Home
Posted By: Shag Kifaru Sleeping bag - 02/26/10
Anyone have any experience with the slick bag??
Posted By: Whiptail Re: Kifaru Sleeping bag - 02/26/10
No, but this guy did. It sounds interesting.

I was using my Kifaru Zero degree Slick sleeping bag. This is just an amazing thing. I don't understand all the physics, but I can get into that bag literally soaking wet completely dressed. Soon the interior of the bag is almost unbearable, like being inside a wet trashbag. Then, fall asleep and when you wake up, friend you and your clothes are DRY, no kidding. Not so lucky with the guides down coat or bag.....I think that's where all my evaporative loss was going.....he was miserable, chasing moisture the whole trip. Leaking boots, soggy coat and sleeping bag, and weather uncooperative for drying. I'm glad I went with the Synthetics.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/3277494/3

Posted By: Big_W Re: Kifaru Sleeping bag - 02/26/10
I just got one. Tested it outside this winter around 25 degrees and it seems to be true to it's temp rating. Can't really say much until i use it more. I bought it for a Alaska sheep hunt this August, so it should get put to the test, i will make sure to give y'all a review.
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: Kifaru Sleeping bag - 02/26/10
What's so amazing about getting in a sleeping bag wet and waking up bone dry? Most good synthetic fill sleeping bags perform that way. One could find a bag that will perform similarly for much less boot.
What's so amazing about getting in a sleeping bag wet and waking up bone dry? Most good synthetic fill sleeping bags perform that way. One could find a bag that will perform similarly for much less boot.

It is about a pound lighter than any other synthetic and it is roomy compared to other bags. Buy what ever you want, just a matter of choice. It's Kifaru, your gonna pay for what you get = quality made in the USA.
Posted By: tuff Re: Kifaru Sleeping bag - 02/26/10
Yea I think any synthetic bag will dry you out. At least that is my experience.
And once again, there are other bags that are quality made in the USA. Some are priced right and some aren't and yes you are right, you get what you pay for.
It's your money do what you want with it. I will buy what i think is the best gear, your opinion may differ.

The question was if anyone has experience with a slick bag. It wasn't if you think it's a rip off or it's too expensive.
Right...
Posted By: bluecyclone Re: Kifaru Sleeping bag - 02/26/10
I bought and used a kifaru 0 degree bag last elk season in Montana. I don't have much experience with bags, but I really like mine. It compresses very small. I think I will try a silk liner this year. I'm one of those cold sleepers.

Posted By: Whiptail Re: Kifaru Sleeping bag - 02/27/10
AkMtnHntr, what do you think of the Wiggy's bags?
Posted By: Big_W Re: Kifaru Sleeping bag - 02/27/10
AkMtnHntr, what do you think of the Wiggy's bags?

oh now you've gone done it. Save it for anther thread or search for old ones.
Posted By: Whiptail Re: Kifaru Sleeping bag - 02/27/10
You don't think he works at or owns Wiggy's do you?
Whenever I see a rattlesnake I always end up poking it with a stick... One time I saw a rabbit kill a rattlesnake but that's antoher story.
Posted By: Big_W Re: Kifaru Sleeping bag - 02/27/10
What?
Posted By: LeRoy Re: Kifaru Sleeping bag - 02/27/10
Wiggys...what the ---- is a Wiggys?

I heard they were made from pubic hair wink

Later....
Posted By: Shag Re: Kifaru Sleeping bag - 02/27/10
Wiggys?

Isn't that when your wiggin for some crack cocaine?? smile
Posted By: DanAdair Re: Kifaru Sleeping bag - 02/27/10
Part of my "division of assets" check is going to the purchase of a 0 degree Slick bag.

I let the crazy bitch keep the 64" Pioneer Plasma, as long as she left my NICE frame alone wink
Posted By: sheephunter2 Re: Kifaru Sleeping bag - 02/27/10
Used a 20 degree Base Bag inside a 40 degree MOB in late October in Wyo on a deer hunt. I was impressed with the warmth factor it was cold, damp, and snowing most of the time. Any good synthetic bag will dry you out if you get in with wet clothes on.
Posted By: KCBighorn Re: Kifaru Sleeping bag - 02/27/10
Originally Posted by DanAdair
Part of my "division of assets" check is going to the purchase of a 0 degree Slick bag.

