Home
Hi Folks:

Well, I guess the cat is out of the bag now. grin

I'd like to personally welcome Dana Gleason to the Campfire! As many of you may know, Dana founded Dana Designs, one of the premier backpack manufacturers in the world. Full disclosure: Most of my backpacks, some of which pre-date the Campfire, are Danas. His Terraplane design was for many years considered the Holy Grail of internals. I am absolutely and unabashedly biased.

Dana is also responsible for the Loadmaster series of external-frame backpacks, which are still considered by many to be the best external frame pack ever made (I own two versions).

Currently, Dana is the founder and owner of Mystery Ranch, out of Bozeman, MT. Anybody who has even superficially perused the backpack forum knows how highly Mystery Ranch packs, and the NICE Crew Cab in particular, are thought of by cognoscenti. (I own a NICE Crew Cab, and a 6500 bag as well grin).

Bottom line: if there is a guru in the world of backpacking, Dana Gleason is it. I am extremely proud to have him aboard, and I hope you welcome him in the manner he deserves.

Welcome Dana!
Not only do you get some of the backpack experts (MysteryRanch) on here, assisting and answering every question under the sun, the big guy himself is contributing! About the only thing better than that, is the service you get in person if you ever visit the Mystery Ranch factory in Bozeman. Or better yet, the lack of pain and frustration involved with using gear that doesn't cut it.

I bought my first Dana pack in 95, an AstraPlane Overkill - a great pack. Since then, I've tried to arm myself with many of the innovations they consistantly produce. Awesome stuff from great folks - no doubt!

[Linked Image]
+ one zillon. My wife calls Dana the "legend" smile
Sooooo, is there going to be any special deals for us around the campfire?
I met Dana at the Western Hunting Show in SLC this past January and had a chance to get a close up look at the new packs - some really cool stuff and very well thought out. Of course, anyone that knew Dana Designs or Dana himself wouldn't expect anything less than solid in the Mystery Ranch packs.

Plus the crew of guys he's got with him are top shelf.
I will second and third the welcomes. I have never met Dana, but he has met many of my presidential friend$$$$$$$ and I was glad to hand them over for his products and the great customer service that comes with everything they produce.
This is great! Glad to have him aboard!
welcome aboard Dana
yo
Welcome to Dana, looking forward to your posts and advice.

Kudos to Rick, keeping this site the best and a step or three in front of the rest.

--Mike
The BPing forum of 24hr is bar none the best source for all things mountain hunting. This just strengthens that. I assume Dana is "MysteryRanch" that has been posting?

Nice to see such an authority giving 24hr its due.

Thank you Dana!
I've known Dana and Renee since I bought my first daypack and fannypack from them back when their business name was "Kletterworks".I still use those packs for hunting and I use a newer (relativly speaking) Dana Design Alpine for backpacking. Dana and Renee are good people and make one heck of a pack.
NimrodRx~

My name is Mark Seacat. I am the Marketing/Public Relations Director here at Mystery Ranch. I specialize in the Hunting Packs market for us here in Bozeman and post on 24hour Campfire under the handle "Mystery Ranch".

Feel free to ask me any questions you have regarding our entire pack line. You can private message me here, but for best results and faster service.... please email me at work.

[email protected]

Dana's mantra to me about our backpack designs has always been, "We don't make packs for the people who only dream about using the gear, we make packs for the people who actually do use it."

I'm stoked Dana will be posting here periodically. We've been very impressed with every individual we've connected with through the campfire and are excited to be onboard!
I'm excited to see Dana here, My 1st Dana pack was about 90-91 Archflex terreplane, I still use it but its in BAD shape. I've tried others but always go back.
Welcome Dana!

Well cool.......my Dana Designs Astraplane has always been one of my fav pieces of hunting equipment--albeit a bit ragged these days. I wonder if he'll give me a killer deal on a Mystery Ranch pack? grin

Casey
Originally Posted by kenaiking
+ one zillon. My wife calls Dana the "legend" smile

There's only one of me so I can only give a +1. My wife calls Dana "who?". I'm still trying to educate her.

I've never, ever, experienced customer service that can exceed that I receive when I'm at Mystery Ranch in Bozeman. An example to be emulated.
Welcome to the 'Fire and especially, the Back Pack Forum!!
Very cool, I too am a big fan of My Dana Pack. It's the Terraplane purchased in Athens GA. back in 95. It still feels as great as ever. Course I don't use it like I did back then. It's not the pack that has too many miles on it.

