Home
Posted By: Kenneth Gaiters, yes or no? - 05/08/22
Your thoughts please.
Posted By: smokepole Re: Gaiters, yes or no? - 05/08/22
Depends. If it's wet yes. If you're splashing through creeks yes. If you're walking through grass, stubble, gravel, scree etc with trail runners or low top boots and want to keep debris out, yes.

If none of the above and you need to be quiet to stalk up close or it's warm out, no.
Posted By: Lonny Re: Gaiters, yes or no? - 05/08/22
Exactly what Smokepole said.

The only thing I might add is they keep you warmer when sitting for extended periods.
Posted By: David_Walter Re: Gaiters, yes or no? - 05/08/22
I have the REI low/ankle gaiters. Wore them in Africa and wear then around here when hunting in cheat grass.

Life savers from getting junk in your socks or laces, and keeps bugs out, as well.

I wear regular gaiters when there's dew, rain, or if I'm wearing cotton pants (unusual for me when huting).
Posted By: Region6 Re: Gaiters, yes or no? - 05/08/22
When hunting in the snow they are great. They keep the bottom of you pants from freezing and eventually wicking moisture up to the top of your socks. I don’t leave home without them.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Gaiters, yes or no? - 05/08/22
Great points. I agree with you guys. I always wear mine when hunting.
Posted By: T_Inman Re: Gaiters, yes or no? - 05/08/22
Until there's 6 inches or so of snow, no.
Personally I feel they're the most overrated piece of gear out there, possibly eclipsed only by trekking poles.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Gaiters, yes or no? - 05/08/22
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Personally I feel they're the most overrated piece of gear out there, possibly eclipsed only by trekking poles.
Being in my 70's, I find that a single pole is way UNDER rated. It's great for balance and with a little practice, can be used in many ways as an improvised shooting stick. The only negative issue that I've found is noise. Aluminum or carbon, they make noise when you hit them against a rock. Also the tips are noisy when walking in rocks.
If they work for you and in your situation, then rock on.

They don't for me, other than maybe one and only when going down something really steep with a heavy load.
Posted By: Kenneth Re: Gaiters, yes or no? - 05/08/22
I actually appreciate and use trekking poles at times,

Gaiters, never used them yet, but bought a pair, just because?

Dunno.
Aren’t you planning a sheep hunt this coming year? I presume you bought them for that hunt?

Most gaiters have been really hot for me, one of many reasons I only wear them in snow. They’re cumbersome and noisy, unless you’ve got solid wool or some other quieter material. Kahtoola makes a few pairs designed for warmer weather and I have tried both their NAVA and LEVA. They were both too short, despite being the ‘tall’ version. They also wouldn’t stay up on my shin like conventional gaiters do, and would fall down like a tube sock.

Lastly, other than my heavy duty Sleeping Indian wool gaiters, I have never had a pair last more than one season without getting holes, and allows water and whatever else in or between the outer layer and gortex mid layer, so then you end up carrying all that stuff with you.

Others seem to absolutely require gaiters, so like anything else, give them a try and see what they do for you.
Posted By: bwinters Re: Gaiters, yes or no? - 05/08/22
In hunting season I tend to wear them every time I go out. They do 2 things: keep crap of all sorts out of your boots, including snow, 2. Help keep your feet warmer if you sit for a longish period of time. Outside of hunting season, I rarely wear them.
Posted By: Kenneth Re: Gaiters, yes or no? - 05/08/22
T, yes for the sheep hunt.

I imagine on certain days they might benefit me,

Otherwise I’ve gotten this far in life without them,

Water crossings possible benefit there,

Otherwise another 100 dollar bill, more stuff to fit in the backpack…..New set of Kuiu Yukons sitting here…

Dunno.
Posted By: troublesome82 Re: Gaiters, yes or no? - 05/08/22
Gaiters, always in cold weather for me! I have three pair!
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Gaiters, yes or no? - 05/08/22
Originally Posted by Region6
When hunting in the snow they are great. They keep the bottom of you pants from freezing and eventually wicking moisture up to the top of your socks. I don’t leave home without them.

Same here
Posted By: pete53 Re: Gaiters, yes or no? - 05/09/22
depends where i am hunting ,here in Minnesota never muck boots are good enough , mountains i keep them handy if there is snow on the ground but i where taller lace boots when there is no snow always.
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: Gaiters, yes or no? - 05/09/22
Originally Posted by smokepole
Depends. If it's wet yes. If you're splashing through creeks yes. If you're walking through grass, stubble, gravel, scree etc with trail runners or low top boots and want to keep debris out, yes.

If none of the above and you need to be quiet to stalk up close or it's warm out, no.

This, plus snow.

MM
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: Gaiters, yes or no? - 05/09/22
Lastly, other than my heavy duty Sleeping Indian wool gaiters,

I sure wish they were still around.....................

MM
I've had a pair of gaiters for years that I keep on the outside bottom of my pack, under the vertical compression straps. Think I've used them twice in about 5 years.

