this one definitely qualifies as a capital letter TOUGH hunt! laugh

In that amount of snow, with that much vertical,

Party time.

Great Video, thanks.
Gives new meaning to "earned".

šŸ«”

Thanks for sharing.
deleted
That was some sketchy stuff, IME if it looks steep on video it's STEEEP.
Taken on Mount Huron at 13800 feet in elevation. Collegiate Peaks Wilderness Area, Colorado on a DIY backpack hunt.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Mountain goat separates the men from the boys.
Hell ya...that is awesome. Good for them.
I wish I could find one person willing to do that kind of thing, let alone 5-6 and with enough time off to do a hunt like that.
I had to rappel to one goat a friend of mine shot in Idaho, sans snow. It was sketchy. I couldn't have imagined doing that in 5 feet of snow. They can live in some absolutely ridiculous country.
Originally Posted by ol_mike
That was some sketchy stuff, IME if it looks steep on video it's STEEEP.

exactly laugh
Thanks for posting, that is some nasty stuff, in rough weather conditions.

I can say, that is not for me at all.
Cool hunt, and tough indeed. Hated the music. That much snow changes a hunt like that dramatically from dry weather/snowless hunts - night and day different.
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I wish I could find one person willing to do that kind of thing, let alone 5-6 and with enough time off to do a hunt like that.

Iā€™m in.
Excellent. There is some great Youtube content now.

My goal next Nov is to take my boat 250 miles to do a similar hunt that the guides charge 32k for. Hoping they are a little lower but it is what it is. Got my buddies lined out for it. Minimum 3 guys with one guy on the boat at all times and two pursuing. I think about it almost daily.
Originally Posted by Calvin

My goal next Nov is to take my boat 250 miles to do a similar hunt that the guides charge 32k for. Hoping they are a little lower but it is what it is. Got my buddies lined out for it. Minimum 3 guys with one guy on the boat at all times and two pursuing. I think about it almost daily.

sounds like an awesome adventure!

Moose?
Originally Posted by Kenneth

Moose?

MTN Goat. Didn't know a 32k mountain goat hunt existed until I started looking at guides websites. Unreal
Serious? 32 for a goat hunt? must be some serious logistics involved, when did a goat hunt become more than a sheep hunt.
2024 PRICING
FALL MOUNTAIN GOAT HUNTS
Full 7 days of hunting.
October 30 ā€“ Nov 5
Nov. 7 ā€“ 13
Nov. 15 ā€“ 21

$34,000 per person*

Looks like prices went up a little.
Parked truck
Walked 100 yards
Laid rifle on back pack
bang, flop.

Drawing the tag is the hard part. Ditto Goats.

2024 PRICING
FALL MOUNTAIN GOAT HUNTS
Full 7 days of hunting.
October 30 ā€“ Nov 5
Nov. 7 ā€“ 13
Nov. 15 ā€“ 21

$34,000 per person*

Looks like prices went up a little.

Well, it is on a luxury yachtā€¦ā€¦.

Maybe its time for you to expand? Fish in the Summer, Goats in the Fallā€¦ā€¦
Originally Posted by MrMuskie
Parked truck
Walked 100 yards
Laid rifle on back pack
bang, flop.

Donā€™t be so cavalier about Goat and Sheep hunts, They are only dreams for most people.
It is tougher to find five guys to go with you than to do that hunt. A tough goat hunt is one that you survive. I took a 70ft fall/slide down an avalanche chute about 10 years ago and hit a tree head first. I lost two inches and had severe back pain when I woke up the next day bloody. I crawled the three miles down the mountain and made it back to base camp. You just have to be completely careful as you can be hunting goats.
Parked truck
Walked 100 yards
Laid rifle on back pack
bang, flop.

I donā€™t doubt the hunt was that easyā€¦.some sheep hunts are but are the chinks just for show then?
Parked truck
Walked 100 yards
Laid rifle on back pack
bang, flop.

I donā€™t doubt the hunt was that easyā€¦.some sheep hunts are but are the chinks just for show then?

And horses in the background for another photo op. At least they got the trailer out of view.
[Linked Image from trophymountainoutfitters.com]
Hell ya...that is awesome. Good for them.
I had to rappel to one goat a friend of mine shot in Idaho, sans snow. It was sketchy. I couldn't have imagined doing that in 5 feet of snow. They can live in some absolutely ridiculous country.

Tell me when and give me notice and hopefully the tag Tetris aligns but the tag is the hard part!
I would think a successful MT unlimited bighorn ram hunt would be pretty difficult.
"And horses in the background for another photo op. At least they got the trailer out of view."

Yawn. Idiot is unaware you don't toss a sheep up on your back and carry off a hill, into a canyon and then up the other side.

