Home
Posted By: Rock Chuck interesting tent - 11/29/23
STOVEHUT TENT

It's low priced because it's polyester. That's not as strong as nylon and a bit heavier but for the price it might be worth a try. It weighs 6 lb plus the weight of the stove so it wouldn't be good for long trips.

[Linked Image from us03-imgcdn.ymcart.com]
Posted By: Stammster Re: interesting tent - 11/29/23
Pass
Posted By: GWPGUY Re: interesting tent - 11/29/23
Evenin, is that one of the Tigris tents? I bought there baker style tent, oh maybe 4yrs ago. It's standing up pretty good. No Fire hole but was thinking of putting one in. They seem to have some designs that are well thought out. For that price I'd try it out. Put it & a stove in a sled or tabogan hike into some remote lake for some ice fishing. GWPGUY. 🐾👣🇨🇦
Posted By: TRnCO Re: interesting tent - 11/29/23
sure wouldn't take much wood to heat that little tent, from that stove
Posted By: cwh2 Re: interesting tent - 11/29/23
Originally Posted by Stammster
Pass

+1
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: interesting tent - 11/30/23
A friend sent the link to me. I've never heard of Stovehut. It would be more useful if you have a way to carry it other than on your back.
Posted By: JMR40 Re: interesting tent - 11/30/23
For $160 I'd be interested.
Posted By: Ptarmigan Re: interesting tent - 11/30/23
Pomoly is the company name. I think for the price they should work pretty well depending on your needs. Several years ago I bought a tipi from a competitor (Luxe) and it's held up well (probably made in the same factory). The US distributor for Luxe based out of Fork, WA ended up fugging a ton of people by just collecting their money and never sending the product. Of course the company stopped allowing him to do business.

I've seen quite a few posts on other forums and FB pages that seem to talk highly of Pomoly. Their return policy is definitely better than Luxe. If you took it out of the box Luxe wouldn't let you return it! You could spend 8-10 times the price and go with Seek or Kifaru and get a better product, but I don't think it's always necessary. This is my setup.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Posted By: SBTCO Re: interesting tent - 11/30/23
Its low priced because its a no name brand made in CHyenah, not because its polyester.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: interesting tent - 11/30/23
I have a stove that's very similar to the one in the OP. I wouldn't want the tent that close to it. It eats a lot of wood and doesn't hold a fire very well, but it can get really hot. I would get a piece of fireproof fabric, like Nomex, and sew it above the stove.
Posted By: Vek Re: interesting tent - 11/30/23
I had the luxe version of that double pole tent. Not enough headroom...stick with a tipi. Not all that easy to get a tight pitch with it, in spite of its appearance.
Posted By: Ptarmigan Re: interesting tent - 11/30/23
Originally Posted by Vek
I had the luxe version of that double pole tent. Not enough headroom...stick with a tipi. Not all that easy to get a tight pitch with it, in spite of its appearance.

I bought the double pole one as well right before they went sideways. Still haven't used it. I like the Tipi with the tarp off of it for the height and space.
Posted By: outahere Re: interesting tent - 12/01/23
Looks like a terrible design. Minus the stove it may be suitable for a summer tent for the kids in the back yard but as a backwoods shelter that you could rely on when the weather goes south ... not so much. Take a look at that unsupported chimney and imagine what a solid wind would do should the wind come up while the stove is running hot.

Heavy, poorly designed of suboptimal material and manufactured offshore in the service of saving a few bucks. Everything about the design screams disfunctional junk. No thanks, paying local people a fair price for producing a quality product is a no-brainer for folks who actually use and rely on their kit.
Posted By: mod7rem Re: interesting tent - 12/01/23
NorTent makes a similar design but it’s bigger and way more expensive. The stove jack is in the center and there’s optional inner tents for both ends of the tent. It also has a lot of guy out points.
They make some very nice looking tents.

https://nortent.com/products/nortent-gamme-6-arctic10
Posted By: Dancing Bear Re: interesting tent - 01/02/24
TAG
Posted By: kk alaska Re: interesting tent - 01/02/24
Bought one and set it up with the stove if i recall stove was very close to the walls.
Bought one and set it up with the stove if i recall stove was very close to the walls.
Matt have the same Pomoly tent and tarp have camped in it once how do you like it? The material seems very robust and like the features.

