Home
Currently using an Eberlestock X2 and really like its strength and the thin shoulder straps make it easy to shoot with it on. I have managed to stuff and strap 95 lbs worth of meat and gear to it so I’m impressed with its strength. But find it a bit small for meat and unfortunately it’s uncomfortable for me even with light loads. I already have a large pack for heavy, multi day trips, but it’s too noisy and bulky for day hunting. Also the shoulder straps are thick making it hard to shoot with it on.
Looking for something in between but still with thin shoulder straps for easy shooting.

I am considering the Eberlestock F1 Mainframe to use with a small dry bag for day hunts and carrying meat when needed. Does anyone use the F1 in this way? Like to hear your experiences or any other recommendations. Thanks.
I tried Eberlestock packs and find your statement about comfort under even light loads accurate. So - I don't have any experience with the F1 - but have tried alot of day packs over the years including most of the upper end packs.

To me, if meat hauling is in the equation, you need a good pack that comes with a meat shelf. Exo, Kifaru, Stone Glacier, Mystery Ranch, all have small bag options and the ability to carry alot of weight "comfortably". Despite internet lore, hauling 60-70-80 lbs on your back SUCKS. With a good pack - that fits and adjusted correctly - it's tolerable. A poorly designed pack will be downright painful.

Pack fit is the key. For my dimensions, the Exo K3 fits well. I use the 1850 with the K3 lid for general day hunting. It is none to big in my opinion and would benefit from an additional 2-300 cu inches - but it works well. I've hauled 2 elk out with it in day hunt mode.

Mystery Ranch Pintler is another I spent a fair bit of time under. I came to hate the waist belt - not enough grip under load and it slides down my hips.

Kifaru 22 mag is a solid choice and likely my second favorite.

I've not tried the Stone Glacier mainly because they only come with a 26" frame. I have a short torso and the frame sticks up way too high, comically high.....

I've had a couple Kuiu packs and found them light but uncomfortable under load. In fact, they plain sucked when you add more than ~ 40 lbs. Plus I don't trust the frame under heavy loads.
I am really thinking about an exo k3 (4) or a stone glacier. For daypack duties just strapping on a dry bag and going with a frame. Pretty sure my current kifaru bag triples in weight when saturated, which is almost always.

As mentioned, hauling meat is supposed to suck, but it can suck a little less.
I've been very happy the last 4-5 years with an MR Pop Up 28. Lots of guys also seem to like the PU 38.
Thanks guys, I’ll check out the other options.
I agree packing heavy loads can suck. I usually hike back to the truck with a small load and get my big pack, but I’d like to be able to not have to do that if possible. Takes up a lot of time.
Thanks again.
I know a guy who guts the buck and packs them out whole between his Exo frame and bag for shorter pack outs. Quite a testament to the toughness if the pack system. (And the packer).
I’ve settled on a pop up 28. It can can handle two average blacktails well.
A word of caution on the MR Popup 38 - it seems the bag can't/won't cinch tight to the frame with less than a full bag. I had a PU 28 and liked it well enough but it didn't anything my Exo K3 can't do better so I sold it.
Look at Seek Outside too. Great way to shave some weight and still have plenty of carrying capacity.
Originally Posted by mtwarden
Look at Seek Outside too. Great way to shave some weight and still have plenty of carrying capacity.

Thank you.
The Peregrine 3500 and Gila Ultralight look interesting. How do you find the material for noise if still hunting in timber? If you have one of these two packs, do you find any problem shooting with the pack on? The shoulder straps look thin enough to not get in the way.
Originally Posted by bwinters
A word of caution on the MR Popup 38 - it seems the bag can't/won't cinch tight to the frame with less than a full bag. I had a PU 28 and liked it well enough but it didn't anything my Exo K3 can't do better so I sold it.

