimberRunner

I got that. Simple and sinister is good. I hate Turkish get ups though.
As long as it's not too many in a row...
Originally Posted by viking
Went back to anytime fitness in December. At 53 (in a few days) I need to improve my overall health. I do some cardio and light weights,
15x3….

I'm the same age. It doesn't get easier.

I started tracking workouts on Runkeeper (app) and haven't missed a day yet this year.

I just use a spin bike, a Bowflex, a balance board and a few dumbbells at home in the winter. Running is a warm weather only activity for me.
I fully retired at the end of December so work no longer gets in the way of working out. With that I've set a goal of 2022 trail miles for the year. I generally average 30-35 miles/week. If I string in some 50-100 mile backpacking trips, should be doable. Still strength training twice a week (squats/bench one day, deadlifts and overhead press on the other), still following Wendler's program- albeit slightly modified.

Last year I kept track of ascent and hit roughly 450,000'- this year should be in that ballpark as well, but not keeping track as it was a pain.

Have been getting in some snowshoeing and backcountry skiing in already this year and see a lot more (God willing) this winter/spring.
Stepped off the Assault treadmill wrong and went ribs into a steel bar...Took a couple days off. laugh
Originally Posted by mtwarden
... Still strength training twice a week (squats/bench one day, deadlifts and overhead press on the other), still following Wendler's program- albeit slightly modified.

Always enjoy reading your training/mileage posts. I'll make a suggestion on your strength training. I think it's good to train an upper body "pull" on each of those days in approximately the same angular movement pattern as the push. Example - on the upper body squat/bench day add in a row of some sort. On the DL/OH press day add a pullup or lat pulldown.

I've really simplified much of my strength training over the last decade and try to pair push/pull movements together. I think it really helps with joint integrity and muscle/postural balance...which can help with injury prevention. Alternating the push then pull on sets can help save time as well.

Enjoy retirement!
2nd verse, same as the 1st...

I live in the foothills. 6 days a week I hike a 5 mile trail with a 30lb slab of iron on my back and a 10lb rifle in my hands, sans sling. Except when there's ice/crampons or snow/snowshoes, then I sling up.

Back at the trail head if the ground is frozen or dry it's drop and do pushups, then shed the weight and knockout stomach crunches. Otherwise, they can wait until I get back to the shack where I also do pullups.

The objective is always 90 minute hike, ice or snow takes a tad longer. Minimum of 1,000 miles a year.
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
... Still strength training twice a week (squats/bench one day, deadlifts and overhead press on the other), still following Wendler's program- albeit slightly modified.

Always enjoy reading your training/mileage posts. I'll make a suggestion on your strength training. I think it's good to train an upper body "pull" on each of those days in approximately the same angular movement pattern as the push. Example - on the upper body squat/bench day add in a row of some sort. On the DL/OH press day add a pullup or lat pulldown.

I've really simplified much of my strength training over the last decade and try to pair push/pull movements together. I think it really helps with joint integrity and muscle/postural balance...which can help with injury prevention. Alternating the push then pull on sets can help save time as well.

Enjoy retirement!

thanks smile

On squat/bench day I do three setups of pull-ups and three sets of dips (core as well); deadlift/press day- three sets of lunges and three sets of chin-ups (core too). I've been bumping up my pull/chin-ups slowly the last two months (basically after hunting season) and got my first three sets of 20 pull-ups last week- sets are in-between squats and bench, roughly 7-10 minutes between sets. Probably won't go a ton higher with reps and instead add weight to the pull-ups/chin-ups.
Originally Posted by battue
Stepped off the Assault treadmill wrong and went ribs into a steel bar...Took a couple days off. laugh

Dang, hope you heal up quick man. I guess they don't call it an "assault treadmill" for nothing!!
Thanks,
The power of two Aspirin is amazing...Not for everyone, but it is the equivalent of the potent narcs...

Four or five days out and it is mostly gone...being able to take a deep breath and hold it is the healing guideline.

I mainly use the Assault because it incorporates more balance than a regular treadmill..Mostly walk fast and a light jog. You start sprinting on it and it has shot more than one off the tread.
Running log update:

Week 2 (Jan 9-15): 12.9

2022 Total: 19.5 / 2 (9.75 / Wk)
Plus a body weight push-ups, air squat workout with some sprints mixed in (Mon) and a kettlebell workout with a lot of shoulder work around the swings and squat presses (Wed) Add in to each of those days a body weight / plyo workout with more push-up variations and lunges.
got 10 miles in backcountry skiing yesterday- lots of work, but worth it

don't like to encounter this across the trail (there were three slides within a half mile- guessing just a couple of days old)

[Linked Image from imgur.com]
5 mike hike around the neighborhood.
Weighted pack hiking up an incline. Sit ups and lots of stretching. Finishing concrete at work gives me a good upper body work out haha.
Another 5 miler around the neighborhood.
Another 5 miler around the neighborhood. I love days off and long weekends so I can do what I want!
Hitting the Echelon bike hard after 1/1.
Bowflex had the C6 on sale. I upgraded my loud spin bike for my indoor Winter workouts.

https://www.bowflex.com/bikes/c6/10...ct&utm_medium=affiliate&clickid=
4min warm up on the treadmill .5 incline at 8mph

Kettle bell shoulders presses
Pull-ups
Bench press
Push-ups

20mins on the stairmaster (10mins at level 10, 10 mins of 1 minute on/off intervals up to level 14).
4min warm up on the treadmill .5 incline, 8mph

Barbell squats
Kettlebell squats
Dead lift

Intervals on the stationary bike for 30mins. 1min on/off
Posted By: ribka Re: 2022- Fitness Workout thread - 01/21/22
got 10 miles in backcountry skiing yesterday- lots of work, but worth it

don't like to encounter this across the trail (there were three slides within a half mile- guessing just a couple of days old)

2 weeks post covid again. 3.5 miles snow shoes. Static stretching. 30 min sauna.
Tomorrow upper body
Run log update

Week 3 (Jan 16-22): 10.0

2022 Total: 29.5 / 3 ( 9.83 / Wk)

Plus a Kettlebell workout Wednesday and a body weight CrossFit workout this afternoon got the final 2 miles in.
Riding the Eschelon bike daily for an hour for cardio then outside for temperature conditioning (aka freezing my a** off). Been so cold here that my Beagle can only be out on the snow for short periods. With weather into the teens, we’ll be back out on the snowshoes.

@mtwarden - I saw your pic before I read your post. Spooky when you start to see those slides. Glad you haven’t caused any or been involved.

Good to have a thread like this - get some fellas!
I broke through the 100 mile mark yesterday, only 1916 miles to go laugh

I'm 60 and overweight, so I started going to the gym Jan 1, Three days a week.
Squats
bench press
bent over rows
overhead press
deadlifts
calf raises
lat pulls

I do 3 sets of each, trying to get 8-12 reps to failure, try to rest about 60 seconds between each set, I am on a serious to me diet, very low carbs, eating clean. Damn this is hard. Will start some cardio later.
Haven't missed a day yet this year. Just did an hour on the spin bike, with 30" of that as intervals.

I can't wait for the new bike to arrive.
Originally Posted by Coyotejunki
Squats
bench press
bent over rows
overhead press
deadlifts
calf raises
lat pulls

I do 3 sets of each, trying to get 8-12 reps to failure, try to rest about 60 seconds between each set, I am on a serious to me diet, very low carbs, eating clean. Damn this is hard. Will start some cardio later.

Go get ‘em Coyote!! You got this!
I broke through the 100 mile mark yesterday, only 1916 miles to go laugh

Great pic!!
Originally Posted by Coyotejunki
Squats
bench press
bent over rows
overhead press
deadlifts
calf raises
lat pulls

That clean eating stuff is for real. We thought we would miss the junk carbs but not so. We still have high quality carbs and don’t deprive ourselves of the fun stuff every now and then but I feel better at 41 than I did at 25. Way to go Coyote!!
Got 4 miles at an 8:35 pace this afternoon. Had scheduled 6 for my long run but time constraints prevented that. Daughter rode her bike with me for part of my run.
I dropped 10 lbs that I packed on over the holidays eating all the junk we're not supposed too, but now I am stuck, hoping this will break and start losing soon. Chipping away at the mountain. LOL
Posted By: hanco Re: 2022- Fitness Workout thread - 01/24/22
I’m trying to do weights, taking it slow, can see a difference in 3 weeks, don’t want to sit and waste away since I retired.
.5 Mile warm up in 4mins.

4 sets of 20 push-ups, 20 air squats, 10 pull-ups, completed as quickly as possible.

1 mile run, 8 min pace. 10min easy on the stationary bike.
I am shooting for a 100 miles this month. Poured concrete yesterday, no PT time. Am suited up this AM ready to go.
Originally Posted by hanco
I’m trying to do weights, taking it slow, can see a difference in 3 weeks, don’t want to sit and waste away since I retired.

That’s sorta where I’m at too. Trying to figure out a solid plan now that my body isn’t so busy anymore.
Barbell flat bench press 3x10
Incline DB bench 3x10
Push-ups 3x10

20mins stairmaster with 10mins of 1min on/off at the end.
Run log update:

Week 4 (Jan 23-29): 9.2

2022 Total: 38.7 / 4 ( 9.68 / Wk)

Not my best week but tomorrow is nice and sunny and 6 miles should give me a good start to the week.

Got in two strength days as well.
Posted By: Scott Re: 2022- Fitness Workout thread - 01/30/22
Finally got back on the dreadmill this week after a few weeks of the crud. 4 slow short runs with stretching and 30 good form pushups for warmup. Youngest son finally got on the mill too (been pestering him to do so in prep for winter league indoor soccer) and he want to start lifting. Plan to hit the gym tomorrow.
Holy crap, the new bike has an app. Did a 1 hour intervals workout and my legs are jello.

