Home
I'd like to see or hear about what pack you are using on your 4-10 day hunts!!! What is the thing you like about it most? And what pack did your new one replace and why?

Thanks CD

I replaced my J105 with the kelty Cache Hauler packing my Blacks Creek Alaskan. (4000cbi). Didn't like my J105 as a day pack (to heavy) and felt it was maxed out at around 60 pds for extended distances.

I like my set up now because the Kelty will haul a ton of weight and my Alaskan is a wonderful day pack capible of getting an elk quarter or boned out deer back to camp!!

I will admit that Im looking at several packs right now and may get one but for now this it it!!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I will be adding the Kifaru Gun Bearer to this set up!!
Hello CD,
I have a J104 and had the same exp. you had as far as heavy weight and feeling the pack was maxed out. I am looking for my next setup and REI has a 20% off coupon thru EOM. So I am going over to look at this kelty. What about this setup has you looking at another pack?
MIke
Hello CD,
I have a J104 and had the same exp. you had as far as heavy weight and feeling the pack was maxed out. I am looking for my next setup and REI has a 20% off coupon thru EOM. So I am going over to look at this kelty. What about this setup has you looking at another pack?
MIke
I'm only concerned with an External frame because I've heard that your load can shift. I have done some training with this set-up and as of yet see it as a problem. Some off the terrain we hunt I'm sure would qualify as mountaineering type terrain. And a load shifting on my back would not be a good thing.

This set up only cost me $300.00

It weights just about 9lbs. I think.

Just for an example If I got a Kifaru longhunter Rendevous that's an 8500cbi pack it would only weight around 8 pds and be capible of hauling more. But it also costs close to $600.00!

That set-up in the pic is good for 8-9 days!! It weights right at 60 lbs. And that Kelty Cache Frame hauls it very comfortable!! Much more comfortable than my J105 did.

Chuck,

I used that Kelty to haul out a bull elk last fall, it was all up hill for a mile and half. That first load had to be 90 lbs +,
I experinced no shifting whatsoever, it worked. I have complete confidence in it.
Hey CD,
Just ordered the cache hauler from REI. I was able to do the 20% plus my dividend so what the heck. If nothing else this may end up my dedicated meat hauler/backup pack till I get this whole MR/Kifaru thing Fig out.
MIke
I hope it works for ya!!! Make sure you let us know how it performs!!

CD
CD
You got it. Should be here in about 2 weeks. First thing I am going to do is put last years camp on it-crank it down and see how it feels. Depending on the snowpack I have about 6-8 weeks left in my ski season then it will be time to hit Barr Trail on Pikes Peak for some training hikes.
MIke
CreepingD, for all-out heavy hauling I don't think a good external can be beat. I carried an external on the Appalachin Trail one summer as a kid for 600 miles and yours is better than what was available in 1977! External's are quite a bit less fussy about how you pack gear/weight in them than an internal. That has hunting written all over it IMO...

Kelty also makes a pack bag for this frame, and if I am not mistaken , one of them has shoulder straps to use as a day pack without the frame. I don't have the bag but have used the frame for a couple of years. It handles loads well.
Interesting, I trained with 70 and then 120 in my J105 all last year. Never was an issue at all to me. Now have a Longhunter. Not any more impressed with it to date.

Had some kind of external frame Barneys thing in 2003. The weight shifted and sucked, plus no place to put extra gear unless you had another small bag or pack. Where as with the cheap internal I had that year, I had half a bou in it, and strapped down so well it didn't move.

I"m sure at some point it all boils down to personal preference, but with that external we had to tie, tie some more and then more to keep all the meat bags in place for the 3.5 mile hike out.

The Kelty external does look well made though... from what I can see.

Jeff
Jeff, one of these years I going to pick up a Dana Design Terraframe or Flatbed pack for hunting... the frame on that was the finest blend of internal/external I've ever used. For me it was simply astonishing. Too bad there's nothing like it currently made (far as I know).

Brad

Still think that a lot of this has to do with personal preference and also body size/style and fitness.

When I was walking a few miles with 120 in the J105, it never was pleasant, but never bad. I"d hate to have to do lots of vertical with it. But it feels the same in 3 different packs so far. Still a heavy pack to me. No way around that.

Never seen a Dana, of course living in flat TX you tend to see jeeps/4 wheelers and know a lot of folks that drive everywhere, when I prefered to walk to hunt from the cabin....

Jeff
I'm using an Osprey Aether 70 as my pack in backpack along with the Cabelas EAO frame which I will use to hopefully pack a ram or 2 back to base camp. The Osprey is THE most comfrotable pack I have ever used and my first internal. I like the moldable hip belt and suspension system. Haven't had a chance to use the Cabelas frame but it appears to be much better than the previous design.
My Osprey Crescent is the best riding pack, I've ever owned as well. I like having a MR g-pack for overloading and abuse; though the Crescent could likely handle it, too.
Well, I just spoke with Andrew at MR (big surprise to my buds here! smile ) and ordered a Crew Cab in the Foliage Green colour that I have come to really like. Further info. on the developing NICE "Overkill" frame has convinced me to buy one, when they are available and use my Crew Cab on it and my 6500 bag on the NICE frame I currently have. This will work, for me, better than anything else I have had or tried.