Thanks, I was also reading about that. Looks like some guys use some extra straps to try and cinch it down better.
Originally Posted by Calvin
I know a guy who guts the buck and packs them out whole between his Exo frame and bag for shorter pack outs. Quite a testament to the toughness if the pack system. (And the packer).
That’s definitely a strong guy carrying a whole buck only gutted. I have no problem spending the time to debone because I know I’m not carrying a whole buck only gutted.
Originally Posted by mod7rem
Originally Posted by Calvin
That’s definitely a strong guy carrying a whole buck only gutted. I have no problem spending the time to debone because I know I’m not carrying a whole buck only gutted.

That's a guy who will need knee & hip replacement.
My friend Jeff in Idaho used to carry deer out like that, it caught up with him by age 50.

It's hard to find exactly what works best for each person, good luck.
Originally Posted by mtwarden

Thank you.
The Peregrine 3500 and Gila Ultralight look interesting. How do you find the material for noise if still hunting in timber? If you have one of these two packs, do you find any problem shooting with the pack on? The shoulder straps look thin enough to not get in the way.

My older pack SO pack bag is X-Pac, it's a little noisy; they went to a couple of newer fabrics (still waterproof) that are quite a bit quieter
My mystery ranch cabinet has worked very well for day pack uses.
My SO Evolution and Revolution packs are fine still hunting, despite being made from XPac, since they pack down small enough in day-pack mode to be obscured by my body from the front. Shooting with the pack on is not an issue for me, since the straps aren't super tight against my shoulders and the frame articulates with upper body rotation.
That’s good to know thanks. I’m taking a serious look at Seekoutside.
I am considering the Eberlestock F1 Mainframe to use with a small dry bag for day hunts and carrying meat when needed. Does anyone use the F1 in this way? Like to hear your experiences or any other recommendations. Thanks.

I am on that path but I can't comment on load hauling yet. It is my first season with this setup and I have 1 more week to go .. fingers crossed. For a bag, I am using a HPG tarapocket using grimlocks to hook the bag to the frame attachments for the straps rather than to the straps themselves. (I'll experiment more after the season is over, right now, as the old saying goes, "I'm dancin' with who I brung.") The bag is big enough to hold the custom meat sacks my cuz made for me, rope, etc to hang quarters to a tree branch for cooling, and a single elk quarter bag to roll the quarters into for carry .. plus a couple modest knives and a bottle of water. Minimalist. It is possible that by next year I'll have chosen a slightly larger bag for the F1 frame.
Originally Posted by T_O_M

I am on that path but I can't comment on load hauling yet. It is my first season with this setup and I have 1 more week to go .. fingers crossed. For a bag, I am using a HPG tarapocket using grimlocks to hook the bag to the frame attachments for the straps rather than to the straps themselves. (I'll experiment more after the season is over, right now, as the old saying goes, "I'm dancin' with who I brung.") The bag is big enough to hold the custom meat sacks my cuz made for me, rope, etc to hang quarters to a tree branch for cooling, and a single elk quarter bag to roll the quarters into for carry .. plus a couple modest knives and a bottle of water. Minimalist. It is possible that by next year I'll have chosen a slightly larger bag for the F1 frame.

Thanks.
How do you find it so far for just hiking around hunting with light load? Noise, comfort, mobility? Good luck, I hope you get to load it up this week. Thanks.
Runninb a KUIU Pro 2300 and the EXO K3 1800. Also have larger bags to go on them should I need more capacity. Got rid of my Eberlestock years ago. Too heavy for what you get...
I use and love the F1. The modularity is great. I have different Eberlestock packs for (vapor 2500 and 7500, the batwings, dry bag and the molle panel that straps to the frame) the F1 and they’re all great. I can use this frame for anything from a short morning or afternoon hunt up to a meat hauler or multi-day pack and be comfortable.
Currently 15% off the Eberlestock M1 Mainframe, use it however you like.

Link

Phil
Thanks for all the feedback. Lots of good options.
Thanks.
How do you find it so far for just hiking around hunting with light load? Noise, comfort, mobility? Good luck, I hope you get to load it up this week. Thanks.