It is nice having data now. HR and cadence don't lie.
5 miles yesterday and today around the neighborhood!
Originally Posted by goalie
Holy crap, the new bike has an app. Did a 1 hour intervals workout and my legs are jello.

It is nice having data now. HR and cadence don't lie.

Exactly. I shoot for 130 HR for an hour every day. That and limiting my carbs and I've lost about 60 pounds.
I wear a heart belt at the gym, it’s kinda cool to watch the calories burn.

A couple of things I learned:
1 the stair master sucks, but burns a lot of calories
2. Weights burn a lot of calories in a short time.

I usually start on a treadmill, 8% incline at 3.7-4 mph for a 5-10 minutes. Usually 10 minutes, some days I a little less.

Then it’s total body work out. My energy levels have went up, that and I started eating more protein and less carbs.
Had a good January with 155 miles on the trails (23 of those with backcountry skis). Not keeping track of elevation this year, but in the 35,000' range.

Definitely on track for 2022 miles. Have some bigger trips in the works, so they'll give me some breathing room too.

Hit my strength training sessions twice a week. Deadlift/squats/bench.overhead press- all up. Sticking with Wendler's 5/3/1 as it works for me.

MTWarden - Curious - is your dog a Queensland or Catahoula?
Originally Posted by PintsofCraft

Chorkie- Yorkshire and Chihuahua- all 12 lbs of him laugh

/Even after missing 7 days, I hit 103 miles for the month of January, headed out this am.
mtwarden ---- my cat is bigger
Originally Posted by elkmen1
mtwarden ---- my cat is bigger

hence the name Tiny Elvis laugh
Originally Posted by PintsofCraft

Chorkie- Yorkshire and Chihuahua- all 12 lbs of him laugh

Ha! He looked bigger in the pic of you skiing.
Sorry- that's my buddies dog in that pic smile he's a heeler - Australian shepherd cross, very nice tempered dog
Wind at 25 today with higher gusts, no treadmill here, going to miss a couple of days uggggg
we're -10 F this morning with 10-15 mph winds; luckily I have a gym I can go to laugh
I've gotten out for 5-6 miles with 25 lbs, but mainly doing spin classes on the new bike.

I've found some "easy on the eyes" instructors.

😁
The usual 5 mile loop today, again. Boring but beneficial!
Originally Posted by shootsacreed

The latest evidence is showing that the majority of training should be in the lower zones, building your base- this is for top tier athletes as well as for us; so "boring but beneficial" is exactly right laugh The other thing that all agree on is consistency is vital.

The vast majority of my trail miles are shorter in duration (3-5 miles), with usually at least one hike/week in the 8-10 mile range. I rarely miss a day a hiking, so the miles add up pretty quickly. When I need/want to, racking up 20-30 mile days isn't an overly big deal. I'm thoroughly convinced that consistent and "boring but beneficial" miles are key to being fit in the mountains.

The latest evidence is showing that the majority of training should be in the lower zones, building your base- this is for top tier athletes as well as for us; so "boring but beneficial" is exactly right laugh The other thing that all agree on is consistency is vital.

The vast majority of my trail miles are shorter in duration (3-5 miles), with usually at least one hike/week in the 8-10 mile range. I rarely miss a day a hiking, so the miles add up pretty quickly. When I need/want to, racking up 20-30 mile days isn't an overly big deal. I'm thoroughly convinced that consistent and "boring but beneficial" miles are key to being fit in the mountains.

Zone 2 HR training. Intervals and speed need to be done, but a lot of zone 2 should be your bread and butter for long term fitness.
Monday morning I did an 8 mile hike on some government easement that surrounds the Mark Twain Lake near my home. We had a tornado go through this area last summer and it knocked down hundreds of tress and some were in the trail. That made it harder than it ever has been, for me. It showed me, at 60 years old that I need some work between now and this fall's elk hunt. I used to ride a bike 60-80 miles a week and think I'll start that up again. Needless to say at the end of that hike I was glad to see my truck.
I just found out that the app included with my Bowflex bike has spin classes.

To clarify. Spin classes taught by cute, fit, ladies in spandex.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Intervals hurt when you're old.
Run log update:

Week 5 (Jan 30-Feb 5): 11.0

2022 Total: 49.7 / 5 ( 9.94 / Wk)

Plus 1 body weight CrossFit workout and 1 Kettlebell workout.
I suffered for 900 calories on the spin bike in the morning

Then got outside for 5 miles after lunch

Run log update:

Week 6 (Feb 6-12): 10.1

2022 Total: 59.8 / 6 ( 9.97 / Wk)

Snow didn’t help as I lost a run day. Got in 2 strength days. Hoping for 3 strength days next week and about 13-15 miles.
skied into a Forest Service cabin for a night mid-week with my daughter and Tiny Elvis (15 miles round trip w/ a 50-ish lb sled)

Sweet pics & looks like a great time! Getting your Nordic on is very important.
The new spin bike doesn't suck. I should have a nice base when it gets warm enough to run again.

looking for something very challenging? give this a go; got 15 (only half way) the first time I tried it, 17 yesterday- lifting today so will skip it, will try tomorrow and continue until I can do the whole damn thing!

6 miles and ~ 2000' today with my wife and Tiny Elvis; 41 miles for the week (15 of those miles on skis) laugh

Ran a half mile in 4:30, then did 30 min on the elliptical, tried to keep my watts over 187.

I purchased the 12wk rucking program performance first, I will start it in June to peak in the middle of September. It appears to be a well rounded program.
Got a 6.6 mile run in today in 58:07. 10k was in 54:31. Good start to this weeks mileage. Warden that push-up challenge looks tough. I’ll have to try it out!
Run log update:

Week 7 (Feb 13-19): 12.5

2022 Total: 72.3 / 7 ( 10.33 / Wk)

Not a bad week with a 6.6 mile run Sunday to start the week. With a body weight workout with some sprints, a kettlebell workout, and a 3.7 mile run. Unfortunately this next week will have to include some treadmill runs. Hate treadmills. If it is cold and the rain here in N. AR stops for a little while I’ll bundle up and go run. Have a great weekend all!
Great thread, gents! You fellas are tough! At 35 with a 2 year old and infant plus work I have plenty of excuses to miss a day. That said, my wife bought one of those fancy peleton bikes last year and it’s been awesome. I was reluctant of the idea, but now I’m the primary user. I am a natural when it comes to distance running, but the bike is more physically challenging for me and easier on the knees and back.

I’m riding that 3-5x a week and am doing body weight exercises. Push-ups, pull-ups, lunges and squats... I do have weights here at home but was having more luck with them before the second kiddo came along.

After a couple of MT hunting trips the past couple of years I’m really trying to work up the nerve to try to convince my wife to leave Texas. It’s just too damn crowded, hot and blah(scenery and topography) around here. Not only that, the hard part would be leaving the grandparents.

Anybody know of any good, non-government forestry jobs in MT/WY/ID?
Long weekends do wonders for getting out regularly for a walk. Three in a row and tomorrow looms!
pretty decent week for me; 36 miles on the trails- 9 miles on snowshoes on Friday- got both of my strength training sessions in as well; still very much on track for 2022 miles smile

Covid slowed me down this week. Still got some spin bike workouts in, and 3-4 mile walks every day.

My son barely got sick, so that's good!
174 miles this year 70 this month.
Been riding my Airdyne bike quite a bit the last month or so. First day it was delivered, I started the Covid Wuhan death plague thing. So had it about a week or so before I ever put it together.

So got in about 80 miles on it in 6 work outs the last week of January. Give this a lot of credit for getting over the Wuhan Flu.

166 miles in 10 workouts for far for February.
Originally Posted by Jeffrey

After a couple of MT hunting trips the past couple of years I’m really trying to work up the nerve to try to convince my wife to leave Texas. It’s just too damn crowded, hot and blah(scenery and topography) around here. Not only that, the hard part would be leaving the grandparents.

Anybody know of any good, non-government forestry jobs in MT/WY/ID?

I would suggest you NOT do that unless for some reason you had to look for a job.

ENJOY what you have. You don't realize how LUCKY you are to live near family AND have a decent job. It doesn't last for ever and you can MOVE any time.
For comparison.....

Run log update:

Week 8 (Feb 20-26): 10.4 miles
Feb Total: 44.0

2022 Total: 82.7 / 8 ( 10.34 / Wk)

Started this week with 6.0 miles today. Hitting the Mountain Tough 22 tomorrow!!
February I got 138 miles in (roughly 35,000' of ascent), about 25 of those miles on snowshoes or backcountry skis

293 miles for the year and pretty close to on track

Got all of my my strength training workouts in (twice a week) and bumped my deadlifts and squats by 10 lbs, bench and overhead press by 5 lbs

I thought I'd been "training" hard for month or more here on my indoor Airdyne bicyle.

Then I had my ass handed to me on my "one hour" ride outside yesterday that took me 76 minutes.
I broke the 200 mile mark yesterday. Left shoulder is still tender from a fall in November, but I am starting to look hard at the bowflex. I need more flexibility and strength training.
Run log update:

Week 9 (Feb 27-Mar 5): 16.3
Mar Total: 16.3

2022 Total: 99.0 / 9 ( 11.00 / Wk)

Plus Mountain Tough 22 on Monday, Kettlebell CrossFit on Wednesday and body weight CrossFit today. The weather this week will require me to be creative with the schedule to get my runs in.

Take care all.
42 miles for the week (324 for the year), including a 10 mile snowshoe in the Elkhorn Mountains. Got both of my street training workouts in, unlike the previous week while I was out of town.

It looks like spring is creeping up towards Montana, love your pictures. My target is to hit 200 annual miles before the end of the month, still in AZ the temps have not gotten to hot yet.
It looks like spring is creeping up towards Montana, love your pictures. My target is to hit 200 annual miles before the end of the month, still in AZ the temps have not gotten to hot yet.
Posted By: cwh2 Re: 2022- Fitness Workout thread - 03/13/22
Been doing a little cross country skiing in all the warm weather. Did about 3/4 of a mile on snowshoes in the copper river valley sugar powder a few weeks back. Postholing up to the nuts 90% of the time and hating life. Was wishing I had my skis the whole time.

