Home
Posted By: ruffedgrouse headlamp question - 07/16/22
Which headlamps have given you long lasting performance? thank you
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: headlamp question - 07/17/22
zebralight....
Posted By: SheriffJoe Re: headlamp question - 07/17/22
Black Diamond.
Posted By: boatanchor Re: headlamp question - 07/17/22
I use headlamps on a daily basis, for years I was a fan of the Princeton Tec Apex. I had 2 of them go bad within a couple of weeks.
Since then I have been using LedLenser and really like them, my favorite model is the H7R, infinitely adjustable from 15 to 600 lumen and 1000 lumen boost if necessary, rechargeable battery life is very good.
If you want something smaller and lighter for backpack only I like the MH4, very dependable
Posted By: rayporter Re: headlamp question - 07/17/22
this spring i picked up one of these sofirn headlights. so far it has been fantastic. long battery life and a mix of good throw and wide beam.

https://sofirnlight.myshoplaza.com/...-8b50-ab50b4433172.collection_detail_1.1
Posted By: tjm10025 Re: headlamp question - 07/17/22
I have three Black Diamonds around the house and one in the truck because I use them constantly. It takes a long time for them to fail. Usually, the plastic housing cracks although they will often still work.

Out in the wild, Zebralight.
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: headlamp question - 07/17/22
Zebralight and Petzl Tactikka for me.
Posted By: ruffedgrouse Re: headlamp question - 07/17/22
thanks guys
Posted By: eaglemountainman Re: headlamp question - 07/17/22
Nitecore HC33
Posted By: ironbender Re: headlamp question - 07/18/22
This one came in a 2-pack from Costco 8 or 10 years ago. It’s my go-to because it’s bright af and simple. Three settings H M L and focusable. I think the 2-pack was $20. Both still work great.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: headlamp question - 07/18/22
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Zebralight and Petzl Tactikka for me.

I use that same model Petzl
Posted By: naiche Re: headlamp question - 07/18/22
Petzl
Posted By: kingston Re: headlamp question - 07/18/22
I've been running a NiteCore HC90 since 2016 and it's been fantastic.

I use it with 18650 rechargeables.
Posted By: mod7rem Re: headlamp question - 07/18/22
Black Diamond Spot for me.
Posted By: MOGC Re: headlamp question - 07/18/22
Zebralight...
Posted By: jeeper Re: headlamp question - 07/18/22
Had good luck with Black Diamond. Am now giving nite core with rechargeable AA's a chance and liking it thus far. Battery life of blue earth ? batteries impressive.
Posted By: cwh2 Re: headlamp question - 07/18/22
My original nitecore was a rock star for hundreds of hours. Then it got flaky and eventually wouldn't shut off.

I ordered a new one, and it was a pos out of the gate. So now I am using a fenix hm65r-t. I like the 18650 headlamps for the battery life and the ability to put out a bunch of light when needed.
Posted By: Billy_Goat Re: headlamp question - 07/18/22
most of these work pretty great. even a "cheapy" from Home Depot will suffice.

recommendation I'll give is: 1. try to have your batteries "match" other things in your pack (GPS, etc) if possible to minimize the number of spares. 2. keep a traditional handheld flashlight in your pack in case of emergency. I'm not scared of the dark.... but I'm scared of the dark in the national forest without a light at all. headlamps are somewhat easy to "lose" after daybreak, so having a spare is handy.
Posted By: SuperCub Re: headlamp question - 07/19/22
Originally Posted by Billy_Goat
most of these work pretty great. even a "cheapy" from Home Depot will suffice.

Right .... It really depends on what you need a light for. If your just lighting up what you are doing with your hands and where you are walking, there are many good choices and not for big dollars.

We use Pelicans at work for confined space jobs. They work fine and won't break the bank.
Posted By: 444afic Re: headlamp question - 07/19/22
I have four of these:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-LED-400-Lumens-Headlamp/517266765?athbdg=L1300

They weigh very little so I bring two when hunting, a primary and a backup. A nice feature is that one push of the power button gets you high power; you don't have to d*ck around with the lower settings. Same for the red setting. You can go right to it without toggling through any white light modes.
Posted By: SheriffJoe Re: headlamp question - 07/19/22
Gonna get me some.
Posted By: BluMtn Re: headlamp question - 07/19/22
Check out the Armytek. I have had one for about 8 years now and I have 3 18650 rechargeables and it puts out a little or alot of light depending on your needs.
Posted By: 270jrk Re: headlamp question - 07/21/22
I’ve been using a Fenix HM50R For the past few years. Couldn’t be happier with it. Rugged bright, rechargeable or use 123 lithiums.
© 24hourcampfire