I also suggested that Andrew ask Dana about designing a removable extension frame as an option; this would be a real boon in certain situations and I hope that "Big D" will do this as he further develops the NICE concept.

They are also making mods. to the BDSB pack to incorporate a wider yoke and while I am not going to buy the newest edition, I do think that this will benefit heavier, stouter and just plain BIG guys. I remain deeply impressed by MR, great people, fabulous packs.
ok, kutenay ...

dont leave us out there ... what is in store for the overkill frame????

grin
Any mention of which shore that's going to get made on?
The Eberlestock "just one" is what I have been using for two years. I use it to haul in camp, then as a daypack. Has worked fine for hauling meat too. There are probably better packs out there, but the eberlestock works for me.
CD,

How much does the Black Creek Alaskan weigh empty? I looked at one in a Sportsmans Warehouse on Saturday and was favaorably impressed with it. The J104 and 105 had their weights on the tags. The Alaskan didn't and all on the fish scales were in the package still so I couldn't weigh it in the store, and the Black Creek web site doesn't have a weight listed.

Thanks

Ok frame, is the SAME frame, but, wider yoke and the five-segment belt from the BDSB-G-packs rather than the three-segment belt now used. NO, you cannot retrofit, I asked!

I don't buy Asian gear and Andrew knows I want the Bozo-made stuff, so, it will be a bit more $$$$$, so what, I prefer to keep employment in North America. I understand that they gotta go offshore for some stuff, but, that is not my concern.
I'm not really sure what it weights. If I had to guess i'd say 4pds 6 ozs. grin. All I know is that for a day pack it's much lighter than my J105 was. The kelty dose have a good suspension system IMO. Very comfortable. Load lifter straps, belt stablizer straps. It really is a nice pack frame.
Thanks.
j105... can't beat it. i pack out two elk last year in it. each elk i was able to get out in two trips (boned) i pack each elk up hill,down hill, through the down fall no issue. the pack can handle more weight than you can handle. i was sold when i was able to load a whole mnt goat and gear in one trip.
here a pic of the pack in action

Attached picture 7311-Goatcomingdown.JPG
animalstacker,
Nice goat!

I kinda like my J104 as well, but, are we ever completely satisfied??? grin
I'm of the opinion that for just plain hauling heavy loads, I like the Barney's frame pack.

For a bit less heavy duty use but a good hauling frame that is not too bulky, the Kelty. I'm still using one that is over 20years old, but it is basically the same thing you have. I don't have the shelf and wrap around sides, but I can cinch down an awkward load fairly well using a diamond hitch. I'll probably replace this pack frame within the year w/ the current Cache Hauler w/ the pack bag.

As for an all around do all pack, I've been using the J105. It's not light like some daypacks and will not haul the biggest loads like the Barney's, but it is one hell of a versitile pack. It's just so simple and easy to use that it's genius. Most of my daypack needs require me to hunt w/ my pack and haul game back. The J105 does this better than my other packs as it carries well and it is a very athletic design, yet will haul decent loads when needed.

GVA
Thats a photo for sure. Couldn't bone him out eh? Seems a shame to have to pack the extra weight.

Have seen so far one piece of stitching out of 5 J105s come loose. And FWIW have a highly rated Kifaru tipi that has a tab sewn in the wrong place. No big deal either issue.

Jeff
Originally Posted by Brad
Jeff, one of these years I going to pick up a Dana Design Terraframe or Flatbed pack for hunting... the frame on that was the finest blend of internal/external I've ever used. For me it was simply astonishing. Too bad there's nothing like it currently made (far as I know).

Brad,
My primary pack is a Dana Astraplane, circa early 90's. Are they still offering the Terraframe?

I haven't kept up on the latest backpack technology/offerings, been wondering how the hybrid frames work?

Casey
Phasmid,

I just spoke with Jay at Blacks Creek today and he said he didn't know the exact weight of the Alaskan but he thought it was near 6 lbs. I was hoping it would be lighter but it does look impressive. They now have a video about it on their website and they claim it can comfortably handle 100+ pounds.
Ty-W, I can flat out tell you that the Blacks Creek Alaskan can carry as much weight as you can load into it but there is no way It's a comfortable 100 pd pack.. I packed out two boned deer on different trips last year. Both times prolly 100+ pds. Couldn't wait to get it off. The Alaskan is a great day pack that will get meat to the truck. But if alot of weight is to be involved put it on a frame for extended trips.

As far as a day pack. Kicks butt on the J105. The Alaskan is a great DAY pack. I got rid of my J105. Felt comfort went out the window at about 65-70 pds.. And tooo heavy to use as an every day day pack.

