Home
Posted By: razorsharp1 Tent opinions, please - 06/19/07
I'd like to get opinions on this single-wall tent from cabelas. I have been in the market for a 3-person backpackable tent that is reasonably priced. Thank you.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...45519&type=pod&cmCat=catfeatcamp
Posted By: pointer Re: Tent opinions, please - 06/19/07
For a similar price, you can get into some other tents that are lighter. Though I've not tried them the Big Agnes SL tents look pretty interesting. REI has a good comparison chart of the tents they carry.

That looks like a pretty decent tent, just heavier than I'd want to pack very far for not bigger than they are.
Posted By: razorsharp1 Re: Tent opinions, please - 06/21/07
Thanks Pointer. The only thing I could find that was close was SD's and MSR's Hubba. Both were more expensive and both were smaller (93"x 70" and 84"x68" vs. 73x107"). I am really curious as to its weather-proofness. Cabelas is good about warranty so I will probably get it and try it out.

Edit: And both were heavier (9 lbs. and 7.6 lbs. vs. 6.5lbs.)
Posted By: elkcreek Re: Tent opinions, please - 06/21/07
REI Half Dome Plus. Less money, lighter, and if you want you can use it alone with just tarp and poles, and footprint if wanted or not.

There are better buys out there than that.

I would buy the REI and use the crap out of it, while saving up for a really fine unit like a Hilleberg.

That is my opinion.
Posted By: ehunter Re: Tent opinions, please - 06/22/07
I have a REI half dome and I agree well worth the money for a low end tent but well made.
Posted By: jackfish Re: Tent opinions, please - 06/22/07
Originally Posted by elkcreek
REI Half Dome Plus. Less money, lighter, and if you want you can use it alone with just tarp and poles, and footprint if wanted or not.

There are better buys out there than that.

I would buy the REI and use the crap out of it, while saving up for a really fine unit like a Hilleberg.

That is my opinion.
The REI Half Dome Plus may be 10 ounces lighter but it is not as big and it would be extremely cramped with 3 people.

REI Half Dome Plus 90"x54"
XPG Ridgelight XST 3 107"x73"

Looks like that 10 ounces might be worth it to actually accommodate 3 people.
Posted By: razorsharp1 Re: Tent opinions, please - 06/23/07
Thank you, Jackfish
Posted By: hunting1 Re: Tent opinions, please - 06/23/07
They are a great tent. I own the 2 and 4 man.
Posted By: hunting1 Re: Tent opinions, please - 06/23/07
http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/tenttable.cfm?orderby=manufacturer
This a great tent comparison with specs!
Thanks for the chart, it was telling. I ordered the XPG. rz
Posted By: mathewsbow1 Re: Tent opinions, please - 06/23/07
I would also take a look at the Marmont Aeolos 3. I have the 2 man and when going ultralight I just take the fly and footprint. This tent is awesome....

http://marmot.com/spring_2007/equipment/tents/ultralight/aeolos_3p_/details

Good Luck!!
jt
Posted By: elkcreek Re: Tent opinions, please - 06/23/07
There is a 4 man Half Dome in the line as well. That is enough for 3 people.

Elkcreek,
I ordered the Cabelas tent. I am looking for something that is reasonably backpackable, meaning reasonable for one guy to tote, yet plenty roomy for three if necessary, but moderately priced. It seems that 3 person tents are either too heavy or too small, heavy meaning 7+ lbs or well under 50 sq. ft. This Cabelas tent seems to be unique in that it fullfills all categories: price, size, weight. There's no question that there are better quality, or cheaper tents, or tents that are just as roomy, but I cannot find one that qualifies in all three categories.
Also, I wanted a floor in this tent, which eliminated the tipis.

rz
Posted By: jackfish Re: Tent opinions, please - 06/23/07
Originally Posted by elkcreek
There is a 4 man Half Dome in the line as well. That is enough for 3 people.
Yeah, but it weighs almost 2 pounds more than the Cabelas XPG Ridgelight XST 3. Read the sheep hunting article in the last American Hunter magazine.
Posted By: conrad101st Re: Tent opinions, please - 06/25/07
How about a Mountain Hardware lightwedge 3
© 24hourcampfire