I need to look into fat/short skis with skins. I think that could be pretty cool.
Posted By: Scott Re: 2022- Fitness Workout thread - 03/13/22
I'm having a tough time being consistent. Caught the Covid last month and knocked me on my butt. Still tired a lot but I got 3 dreadmill runs each of the last two weeks. Not far and not fast but improving. Plan to get 3 more in this week and maybe add the bike or strength stuff the following. Youngest son (14) has been tearing it up on the treadmill. Oh, to be young...
Originally Posted by cwh2
Been doing a little cross country skiing in all the warm weather. Did about 3/4 of a mile on snowshoes in the copper river valley sugar powder a few weeks back. Postholing up to the nuts 90% of the time and hating life. Was wishing I had my skis the whole time.

I need to look into fat/short skis with skins. I think that could be pretty cool.

I can relate. My last snowshoe outing there was with about an inch ice crust and sugar snow underneath (1-3' depending on where I was at). The inch crust wouldn't keep you afloat at all and it was like stepping on thin ice on a lake- cracking in large chunks. Then you would sink deeply in that crap snow and when you lifted your leg you had to fight both the snow and the crust layer each time- sucked!!!!

I have a pair (actually two, one for my wife) of Altai Hoks- wide, have a long length of skin and universal bindings (use any boots) much more flotation and quicker generally. The drawback for me is descending steeper terrain- I need to get some lessons on slowing/stopping and turning laugh. The skins help a little slowing you down on descents, but I can still pick up too much speed. They climb pretty well, but if really steep (and or icy) snowshoes do much better.
Run log update:

Week 10 (Mar 6-12): 15.9
Mar Total: 32.2

2022 Total: 114.9 / 10 ( 11.49 / Wk)

Had to rearrange the schedule due to some travel but got 2 strength workouts in and 3 good runs. Will start this week with 8 miles today.
39 miles on the trails this week, 369 for the year; weather is starting to improve

two strength training sessions this week, will bump up the lifts for next week

5 miles around the neighborhood.
Posted By: cwh2 Re: 2022- Fitness Workout thread - 03/14/22

I can relate. My last snowshoe outing there was with about an inch ice crust and sugar snow underneath (1-3' depending on where I was at). The inch crust wouldn't keep you afloat at all and it was like stepping on thin ice on a lake- cracking in large chunks. Then you would sink deeply in that crap snow and when you lifted your leg you had to fight both the snow and the crust layer each time- sucked!!!!

I have a pair (actually two, one for my wife) of Altai Hoks- wide, have a long length of skin and universal bindings (use any boots) much more flotation and quicker generally. The drawback for me is descending steeper terrain- I need to get some lessons on slowing/stopping and turning laugh. The skins help a little slowing you down on descents, but I can still pick up too much speed. They climb pretty well, but if really steep (and or icy) snowshoes do much better.

A few years back I drew an archery moose tag on JBER, the combined Army/Air Force base that borders town. Good tag, but I managed to shoot a bull 2 miles from the truck in December. I called a few people and they called a few people. Base reps usually show up and take a tissue sample, etc. They saw where I was and just bailed. Can't blame them there. I butchered the thing solo, but I could hear people approaching. First guy that showed up was a total stranger to me. He was a friend of a friend and wanted to help. On skis with skins, and I have been interested since. He beat people there by 20 minutes. We put a shoulder in his pack and off he went, right around dark. The trail was icy and downright dangerous without spikes. Saw multiple places on the hike out where he had wiped out and tumbled into the alders. That had me reconsidering skis. Got to the truck and the shoulder is in my truck bed and he's gone. Pretty funny.
moose two miles from the truck quickly sorts your friends out laugh
Biking a few miles in the AM with the dog then doing HIIT workouts Monday, Tuesday, Thursday & Friday. Wednesdays are a 10,000 M row, benchmark workout. Made it in 39min 55sec today.
Run Log Update:

Week 11 (Mar 13-19): 16.8
Mar Total: 49.0

2022 Total: 131.7 / 11 ( 11.97 / Wk)

My biggest week this year. Original goal was to run 500 miles this year. If I can get a few big weeks I might be able to average 50 miles a month for 600 this year. We will see. Had 2 strength workouts this week. Hoping to add a 3 strength workout a week and continuing long runs on Sunday’s to prep for a Half Marathon in Nov.
I purchased a 12 week rucking program from Jeff Nichols at Performance First. Mr. Nichols is an exercise physiologist (cscs, tsac), former devgru operator, and knows his stuff when it comes to strength and conditioning prescription.

I'm going to begin the 12wk program in mid June to end at mid September to peak for hunting season. It appears to be a well balanced program geared to prepare you for load bearing rucking in mountainous terrain (albeit not specifically for hunting)
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
I purchased a 12 week rucking program from Jeff Nichols at Performance First. Mr. Nichols is an exercise physiologist (cscs, tsac), former devgru operator, and knows his stuff when it comes to strength and conditioning prescription.

I'm going to begin the 12wk program in mid June to end at mid September to peak for hunting season. It appears to be a well balanced program geared to prepare you for load bearing rucking in mountainous terrain (albeit not specifically for hunting)

You'll have to let us know what you think when you get into it.
37 miles on the trail this week, year total is now 406 miles- only squeezed one strength training session in this week

packed up and headed out tomorrow for a 90 mile snowshoe trip across the Bob Marshall (and Great Bear) Wilderness, hoping to finish Saturday

mtwarden, when you make these extended trips in the "Bob" and otherwise do you carry a handgun with you?
Spring break, so I have 9 days to walk without the interruptions of a job etc. Two for two so far!
mtwarden, when you make these extended trips in the "Bob" and otherwise do you carry a handgun with you?

usually just bear spray; if I'm hunting the early rifle season in there- I have my rifle and bear spray

occasionally I'm accompanying someone else that is hunting (and I'm not) and tthen I'll carry my handgun and bear spray; ditto when I was working in there
Yesterday I did back squat 4x6 up to 225lbs (focusing on form), leg press 4x6 300lbs, one leg squat, and split squat. Then intervals on the treadmill for 2 miles.

Today will be chest with flat bench, incline dumbells, push-ups, and Flys. Probably 30mins on the stationary bike.
I'm not as dedicated as you guys, but I'm down 20 pounds since the first of the year and 20 more to go by September 1st. I've been intermittent fasting and walking 5-6 miles of hilly for Iowa terrain 3 times a week and riding the exercise bike if the weather is too bad. It sure is a lot tougher to get into shape than it was a few decades ago when I just stayed in shape!
Run log update:

Week 12 (Mar 20-26): 13.5
Mar Total: 62.5

2022 Total: 145.2 / 12 (12.10 / Wk)

Missed a run day but got in an extra strength workout. Have a great rest of the weekend all!
40 miles in he past 8 days, I love spring break!
Our six day trip turned into seven; very rough conditions- post holing snow, lots of blowdown to contend with, streaming fords was more hazardous w/ warmer weather (I got swept on one crossing!), sketchy ice crossings, but we made it out alive. 101 miles for the week, about 80 of those on snowshoes.

Standing at 507 miles for the year.

Back to running the past three days. Going slow and easy and building up slowly so as to avoid injury. My goals is back to 3-4 miles per day 5 days a week before the end of summer. Walking the loop on weekends!
I stepped down off of a ladder earlier this week( from third rung to ground) and really fouled up my left quadricep most likely a minor tear or strain. I am having a hell of a time walking around the place, let along walking any distance. So I am frozen at 288 miles for the year,
I follow this thread, you guys do some impressive workouts but the biggest thing I see is consistency.

I live next to the Smokys and spend alot of time there. They are real mountains even though they are east of the Missisippi. 2000 foot climbs are common, some can be close to 4000 feet if you start on the North Carolina side. My wife and I do 5-700 miles a year in the Smokys in addition to a couple of west trips a year.

My question for the collective here: how much jogging do you all do during the year? I normally do 2 days during the week, 3-5 miles, stretching to 6-7 by the time elk season gets here in October. I'm rethinking that and wondering if jogging is really helping me carry a pack around the mountains.

Thoughts?
When I was working, I worked out with a group of Government Smokejumpers, who were required to maintain a very high fitness level , and who ran lots of miles every week. I also ran but not as far. As we all got older the frequency of knee surgerys, and hip injuries increased. As I wanted to avoid those kinds of injuries, I quit jogging on the late 90"s and started hiking, not as much distance but instead of running on the level I focused hiking on hills. I still do too much pavement but I feel it was the right decision. I am in Arizona for the winter, so I do not have many weather days, but lack the elevation that I get when I return back north. A typical week here is 20+ miles walking with an average 200 feet elevation each day. Up north I do slightly less miles, but average 700 feet elevation daily. A month or so before my first season I start carrying a pack with weight in it. I did 1204 miles last year and am 76 yrs old. Last thought , you must wear the best footwear that you can afford
Originally Posted by bwinters
I follow this thread, you guys do some impressive workouts but the biggest thing I see is consistency.

I live next to the Smokys and spend alot of time there. They are real mountains even though they are east of the Missisippi. 2000 foot climbs are common, some can be close to 4000 feet if you start on the North Carolina side. My wife and I do 5-700 miles a year in the Smokys in addition to a couple of west trips a year.

My question for the collective here: how much jogging do you all do during the year? I normally do 2 days during the week, 3-5 miles, stretching to 6-7 by the time elk season gets here in October. I'm rethinking that and wondering if jogging is really helping me carry a pack around the mountains.

Thoughts?

I was late to the running scene (in my 50's), but I ended up going all in- running mountain ultras around the state (and a few out of state). I enjoyed it even more when it was just a group of folks running in the mountains, not a race.