I think they shipped to Alaska for free which is huge.
Po Moly tarp
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Po Moly Xtra plus

https://www.pomoly.com/
Posted By: Dancing Bear Re: interesting tent - 02/16/24
TAG
Posted By: johnn Re: interesting tent - 02/16/24
If its actually cold Arctic ovens are pretty nice.
Heavy, but warm, even at -30.

Posted By: Babydeer Re: interesting tent - 02/19/24
Looks like a decent price, but I bet it wouldn’t hold up well.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: interesting tent - 02/19/24
Originally Posted by kk alaska
You can get a piece of Nomex fabric to hang between the tent and stove. It's fire resistant, used for welding and other fire resistant clothes. It's not horribly expensive.
Posted By: RobCollins Re: interesting tent - 02/21/24
I just bought a Big Agnes Gold Camp 5. Similar layout, I guarantee it'll be lighter. I haven't sewn the jack in yet. I have a Kifaru medium box stove and a Kifaru small box stove, but the medium will be a better fit.... I have a few floorless rigs, (TiGoat Vertex-8, GoLite SL-5, Bearpaw Wilderness Designs LaGarita 3, Black Diamond Megamid), I just gave the Megamid to my daughter (it has a floor) and I'm giving the SL-5 to my son (it has a jack, so, am looking for another stove eventually if he's interested, probably a Seek Outside or, maybe beg EdT...) This checks all of my boxes. I'll use this 12 months, except hot weather low elevations, which is hammock for me...

Here's a few Google photos in an album. Glad to share more when I sew the jack in...

https://photos.app.goo.gl/7wmimEiKvQUoUS6j8
Posted By: RobCollins Re: interesting tent - 02/21/24
I recommend putting stove jacks as high up as possible. It keeps the stove pipe vertical and exposes more of it inside to radiate heat.

Stove jacks are easy, cheap to make. A few sheets of fiberglass from the auto parts store, a tube of high temperature silicone mixed ~50:50 by volume. Do this outside, fumes suck. Smear it with a wide putty knife.

I've sewn mine with Kevlar fishing line in a Speedy Stitcher, but a sewing machine and nylon thread, works, I haven't done that, and nylons slippery. I may try using some of the silicone to glue it and get my wife to sew it, then use that mix to seal seams....
Posted By: KC Re: interesting tent - 02/23/24

Rocky:

I own a 10'x10' siltarp, which weighs 1 1/2#. I'm going to give this a try.
I think this will work well for 3-season backpacking. I'm skeptical about how well it will work in winter weather.

Watch until about half-way through the video to see how it looks with the awning pulled out.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: interesting tent - 02/23/24
Originally Posted by KC

Rocky:

I own a 10'x10' siltarp, which weighs 1 1/2#. I'm going to give this a try.
I think this will work well for 3-season backpacking. I'm skeptical about how well it will work in winter weather.

Watch until about half-way through the video to see how it looks with the awning pulled out.
I like that. Her tarp is square. I wonder how it will work with a rectangle. The geometry could change. Around here, it could require guying out a pole since trees can be very hard to find in a usable location.
Posted By: KC Re: interesting tent - 02/23/24
I've thought about that too. I don't think my trekking poles are long enough for that configuration. So, like you have said, if there's no tree available, then the user would have to try to make a pole from available wood. That shouldn't be too hard. Probably want to use two guy lines to steady the pole three dimensionally.

I also own an 8'x10' Siltarp. I've tried half a dozen ways to arrange it into a suitable shelter. None look as good as this.
Posted By: WMR Re: interesting tent - 02/23/24
Originally Posted by KC
I've thought about that too. I don't think my trekking poles are long enough for that configuration. So, like you have said, if there's no tree available, then the user would have to try to make a pole from available wood. That shouldn't be too hard. Probably want to use two guy lines to steady the pole three dimensionally.

I also own an 8'x10' Siltarp. I've tried half a dozen ways to arrange it into a suitable shelter. None look as good as this.

Look as good? I'll bet not! This one has a pretty young lady smiling at you from the door!
Posted By: KC Re: interesting tent - 02/24/24
Originally Posted by WMR
Originally Posted by KC

Look as good? I'll bet not! This one has a pretty young lady smiling at you from the door!

laugh wink
© 24hourcampfire