Home
Posted By: Powerguy Osprey Aether 85 - 03/09/08
I can get one for 220.00 out the door, is this a good deal or not?

The reviews seem good but I wondered who here runs one and what are your thoughts
Posted By: Powerguy Re: Osprey Aether 85 - 03/10/08
Were gonna find out how good it is. It came home with me today and is my first foray into backpacks.
Posted By: Brad Re: Osprey Aether 85 - 03/10/08
The stays on the newest Aethere's are not removable and, therefore, can't be bent to your back. It might very well be your back falls into the generic shape of the Aether's stays, but I can tell you my spine doesn't work with the pack. I wouldn't own one for that reason alone.

Apart from Osprey "dumbing down" the Aether's suspension (non-removable stays) it seems like a decent pack.
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: Osprey Aether 85 - 03/10/08
I think you'll like the Aether pack powerguy, i've been using one for about 2 years now and it's the most comfortable pack I have ever used. Looking forward to using it again this fall for a sheep hunt.
Posted By: MarcTaylor Re: Osprey Aether 85 - 03/12/08
Run it and love it. Good choice for a "first foray" and actually a good choice period...

Taylor
Posted By: Brad Re: Osprey Aether 85 - 03/12/08
It's a lousy choice if your back falls outside the range of the non-removable, pre-bent stays...
Posted By: Powerguy Re: Osprey Aether 85 - 03/13/08
Originally Posted by Brad
It's a lousy choice if your back falls outside the range of the non-removable, pre-bent stays...

Brad, luckily my back falls into that range, it is my personality that falls WAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYY out of the standard range grin
Posted By: Brad Re: Osprey Aether 85 - 03/14/08
I believe you grin

Takes one to know one... laugh
Posted By: fredflint Re: Osprey Aether 85 - 03/29/08
If the stays are sewn in they can still be shaped. As long as they are stays and made of metal you just shape them inside the pack - it's not rocket science. If the frame is tubular it could be more of a problem.
Posted By: Brad Re: Osprey Aether 85 - 03/30/08
Baloney... you can't get a good "fit" to your back trying to bend stays already in place in a pack. Been there done that. No, it ain't "rocket science", but then it's not rocket science to design a freaking pack with removable stays either...
Posted By: fredflint Re: Osprey Aether 85 - 03/30/08
I'm not sure what Osprey's reason for sewing the stays in is, probably weight and economy, but they are probably fairly soft and a person that is mechanically inclined could shape them given no other alternative. I don't agree with it CAN'T be done. It is easier to match the 2 stays in models where the stays can be removed and that is less important if there is a single stay.
© 24hourcampfire