Seems fine. One thing I like about it compared to some of my other packs is it has a fairly narrow frame which doesn't extend out beyond my back hooking on branches and stuff. Noise .. no issue, better than some higher end hunting day packs I've owned. Mobility .. good though of course it is an external frame pack so it doesn't flex quite like a soft day pack.

That’s strange. I had an 18 and now have the 28. They both cinch down fine.
Originally Posted by pabucktail

That’s strange. I had an 18 and now have the 28. They both cinch down fine.

I had a 28 and it worked fine as well but a friend of a buddy of mine had a 38 and couldn't keep it from flopping around with a less than full pack.
I got great use out of my x2 but had the same issues as you. I use a smaller non-hauling MR pack pack for local deer I can drag out these days. A grandson is using the X2 these days the darn thing keeps on going.

For packing out a boned mule deer my Mystery Ranch Sawtooth 45 does it in a breeze & will handle 100 lbs of elk but isn’t too large or heavy. It’s the first Hauler I’ve owned that feels as light as the X2 & hauls my rifle on a Kifatu gun bearer. With the hunting lid add on its multi day capable or can be used as a tiny pack for a short excursion with water, knife, paracord. Small emergency supply etc.
I use the Eberlystock F1 mainframe. There unbeleavably comfortable and versital IME. I use it to day pack and also for heavy meat packing. Its the only pack I've used where I can pack 100 lbs comfortably.

Best hunting pack setup on the market today IMO.

Trystan
Glad the eberlestock works for you. Seems like I’ve heard more eberlestock owners complain about their packs than any other brand. My two friends that have owned them hated the things.
Glad the eberlestock works for you. Seems like I’ve heard more eberlestock owners complain about their packs than any other brand. My two friends that have owned them hated the things.

Hated mine.
Originally Posted by aheider

Hated mine.

I'm curious if any of you had the F1 mainframe setup?

There is a tremendous difference between the F1 mainframe system and a run of the mill Eberlystock pack

Trystan
Originally Posted by Trystan
Its the only pack I've used where I can pack 100 lbs comfortably.

Trystan
Just curious what other high-end packs you've spent time with?
Yeah, one guy had one of those frames. The difference in comfort when loaded with one boned out deer between it and the MR pop up was striking.
I have never considered E-stock to be a player, but who knows.
Thanks for all the feed back guys I appreciate it. Just to let you know I’ve been looking at all the options suggested so far, and I’m leaning hard toward the Seekoutside Peregrine.

I already have a Mchale Critical Mass ll for all my big pack needs and absolutely love it, so I want to make sure I don’t overlap into big pack territory too far.
The Seekoutside waist belt system is very similar to Mchale and so it has me really interested. Please keep the suggestions coming if you have them because I won’t be buying right away. I’m going to take my time on the final decision because these things are pricey and I’m finished deer hunting for this year. I still have a late season goat draw and some lynx hunting to do, but my Mchale will be used for that.
Thanks again.
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

Trystan

Hi Jordan, I've packed with the kuiu pro lite, stone glacier, x2 Eberlystock, SO and some others that I don't recall the names of. In all of those instances it was pack swapping with fellow hunters although I have packed with a good number of less expensive packs. IMO the Eberlystock F1 mainframe setup shined when loaded heavy and other hunters who swapped with me came to the same conclusion. Have you had the chance to try an F1 mainframe? I'd be curious what your analysis is and certainly value your input and experience as well.

Trystan
Thanks for all the feed back guys I appreciate it. Just to let you know I’ve been looking at all the options suggested so far, and I’m leaning hard toward the Seekoutside Peregrine.

I already have a Mchale Critical Mass ll for all my big pack needs and absolutely love it, so I want to make sure I don’t overlap into big pack territory too far.
The Seekoutside waist belt system is very similar to Mchale and so it has me really interested. Please keep the suggestions coming if you have them because I won’t be buying right away. I’m going to take my time on the final decision because these things are pricey and I’m finished deer hunting for this year. I still have a late season goat draw and some lynx hunting to do, but my Mchale will be used for that.
Thanks again.
The waist-belt system is exactly what drew me to SO packs in the first place, and is the primary reason why I've kept using them.