Trekking poles would probably help out my bum knee, but so far, I've done without. I can make do with my shooting stix when I need to.
Posted By: SheriffJoe Re: Gaiters, yes or no? - 05/09/22
Gaiters good. Walk any wet trail where foliage contacts your legs.

Trekking poles good. I've lent mine on several occasions to people I've met on trails that were having a difficult time with their knees who were quite grateful.
Posted By: mtwarden Re: Gaiters, yes or no? - 05/09/22
gaiters for me

knee high gaiters (Kuiu Yukon) in wet/cold weather, shorter gaiters (Kuiu Scree) in any other weather
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Gaiters, yes or no? - 05/09/22
Originally Posted by eaglemountainman
I've had a pair of gaiters for years that I keep on the outside bottom of my pack, under the vertical compression straps. Think I've used them twice in about 5 years.

Trekking poles would probably help out my bum knee, but so far, I've done without. I can make do with my shooting stix when I need to.
Yes, they would. Buy a cheap pair, maybe from Costco or Ebay and give them a try. If you like them, then get a good pair. I just use 1. That leaves a hand free to handle my rifle or whatever. The pole will help with balance and keep from twisting or jarring the bad knee.
Posted By: 257Bob Re: Gaiters, yes or no? - 05/09/22
I use the KUIU Kutana gaiters, from the first time I bought them I never go without unless it's exceptionally hot. I like them for several reasons, when it's cold, they prevent cool air from working it's way up your pantleg. They keep the uppers of your boots and pantlegs dry and they keep all sort of debris from getting in your boots. If you step in water over your boots, it keeps them from flooding momentarily. I have a camo pair for hunting and a solid pair for hiking. The greatest innovation for hunting, at least for me, in years!
Posted By: 257Bob Re: Gaiters, yes or no? - 05/09/22
I have the Costco sticks, many miles and they have held up well, about $30 as I recall. I have found one to be about right for hiking, two is too much for me.
Posted By: Ptarmigan Re: Gaiters, yes or no? - 05/09/22
My mother picked up two sets of brand new OR Crocodiles for $1.00 at a thrift store a couple of years ago. She sent them to me and I gave them a shot. I find they're pretty helpful when I'm not wearing rubber boots when caribou or deer hunting. They can get a bit hot though.
Posted By: KC Re: Gaiters, yes or no? - 05/10/22

Add snow, marsh mounds and cactus infested desert.
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: Gaiters, yes or no? - 05/10/22

Yup. This, plus snow and gaiters also keep a bunch of wear off your expensive boots if doing a bunch of side-hilling through scree.
Posted By: GregW Re: Gaiters, yes or no? - 05/10/22
Oh, you guys are talking about snow and moisture gaiters, I thought we were talking about snake gaiters...grin
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Gaiters, yes or no? - 05/10/22
Originally Posted by GregW
Oh, you guys are talking about snow and moisture gaiters, I thought we were talking about snake gaiters...grin

No kidding Greg. I'm not much of a mountain hunter, so I've never used them. My desert hunting gear doesn't include gaiters, as I wear pull on leather boots without laces (due to sand burrs), and yes we are cactus infested here too. Moisture seems almost non existent the last few years.
Posted By: smokepole Re: Gaiters, yes or no? - 05/10/22
Originally Posted by GregW

I thought they called those "chaps," and people wear chaps in snake country?
Posted By: T_Inman Re: Gaiters, yes or no? - 05/10/22
Snake proof gaiters have made me sweat like a fatty working overtime.
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Gaiters, yes or no? - 05/10/22
KUIU had a 25% off sale on selected items. Their gaiters were $74 instead of regular priced $99.

I’ve never worn gaiters before, but have had many instances while upland bird hunting where they would have been helpful.

I bought a set.

As for snakes. Depending on the year and sightings from ranchers where I varmint hunt. I will wear snake boots. I don’t dig on snakes of any kind.

Nobody home but us chickens, when it comes to the slithering.

🦫
Posted By: XBOLT51 Re: Gaiters, yes or no? - 05/10/22
I use both depending on what terrain/time of year I'm hunting
Posted By: GregW Re: Gaiters, yes or no? - 05/10/22
Snake proof gaiters have made me sweat like a fatty working overtime.

Ricky Bin turned me into these....

https://www.snakeprotection.com/turtleskin-snake-gaiters

I've got about 100 miles on them the past 4ish weeks and they are a game changer, for me. Part of my permanent kit from February through November...
Posted By: T_Inman Re: Gaiters, yes or no? - 05/10/22
I will look into those.