Was only 75 then.

BTW last time I was at Mt Rushmore, the Goats were no tame a spear would have worked.
Yep, you're a badass Larry.
I thought that looked and ā€˜soundedā€™ like ā€˜ol Root!

I have zero clue what he was babbling about with that response to you Whttail. It in no way had any resemblance or bearing of addressing your statement.
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
I would think a successful MT unlimited bighorn ram hunt would be pretty difficult.

Definitely! But lacks the crawling through 3'+ of snow and ropes (well actually in some places you just might ropes :D)
Originally Posted by mtwarden

Definitely! But lacks the crawling through 3'+ of snow and ropes (well actually in some places you just might ropes :D)

I've heard tale of some quotas staying open into late Oct/early Nov. I would think things could get real dicey real quick that time of year. Just a hunch tho.

Some day, I'll give it a go.
Parked truck
Walked 100 yards
Laid rifle on back pack
bang, flop.

Then who the hell is this in the picture?
They earned that one.
"Then who the hell is this in the picture?"

Root in his disguise.
Cool video, very inspiring. Thanks for sharing.
Originally Posted by bellydeep

Iā€™m in.

Let's go
Originally Posted by mtwarden

I've heard tale of some quotas staying open into late Oct/early Nov. I would think things could get real dicey real quick that time of year. Just a hunch tho.

Some day, I'll give it a go.

Let's go
With goats you have guys waiting until the weather turns to hell before they go because they want that prime hide. I had freezing rain and ice covered rocks on my goat hunt and was lucky to slow down enough to not hurt myself. The goofy basturds live in some nasty country and they seem to love bad weather. Not a great combination.

Tinner, I am reasonably adept with rope and rock climbing. Give me a shout if you ever need additional tards.
Originally Posted by Kenneth
Parked truck
Walked 100 yards
Laid rifle on back pack
bang, flop.

Then who the hell is this in the picture?

Roundoak?
mtwarden;
Morning to you sir, I hope the week has been at least tolerable for you and you're well.

Thanks for the video, it's a pretty honest representation of the conditions as far as I can tell.

There's a website where more of this content exists if anyone is interested by the way.

https://beyondthekill.net/

They're also connected with the Journal of Mountain Hunting which has a magazine they publish as well. One of the authors lives an hour north of us in Kelowna, BC if I'm not wrong, but to be clear I don't know any of these young men.

Our only mountain goat hunt was in the fall of '87 in the Stikine River country in north western BC just off the Alaska panhandle.

While we've got goats within a half hour drive in a couple directions here, for that matter used to have a small herd up on the mountain behind the house, we or better said I wasn't truly prepared for the steep and wet conditions on the coastal mountains.

We saw lots of goats including one big billy who was laying on a gravel bar on the other side of the glacial fed Mess Creek but couldn't figure out how we'd get down to him, much less cross the creek and survive. My buddy and I still laugh about the crazy spots we watched the goats casually walk along and even bed down on.

In the end, we came away with the impression that any mountain goat hunt we survived was a successful one.

While I was able to chase sheep this past fall with the same buddy who drew crazy high odds LEH tag behind the house, my goat hunting days are done now and I'm good with that - knowing one's limitations and all that... grin

Thanks again and all the best.

Dwayne
Dwayne- I've checked out a few of their videos and have looked at a few articles they've done (they were posted on the internet) seems like those guys have their $hit together laugh

I'm getting a little long in the tooth, so hoping I can draw my goat tag sooner than later!

Mike
I hunt hard by almost anyone's definition while packing bulls out of the gnarliest places in Idaho on my back (and those of my friends).

That video was a reminder there are levels to difficulty though...and they are a few levels beyond where I'm at. I wish I were a couple of decades younger so I could run with them.

Thanks for sharing.

Dave
Gotta admit this video pumped me right up!
Cool video!

I didn't know that JOMH/BTK had videos. I like the podcast.
Parked truck
Walked 100 yards
Laid rifle on back pack
bang, flop.

Kinda silly wearing chaps on a road hunt don't ya think.
Try Southland NZ!
Uh....yea.

This gives me a headache.

Seriously?

Originally Posted by SKane
Gives new meaning to "earned".

šŸ«”

Thanks for sharing.
Oh, brother.........is there a Dr in the house?

Can I take 3 Tylenol?

TFF!

Originally Posted by Brad
Cool hunt, and tough indeed. Hated the music. That much snow changes a hunt like that dramatically from dry weather/snowless hunts - night and day different.
Try Midol, Mike.
From experience?

Originally Posted by smokepole
Try Midol, Mike.
Originally Posted by MIKEWERNER
From experience?

