Home
Posted By: Shag Rifle Bipod - 02/15/23
Looking for a quality bipod for use in the mountains. Nothing like dedicating a whole off season on a high country hunt and then missing a 180" buck. Don't ask but the third time isn't gonna happen.. So far best I've found locally is a Harris which I might buy.

So band and lenght suggestions and I'm all ears. Anyone use a bipod that pivots?

Thanks
Posted By: 4th_point Re: Rifle Bipod - 02/15/23
I like the Spartan for hunting.
Posted By: SheriffJoe Re: Rifle Bipod - 02/15/23
I have a couple Harris S models mostlty for prone or sitting behind flat surfaces
Posted By: tedthorn Re: Rifle Bipod - 02/16/23
I've used the same Harris for close to 3 decades, 5 states and Africa
Posted By: Jackson_Handy Re: Rifle Bipod - 02/16/23
Trekking poles crossed or my pack.
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: Rifle Bipod - 02/16/23
I want to try the Spartan lightweight for those 600 yd crawl-stalks across wheat stubble going after pronghorns.
Posted By: 257Bob Re: Rifle Bipod - 02/16/23
Harris is hard to beat for the money, I have several and like them a lot. I do find it interesting that the bipods they make for pic rails come in swivel only which is not my preference. Have both types, I prefer the simplicity of the non-swivel, fixed type.
Posted By: Shag Re: Rifle Bipod - 02/16/23
Originally Posted by tedthorn

What length does your bipod extend to?
Posted By: Motown Re: Rifle Bipod - 02/16/23
Have a bunch of S series Harris Bipods and love em. If you do end up with a Harris S series make sure to get a locking lever similar to this one.

https://www.amazon.com/POD-LOC-by-KMW/dp/B00GPSJF84/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?crid=2MN995WZLY6JJ&keywords=harris+bipod+locking+lever&qid=1676569848&sprefix=harris+bipod+loc%2Caps%2C118&sr=8-5
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: Rifle Bipod - 02/16/23
Originally Posted by 4th_point
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
For lightweight mountain hunting I would consider these options, as well as the SnipePod.
Posted By: Ralphie Re: Rifle Bipod - 02/16/23
Spartan for me. Swivels, tilts, easy on/off. Lightweight. Not cheap. Especially the ones with adjustable height.
Posted By: 4th_point Re: Rifle Bipod - 02/16/23
I bought the Wiser Precision Quick-StiX last year, but haven't used them yet.
Posted By: keystoneben Re: Rifle Bipod - 02/17/23
Originally Posted by Ralphie
Spartan for me. Swivels, tilts, easy on/off. Lightweight. Not cheap. Especially the ones with adjustable height.

Same here. I like ability to pop it on and off.

I got lucky though, bought a super discounted Leupold branded one from midway for around $50-$60 a few years ago.
Posted By: tedthorn Re: Rifle Bipod - 02/17/23
Originally Posted by Shag
Originally Posted by tedthorn

What length does your bipod extend to?

13-23 or close to that.....two sections rotor head
Posted By: paguy Re: Rifle Bipod - 02/17/23
I really like my Atlas.
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: Rifle Bipod - 02/17/23
Originally Posted by keystoneben
Originally Posted by Ralphie

Same here. I like ability to pop it on and off.
Yeah, that's one of the nice features of the SnipePod, as well.
Posted By: SLM Re: Rifle Bipod - 02/17/23
Another vote for the SnipePod.

Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by 4th_point
For lightweight mountain hunting I would consider these options, as well as the SnipePod.
Posted By: LBP Re: Rifle Bipod - 02/18/23
Originally Posted by 257Bob
Harris is hard to beat for the money, I have several and like them a lot. I do find it interesting that the bipods they make for pic rails come in swivel only which is not my preference. Have both types, I prefer the simplicity of the non-swivel, fixed type.
+1 I’ve had mine for over 25 years and have never found the need for anything else.
Posted By: Bill_K Re: Rifle Bipod - 02/18/23
Another Spartan vote here. High quality
Posted By: wyoming260 Re: Rifle Bipod - 02/18/23
I use my pack, a set of shooting stix and all my rifles have harris style pivoting bipods on them. I practice regularly with all of them. Funny thing about the chinese copies of harris bipod is that the pivoting models come with a large locking handle( harris do not) and with a little check over and tightening up they are just as good.
Posted By: Andy3 Re: Rifle Bipod - 02/20/23
The shortest Harris, for me....non-swivel with leg notches. Seems like I've had it for over 30 years? (I used it to shoot groundhogs, in Virginia, in the early 80s)

I use it and/or my day pack for prone, and my shooting sticks for sitting or standing.

Mostly, the bipod gets used for a safe way to set my gun down, in open country. On hillsides, I point the muzzle up hill. With the swivel bipod, my rifle would tip over, doing that.

Once.