Fast forward 10 years or so and I've pretty much given up on the running, but just hike instead. My mileage is about the same as when I was running (just takes a little longer laugh ). I've noticed no diminished ability in the mountains when elk season rolls around. The transition has cut down the number of injuries to about zero.

IMHO running is great, hiking just as great- maybe even better.
I'm coming to the same conclusion as you 2 guys. We have a couple hundred acre woods near my house that has a trail running around the perimeter. It's 2.1 miles around the loop but only has 200 feet of relief. I do alot of weighted pack hiking over there in preseason. I do 2 loops and try to keep it at 18-19 min/mile with 25-30 lb pack. It is also a good place to trail run.

My normal deal is to lift heavy Jan - April 2 days/wk, aerobic fitness 3 days/ week with one of them on the weekend a long session (2-4 hrs). Many times the long day turns out to be 8-10 hrs and covers 10-20 miles with my standard 22 lb daypack in the Smokys. My other 2 days this time of year are jogging, mainly because I can do it around the house, right after work, and still not run in the dark.

Starting in May I switch to endurance lifting and incorporating HICT and Eustress type lifting twice/week and start serious rucking. I have a mountain road not far from the house that I climb 1/week. It's 1100 feet in 1.5 miles. By season I'll be schlepping 50 lbs up/back. I usually run 1 day during the week and keep my LSD on the weekend. It works well for me in my advanced age (58) eek

My biggest issue this year is calf cramps. After about 2-3 miles, my calves start to cramp. It's not dehydration, it's not stretching/warmup, its not insoles - I've come to the conclusion it's the effects of running on pavement. I've substituted rucking and bike riding for running so far this spring. I'd hate to get to October and figure out that wasn't a good move......
Run log update:

Week 13 (Mar 27-Apr 2): 14.5
Apr Total: 14.5

2022 Total: 159.7 / 13 (12.28 / Wk)

Got in 3 strength workouts and only 2 run days but last Sunday was 7 so I’ll take it. 2nd strength day was the Murph (I modified it so I didn’t die! 😂).

Have a good week all!!

Phil
only 18 miles this week, but considering I was limping on snowshoes just a week ago- a win! smile
Posted By: cwh2 Re: 2022- Fitness Workout thread - 04/04/22
Mt,
Your trip sounds just brutal. Had typed up a response but didn't get it sent. Tell us about getting swept on the crossing? Doesn't sound like you lost anything, but I bet it wasn't fun! Sleeping bag stay dry?
Mt,
Your trip sounds just brutal. Had typed up a response but didn't get it sent. Tell us about getting swept on the crossing? Doesn't sound like you lost anything, but I bet it wasn't fun! Sleeping bag stay dry?

It happened fast and it sucked laugh I put on my mid-layer over the top of the wet base layer and hiked hard for about an hour- this just about dried the top completely. My pants were drying but at a much slower rate. We agreed to stop for supper at the next dry spot and start a fire- it happened to be right next to the trail but there wasn't a soul for 50+ miles so that worked just fine. Got my pants 90+% dry with the fire and the warm food helped a bunch too.

I got lazy when stripping off layers as I have dry bags for all of my clothing (and sleeping bag). My mid-layer was stuffed into the pack, but because it was X Pac and a roll top- the mid-layer was perfectly dry- thank God! My sleeping bag, parka and other clothing were in dry bags so they were good to go. My long johns (Kuiu zip-off Pelotons) were haphazardly put into a back pocket; called a Talon (Seek Outside) and it also happens to be X Pac and have a waterproof zipper- thankfully.

No more getting lazy with my layers when having so many fords to negotiate!!!!!

Posted By: cwh2 Re: 2022- Fitness Workout thread - 04/05/22
Sounds like it went as well as could be expected. We deal with a lot of water at a couple of sheep places, with levels changing all the time. I hate it. Fast water is the only place where weight actually helps you, in that it keeps your from getting swept out, but I would hate to go under with a heavy pack.
I hit the 300 mile mark for the year yesterday, temp in the 90's ughhh.
34 miles for the week; 559 for the year- that'll work smile
Haven't posted much since my legs got fubared last year, but been swimming 3x a week, a lil bike time, doing hiit 2-3x a week and started back running short runs under 6miles the last couple of months. Still got leg pains so been taking it easy yet.
Run log update:

Week 14 (Apr 3-9): 8.6
Week 15 (Apr 10-16): 7.9
Apr Total: 31.0

2022 Total: 176.2 / 15 (11.75 / Wk)

Had a few crap weeks as far as workouts go. But April weather here in AR didn’t help, and our 20th anniversary trip was worth it. Hoping to get back on track this week.
2 mile base line ruck with 35lbs for time. 31:06.
38 miles for the week, 597 for the year; got both strength training days in
Back squat, walk lunges with weights, leg press. Half mile run, 4:00mins. Weighted ruck for 22mins.
Had a good week, 42 miles (and a ton of ascent!) for the week, 639 for the year; got both my strength training sessions in as well.

Being retired must be awesome. Even more awesome being in shape to do cool schiet.
Being retired must be awesome. Even more awesome being in shape to do cool schiet.

definitely helping to stay more consistent with workouts not having to go to work, which is good as my bucket list is long laugh
Hit the 400 mile mark a couple of days ago. Will be traveling back north next week so my daily average is going t take a nosedive.
156 miles for the month, 671 miles for the year- on track for 2022 miles for the year; got both my 5/3/1 strength train sessions in this past week and hit two a week for the month- getting back into the swing strength training

little snowshoeing on Tuesday

Run Log Update:
Week 17 (Apr 24-30): 13.6
Apr Total: 54.6

2022 Total: 199.8 / (11.75 / Wk)

A better week than the previous 3. It was a crazy busy week and I missed my strength days. Hoping to get back on track with those this week.

9 mile run in the morning should give me a good start to next week.
Posted By: ribka Re: 2022- Fitness Workout thread - 05/02/22
Had a good week, 42 miles (and a ton of ascent!) for the week, 639 for the year; got both my strength training sessions in as well.

great pic. good to see the sun
Slacking a bit this because of rain every day and all trails really muddy. Did 7 miles today, Gym upper body tomorrow.

Doing 30 min in 190 sauna 4 to 5 times a week followed by a swim or dunk in the lake. feels great

shut up and pay my retirement and get back to work. lol
decent week- 35 miles w/ a lot of climbing, hit both my strength training days too; passed the 700 mile mark for the year, on my way to 2022 miles! laugh

Posted By: pal Re: 2022- Fitness Workout thread - 05/08/22
decent week- 35 miles w/ a lot of climbing, hit both my strength training days too; passed the 700 mile mark for the year, on my way to 2022 miles! laugh

Great shot.
Started my rucking program today......yikes.

Sled drag for 60 meters 135lbs
Farmers walk for 60 meters with two 90lb dumbells
Walking lunges 60 meters
12 pull-ups.

1 to work/rest ratio, complete circuit 5 times.

No more booze.
6 sets of 6 reps deadlift at 225lbs
30 pull-ups (I had to break them up in incriminate and use bands to assist)
5 sets of 7 reps bent over barbell 145lbs
Seated row 5 sets of 10 reps at 170lbs
30 pull-ups (again, broken up and assisted)
Cable Lat flexion 5 sets of 10.
800 meter 80lb ruck, as quickly as possible jogging allowed
1200 meter 50lb ruck as quickly as possible jogging allowed
400 meter walking lunges.

Was a quick but rugged day.
5x8 back squats
6x8 leg press super set with one leg squat (other leg supported on plyo box)
8x12 Romanian dead lift
Good week for me- 45 miles w/ a lot of vert, two solid strength training days. 755 miles for the year. Should have another good week coming up, have a couple of new (to me) peaks I want to bag.

Two mile timed ruck with 30lbs. Goal was to beat my previous time of 31:06 by 20 seconds. No jogging allowed.

Got it done in 29:11. Then I dumped the pack and ran another half mile just to shake the legs out.
4 sets of 60 meter lunges (carrying 35lb kettlebell)
20 reps single leg elevated squats
20 reps of rdl's @170lbs
20 reps of elevated glute flex thingys

It was supposed to be 5 sets but I can barely walk...
Deadlift 6x5 70% (245lbs)
25 pull-ups (broke them up into clusters, and used assistance)
5x8 bent over barbell rows 145lbs
20 pull-ups (could only complete 15)
5x12 seated row 155lbs
15 pull-ups
5 sets 30sec Cable lat flexion 45lbs

Smoked again.

Rucking tomorrow....
Rucking day. Started with 70lbs. Every 400 meters drop 10 pounds, every drop in weight try to beat the time of previous 400 meters.

Once all weight is dropped, 60 meters walking lunges.
Another good week- 44 miles w/ a ton of vert (799 for the year) and got two good strength training sessions in. I've added a set at the end of deadlifts/squats/bench/overhead press- what Wendler refers to as "first set last"- as many reps as possible at 65% of 1RM on the 5/5/5+ day, at 70% on the 3/3/3+ day and 75% on the 5/3/1+ day. Good way to add a little volume.

40 meters walking lunges w/ dumbells
20 pull-ups
60 meters farmers walk w/ dumbells
20 push-ups
100 meter sled pull 170lbs (I had to drop to 130)

Complete 4 cycles of circuit
2 mile 40lb flat terrain ruck today. Got it done in 27:46. Almost two minutes faster than my 30lb 2 mile ruck two weeks ago.
Posted By: cwh2 Re: 2022- Fitness Workout thread - 05/24/22
JH, your rucking program sounds like an asskicker.
JH, your rucking program sounds like an asskicker.

Most days are pretty brutal. And I've been lowering the weight percentage most days in order to maintain form and complete the sets/reps.

I am hopeful that this program will provide me with the needed muscular strength/endurance to go day after day after day. Got some big plans this year and I need to be able to hit it hard every day for up to two weeks if need be.
Back squat 10 sets of 10 reps. 2mins to complete reps and rest. 55% of 3rm.