Welcome!
SO, anyone mind if I ask a question of Dana?

What pack would you take on a 50 mile hike over relatively flat land with a troop of 5 boy scouts?
Hmmmm...I'd pack them in a Lincoln Navigator...Whoops, sorry, just having a flashback to my Cubmaster days.<shudder>. If I was going with young (11-12) or inexperienced Scouts I'd be planning on going fairly slowly, which means a largish pack, say 6000ci or so.With some groups I've seen,7-10 miles a day can be a major undertaking-and that means a lot of consumables, for 5-7 days...a major undertaking.
If you have experienced Scouts, and and are in condition, you could go quite light and blast it in 2-2.5 days. For that,a 3-4000ci pack would do. The real determining factor will be your Scouts, just as much as the terrain and distance.
Its easy to plan for a fast trip, but your Scouts would have to want to do it that way and be capable of it. Otherwise everybody is going to have a bad time. And they won't want to repeat that...
Come on folks.... someone else MUST have a question for DANA GLEASON.

Mark
Dana,

If you could, share a bit of your history in the pack business.

Of course everyone knows or should know about Dana Designs.

I remember when you were doing Mojo and later Quest camera packs.

I also remember you designed a series of packs for Marmot way back. I recall looking at them when Michael had Northern Lights in the shopping center.

Then there was the Works a part of Mystery Ranch? Or a predessor?

And finally why the Mystry Ranch name?

Best,

Ed
I'd like to know if there are any externals planned?

rb
The guy is a class act. Welcome to the campfire.
I too want to know if/when we will see a new version of the loadmaster. I like the ventilation of externals.
Originally Posted by MysteryRanch
Come on folks.... someone else MUST have a question for DANA GLEASON.

Mark

I'll bite. I know that the answer might be "it depends," but overall, Dana, do you prefer Internal or External Frame packs for larger capacities (5000 ci and up, for longer expeditions both hiking and hunting)? If the answer is, "it depends," please elaborate.
Dana/Mark- congrats on the success!

Billings Gazette Article
I would like to know if Dana would be willing to rebuild one of his old Dana / K2 Terraplane externals? I wouldn't mind some new shoulder straps, mine have compressed down a bit and I can hual enough to make the straps dig in a bit....Burly pack...
i smell a group buy smile

woofer
I have three Dana packs.. awesome!

If the Man himself is monitoring this thread, I do have a question. Any chance I could bum a couple peices of the foam that fits in the small of the back on my Arcflex Alpine or my wife's Yellowstone, assuming you have such around for your new packs? In both cases, that foam, and ONLY that foam, turned to powder in the years since I bought them in the early 90's... and it is kind of important.

Dana Design was a great company; probably still is... I had to send a Bomb Pack in for a repair and they took care of it FAST. Still have that one too.

http://shop.mysteryranch.com/s.nl/it.A/id.4071/.f?sc=8&category=1971

Anyone using the Grizzly? Seems like a beefed up internal frame pack vs. an external frame like the old Dana Longbed / Terraframes.. ?????
Hello everyone and welcome Dana. Looking forward to your posts and advice.
First - Welcome Dana and Mark!!
Second lots of us seem to be asking for bits and pieces to our old Dana packs. As I understand it (those in the know - please correct me) Dana Designs was acquired by K2, back somewhere about 2001 and all warranty work is now handled by them. Yep - been there myself - they (K2?) were willing to warranty my pack with a "new" import - but I wasn't willing to give up my Bozeman pack for that - stitched it up myself - still going strong.

Mystery Ranch - is a whole new deal, but same great designer, seems to have the same ideals as the original Dana Designs - but I am pretty sure there is no real obligation to support the original Dana stuff - that went with the name brand long ago.

Proud owner of 4 Dana Bozeman packs, one Mexican Dana pack???. and a new Crew Cab!! Even took the factory tour in '93!!!

A real Dana pack fits and it hauls a load - bonus, it will still be there when your kids are ready pack your elk out - how many other packs are that tough? Besides its really "Made in the USA".
Understand the whole K2 deal, just hoping we could talk Dana into some rebuilds / minor repairs on his old stuff. (at a fee of course)
Just wanted to thank Dana & the folks at Mystery Ranch for making such great gear. I have a Dana Design pack I bought in 1994 and to be honest with you it will probably be the only one I will ever need for the rest of my life.

