Home
Posted By: MtnHtr New Backpack Rifle! - 07/24/07
Posted this in the Custom Rifle blue prints thread but thought some here might be interested since this is a very lightweight specialty rifle I put together.

Bought a new Rem Ti in Dec '06 just before the big change/price increase. Was pleasantly surprised when it arrived with the new corrosion resistant X Mark Pro trigger! I added a few lightweight alloy parts to help balance the rifle with that thin tube.
[Linked Image]

The finished project rifle:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Rem 700 Titanium
30/06, 22" recrowned factory barrel
X Mark Pro Trigger
GreTan Alloy Shroud
GreTan Liteweight Firing pin
Alloy TG, ADL (Numrich Arms?)
Leupold FXII 6X36 LR reticle, matte
Leupold DDs, lows
KG GunKote on action, scope mounts & studs
McMillan Hunter's Edge, Olive, 1" Decelerator, SS studs, Marine Tex bedding
5lbs 14oz as pictured

I chose the '06 since it was the most powerful cartridge I would want to shoot in a rifle of this weight. Balance is right at the front guard screw( empty). And due to the Titanium receiver and abundance of aftermarket parts the rifle's action does not have that "butchered" look that so many lightweight rifles have.

In the factory stock, this rifle shot well under an inch with two different brands of 150gr bullets so it should shoot plenty accurate for my needs. The barrel was reblasted and left in it's SS guise since it will be strapped down at certain times - no coating to wear thru there. I will keep it wiped down with Corrosion X every few days in wet weather.

MtnHtr

Posted By: Huntr Re: New Backpack Rifle! - 07/24/07
Mtn Hunter,
That's a high country winner!!! Looks great!! Kinda fond of the cartridge choice myself!! grin
Posted By: Tom264 Re: New Backpack Rifle! - 07/24/07
Aaaah TI's.....my beloved!
Posted By: bxroads Re: New Backpack Rifle! - 07/24/07
Can I borrow that sometime around mid October? I also need a little practice with it too!
Posted By: SU35 Re: New Backpack Rifle! - 07/24/07
Very nice!

I like your scope choice as well. DD's work well too.

Good job.

Posted By: Shag Re: New Backpack Rifle! - 07/24/07
You hit a home run with that! That is pure sweetness!
Posted By: pointer Re: New Backpack Rifle! - 07/24/07
I'd hunt with that! Sure would be much nicer to pack uphill than the 9.5# Ruger... laugh
Posted By: SU35 Re: New Backpack Rifle! - 07/24/07
What bullet are you hoping to run in that one?
Posted By: Shag Re: New Backpack Rifle! - 07/24/07
There's an -06 TI in the classifieds. Man I'd just love to set one up just like that! That is the most awesome TI I've seen yet. Man I love a .280 like that!

CD
Posted By: jasonkjasonk Re: New Backpack Rifle! - 07/24/07
That my friend is a piece of art! Love it....man I can't wait for a few of my rifles to get done.

You've got one more new one to tell us about don't you?

J
Posted By: MtnHtr Re: New Backpack Rifle! - 07/24/07
Originally Posted by SU35
What bullet are you hoping to run in that one?

SU,

It will be 150gr SSTs for deer and target practice providing they shoot. I've killed a few bucks with 150s out of the 308Win and 30/06 and it kills 'em fine. Deer are not hard to kill at all. Will also work up a 200grNP camp load using nickel brass for ID.

If the state does not ban lead bullets next year I may just use the 165gr Accubond or Interbond for everything. Sucks being in this wait and see predicament.

Jason,

Shhh...grin!

MtnHtr
Posted By: RobJordan Re: New Backpack Rifle! - 07/24/07
Mtn Hunter:

Looks real good. Can you tell us how much it weighs without the scope?

Thanks,

Jordan
Posted By: 222Rem Re: New Backpack Rifle! - 07/24/07
Nice lookin setup Mtn Hunter. Did you loose any ounces other than the GreTan parts? My '06 Ti runs 6lbs 3oz with Talley one piece LW rings and you're setup is 5oz lighter while using steel Leupy DD rings. Is the Edge stock any lighter than the factor Ti? I wonder if my scale is lying to me?
Posted By: 1akhunter Re: New Backpack Rifle! - 07/24/07
Sweeeeet rig Mtn Hunter, congrats!
Posted By: Brad Re: New Backpack Rifle! - 07/24/07
S, way to go man! What a nice rifle... I want one!
Posted By: tomk Re: New Backpack Rifle! - 07/24/07
MtnHunter:

Do you have a weight on your finished Edge stock by itself i.e. with the pad and paint?

Tom
Posted By: rost495 Re: New Backpack Rifle! - 07/24/07
MTN
Great rifle, hope I get close to that one of these days.... I shoulda bought one when they were still under 1000 too I guess.... but I"m not keen on factory tubes...

Anyway great looking setup!!