Originally Posted by smokepole
Try Midol, Mike.

Absolutely. Experience reading your posts.
smokepole too!

Originally Posted by PintsofCraft
Gotta admit this video pumped me right up!
Wow. I'd love to shoot a Billy, but would have to nope that hunt. When you gotta try to sub 550 cord for climbing rope, that might be a sign.
Great video! Pretty positive I am not tough enough for that hunt. I thought help a buddy out in late November on a goat hunt in ID was hard...
WOW!

Level of difficulty out of 10 - 15!

Thanks for posting.

Iā€™m in the early stages of putting together a very similar thing but not necessarily for goats, at least not initially. My first order of business will be brown bearā€¦3-4 guys max with 1 staying with the boat. Iā€™ve considered the fact that in a good protected cove with good holding power and a lot of scope leaving 1 onboard probably isnā€™t necessary but ā€œprobablyā€ isnā€™t good enough for me since itā€™s guaranteed that Mr. Murphy will pay me a visit if I do. If Iā€™m using my 20ā€™ Duckworth as a tender I wouldnā€™t be ā€œstrandedā€ should the anchor not hold but I donā€™t think Iā€™d be able to relax for the hunt enough to enjoy it since Iā€™d likely be worried about the big boat the entire time. Itā€™ll be a couple years but like you I think about it daily and I fall asleep dreaming about itā€¦hell, at least half the fun of taking fishing or hunting trips or grand vacations to the tropics is the anticipation of the trip.

I hope you guys have a blast and I donā€™t doubt that youā€™ll be successful. Hopefully youā€™ll do an after-action report and give us a glimpse of your dream hunt. šŸ‘šŸ¼
Parked truck
Walked 100 yards
Laid rifle on back pack
bang, flop.

Not even close to a legal ram here. Makes it a little harder.
On my last goat hunt, we spent three nights in three different watersheds. Spotted goats about four miles away and spent the day relocating to a spot below the basin where the goats were. Climbed up the next day and watch two billys for an hour or so. I commented to my partner that I could shoot that goat, but he looked better there than he would in my house so I was going to pass. He felt the same way, so we let them be. I climb up into that basin once in a while, just to look. The goats are usually there. I think I'll go up again this year. Just to say hello and get in some camping. GD
At 25, I went on my first sheep hunt, solo.

Two 14 hour days, packing my ram out 18 miles, also had me replacing all the straps and backbands on the Kelty pack. The pack out weighed more than I did (150lbs). To get on my feet, I had to get into the pack, sitting down, roll over on my knees and climb the rifle to get up. What fun! smile

The next year I took a pack-dog and my girlfriend in there, for another ram.

The following year, she shot a ram larger than either of mine, on our honeymoon. She might not be all that smart either...

At 75, I'm no smarter, same body weight, but older and less motivated and in-shape. The 90 lb Lab has long since died. I still have the girl. And the pack (well, actually a clone acquired 5 or 6 years later with a cabin purchase - I broke the frame on the first one packing moose).
30 years ago, maybe. Couldn't do that anymore. I'm still dumb enough to help pards get a deer or bear out of the woods though.
My favorite deer hunting spot. Occasionally elk. Snake River Canyon. Pack frames are the only way to haul them out.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
"And horses in the background for another photo op. At least they got the trailer out of view."

Yawn. Idiot is unaware you don't toss a sheep up on your back and carry off a hill, into a canyon and then up the other side.

Was only 75 then.

BTW last time I was at Mt Rushmore, the Goats were no tame a spear would have worked.

Getting up the nose of Jefferson for the shot wasn't that easy...

What made my mountain goat hunts most memorable was the fact I have trouble with heights, so to be successful on two goat hunts that I went on, they were more special because one was extremely challenging due to the sheer cliffs we climbed with no equipment, which my brother could not believe that my friend and I got up and got goats, then the second time out was special due to my late brother on the hunt had been badly injured in a dirt bike accident and spent 3 months in a hospital recovering from a broken pelvis, broken ribs and I believe a punctured lung,
they thought he would not make it, but they got him out of the bush and to a hospital, so for him to make the trip was a real success for him, he could only shoot a 243 as anything else was too much for him, but he got a goat and although I had to pack everything out, it was a hunt of a lifetime.
So yes a goat hunt is not something for the faint of heart here in our mountains.
Originally Posted by MAC
Taken on Mount Huron at 13800 feet in elevation. Collegiate Peaks Wilderness Area, Colorado on a DIY backpack hunt.

Mountain goat separates the men from the boys.

Mountain goat separates the men from the boys. This is true

Kudos on accomplishing a real feat.
Awesome! Congratulations
© 24hourcampfire