Deadlift 8 sets of 8 reps same rep to rest period. 55% of 3rm.
Barbell 12 sets of 6 reps / super set with 3 pull-ups
Lat pull down 6 sets 12 reps 155lbs super set with 12 reps of cable face pulls.
1000 meter ruck with 90lbs followed by 1600 meter ruck with 45lbs as fast as possible.

100 meters of walking lunges.
just got back from my annual Memorial Day across the Bob Marshall trip-we made it out last night at about 8:30- 79 miles, 9700' of gain, on snow 40+ of the miles, lots of swift fords to contend with, lots of blowdown, lots of cold, rained all (all!) of Monday, but yeah we had fun laugh

Still digging the arrowhead mdwi?
Still digging the arrowhead mdwi?

I am, but didn't bring it this trip. I used a lighter mid-layer- it's a Rab Alpha Flash- use Alpha Direct like the mdwi, but it's straight Alpha Direct, no outer fabric. Worked pretty well. I almost always had another layer over the top of it a windshirt or hardshell. It breathes so well that wind goes right through it (ditto on moisture), but it definitely provides insulation and move moisture outward.

It lacks hood though which is a drawback.
5 sets bench press max reps 64% of 1rm
Decline bench 6 sets 16 reps 135lbs
Chest dips 4 sets 6 reps
80lb ruck. Every 400m tak 10lbs out. Continue until empty. Each 400m faster than the last.

100m walking lunges
Heads up for the physically fit crowd, tactical distributors is having a 25% off sale for sitka arrowhead clothing...just an FYI
Heads up for the physically fit crowd, tactical distributors is having a 25% off sale for sitka arrowhead clothing...just an FYI

Nice smile
Went for a hike today.

8.5 miles with 2700ft of elevation gain on the 4 miles up to 10k ft. I'm smoked.
solid week- 38 miles with a lot of vert; got both strength training workouts too

slowly creeping up to the 1000 mile mark smile
Deadlift 85% of bodyweight (185lbs) 7sets of 7, followed by 7 pull-ups so 7x7 pull-ups.

Bent over rows 5x8 135lbs followed by 3 pull-ups

Two .25 mile sprints, then 2 miles of rucking 45lbs.

Was a good day.
About 70 meters of walking lunges

2 sets of 20 air squats / 20 push-ups

1 Mile run in 8:32. Then I rucked to 20 minutes with 25lbs.

Kind of an active rest day, I needed a break.
Hang clean and push press 3x8 at 135lbs
Kettle bell goblet squats 60lbs 3x10
Pull-ups/ push-ups

.5 miles in 3:48, followed by a 1 mile ruck with 45lbs.
4x10 kettle bell swings 45lbs, 50lbs, 60lbs, 70lbs.
One arm kettle bell clean and press 45lbs 4x8
Jump lunges 3x8
Sled sprints 130lbs 4 sets of 40 meters.

Drew a couple good elk tags, gotta get in the best physical condition I can.
Roughly the same schedule for me every week. I mix up the lifts every workout. The only lifts that stays the same are clean/jerk on Mondays and snatches on Thursday. Following is always a 3 lift circuit with a "big" lift, push, pull - Monday posterior chain focus on big lift, Thursday more knee forward big lift. Try to go three weeks without repeating a lift. Aux circuit is usually something range of motion/rehab related and core related.

Sunday:
Boxing training, some thai mixed in, sparring

Monday:
Clean/jerk - warm up/work up gradually doing singles, 5 or 6 sets of singles once up to working weight, 1 minute rest between sets
Circuit: several light warmup rounds, 3 work rounds, 1 min rest between rounds, no rest between lifts in circuit
Clean pulls
Bar Shoulder press
Pullups (bar)
Light aux circuit: 3 rounds, no rest between lifts or rounds
Calf raise
Static abs
Rev Hypers

Tuesday:
12, 3 min rounds, alternating rounds between double end bag and thai bag
1 min on elliptical between rounds

Wed:
Light boxing, 10 rounds, lot so stretching/recovery

Thursday:
Snatch - - warm up/work up gradually doing singles, 5 or 6 sets of singles once up to working weight, 1 minute rest between sets
Circuit: several light warmup rounds, 3 work rounds, 1 min rest between rounds, no rest between lifts in circuit
High Bar Squats
Dips on rings
Chinups (rings)
Light aux circuit: 3 rounds, no rest between lifts or rounds
Int/ext sh rotations
Leg raises
Stiff legged dl

Friday:
MMA training, mainly ground work, sparring
Been away for a while. Running weeks have dipped as we ended the school year. But this past week was my best running week since March. 6 miles last Sunday plus runs Tue and Thu and kettlebell or body weight workouts Mon and Wed plus I’ll wrap up with another KB workout today. Feels good to get back in it.

Run log

Week 24 (Jun 12-18): 14.7
Jun Total: 36.5

2022 Total: 275.3 / 24 ( 11.47 / Wk)
29 miles on the trails last week, not too bad considering I was on vacation all. I’m just 3 miles shy of a 1000 miles- still on track for my goal of 2022 miles.

No strength training though; nose to the grindstone when I get back laugh
Will be working on a seasonal cardiovascular exercise the next couple of days. Got out the scythe this morning and tuned up the edge with a whetstone and will heading out shortly to cut Hogweed, Canadian and Bull thistles.

It will be in the 90s today and tomorrow with high dew points so expecting a good work out.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
That will get you breathing hard.
Posted By: cwh2 Re: 2022- Fitness Workout thread - 06/21/22
Roundoak,
Please dress in all black. And if a car drives by, take a break. Hold the scythe blade up and just watch the car until it's out of sight.
Sunday:
Boxing, muay thai, sparring

Monday:
Cleared fence rows to celebrate Juneteenth. Messed up my WO schedule and was tougher than a day at work.

Tuesday:
Clean/jerk - warm up/work up gradually doing singles, 5 or 6 sets of singles once up to working weight, 1 minute rest between sets
Hang Snatches (catch in power, not full squat)
Powerlifting Squat (low bar, shins vertical)
DB Bench
DB Rows
...adding the hang olympic lifts to the circuit this week wore me out, no aux circuit

Wednesday:
1 min on elliptical between rounds

Thursday:
Snatch - - warm up/work up gradually doing singles, 5 or 6 sets of singles once up to working weight, 1 minute rest between sets
Hang Cleans (catch in power, not full squat)
Lunges
DB Incline
Lat Pulldowns
...again, to lazy to do aux

I'll take tomorrow off. Work day at hunting club Saturday so I'll rest up for it.
decent week- 32 miles on the trails, ~ 7000' of ascent

got two strength train sessions in- squats/bench and deadlifts/overhead press; it Wendler's 1st week of a new progression, so 5/5/5+ at 65/75/85% of 1 RM- I've started doing his first set last too which is amrap @ 65%- got pretty close to 20 reps with those last sets, so something is working smile
After a week vacation, back on the grind.

Explosive work, moving the bar fast.

8x6 front squats with 135lbs
6x12 rdl's 135lbs
6x8 jump split squats bodyweight
3 135lbs sled drags for 1:30

Then i ran a mile and rucked some.

102 days until opening day.
Well we are essentially 1/2 way thru the year, and I tallied up my mileage at 546 so far. Lots of trails and road mileage. I got back home in May and am also now averaging 500 feet elevation on a daily basis. Hope to continue at this pace through the rest of the year. So far only one elk tag but I am trying to remain optimistic about one more coming on a second chance draw.
For Gunner500

Thanks for posting the pics JWP, i appreciate it greatly.

I read these fitness pages for inspiration from you young bucks, i have no access to a gym or dojo, dont have weights for sets etc, etc, i can tell you guys one thing, short and long handled sledge hammers, a six pack of wedges, 8lb splitting maul and a couple big Stihl saws will wear a man smooth out in this heat, been working the last 10 days for 4-5 hours starting at sunrise took the weekend off on this big cow killer of a forked red oak, happened by it on the tractor to notice the big split in the trunk, that tree is under a hill, had a massive canopy, a favorite hangout for cattle in high winds and stormy weather, that forked beast could have killed 20-30 head laying under it, no way for them to move if it let go, it's bad enough cutting it up this time of year, would have been much worse cutting it off 25 dead or maimed head of cattle, not to mention the expense.

Added another hickory tree to the split pile today, took the split wood pic yesterday standing on toolbox, have another hickory and one more water oak to finish splitting, get piled in tractor loader bucket and dumped on top of the hill to go, it will make great seasoned wood for the Winter of '23, i'm 60 and an old worn out broke down pos, funny how farm work can pop up and really put an old guy to the test, this will make carrying 10.5 and 11 pound rifles easy this fall tracking buffalo in Africa. cool

And whoever said you have to get those legs moving to get cardio hasn't swung an 8lb splitting maul in hot weather, cant figure that one out myself, do know i'm getting my ass kicked ; ]

But many thanks anyway for the inspiration men.
Jerry, there's no doubt that will keep a man busy and "worked out". I split a lot of wood growing up. We burned it and my Dad sold firewood on the side....he had cheap labor. When you have to split some sweet gum call Jackson_Handy or mtwarden....I'm not man enough. I split more than one sledge hammer handle driving wedges trying to split sweet gum growing up. Sweet gum is a different animal.

Sunday:
Boxing, muay thai, sparring

Monday:
Had to work through lunch and didn't get to train

Tuesday:
Hang Snatches (catch in power, not full squat)
Sumo Deadlift
Weighted dips
Pullups

Wednesday:
1 min on elliptical between rounds (30 sec forward/30 sec reverse)

Today:
Hang Cleans (catch in power, not full squat)
Front Squats
Standing alternating DB Shoulder press
Underhand-grip lat pulldowns
....this circuit killed my shoulders and core...