Thanks.
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: Gaiters, yes or no? - 05/10/22
I have a pair of Kenetrek Gaiters. I haven't found them to be loud or excessively hot. I wear them for big game season and hiking
Posted By: cwh2 Re: Gaiters, yes or no? - 05/11/22
I wear them basically all of sheep season, or any time I'm in the mountains. Keeps rocks and sticks out of the boots, slows scree wear and tear, and a little protection when crossing creeks. For lots of moose season I don't bother, but it depends on what I'm planning to do. Then in winter, I wear them all the time to keep snow out.
Posted By: ChrisAU Re: Gaiters, yes or no? - 05/11/22
Yes, and glad I consider them essential and keep them in my pack:

There was not supposed to be any snow on this elk hunt in 2019, absolutely helped keep me form having soaking wet feet:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

And then definitely glad I had them Antelope hunting in WY last year...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: ehunter Re: Gaiters, yes or no? - 05/12/22
I wear them all the time if your as bow legged as I am I can't keep stuff out of my boots. Cotton the warm season and gortex wet or snow. Even in really cold dry they keep my feet warmer.
Posted By: ElkSnort Re: Gaiters, yes or no? - 06/03/22
I too wear the Kenetrek gaiters. Keeps ya warm and dry in the wet and snowy conditions.. Yet not too hot. And I find that I'm actually more quiet because my pant legs aren't getting hung up in the brush.
Posted By: Kenneth Re: Gaiters, yes or no? - 06/03/22
I’ve been breaking in the Kuiu Yukons, and yes they do keep or add additional heat in the lower legs and boot area,

Not ideal at the present time………
Posted By: Okanagan Re: Gaiters, yes or no? - 06/03/22
Always. Hunting elk, deer, sheep, picking berries, year round... always. I live in the rainiest part of the lower 48, and don't like burrs nor debris in my boot tops, but I have never hunted an extremely hot climate.
Posted By: KC Re: Gaiters, yes or no? - 06/04/22

I wear gaiters more often than not. In addition to what Smokepole said, I also use them in the desert to keep the cats claw from ripping my trousers to shreds and they make passable snake gaiters.

I'm about to go on a mild-weather recreational backpack up to do some fishing at a timberline lake. Probably won't wear gaiters. I don't expect to do any climbing where I might encounter snow up high.
Posted By: PintsofCraft Re: Gaiters, yes or no? - 06/27/22
I have a pair. I use them very occasionally. I did use them in Newfoundland over my Tibets before I realized that rubber boots were the only way.
Posted By: Vek Re: Gaiters, yes or no? - 06/28/22
Gaiters are a lot quieter and shed snow and water a lot better if you put them on and drape your pantlegs over them...

If it's cold enough to want them for snow and warmth, your pants won't be wet, but the snow that goes over the top of them if they're over your pants will make your pants and boots wet.
Posted By: elkmen1 Re: Gaiters, yes or no? - 06/28/22
Always, whenever I am in the field The OR brand is a quality product
Posted By: pete53 Re: Gaiters, yes or no? - 06/28/22
kinda depends when i wear gaiters ? snow yes ,mud and very wet conditions sometimes . i don`t like to wear them but sometimes you got too. good luck
Posted By: The_Yetti Re: Gaiters, yes or no? - 06/29/22
In snow, most definitely, and wet conditions, even morning dew on tall grass. It's nice to keep pants dry when out on a backpack hunt.
Posted By: Okanagan Re: Gaiters, yes or no? - 06/30/22
Originally Posted by Vek
Gaiters are a lot quieter and shed snow and water a lot better if you put them on and drape your pantlegs over them...

If it's cold enough to want them for snow and warmth, your pants won't be wet, but the snow that goes over the top of them if they're over your pants will make your pants and boots wet.

Ditto! Excellent point.

Pants inside gaiters drain/soak water down inside the gaiter tops as the pant material gets wet. Soaked my boots that way on a rainy sleety dash through sub-alpine brush after a ram. Pant legs outside of gaiters shed water down and outside the gaiter. If wearing waterproof rain pants, the rain pants go outside the gaiters.

Gaiters inside soft fabric pant cloth also lets you wear noisier gaiter fabric and still be quiet moving through low brush.
Posted By: ribka Re: Gaiters, yes or no? - 07/06/22

ha. Im one those guys that love gaiters and trekking poles but Im sure I am a bit older than you

I always wear gaiters late season wetter upland, chasing chukar, pheasant in marshy areas, Turkey hunting, elk hunting and poles. I cross a lot of small streams elk, deer, Turkey hunting and they help

I find I can wear a lighter boot with gaiters and stay warm hiking and hunting. For me they help moisture from getting down into my socks and boots
Posted By: specneeds Re: Gaiters, yes or no? - 07/10/22
I replaced my OR’s with the Kuiu Yukon see a couple of years ago & like them better. Snow or wet grass they make a difference & keep pants & boot tops drier & warmer don’t think they are necessary but are an improvement even with good pants & boots.

I’ve been using a walking stick of some kind since my grandfather showed me how to walk with one in the mountains over 50 years ago. I used trigger stick tripod mostly for that purpose for years. Went with a single carbon pole with a yoke on top last year & won’t go back that light extra leg to brace & balance really helps these days.
Posted By: SheriffJoe Re: Gaiters, yes or no? - 07/10/22
Using TruSpec Expedition pants sprayed with DWR and the built in bootlace hook/adjustable boot cuff eliminates most needs for a gaiter.
© 24hourcampfire