The Alaskan is also one tough pack. On one of those boned out deer pack trips I fully expected to need to replace the pack after the beating it took. When all was said and done not a stich or anything outa place!! If I'd treated my J105 that way it woulda been toast. All three of my J105's couldn't withstand anything I put them through.
Creep death,

I really like the looks of you set up and want to find out more about that Black's Creek day pack. Couldn't find it on their web site. It would also be a tough choice between that Kelty or the Barney's Carnivore.

I'm a fair sized guy at about 6' and 260 lbs. Thicker in build, large back and shoulders. Will these packframes accomidate this type of build?

My old Osprey Aether 75 fit like a dream, and the NF Perserverance rides well, but I have a Mystery Ranch that I've never been able to fit quite right. The Osprey is lightly built and fits well but isn't for hunting. I like your system better than anything I am currently using. Very inspiring to see what people put together.
I have a somewhat smaller, but, very similar build and I find the MR NICE fits superbly; I have an 18.5" neck, 48" chest, 42" waist and big, sloping shoulders just as a comparison. so, I think that the new NICE Overkill frame with the wider suspension might fit you very well and I may buy one and sell my Kifaru Longhunter which doesn't fit me as well as my MR packs. Something to consider, anyway.

Packs can take a bit of time to get sorted out and CD's rig IS a dammed good way to meet his needs. I decided to try the NICE frame, found it perfect for me and then bought the 6500 bag and almost a year later, I just ordered a Crew Cab a couple days ago.

So, there are various options to investigate.
SU35 and I went on a high country hunt with his cousin Otis. Otis is built like Howie Long. He used a kelty that was prolly 15 yrs old. It worked great for him.

We had a J104,J105,and a 15 yr old kelty pack that didn't even have a shelf. And that Kelty handled the weight better and more Comfortable than those Eberlestocks could of ever dreamed about.

The J105 is worlds better than the J104. No comparison. But, glad I don't own a Eberlestock anymore.
Elk Creek - go to www.blacks-creek.com and click on "Jim Horn Packs" to see the Alaskan. Also, at the top is a link called "videos". Got to that and watch a 15 minute video about the pack.

CD - Thanks for that info. I'm not sure the word comfort should even be brought up when talking about putting 100 lbs on your back. I have been looking at the exact same setup you have only with a Bull Pac. Question....how tall are you and does it fit real well? Jay said the Alaskan would fit me but it is built more for big guys. I'm 5'11" 180.
Ty W. I have to suggest trying a different pack frame then the bullpac. I have never seen a suspension as schitty as the one on the bullpac. The waist belt is sewed only in the middle back so it basically doesn't do anything, shoulder straps with no adjustments for the length of the torso, no load lifters, it is just a horrible suspension design. The only reason I don't get rid of the one I have is because I would not wish that on anybody. The actual frame is outstanding though. later
Thanks Kutenay. I may have to go with the new NICE, and I've checked out that Crew CAb in person. Like the Crew cab for certain, nice rig and that load sling looks cool.

Also I'm looking the Granite Gear freight frame. Might also do the trick. I love my old American made Ospreys, but I seen them for what they are. Light and fast packs not for packing out meat or real heavy loads. We are so lucky to have so many pack choices these days.

thanks again
How come the "Crewcab" doesn't come up in much conversation when the GG hauler is discussed? Just curious.
Ty W,

Thanks for the info and the link to the videos. The Alaskan/Canadian design looks like it is designed for exactly what I want do. Probably the Canadian pack will fit me better according to the video as I am small framed and it will still carry more meat than I want to even attempt to pick up.

Hello all,
Just wanted to get out the word that my J104 is up for sale $180 shipped anyware stateside. Pack with rain cover, back panel and camp duffel. Is listed in the classifieds this site and monster muleys.
THanks,
MIke
Well CD,
Got my cache hauler today from REI and its going right back to REI. Damm shame, decent pack but I just cant get the waist belt to stay in place. I was able to dial in the torso length just fine but with just a 45 lb load the belt wont stay up. Bummer. The search continues. Still have my J104 up for sale in anyone knows anyone. Yall have a great weekend.
MIke
Sorry to hear about that. Did you look at teh Arc'teryx Bora series or the Gregeory Denali Pro pack.
Be it my first pack in hunt I'll add in my $.02. On my recent bear hunt, was to be 5 days, I used a Kelty Coyote 4750. Worked well although when it gets over 50lbs it sure could use some extra padding in the shoulder straps.

Here I am with 80 lbs on my back. Inside is camp and 1/2 my bear meat.

[Linked Image]
Well CD,
Stoped by Kifaru yesterday and went for a longhunter guide. Be here in about 4-5 weeks so well see how that goes. For the price I hope its my last pack but from reading everybodys posts I may be dreaming. At least the shopping, testing, and the forums gets us thru to another season.
MIke
© 24hourcampfire