It has been all over Alaska & sundry places throughout the world & it still looks & performs great. And I have done almost nothing to maintain it. By today's standards it would be considered heavy, but it fits like the perfect glove and I would not consider anything else. The performance & durability are unmatched. Thanks guys. One question what can I do in regards to maintenance to keep this pack for a long time?
I'd also like to know about plans (if any) regarding the externals. Those fiberglass wands do a better job of getting the load onto the hips than anything I've ever used.
MysteryRanch, Dana, I don't watch this forum regularly, but the name Dana Gleason's definitely caught my eye.

I have a different sort of question to ask. In looking at your external frames, I see they appear somewhat conventional in the way of shoulder straps and hip belt. But back in the 70s and early '80s there was a big rage in wrap-around external frames. I had one, not too well fit (stole it from my sister) but man, I could put a load on that and really be happy. I've not found this to be true of most frames, internal or external ever since. So, it makes me wonder, why did the wrap around frame not stick around?

The modern internal frame packs are really really nice. And to some extent, the better ones like yours are superior in most every way, but when it comes to external frames, I'm still looking for something that will carry half a boned out elk as nicely as that old wrap around frame did - I think it was called Sun-Something Designs or at least had the word "Sun" in the name of the maker.

Thanks,
Brent
Brent, I've never carried a "wrap around" external, but I have carried a Dana external quite a bit. To me, the vertical fiberglass wands on the Dana look like they perform exactly the same function as a wrap around external. They very effectively transfer load towards the front of the hipbelt. I'm guessing that is the answer -- the wrap arounds evolved into the Dana external. Even that sophisticated frame with it's cult following didn't sell well enough to stay in production. It's a pity.
My 2 cents on one of their packs ...... I have owned a few good packs in the past(the latest being a Kifaru Siwash) but I will say is that you can use the crew cab (w/the NICE frame)as a comfortable and compressed daypack or load it to the max (150 lbs ++)of what your legs and back can handle and you will not have any sore spots because of the pack but rather from your own deconditioned body; and the Mystery Ranch customer service is top notch.
Welcome Dana and Mark! I have been looking for my new hunting pack for this year's hunts. I am seriously considering the Crew Cab with the NICE frame and the Bighorn, not sure which one yet but sure Mystery ranch will get my business when I am ready!!
Welcome to Mystery Ranch!

Just sent them an email on their site asking about whether they fit those of us who are tough pack fits. My all expense paid vacations from 1976 to 1998 with my rich uncle, Sam, have left me with a strong aversion to external frame packs (ALICE, anyone?).

The two top things in my experience that can make you the most miserable during long range trekking the great outdoors are bad boots and a bad pack. Insects, the elements and theterrain all all a distant second (except those damn "banana" spiders that build webs tree to tree in triple canopy jungles and swamps - ran face first into a web once in the pitch dark, and almost had a heart attack when I felt the web "twanging" as an interested very large spider came to investigate- that is high on the list too).

Welcome Dana from up the road. Congratulations on your run at the record for the number of days where the high hasn't been above freezing. Very unusual.
Mr Gleason, please impress me. Make me a pack that'll haul a 100# meat load or 5000 ci of gear that weighs 5# or less and bring it to market for $400.
Nice frame + load sling
Originally Posted by 280rules
Mr Gleason, please impress me. Make me a pack that'll haul a 100# meat load or 5000 ci of gear that weighs 5# or less and bring it to market for $400.

If you are hauling 100 lbs. what difference does it make if what you are hauling it in weighs more than 5 lbs.?
Originally Posted by bluffview
Originally Posted by 280rules

If you are hauling 100 lbs. what difference does it make if what you are hauling it in weighs more than 5 lbs.?

Because you ain't haulin' 100# most of the time, or at least you shouldn't be if you are smart.

I'm retired Army SF, we used to have a saying about people who made statements like that, "They give you 100# of lightweight crap to carry". It all adds up. Everything a foot hunter carries, to include the pack it goes in, should be as light as it reasonably can be. There is currently nothing on the market that meets that criteron.
280rules~

Give me a shout at Mystery Ranch and we'll talk you through some of our packs that could work for your specific needs... 406.585.1428

Thanks.