Andy3
Posted By: Whttail_in_MT Re: Rifle Bipod - 02/20/23
Originally Posted by Andy3
On hillsides, I point the muzzle up hill. With the swivel bipod, my rifle would tip over, doing that.

Once.

Andy3
Why didn't you just tighten the swivel if that had something to do with it?
Posted By: Andy3 Re: Rifle Bipod - 02/20/23
The first swivel ones didn't have the locking/tension feature on them.....to tell the truth, I didn't know that feature was offered, until now (had to look it up).

Andy3
Harris or Atlas. for me, I like Harris better than an atlas in most cases, I think it's quicker to deploy, and faster to adjust.
Posted By: Theoldpinecricker Re: Rifle Bipod - 03/03/23
A real shooting sling. I can use my pack to shoot off of otherwise. Field positional shooting practice has changed my outlook and opportunities.
Posted By: cecilb Re: Rifle Bipod - 03/03/23
Does the Spartan extend far enough for shooting sitting down shots?
Posted By: 4th_point Re: Rifle Bipod - 03/03/23
Originally Posted by cecilb
Does the Spartan extend far enough for shooting sitting down shots?

The standard and long bipods are too short, but they sell longer accessory legs.
Posted By: cecilb Re: Rifle Bipod - 03/03/23
Thank you.
Posted By: kk alaska Re: Rifle Bipod - 03/04/23

Same here or single trek pole with practice its a great rest.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Rifle Bipod - 03/04/23
I've shot a lot of animals using a single trek pole. For a bit more support, these shooting Stix work very well. They fold up and are carried on your belt and are very fast to set up.

[Linked Image from m.media-amazon.com]
Posted By: Dioni Re: Rifle Bipod - 03/05/23
Atlas is the most stable bipod I've ever used. I don't even like using the Harris on 22s anymore. I've put mounting plates on all my guns for it now.
Posted By: GSSP Re: Rifle Bipod - 03/07/23
Picked up the Hatch Outwest https://www.hatchoutwest.com/ bipod last year and love it. Lot's of adjustability. Very stable. Not light but not heavy either. Prone to sitting. Needs a picatinny rail to attach though an Arca rail attachment option is or about to be available. Went 2 for 2 this past Fall on deer and elk at just under and just over 600 yds. Prone off a big rock and prone on a sidehill shot where I had to extend the left leg further down the slope to level up the rifle.

Alan
Posted By: the_gman Re: Rifle Bipod - 03/08/23
Originally Posted by GSSP
Picked up the Hatch Outwest https://www.hatchoutwest.com/ bipod last year and love it. Lot's of adjustability. Very stable. Not light but not heavy either. Prone to sitting. Needs a picatinny rail to attach though an Arca rail attachment option is or about to be available. Went 2 for 2 this past Fall on deer and elk at just under and just over 600 yds. Prone off a big rock and prone on a sidehill shot where I had to extend the left leg further down the slope to level up the rifle.

Alan

Look nice but holy smokes, they are spendy! I'm personally over bipods since I put arca rails on my rifles and got a carbon fiber tripod with a ball head. For me personally, a bipod works on a belt fed machinegun but between a pack and the tripod, I just don't have much use for them.
Posted By: lostleader Re: Rifle Bipod - 03/08/23
Depending on how much time a guy has, crossed treking poles, a pack, a rock, tree have all worked for me. Sitting or offhand has worked on close shots too.

Rifles are heavy enough so I prefer no bipod if hard walking.

Bipod on the 22-250 though.
Posted By: Partagas Re: Rifle Bipod - 03/08/23
For me I have usually have a tripod for glassing when hunting in the mountains even if I leave the spotter at home I can use it with binos and having an arca rail on the rifle stock serves double duty plus eliminates having to lug a bipod along as well.
Posted By: Reba Re: Rifle Bipod - 03/08/23
nothing that attaches to the rifle

Trigger Sticks are nice.
Posted By: aheider Re: Rifle Bipod - 03/09/23
I used the snipepod last year on three critters. Worked well and lightweight. I like it better than a bipod affixed to the rifle.
Posted By: Lonny Re: Rifle Bipod - 03/10/23
Snipepod for the last 25 years. Thousands of shots taken off the SP. Most of my shots on big game are sitting and the SP works great for that. When in open country and prone is possible, I have another sling stud added and will pack a short Harris on those trips.
Posted By: Dioni Re: Rifle Bipod - 03/10/23
You should also look into getting a salmon River solutions mounting plate. You can get them with picayinney and ARCA built in together. I can swap back and forth from bipod to tripod in seconds
Posted By: specneeds Re: Rifle Bipod - 03/15/23
Son in law uses the longest Harris very effectively. He extends the legs parallel if thinking of shooting, quickly moves them to perpendicular as he squats or sits & is ready to go very quickly- my concern on gadgets is slower speed, noise & movement & his method seems to work well.