Trystan

Hi Jordan, I've packed with the kuiu pro lite, stone glacier, x2 Eberlystock, SO and some others that I don't recall the names of. In all of those instances it was pack swapping with fellow hunters although I have packed with a good number of less expensive packs. IMO the Eberlystock F1 mainframe setup shined when loaded heavy and other hunters who swapped with me came to the same conclusion. Have you had the chance to try an F1 mainframe? I'd be curious what your analysis is and certainly value your input and experience as well.

Trystan
Trystan,

I have not used the F1 personally. I wondered what packs you were comparing to when you mentioned that the F1 is the best you've used. I'm still curious if you had owned some of the other high-end packs, like SG and SO, and adjusted and set them up for your body, specifically, if they'd have done better for you.

My Eberlestock experience is limited to the Gunslinger II and the Just-One, and they weren't in the same league as the Kifaru, SO, MR packs I've owned and been around.

Trystan

Trystan
Trystan,

I have not used the F1 personally. I wondered what packs you were comparing to when you mentioned that the F1 is the best you've used. I'm still curious if you had owned some of the other high-end packs, like SG and SO, and adjusted and set them up for your body, specifically, if they'd have done better for you.

My Eberlestock experience is limited to the Gunslinger II and the Just-One, and they weren't in the same league as the Kifaru, SO, MR packs I've owned and been around.

The Gunslinger and Just one are miles apart from the f1. I could care less about what the OP buys, but the f1 is very comfortable, durable and handles a load great. The versatility with the different packs is endless. I think the f1 with a vapor of any size is a force to be reckoned with.
Is SO back in good stead?
Originally Posted by Jeffrey

Trystan

Trystan
Trystan,

The Gunslinger and Just one are miles apart from the f1.
I figured as much, which is why I refrained from drawing any connections and asked questions about the F1.
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Is SO back in good stead?
No, but they're not blacklisted, either. Customer service was disappointing, but I haven't found anything I like better, so here we are. Haha

My enthusiasm has definitely waned, and I'm not nearly as vocal in recommending SO as I used to be, but I still quietly use the gear.
Been running a kifaru Timberline for 11 yrs.

Lots of hunting…..Lots of meat hauls.
I have been very happy with my Stone Glacier 5900 for serious work. Something a little less expensive and still up to day trips I've been using the MR sawtooth 45 which has worked pretty well for packing out deer/antelope loads.
I switched to a EXO K3 a couple years ago. Really like the meat shelve option.

Have tried Eberlestocks, looked at MR. Found their fabrics noisy in the brush and just OK packs

Owned and still own a couple Sitka and Nimrod packs
The fabric on the Sitka and Nimrods is very quiet.

Sitka great Flash series great smaller packs, but not much of a meat hauler

Nimrod a smaller company. Modular packs with basic lumbar pack and build from there. Nice concept, I use for a day trip pack, but without the frame structure, not much of a meat hauler.

So, close to truck and a couple hour hunt the Nimrod and Sitka are nice

But overall, I have three bags sizes from my EXO 1800, 3200 and 4800. Can flip bags sizes in less tan 10 min, will haul loads regardless of the bag attached.
An update.
I’ve been looking into all the suggestions, and I was able to handle a new Stone Glacier Approach 2800 which is a very nice pack but everything else I’d have to order. A used Kuiu pack came up locally and I decided to try it.
It’s a lightly used Kuiu Icon Pro 1850 bag and frame in my size. It’s about 1/3 of the cost of the SG Approach and other packs so I thought I better try it out first. If I don’t like it I should be able to resell.
It’s in excellent shape and so far I’ve spent time on my treadmill with 30lbs and one full day in the field with day gear and rifle. It’s a big improvement in comfort over my Eberlestock X2 with 30lbs so far.
© 24hourcampfire