Not familiar with the gre tan firing pins, but remember IF they are titanium, you may have a one shot gun when you need it most on a backpack hunt. One pierced primer(they aren't all from high pressure loads, every now and then there is a thin cup) will burn the tip off a titanium pin and it won't be useable again -- at least thats the case in the AR rifles. I went back to steel pins there, they'll at least continue to shoot.

Jeff
Posted By: MtnHtr Re: New Backpack Rifle! - 07/24/07
Thanks guys!

The rifle unscoped weighed 5lbs 1oz on my Rapala fish scale. I checked the scale againest a known weight and its accurate within 1 oz so my weights could be off an ounce or so.

The Edge stock came in at 20oz with the 1" Decelerator, I have another Edge stock, same pattern except S/A with a .5" Decelerator and it weighs 21oz. I'm sure Dick Davis would state weights could vary up to 2-3oz on the Edges due to various factors. No biggie to me, the Edges are top notch for lightweight rifles!

The GreTan lightweight firing pin is alloy with SS instead of titanium. I've always avoided the Tubbs pins for the reasons rost listed, they do burn up if one pierces a primer.

I really wanted to use the Tally alloy mounts but with a 36mm objective scope I decided to pass.

Its really kind of a juggling act spec'ing out what parts to go with (pun intended).

The beauty of this rifle will come thru after the trigger is pulled on big game, pack time so to speak!

MtnHtr

Posted By: rost495 Re: New Backpack Rifle! - 07/24/07
Nice info on the pin!! I"ll have to mentally note that for later!
Jeff
Posted By: 222Rem Re: New Backpack Rifle! - 07/24/07
Me too. I'm broke right now, but plan to swap on those two GreTan parts down the road to loose the additional few ounces.

Posted By: JimF Re: New Backpack Rifle! - 07/24/07
Welllll now......whatheheck you gonna do with all your other stuff now that you've and made them all obsolete??

JimF
Posted By: Eremicus Re: New Backpack Rifle! - 07/24/07
Very nice. I've got an '06 I'm dreaming about in the 7-7.5 lb. range. We old guys are tender and delicate.
Really like your scope and mount choice. E
Posted By: Okanagan Re: New Backpack Rifle! - 07/25/07
Sweeeet!!! And 30-06 is a veritable cannon for such a light rifle, plenty plenty for anything you need to hike to in N. America. Makes me drool.
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: New Backpack Rifle! - 07/25/07
MtnHtr,

Saw it on the other thread too..........absolutely great rifle as are all of what I've see you post in the past.

I've always been a bit leery of Remington"s thin barrels on the MR's &Ti 's but I've seen too many good reports like yours so they must be generally OK........I may just have to dupe your blueprint.

I've got an Edge due next month but it's going on a M70 '06 so it won't be anywhere near as light as yours.

Good Hunting with that toy.

MM
Nice looking rig Stacy.

I would be remiss however if I didn't say how suprised I am about your choice of 150 SST's after the comments you made about the 120 NBT I would never of guessed you'd load that bullet?

Dober
Posted By: MtnHtr Re: New Backpack Rifle! - 07/25/07
Mark,

I've killed alot of deer with various 140s in the 7s and 150s in the '06 (and 308) to know they work well. Now I know 1 deer with the 120BT is not a fair example but I was a bit disappointed it did so little damage and barely broke a deer's scapula on a broadside shot at 100yds. I think the 120grBT is a fine deer bullet but folks are touting it as an elk and even moose bullet.

I chose the 150grSST for a deer bullet and practice bullet. Folks are getting exits using this bullet on deer and hogs. Even the 150gr Sierra GK does fine as a deer bullet, it kills very fast though a bit destructive. You know where I hunt in KA and I like 'em on the ground fast for various reasons.

If this lead ban was not looming I would invest in the some Accubonds or Interbonds but why waste time and coin if they become banned? I'm also waiting to see if Nosler offers a 150gr Etip.

MtnHtr
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: New Backpack Rifle! - 07/25/07
A lead ban for rifle bullets... wow. I can see for shotgun shot, as birds do scratch it up and eat it... but rifle bullets!? Did a kid stub his 'lil toe on a spent bullet or somesuch?

-jeff
Posted By: pointer Re: New Backpack Rifle! - 07/26/07
My guess in the article in the Journal of Wildlife Management or the Wildlife Society, can't remember which, on condors dying from eating lead fragments from dead varmints/gutpiles is having an impact.
Posted By: tjkanavel Re: New Backpack Rifle! - 07/29/07
Very nice rifle.That is exactly what I was looking for earlier this year when I stumbled upon a Remmy 700 MTN Guide in .308. It was too good of a deal to pass up.I installed Talley Lwt's and a Leupold VX-II 3-9x33 Ultralight and it tips the scales at a hair over 6 lbs. This will be my Sheep and Goat gun this fall.I have been thinking about the lighter Bolt Shroud and Firing Pin too,maybe getting it below 6 lbs all together.Anyways,nice rig,here's mine.....

[Linked Image]

I too hve chosen the 165gr Accubond for my "one" bullet.Should do a number on whatever it hits.

Tim
© 24hourcampfire