Tomorrow I'll box.
LOL, you bet buddy Jay, btdt, sawed down a sweet gum early in my kid firewood career, came down on a block with double bit ax, damn near split my forehead wide open, rubber wood, went and got Gramps, he shook his head, "saw those sombitches up into rounds, roll em outta the pasture road, come back with hammer and wedges in about three years!" crazy LOL, i finally got em split and sold after they dried out.

You guys be careful, and happy training, do not squander your youth ; ]
In the late 70's/early 80's I made a living with a chain saw; funny never worked out a day in those four years- yet when elk season came around I could go up and down the mountains with very little effort. Funny how humping a 20# chainsaw, oil & gas and a gallon of water up and down the mountains requires no gym grin
Funny stuff but true MTW, i'm to beat up for the weight room, or training like JCM does, i always really hated getting hit in the head ; ]......... or even looking for the latest pack and boots for mountain hiking etc, with left knee orthoscopic surgery, right knee meniscus tears, right shoulder rotator cuff tears, spinal fusion in 1992, c6 compression fracture, ping pong ball bone shattered off right elbow, funny how the injuries add up over the years, heck, i cant even do a 40 pushup routine deal i read about on the internet, they got easier after the third day, did them too fast and pulled three ribs loose from sternum LOL.

But, getting in slow grind mode in the wood pile with wedges, hammers and maul an older guy can still get a hell of a workout, as i'm in that work zone my mind keeps wondering what the hell happened, the difference between a 30 and 60 years old is absolutely mind blowing, main thing for me is to never give in or give up, cant stop. wink
Originally Posted by gunner500
, main thing for me is to never give in or give up, cant stop. wink

true that!
In the late 70's/early 80's I made a living with a chain saw; funny never worked out a day in those four years- yet when elk season came around I could go up and down the mountains with very little effort. Funny how humping a 20# chainsaw, oil & gas and a gallon of water up and down the mountains requires no gym grin

Funny how 40 years in that context ain't just accumulated wisdom, either.......
Originally Posted by smokepole

laugh

laugh

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^cool^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Pretty good week here- 38 miles with a gob of ascent, 1069 miles for the year. Two solid strength days (getting back on track with the strength workouts). Bagged Casey Peak w/ my training buddy on Friday- 12 miles round trip with 3700' of gain in the first half.

Just finished the Mtn Tough Devils 55. Not fun but I’m done for the day.
Heavy sled drags, kettle bell clean and press then a 20min 45lb ruck, followed by some sprint intervals.

Just bought another bow so looks like I'm bow hunting in September too.
Yeah, just work your azz off 5 days a week and you'll be in shape - no problem.

Alpine deer opener here in 4 weeks - I better get with it grin
Deadlift (135,225, 275, sets of 8) leg press, 90lb sled drags, 45lb ruck.
Posted By: ribka Re: 2022- Fitness Workout thread - 07/06/22
Heavy sled drags, kettle bell clean and press then a 20min 45lb ruck, followed by some sprint intervals.

welcome to adulthood jr
Originally Posted by ribka

welcome to adulthood jr

Assuming this response is primarily concerning the archery portion of my post?

I've bow hunted before, never to seriously. I really enjoy shooting a bow, and the weather is always better. But I've always been kinda "meh" when it comes to bow hunting. The only reason I'm getting back into it is to increase my hunt time for a good tag.
Still rucking 4-5x/wk but also folding in some fasting up to 20hrs to kill any remaining body fat that I can.
Pretty good week for me- 40 miles (1109 for the year) with just under 10,000' of gain (3000' of it bagging Elkhorn Peak yesterday). Both strength sessions were solid as well.

Supposed to fly out to California this Friday for our attempt at the 200 mile Sierra High Route, my partner just informed his daughter and son both tested positive for Covid and he came down sick yesterday, so we'll see????

Decent week- 27 miles w/ ~ 7000' of gain; two good strength training sessions- pretty close to HIIT training at a little under 20 minutes

5 rounds of 5 reps @ 75% of 1 RM of squats/bench & 10 pullups- 60 second rest between rounds, did the same thing later in the week with deadlifts/overhead press/chinups - heart rate was up there!

My trip is pushed back (and cut back) to this next weekend and now a 8 day trip vs a 14 day trip- my buddy's whole family got hit with covid

Mount Sentinel yesterday (6 miles/2000') with my grandson, son-in-law and Tiny Elvis

Nice work grandpa. I've cut back on weight training, my knee's been acting up. Had an MRI last week, torn meniscus needs to be scoped. After the season of course.

Did a hike last week, two miles in, 1,700 vertical, did fine on the way in but coming back out downhill made the knee cranky. Thank goodness for ibuprofen.

So, been riding my bike every day, about an hour loop. Pain free on the knee, and seems like a good cardio workout as long as I push the pace. s.Need to do a few more training hikes just to see how much the knee can tolerate on consecutive days.
Meniscus problems definitely seem to be prevalent for folks that hike/run a lot; my daughter tore one during a mountain race, but fortunately was able to forego surgery. Knock on wood, my knees have remained uninjured up this juncture (ish I could say the same with calves, feet, achilles and a few tendons near the ankles)

Best of luck with yours!
Thanks MT!
I'm jumping in...

4 mile flat hike along the Hudson River this morning. I'm on vacation, so getting some exercise to work off the vacation IPAs and hot wings.

As I mentioned in another post I have a Cow Elk hunt in mid-November at altitude in Utah. Looking to shift from strength training with hikes to more of a cardio based training and less weight on the bar and higher reps.
3.2 semi hilly hike today.
Posted By: cwh2 Re: 2022- Fitness Workout thread - 07/26/22
I started my "too little too late" (TLTL) workout plan last week. Squats, deads, pullups presses. Step up on a 20" bench for warm up, cool down, and a little cardio. Will do some running and riding the bike. First couple squat sessions suck!
Dude, it's almost August, what were you thinking?
Posted By: cwh2 Re: 2022- Fitness Workout thread - 07/27/22
Dude, I know. Been busy. Plus, I'm lazy...
Not me, I've been training so hard, I'm afraid I'll make it to the top of the mountain too soon.
4.6 mile hilly hike today. Still on vacation. Will add weights to the regimen when I get home.
I hit the 600 mile last week. Temperature is hovering in the high 90's so I have to go out early. Still sweating like a pig.
Got out of the Sierra’s yesterday. Great trip through some great country- 90-ish miles and a $hit ton of gain/loss! Swimming in the ocean and flying home tomorrow.
Been riding my bike about 5 days/week, finally clocked it at a 16 mile loop.
few pics from the Sierra trip; will definitely pay another visit smile

Nice! You fellers travel light.
Out of exercise mode for a few days while getting thru Covid, ugh.

pretty light, but with a 2.5 lb bear canister (required), 8 days of food, 4-ish lbs of water- pack was pushing 35+ lbs, at least for the first few days anyways
Posted By: Ed_T Re: 2022- Fitness Workout thread - 08/04/22
Mike,

What is the tent in the foreground? The brown colored one.
Originally Posted by Ed_T
Mike,

What is the tent in the foreground? The brown colored one.

Ed- a MLD Solomid
Posted By: Ed_T Re: 2022- Fitness Workout thread - 08/05/22
Thanks
First time posting in this thread for me. I've been doing 5BX nearly everyday for the past two years, after not really being active unless hunting. I'm middle age, but am using the charts in 5BX for flying crew half my age. If I can do it, anyone can.

This spring I started going back to the gym. And this summer I started weighted pack training. I do some sort of physical activity six days per week and take one day off completely.

Yesterday I did kettlebell swing, one arm; kettlebell shoulder press; barbell bent row; goblet squat; simulated sled push on treadmill (new favorite); 30 minutes on stationary bike at low heart rate.

Today is supposed to be weighted pack day, but man I am sore from yesterday!
^ welcome aboard!

decent week for me- 33 miles (about 9000' of gain) and after a almost three week hiatus, got my two strength training sessions in smile
Did a couple of training/scouting hikes this weekend. I'd post the mileage and elevation but not right after Mt posted his.

Found the spot we'll be going back to in September for elk.
^ welcome aboard!

decent week for me- 33 miles (about 9000' of gain) and after a almost three week hiatus, got my two strength training sessions in smile

Thanks man!

That seems like a heck of a week!
Today was my rest day. Yesterday I just walked the dog for a total of roughly seven miles in two sessions.

pretty light, but with a 2.5 lb bear canister (required), 8 days of food, 4-ish lbs of water- pack was pushing 35+ lbs, at least for the first few days anyways

Mt, Any recommendations for a bear cannister? Bears aren't a big problem and it's not required but I'm thinking about hiking in to make a food stash pre-season.

So I'd be looking for the lightest possible. Thanks in advance.

Mt, Any recommendations for a bear cannister? Bears aren't a big problem and it's not required but I'm thinking about hiking in to make a food stash pre-season.

I used a Bearvault 500- it holds a weeks worth of food w/ a little finagling. It weighs 2.5 lbs. Bearikade makes a carbon fiber one (Blazer) at roughly the same volume (700-ish cubic inches) and weighs 2 lbs even.

The Blazer is $350 vs $85 for the BearVault, not sure that's worth the price difference.

They both come in various sizes too, so you can pick the right one for the amount of food you want to haul.

I used a Bearvault 500- it holds a weeks worth of food w/ a little finagling. It weighs 2.5 lbs. Bearikade makes a carbon fiber one (Blazer) at roughly the same volume (700-ish cubic inches) and weighs 2 lbs even.

The Blazer is $350 vs $85 for the BearVault, not sure that's worth the price difference.

They both come in various sizes too, so you can pick the right one for the amount of food you want to haul.

