Home
Posted By: Soulfly Tent's - 07/11/09
Can any one recomend a backpack tent that would be big enough for 3 people and not weigh a ton or use up too much space, is afforadable, an will not leak on my head when it rains.

Thank You in advance for your help.
Posted By: hunting1 Re: Tent's - 07/11/09
http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/tentdetail.cfm?PRODUCTS__productID=BIG1036

http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/tentdetail.cfm?PRODUCTS__productID=BIG1002

http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/tentdetail.cfm?PRODUCTS__productID=MSR520

Posted By: KC Re: Tent's - 07/11/09
I don't know what your idea of "affordable" is, but here are some 3-person, ultra lightweight tents, that won't leak.

Big Agnes "Copper Spur" - 4# 3 oz., $500
MSR "Mutha Hubba HP" - 6# 4 oz., $550
REI "Quarter Dome T3" - 4# 7 oz., $300
Sierra Designs "Sirius 3" - 4# 15 oz., $190

Posted By: tkinak Re: Tent's - 07/11/09
Here's a great comparison chart.

http://www.backpacking.net/geartent-chart.html
Posted By: 30338 Re: Tent's - 07/11/09
Loving our black diamond vista. Comes in under $400 and has nice room.
Posted By: Lawdwaz Re: Tent's - 07/11/09
I just scored a MSR Mutha Hubba off EBay for a song. Brand new but a couple years old. Well made and great size.

It replaced a 2 man Eureka Timberline that was 20+ years old.
Posted By: Timberbuck Re: Tent's - 07/12/09
Eureka mountain pass 4 xt.

Super room for three as it is a four man tent, easily split between 3 backpacks. Two doors and vestubles. Amply storm proof.

They just upgraded it recently so you may find this model at a discount.

Try

campmor.com
Posted By: ShawnRyan Re: Tent's - 07/13/09
270: Are you looking for a tent with a floor or a floorless tent? I'd agree with the brand names already provided and add some single-wall varieties by all those makers and Tarp Tent. If you are looking to go floorless: Kifaru, Go-Lite, Titanium Goat, Sierra Designs, Intregral Designs. There are several threads here on the advantage of floorless designs, but I think it really comes down to a personal preference and where you will be hunting.
Posted By: deflave Re: Tent's - 07/13/09
Go-Lite. Shangri-La 3 or bigger.

Travis
Posted By: Soulfly Re: Tent's - 07/14/09
I like the Eureka mountain pass and the Eureka timberline but I am not sure what the advantages of a floorless tent are? I will be hunting in a number of different places as long as I can afford it. I plan on several trips to West Virgina/Penn (Deer & Bear), also Maine (Moose & Deer) and hopefully Idaho and Colorado (Elk). I will also be in Kentucky. I am also looking at wood burning tent stoves but am not sure where to find one I can carry.
Posted By: DanAdair Re: Tent's - 07/14/09
Originally Posted by deflave

Travis

Yes, I hear they're bomb-proof......

Just not axe-proof laugh
Posted By: conrad101st Re: Tent's - 07/14/09
This has pretty good reviews. I have not tried one. Anybody have any feedback on these.

http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=47
Posted By: deflave Re: Tent's - 07/14/09
Originally Posted by DanAdair

Travis

Yes, I hear they're bomb-proof......

Just not axe-proof laugh

grinIt was a piece of wood that flew through the tent as a result of the axe. It would take a lot of Guiness for me to start chopping at my Go-Lite.

Travis
Posted By: deflave Re: Tent's - 07/14/09
Originally Posted by 270LightningBLR
I like the Eureka mountain pass and the Eureka timberline but I am not sure what the advantages of a floorless tent are? I will be hunting in a number of different places as long as I can afford it. I plan on several trips to West Virgina/Penn (Deer & Bear), also Maine (Moose & Deer) and hopefully Idaho and Colorado (Elk). I will also be in Kentucky. I am also looking at wood burning tent stoves but am not sure where to find one I can carry.

Floorless are lighter and you can use a stove. The Go-Lite is my first and I don't see going back. But then again bugs aren't really a problem in the places I've slept. Kifaru should have any stove you'd need.

Travis
Posted By: rost495 Re: Tent's - 07/14/09
OR TI Goat on stoves(and shelters)

I'd get a 4 or 6 man tipi and a stove if it were me, wait I have a 6 man and a paratipi...
Posted By: DanAdair Re: Tent's - 07/15/09
grinIt was a piece of wood that flew through the tent as a result of the axe. It would take a lot of Guiness for me to start chopping at my Go-Lite.

Travis

Ohhh..... I figured you'd got it on the back-swing, and that Guiness was somehow involved laugh

I still wanna see what all EdT did to put a stove jack in that. TI Goat being out of c-stoves has me putting a hold on buying a tent right now. If they ain't got them by mid August, I'll just order a beefier bag and buy the Eldie.
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: Tent's - 07/15/09
How light do you want to go? Do you plan on hunting in the later fall months like October and November? Take a look at Hilleberg and Exped tents along with those already suggested here and you should be able to find something to suit your needs.
Posted By: outahere Re: Tent's - 07/16/09
If you are looking at wood burning option than look at Kifaru or Titanium goat. Kifaru is probably the better designed/built product but it also costs more. The stoves are as light and compact as you could reasonably hope for - very, very effective too. The Kifaru 4 man will sleep 2 in comfort, 3 snugly and 4 in bitter enmity. The six man should handle 3 in comfort.

kifaru.net

Posted By: Soulfly Re: Tent's - 07/16/09
I do like the Kifaru tipi tent and wood stove, I just wish it wasent so expensive. I guess I better start saving my money before the government takes it all.
Posted By: Shag Re: Tent's - 07/16/09

Travis

Plus 1

I believe others also use the Shangri-la 2
Posted By: SamB Re: Tent's - 07/30/09
Can any one recomend a backpack tent that would be big enough for 3 people and not weigh a ton or use up too much space, is afforadable, an will not leak on my head when it rains.

You might check the Appy Trails Tents thread ... $120.00.

Posted By: Soulfly Re: Tent's - 07/30/09
Originally Posted by SamB

You might check the Appy Trails Tents thread ... $120.00.

I saw that one and I think I was most impressed with the home made stove. But the tent was nice also.
© 24hourcampfire