Home
Posted By: smokepole Endurance fuels - 08/20/22
Anybody using these for extended workouts or carrying a pack in the mountains for a few hours? What are your favorites and why?

I've tried different ones including the gel packs with and without caffeine. Also been using a powder called Tailwind, dextrose and electrolytes. Seems to help as far as "gas in the tank."
Posted By: Jackson_Handy Re: Endurance fuels - 08/21/22
I use NOW sports electrolyte "effer-energy" tablets. They have caffeine, b12, magnesium, calcium, and potassium.

Added flavor and fizzyness (and caffeine) are nice.

I drop a couple in a Nalgene and drink once dissolved. I buy them at natural grocers.

Electrolyte tablets
Posted By: smokepole Re: Endurance fuels - 08/21/22
Thanks. I use a similar product when I want caffeine, "Morning Buzz." Caffeine, vitamins, minerals, electrolytes. I'm looking more for "Fuel."
Posted By: ribka Re: Endurance fuels - 08/21/22
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JB775N...dp_576802490007737342_590559373116703297
Posted By: Boxerdog Re: Endurance fuels - 08/21/22
Cliff bloks have caffeinated and non caffeinated and work quite well for endurance activities.
Originally Posted by Boxerdog
Cliff bloks have caffeinated and non caffeinated and work quite well for endurance activities.

Just bought some of those yesterday as a matter of fact. Used them before hauling out heavy loads, seemed to work well.
Posted By: Jackson_Handy Re: Endurance fuels - 08/21/22
When I was into road cycling I always carried sport beans and cliff bloks on me. 80 mile bike rides were more difficult than many pack outs I've had.

sport beans
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Endurance fuels - 08/21/22
Salted Caramel Guu on a White chocolate/macadamia cliff bar chased w/ 16 oz of caffeinated Nuun.

Magic!

mike r
Posted By: antlers Re: Endurance fuels - 08/21/22
I’ve used CLIF BLOKS (without caffeine) and Jelly Belly Sport Beans (without caffeine) when I’m ridin’ my bikes (road or mountain) a long ways.

When I’m climbin’ and hikin’ (my greatest love) I prefer plain ol’ nuts.

GORP is pretty good. And a mixture of salted peanuts and Brach’s candy corn is pretty good too.

Have used all of the CLIF bars. I like em’.
Originally Posted by lvmiker
Salted Caramel Guu on a White chocolate/macadamia cliff bar chased w/ 16 oz of caffeinated Nuun.

Holy mackerel, I'm just looking for a little pick-me-up, not a low earth orbit!
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Endurance fuels - 08/21/22
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by lvmiker

Holy mackerel, I'm just looking for a little pick-me-up, not a low earth orbit!

I tend to have a pacing problemgrin I need all the help I can get for the second 1/2 of the day.

mike r
Yep, me too or I'd just be eating gorp like antlers.
Posted By: roundoak Re: Endurance fuels - 08/21/22
Oats! You have heard of the expression :"he is feeling his oats".

My gorp bags main ingredient is Cherrios and Honey Nut Cherrios. Plus my wife has some great baked oatmeal bar recipes. Store bought I purchase the assorted KIND oatmeal bars.
Posted By: smokepole Re: Endurance fuels - 08/22/22
I'll eat granola every day for breakfast along with some fruit and nuts. And Probars during the day.
Posted By: Riflehunter Re: Endurance fuels - 08/22/22
It used to be the case that the ultimate endurance food for exploring, hunting etc was pemmican. Now, nobody uses it or talks of it.
Posted By: Jackson_Handy Re: Endurance fuels - 08/22/22
Originally Posted by Riflehunter
It used to be the case that the ultimate endurance food for exploring, hunting etc was pemmican. Now, nobody uses it or talks of it.

I dont wear buckskin pants either
Posted By: mtwarden Re: Endurance fuels - 08/23/22
When I was doing mountain ultras I tried gels first, just couldn’t stomach them- most too sweet.

Tried Clif blocks next, good for awhile but eventually got burned out on them.

Then I tried ones you mix with water (figure you’re hydrating and getting calories at the same time)- Tailwind, HEED, etc. These worked pretty well (couple of years), then I started having stomach issues at races and quit them.

Next up started using figs (Fig Newtons included), dates, more “food” like stuff which worked well for me.

I still will grab Fig Newtons occasionally, but have pretty much moved to bars now, but I’m out of the ultra scene too- just an old hiker now laugh
Posted By: smokepole Re: Endurance fuels - 08/24/22
I love fig Newtons, might have to buy a big bag.

Or those thin flat wafers with a layer of raisin in the middle. Haven't seen those on the shelves in a while.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Endurance fuels - 08/26/22
If you like fig newtons, you’ll love Natures Bakery whole wheat fig bars.

I find fig newtons kind of pasty.
Posted By: smokepole Re: Endurance fuels - 08/28/22
Originally Posted by ironbender

Nature's Bakery? Is that something you granola-crunching, Birkenstock-wearing Alaskans eat??

grin
Posted By: mtwarden Re: Endurance fuels - 08/28/22

Their whole wheat ones are a little better, but yeah agree.
Posted By: cwh2 Re: Endurance fuels - 08/31/22

Nature's Bakery? Is that something you granola-crunching, Birkenstock-wearing Alaskans eat??

grin
Yes, we do.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Endurance fuels - 08/31/22

grin
Just order some from Bezos. Everybody wins.
Even better than natures bakery, were store brand from Safeway - Safeway select whole wheat fig bars. Albertsons bought Safeway and got rid of anything worthwhile buying there.
Posted By: smokepole Re: Endurance fuels - 08/31/22
IB, are these the ones you're talking about?

https://www.safeway.com/shop/product-details.960162854.html

I just went on Safeway's website, they also have Nature's Bakery listed.
Smoke
Those do t look to be whole wheat. I’m guessing “original” means paffy white dough.

Wrappers usually highlight if they are whole wheat.

Also, natures bakery calls their blueberry bars “fig bars”. WTF? They’re tasty enough, but not fig.

Let’s be careful out there! 😉
Yes, must be careful. You could put your eye out with those things.
Smoke
Those do t look to be whole wheat. I’m guessing “original” means paffy white dough.

Wrappers usually highlight if they are whole wheat.

Also, natures bakery calls their blueberry bars “fig bars”. WTF? They’re tasty enough, but not fig.

Let’s be careful out there! 😉

You can look at the ingredients. The Safeway brand has more high fructose corn syrup than figs, and bleached whole wheat flour. The Natures Bakery fig bars have no high fructose corn syrup, more figs than blueberries, and the "blueberries" are actually blueberry jam. Unbleached whole wheat flower.

Natures Bakery takes the cake!
👍💪
© 24hourcampfire