Thanks. I was looking at the 11 liter BV500, glad to hear you like it.
I am at 660 miles for the year, weather hotter than hell, has made me lazy for a few weeks, but I still have a 3 mile per day average with somewhere around 500 feet elevation. Screwed up my wrist (in a brace now ) so weights are out of the question. Doing well for my age, closing in on 77 now and watch my cookie and ice cream intake as best as I can. It seems like I am nursing some injury all of the time and it makes me irritable (at least my wife thinks so) and not as focused as I should be. Have elk tags in two states and looking forward to fall.
90 minutes today with ~50 pack.

Yesterday was a gym day; weight machines and 45 minutes on the stationary bike with HR below 180 - age as my guideline.
How are you fueling up?

Breakfast. 3 scrambled eggs

Snack. Around a quarter pound of chipped roast beaf.

Lunch. Rolled oats with fruit and milk....protein shake.

Snack: PB on a few Triscuts

Dinner: ????

Workout: Treadmill 30 minutes

Benchpress 4x10....Inclined press 4x10...Barbell curles 4x10...Barbell rows....4x10...Wheel rollouts...2x10...Box stepups...1x10.
Originally Posted by battue
How are you fueling up?

Breakfast. 3 scrambled eggs

Snack. Around a quarter pound of chipped roast beaf.

Lunch. Rolled oats with fruit and milk....protein shake.

Snack: PB on a few Triscuts

Dinner: ????

breakfast goes every other day like this- granola/fruit/whole milk w/ a slice of pumpkin bread one day, the other day is 2 eggs cooked in green salsa on two tortillas w/ refried beans spread on them w/ a generous helping of shredded cheese on top and lots of coffee!

snack- usually a yogurt and fruit

lunch- sometimes a sandwich, sometimes leftovers

afternoon snack- fruit and a KIND (or other) bar

supper- varies wildly- pizza, steak, Vietnamese food, Cajun, Italian- you name it, my wife went to culinary school and likes to cook- lucky me!

I kept track of daily calories several years ago (it was quite high), but my weight doesn't vary more than couple of pounds either way, so whatever I'm consuming doesn't seem to be too much (or too little) laugh
Posted By: ribka Re: 2022- Fitness Workout thread - 08/10/22
Just finished a 6 day back pack into an area south ofmeeteetse WY chasing Yellowstone cuts. Around 7 miles in. 8000 feet. Pack in and pack out kind of sucked as temps hit over both days . Sighted a few grizzlies. Fishing was outstanding

I’ve had enough peak wilderness pantries to last awhile till elk season starts in a few weeks. They really back you up and I took extra fiber pills. Lol
Last week I logged 35 miles (8000’-ish ); got both strength trainings in- getting back on track with the lifting

Been going very early for my hiked (a few starting out with a headlamp)- our heat wave has persisted for a full month- unprecedented for Montana.

Got to see some nice sunrises though

Covid in the rear view mirror. 3.2 mile hilly hike today.
Hit the 700 mile mark for the year this week. As am I back home I will be more regular and add a pack with some weight soon. Temps in the 90's kind of stifle my ambition.
decent week- 33 miles (just 7000' of gain), hit both strength workouts- 1347 miles for the year, still on track for 2022 miles for the year me thinks
Do you guys plan for a peak week, and ease into your hunts a few weeks out, or just charge ahead with the training?

As I understand it, the thought of the peak week is to give your body a break before the hunt where you don't do heavy pack training, heavy weights, etc. Assuming that all the strength and cardio building has been established in the months prior. It seems like the trainers suggest keeping active, but avoiding any activities that increase risk of injury.

That peak week strategy seems to make sense to me, but I haven't been going near full throttle for the past several months either!
^ I call it a taper period, probably the same thing.

I pull back the strength training (lower weight, more reps) and weighted rucks two weeks prior to the season. I keep my regular hiking (maybe a little less) as is.

My weighted ruck training starts about 8 weeks out at 30 lbs (half a sand bag), move that to 45 for a couple of weeks, then 60 lbs and then the last two weeks back to 30 lbs (the taper).
Thanks mtwarden. Sounds like the same strategy. I've heard it called deloading too.
.5 mile run, 20 push-ups, 20 air squats X 3, 30reps 30lb curls, 10 burpees, .5 mile weighted vest run (20lbs) 400meters w/gas mask, 20 push-ups, 20 air squats X 3, 30reps 30lb curls, 10 buroees, 60 sit-ups, 45 second plank. 24:30.

It really kicked my butt, I need to increase my Vo2max
My 'B" day workout

Shoulder front lifts
Rear Deltoid workout with bands
military dumbbell lifts
curls
reverse curls
Pec deck workout
incline dumbbell curls for the long head
tricep push downs
3.2 mile hike
Pretty good week for me- 42 miles (1389 for the year) and just shy of 10,000' of ascent; both strength training sessions in. Bagged Casey Peak yesterday, that added nearly 4000' of gain to the week.

The beginning of the month I added an additional set to Wendlers program- he calls it "first set last". You take the first set weight (varies from 65-75% of your 1 Rep Max depending on the week) and use it for your last set- as many reps as possible- definitely adds decent volume (and some the soreness! laugh )

My "A" day workout today:

Trap bar squats
Good mornings
Trap bar shrugs
Lat pull downs
Lat straight bar pull down
Ab leg lifts
3.2 mile hilly hike
OK week considering the heat- 32 miles (1421 for the year), probably in the 7000' gain range for the week; both strength workouts in. Another week or two I'll start rucking some weight before our big game opener
Posted By: ribka Re: 2022- Fitness Workout thread - 09/05/22
20 miles this week,40 lb pack, hiking poles dang hot weather.

plus mountain biking and pickle ball

3 days upper body, core,

heading out archery elk this week
Posted By: ribka Re: 2022- Fitness Workout thread - 09/05/22
20 miles this week,40 lb pack, hiking poles. right knee bothering me so biked more

dang hot weather.

mountain biking and pickle ball

3 days upper body, core,

heading out archery elk this week
^ best of luck Sir! smile
Did four miles today with 900 elevation gain, coming up on 800 miles this year. Will start with a weighted pack soon.
Not much for me the last 2 weeks. Had a knee scoped to get a meniscus cleaned up so legs are out.

Quick workout today:
Dynamic effort bench: 9 sets of 3, alternating grips between sets (narrow, normal, wide), w/bands for speed, 30 sec rest between sets
Superset, 1 min rest between rounds:
DB Incline: 3x10
Lat Pulldown: 3x10

Forgot what a workout without total body and olympic lifts was like. May have to shave my body and oil up.
My 77th birthday is this week, did over 3 miles today and 900 feet elevation. Also hit the 800 mile mark. The weather has turned FALL LIKE, cool morning's , and breezy
^ Happy Birthday!

I had a pretty good week- 45 miles and 10,000' + of gain; three day sheep hunt in the Cabinet Mtns with a buddy's father-in-law who had a tag. No ram but at that point it was archery only, switches to rifle this week. Didn't get any strength training though, which is typical this time of year.

Another good week- 41 miles and ~ 12,000'. Four days hunting with a buddy in the backcountry for mule deer (special permit was his); he passed on a very good deer (pretty sure I wouldn't have passed!). Great hunt nonetheless right smack dab in God's country smile

Well, been working on the cable machine? i guess it's called for a couple months now, 12-15 reps of hands on a bar and pushing down to waist then back to level and back down again, good workout with two 45 lb plates, lat pulldown bar has 140 lbs on it, 12-15 reps there too, 12-15 reps with 35lb dumbell curls seated on bench, 3 to 4 sets on all, 3-3.5 miles on Wifes treadmill maxing out at 3.5 mph at 15% incline, plenty for my old butt and packing a double rifle tracking buffalo in Africa before long, slow and steady as not to tear anything up before then LOL!

Happy and safe training Men!
Finished the week with 36 miles (about 7000' of gain); 1547 for the year

I've been doing some bodyweight training- pullups/pushups/lunges/air squats/etc; probably won't be back in the gym until after hunting season
Another decent week- 33 miles (~6000' of gain); haven't lifted in awhile, but hitting some bodyweight stuff of late- pushups/pullups/air squats/lunges/core.

Packing up for another backcountry trip with my buddy who is hunting for a BIG mule deer buck.
I hit the 900 mile mark for the year , 22 miles and 3,600 plus elevating for the last 7 days. According to my tracker. I am averaging 3.2 mile a day. Headed to Wyoming next week and the mileage will go up as will as elevation climbs
Nice trip into the mountains chasing mule deer with a buddy (he's still looking) and then an antelope trip to the the southeast part of the state over the weekend chasing antelope, helped rack up 55 miles for the week (1635 miles for the year). Packed an antelope 4 miles, that's a record for antelope for me smile

I packed two bulls off the mountain last night and today. Feet are hamburger, everything else feels goods. I will get mine butchered tomorrow.

6.5 creed and 140 eldm's were money.
Buddy and I went into the backcountry on September 30th for mule deer. Shot mine on the evening of the 4th after a trip back to the truck to resupply. He shot his on the 7th. Packed up and left on the 8th. Made four trips back to the truck (resupply once, empty; 2x meat only; once to pack up camp and leave).

I took the 9th off. Today, the 10th, I did kettlebell swings, kettlebell presses, and kettlebell rows. And 40 minutes on the stationary bike.

I still have a bear tag to fill.
Congrats Gents!
Decent week- 32 miles (1667 miles for the year) and ~ 6000' of gain; got back to the gym for some lighter strength training- 5 rounds (60 sec rest between rds) of 5 reps @ 70% of 1RM- squats/bench on one day. deadlifts/overhead press the other along w/ 10 reps pullups w/ squats/bench, 10 chin-ups w/ deadlifts/overhead press

Pretty sore the next day with both workouts, that's what happens when you skip a month of strength training!!! laugh
After being a gym rat for the last 4 decades doing the “Bro split”, changed things up about 3 years ago. Injuries and age.

Never did deadlifts until then. Have had back surgery 17 years ago for a blown disc and blew another about 4 years ago. Started this program which concentrates on big, multi-joint lifts. Deadlifts are a part of it.