In good to 200 off a knee, 500 seated off knees but best seated off my pack. The new Mystery Ranch frame is a terrific rest.
Posted By: mart Re: Rifle Bipod - 03/15/23
Leave the crutches at home and use the trekking pole or pack or rock.
Posted By: AB2506 Re: Rifle Bipod - 02/25/24
Used Harris since the 80s. Just transitioning to the Spartan system.

Splurged on the Spartan ProHunt Tac. At our SCI dinner, I bid highest on the Spartan Springbok sitting/kneeling bipod.

Bought the FHF holster for the ProHunt Tac.

Looking forward to hunting with them, maybe for coyotes this week.
Posted By: jc189 Re: Rifle Bipod - 02/25/24
I have 3 Harris bipods in different models and a set of trigger sticks. It covers the bases for me depending on where I hunt. I've been using them for a long time. Never had a problem with any of them. May be old school, but if it aint broke don't fix it.
Posted By: Whttail_in_MT Re: Rifle Bipod - 02/25/24
Originally Posted by AB2506
Used Harris since the 80s. Just transitioning to the Spartan system.

Splurged on the Spartan ProHunt Tac. At our SCI dinner, I bid highest on the Spartan Springbok sitting/kneeling bipod.

Bought the FHF holster for the ProHunt Tac.

Looking forward to hunting with them, maybe for coyotes this week.
Please report back as I'm looking at going that route.
Posted By: Region6 Re: Rifle Bipod - 02/25/24
+10 on the trekking pole or back pack. I don’t want the extra bulk or weight on my rifle.
Posted By: SheriffJoe Re: Rifle Bipod - 02/25/24
Harris attached.

Bog when vehicle is close to setup or stand.

Crossed trekking poles for Ruger Super Red Hawk with heavy loadings.

Offhand for charging baboons, etc.
Posted By: davesonic444 Re: Rifle Bipod - 02/25/24
Which is simplest to use in a hunt?
Posted By: pete53 Re: Rifle Bipod - 02/25/24
nice thing about a bi-pod is you have a way of setting your rifle down on the ground by using the bi-pod and even crawling and moving your rifle ahead while crawling on a stalk if you need to keep low. i will always use a bi-pod out west been using them for some 30 years. the bi-pod i prefer is a Harris swivel that can extend to 27 inches so with adjustments i can either sit or lay down to shoot.
Posted By: AB2506 Re: Rifle Bipod - 02/26/24
Originally Posted by pete53
nice thing about a bi-pod is you have a way of setting your rifle down on the ground by using the bi-pod and even crawling and moving your rifle ahead while crawling on a stalk if you need to keep low. i will always use a bi-pod out west been using them for some 30 years. the bi-pod i prefer is a Harris swivel that can extend to 27 inches so with adjustments i can either sit or lay down to shoot.

Ditto.

However, the Harris bipods I found in the 80s were too short for me to easily use while sitting. My brother convinced me to use a shorter one that is easier to use while prone.

Once I had my injury, I found I could more easily walk on rough ground with trekking poles. I used them for shooting from sitting. They worked quite well.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Rifle Bipod - 02/26/24
Harris when usable sometimes x sticks. We go to alot of effort to lighten our rifles for carrying then turn the gun into a club with to heavy accessories. KISS principle still relevant..mb
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Rifle Bipod - 02/26/24
Originally Posted by davesonic444

I always use trekking poles. Add the Weiser quik stix attachment and you can be set up as fast as you can kneel or sit.

mike r
Posted By: pete53 Re: Rifle Bipod - 04/18/24
i have been using bi-pods mostly Harris swivel bi-pods for now over 30 some years ,bi-pods work great out west ,where i live and hunt in Minnesota not very well. i plan on taking a Harris swivel bi-pod with me to Africa this spring 2024 just in case it would work over in Africa. i have killed a lot of animals using a bi-pod including elk ,i also use a bi-pod when shooting prairie dogs always too. good luck ,Pete53
Posted By: 257Bob Re: Rifle Bipod - 04/18/24
I keep one of these on my rifle at all times, incredibly handy for a multitude of applications, I also have the swivel model but it is heavier and only bring it along when I think I might need it.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1015126826?pid=884179

Harris Bipods 1A2-BRM Bipod Sling Swivel Stud Mount 6-9 Inches Black
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Posted By: pete53 Re: Rifle Bipod - 04/18/24
the other great thing about a bi-pod is when in open country like the picture above is you have a decent safe place to set you rifle down that keeps it from being on the ground. when sneaking up on game in open country and crawling slowly you can move the rifle along slowly in front of you and not have to hold it and rifle stays alot cleaning with debri on rifle.
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: Rifle Bipod - 04/19/24

Your daypack……..
Posted By: pete53 Re: Rifle Bipod - 04/19/24
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

Your daypack……..
its a free world use what you want but if your crawling a long ways and trying to move your pack and keep your rifle clean good luck
© 24hourcampfire