Mark Seacat/Mystery Ranch Backpacks
How bout a Bighorn? The Longbow combined with a load sling can work as a light daypack and combined with a load sling could handle a full quarter of an elk or an entire deer boned out. I just picked up a Longbow for one of my two daughters. It is going to be the pack she carries for summer backpacking trips, enough room for her clothes, sleeping bag and maybe a couple other things her fat Dad can dump on her. Casey
Dragon Slayer is pretty darn light too...
Met Dana today at the Alaska Sportsman's Show. I was looking for the MR booth, but never expected the man himself to be there.

Got some great tips on getting my Crew Cab to fit right, and he was glad to know that I love my Astralplane. Obviously a great guy to talk gear with!

John
Saw him at the show, but he was busy, and I wasn't buying anything, so I didn't introduce myself.

I will say, pretty cool to come up to the show and demo the packs, and I was also very surprised to see Dana. I think it was a good move, even if just to let people see and goof with them. Hard to spend that kind of money on a pack you've never had in your hands.

I also am kinda sweet on the longbow after playing with it for a while.
Welcome!!!
Does Dana reply to the questions by PM or is it something we said? :-)
Apparently been on the site twice- a typical hit&run guy. Guess he isn't the chatty type like most of the "celebrity" posters we get.

I have two of his externals- used them a lot. I think they are the best external frame packs ever mass produced.

Don't care for the Mystery Ranch stuff.
Im on my 3rd Dana pack.... not that I have worn out either of the 1st two. I bought my 1st one in the early 80's at the trailhead in Missoula. It is just a small old day pack but I used it to carry everything for years. My daughter used to use it on hikes as her light kids pack. I also have a Dana/K2 longbed that I have taken many trips into the Bob and Pintlers with and it will carry more than I want to. I just got a Crew Cab.. no experience with it yet but I hope I like it as much as the first two.
I saw you were testing new lighter weight hunting packs. Any sneak peaks coming this way?
Originally Posted by remington79
I saw you were testing new lighter weight hunting packs. Any sneak peaks coming this way?

Anyone know where the thread is on suggestions for MR. I remember reading a thread a while back where Mark asked for suggestions. I cant seem to find it. I thought it was here but maybe it was on Bowsite.

Dana and Mark,
Any chance we can get some full dyneema packs?
I borrowed my friends NICE FRAME and CREW CAB for my mountain goat hunt this year and am sold, now all I've got to do is stick away a little cash here and there so the Misses doesn't know I'm buying another piece of gear. My shoulders say thanks and we'll be talking Mark.
Just checking out potential X-mas presents for myself and saw, or rather didn't see the Dragonslayer on Mystery Ranch's site.

Once again it seems like I got burned by the old motto, "He who hesitates is lost."

Edit: X-posted as its own topic.
I have become a devote fan of MR products.

Quality built, made in America by people that really care and provide exceptional customer service.

Keep up the great work.

BTW, love your shop in Bozeman.

Bottom line: if there is a guru in the world of backpacking, Dana Gleason is it. I am extremely proud to have him aboard, and I hope you welcome him in the manner he deserves.
Thanks for the info. I have looked at the MR packs, but I need the breathability of an external frame. I sweat too much from the back. Those MR packs sure do look nice though. If only DANA would start building 1 or 2 external frames I think I would be set.
I keep checking MR's site for the re-designed Big Horn, thought it was supposed to be out in June. Just checked this a.m. and now the Dragon Slayer is gone (again). Can someone update what is going on with these models?
I will have my new Dragon Slayer today. They are taking orders for them, but did pull it from the site for a bit as they where not able to keep up. The new big horn should be out in a month or so and I think they are taking names for the first handful now.
Originally Posted by KLM
I have become a devote fan of MR products.

Quality built, made in America by people that really care and provide exceptional customer service.

Keep up the great work.

BTW, love your shop in Bozeman.

Probably the best post yet. It never ceases to amaze me how many folks I hear complaining about how there aren't any jobs in America, and how bad the economy is, and then I look at their foreign car and their foreign clothes and just about everything else they own is foreign.

Great to have MR right there in Bozeman where another great shop is located, namely Schnees.
© 24hourcampfire