Started very light at the beginning. Deadlifts have cured my back problems. Am deadlifting close to 400#’s now which I never would have thought possible considering my back pain 3 years ago

https://www.t-nation.com/training/lifting-3-days-a-week-is-best/

Cardio and calves on Tuesday and Thursday

You old bastards need to get on it!
Decent week- 32 miles (1667 miles for the year) and ~ 6000' of gain; got back to the gym for some lighter strength training- 5 rounds (60 sec rest between rds) of 5 reps @ 70% of 1RM- squats/bench on one day. deadlifts/overhead press the other along w/ 10 reps pullups w/ squats/bench, 10 chin-ups w/ deadlifts/overhead press

Pretty sore the next day with both workouts, that's what happens when you skip a month of strength training!!! laugh

Man, I'm in the same boat. I started focusing more on strength training now that my hunting seasons are winding down. Kettlebell squats and swings, and heavy overhead presses and rows. Just have a fall bear tag, and will probably chase grouse the rest of the year. Looking forward to it.
Pretty good week- 43 miles (1710 for the year); went elk hunting yesterday first I've hunted an opener in 34 years- not sure if I'll hunt another laugh
Got two light weight training sessions in mid week.

We went from Indian summer to winter, guess no fall this year.

Packed another bull off the mountain last night. Two trips. First one was a rear, front, and neck meat.

Little bit sore today....nothing a beer won't fix. Back to work tomorrow and actually working out. Upper body.
Missed a couple of weeks posting; week ending 10/30 had 46 miles- a three day backpacking trip helping a buddy harvest his first deer; week ending today - 37 miles

1793 miles for the year, well within range to get 2023 miles for the year laugh

Mtwarden, I believe I covered some of the same cabinet mountain terrain as you this year. I was in for 10 days for a total of 90 ish miles. I was there in early to mid October so didn't see any snow! What an amazing place it is to get a work out in.

Trystan
I've been taking it easy, torn meniscus. Had arthroscopic surgery 3 weeks ago, just got back in the gym, did all the usual lower body stuff with reduced weight on that side and no pain at all. So that's good.

Rode the bike twice, first 10 miles, then 21 on Thursday. 21 was a bit much, I felt it the day after but today it's all good.
Originally Posted by Trystan
Mtwarden, I believe I covered some of the same cabinet mountain terrain as you this year. I was in for 10 days for a total of 90 ish miles. I was there in early to mid October so didn't see any snow! What an amazing place it is to get a work out in.

Trystan

Nice (but rugged!) country smile My buddy’s father-in-law still hoping to fill his bighorn tag.

@smokepole- glad to hear you’re making a good recovery- here’s to continuing to do so!
I’ve got to get to the Cabinets. Family lives in Kalispell & Libby so maybe next Summer for a hike - heard so much but VT is a bit far for a day hike.
Originally Posted by Trystan

Trystan

Nice (but rugged!) country smile My buddy’s father-in-law still hoping to fill his bighorn tag.

@smokepole- glad to hear you’re making a good recovery- here’s to continuing to do so!

A good friend of mine just filled his bighorn tag hunting the cabinets this year. The fella is 70 years old and spent 3 weeks in there looking for a big one which he finally got. We did provide a good bit of help packing his camp in and out for him but still, the area he was in is difficult terrain just to walk let alone carry anything. I don't remember ever seeing such a happy hunter when it all came thru for him 😊

I wish your buddies father in law the best on his hunt

Trystan
@PintsofCraft- well worth hiking exploring if you're going to be in the area.

^ my buddy's father-in-law is 74, he's been putting in for 40 years and finally got the tag- his (father-in-law's) nephew also drew the tag (I think there are only four for the Cabinets) and killed an absolute bruiser! smile
@PintsofCraft- well worth hiking exploring if you're going to be in the area.

^ my buddy's father-in-law is 74, he's been putting in for 40 years and finally got the tag- his (father-in-law's) nephew also drew the tag (I think there are only four for the Cabinets) and killed an absolute bruiser! smile

There is a family gathering in June and I plan on a few nights up there. I’ve heard it is more steeply timbered than the Selway. I’m usually good for two days of family time before I need some good activity.
Got in a few miles elk hunting last couple of weeks, but the near hurricane (60)+ mph), winds and cold drove us out after a few days. Hit 1,000 miles yesterday.
^ good job smile

44 miles this week, 9 of those on snowshoes- even elk hunted part of the day on snowshoes! I don't recommend it.

43 miles this past week; most of it elk hunting in 12"+ of snow which is a bit tiring! All the work paid off though- harvested a huge cow on my B tag (still will probably try to get a bull)

37 miles this week (1917 for the year). A tough 10 miles elk hunting on Monday (saw a good bull a long ways off, eventually made it over into that country, but no sign of him).
37 miles this week (1917 for the year). A tough 10 miles elk hunting on Monday (saw a good bull a long ways off, eventually made it over into that country, but no sign of him).

Those are some awesome pictures! I admire your work out ethic and am certain you will find many healthy years ahead of you sir. One thing I inadvertently stumbled across that I will share with anyone reading is intermittent fasting. Intermittent fasting helps the bodies natural systems to produce up to 2000% more growth hormone, 180% more testosterone, rebuilds mitochondria cells, and produce stem cells. The health benifits have somewhat blown my mind. In a nut shell it stimulates all of the same mechanisms that excercise stulates only at a much higher level. Intermittent fasting combined with excersise is out of this world.

Some of the best places to find quality information is...........

Dr Gundry, Dr Eric Berg, Dr Jason Fung, Dr Mindy Pelz. There all on you tube

Trystan
Thanks.

I kind of inadvertently did some fasted exercise this summer. Too hot to hit the trails later, so was getting up between 4 and 5 and hitting the trails for an hour or two without breakfast- along with a nights sleep, was fasting for ~ 12-14 hours.

I'm a big fan of Uphill Athlete and they have a lot of data supporting fasted exercise, not for weight loss but to get better fat utilization during long aerobic endeavors. They stress the fast should be in the 10+hour range, the exercise should be low zone (2-3) workouts and not for much more than two hours- that's exactly what I was doing, but like I said really inadvertently laugh
Thanks.

I kind of inadvertently did some fasted exercise this summer. Too hot to hit the trails later, so was getting up between 4 and 5 and hitting the trails for an hour or two without breakfast- along with a nights sleep, was fasting for ~ 12-14 hours.

I'm a big fan of Uphill Athlete and they have a lot of data supporting fasted exercise, not for weight loss but to get better fat utilization during long aerobic endeavors. They stress the fast should be in the 10+hour range, the exercise should be low zone (2-3) workouts and not for much more than two hours- that's exactly what I was doing, but like I said really inadvertently laugh

I'll look up Uphill athlete. I completely agree with what you said. The body stores fat to be used at some point when you need it. If we as humans never dip into ketosis or utilize that function to burn fat it eventually ends up damaging the mitochondria cells which basically are our life force. Doing fasted excersise stimulates ketosis and atophagy which rebuild mitochondria cells and burn fat directly as a fuel when it converts the fat into ketones. Awesome stuff for sure.

My personal journey with fasting has been one year next month. As a farrier I went from a capability of shoeing 4 horses a day to I can shoe 10 a day now. In fact last week I shod 17 in one day. In my 30s my record was 9 horses in one day. At 55 years of age I now shoe 10 every day thanks to the power of intermittent fasting. Unbelievably powerful information
^ nice smile
32 miles this week (1949 for the year); three of them on cross country skis. Had an incident where I just about shot two dogs; they came running in (and hackled up) towards Tiny Elvis and I- put a round into a tree between the two dogs and that turned them, probably only 30' when I shot

Hitting Wendler again and got both workouts in (Monday and Friday); definitely some soreness which is to be expected with a long layoff from strength training
Hit 1100 miles for the year this week. Lost some mileage as we were visiting and on the road. Now that I am in Arizona, I shouldn't miss to many days.
Sled drags, kettle bell goblet squats, leg press. 30mins of 45lb rucking
Catching up- week ending the 11th- 30 miles, ending the 18th- 26 miles, ending the 25th- 27 miles- that puts me over my goal of 2022 miles laugh

I've completed a full 4 week cycle of Wendler strength training, so slowly getting caught up on my hunting season hiatus

Got several days of backcountry skiing and snowshoeing that last couple of weeks; forced to use the treadmill 3-4 days as we were -20 to -40 degrees, a wee bit cold to hit the trails!

Congratulations on meeting your goal. Been brutal here in Arizona, down in the 40"s at night but now warming. I am still on track and will finish out somewhere around 1160 miles. I am happy with that. The new year begins soon.
^ thanks; 1160 miles is very good! smile
You two are an inspiration! Well done! Life threw me a curveball and I struggle with coming up with a goal or motivation to do much. I really need to turn that around.
Question for youse guys. I did a cardio workout yesterday, stair machine and bike. I was wearing a gifted pair of UA bottoms that are effectively compression pants. For whatever reason, the workout seemed easier than normal, so I googled "compression pants cardio," and was kind of surprised to read that they are in fact supposed to help with cardio by improving circulation and returning more blood to the lungs.

Anybody seen this in practice?
Question for youse guys. I did a cardio workout yesterday, stair machine and bike. I was wearing a gifted pair of UA bottoms that are effectively compression pants. For whatever reason, the workout seemed easier than normal, so I googled "compression pants cardio," and was kind of surprised to read that they are in fact supposed to help with cardio by improving circulation and returning more blood to the lungs.

Anybody seen this in practice?

I haven't noticed that, but used to wear compression socks (above the calf) when I was doing mountain ultras and it seemed to help with preventing cramping (in the calves).
Will there be a new 2023 fitness thread? I love seeing the posts of those doing so well. Staying with it, is the key.
Originally Posted by elkmen1
Will there be a new 2023 fitness thread? I love seeing the posts of those doing so well. Staying with it, is the key.

Why not?
© 24hourcampfire