I let the crazy bitch keep the 64" Pioneer Plasma, as long as she left my NICE frame alone wink

Smart move!
Posted By: DanAdair Re: Kifaru Sleeping bag - 02/27/10
The guys at MR were howling when I told them that....

After the court date, I need to take a pic of my papers and post it. Seriously, there's a CBMR NICE frame on my papers.

And joint custody of the dog smile
Posted By: MarcTaylor Re: Kifaru Sleeping bag - 02/27/10
Yes, thank you, I will step inside for a while, now that you've opened the door.

Just to clear things up, AkMtnHunter does NOT work at or own Wiggy's. So your snake stick ain't workin', DP4.

I own Wiggy's-Alaska, and I'm the guy that Patrick bought the bag from to get ideas for his design for the Slick Bag. Even went so far as to fill it with Climashield!

Now I guess the only thing slick about it is a guy will label himself a cold sleeper when it doesn't keep him warm!

That is because it is TOO light! As in not enough insulation. Hello! You either want a light bag or a bag that works, you can't have both.

If your blood pressure is going up as you read this then you know how I feel when I check a Wiggy thread that gets ambushed by a bunch of cowards.

(wink)

Taylor
Posted By: smokepole Re: Kifaru Sleeping bag - 02/27/10
Can't rightly remember the last time I saw someone start a Wiggy thread on here.....
Posted By: Big_W Re: Kifaru Sleeping bag - 02/28/10
Yes, thank you, I will step inside for a while, now that you've opened the door.

Just to clear things up, AkMtnHunter does NOT work at or own Wiggy's. So your snake stick ain't workin', DP4.

I own Wiggy's-Alaska, and I'm the guy that Patrick bought the bag from to get ideas for his design for the Slick Bag. Even went so far as to fill it with Climashield!

Now I guess the only thing slick about it is a guy will label himself a cold sleeper when it doesn't keep him warm!

That is because it is TOO light! As in not enough insulation. Hello! You either want a light bag or a bag that works, you can't have both.

If your blood pressure is going up as you read this then you know how I feel when I check a Wiggy thread that gets ambushed by a bunch of cowards.

(wink)

Taylor

Wow you seem to be the almighty expert on sleeping bags. You even know how to tell people there cold or warm in every sleeping bag. Slick bag temp rating seems to work for every owner i have talked too. I guess every other bag is a piece of [bleep] compared to a Wiggy's.
Posted By: Big_W Re: Kifaru Sleeping bag - 02/28/10
Also, don't you think there may be a reason why a Wiggy''s thread gets ambushed???

P.S. This is not a Wiggy's thread anyway, stay out of it!
Posted By: MarcTaylor Re: Kifaru Sleeping bag - 02/28/10
Keep Wiggy's out of your Kifaru thread and I will stay out of it. Otherwise, just get used to me.

Taylor
Posted By: Shag Re: Kifaru Sleeping bag - 02/28/10
Marc,
I don't know why I'm going to bother to tell you what you already know but here I go..

Your business would be doing better if you'd keep your thoughts to yourself.. Not sure if you care about business or not.

Just trying to help ya out.

Everytime I'm just about ready to get passed getting use to you, you gotta show up and open your mouth.

Posted By: MarcTaylor Re: Kifaru Sleeping bag - 02/28/10
Like I said, Shag.

Taylor
Posted By: Shag Re: Kifaru Sleeping bag - 02/28/10
Your a stubborn sumbitch ain't ya.. smile That can be a good quality.. I'll take that into consideration..

Still gonna be hard to give ya my coin. But who knows? Maybe someday.
Posted By: ken999 Re: Kifaru Sleeping bag - 03/01/10
Originally Posted by MarcTaylor

...aaaahhahahahahahahaa....That's funny.

First, Patrick designed the Base/MOB before the Slick was even thought of, so the Slick was based on his existing bag.

Second, there is very little similar in the two bags. The Kifaru's have functional hood adjustments and a working draft collar.

What's been interesting is the fact that there is alot more mention of Climasheild with regards to your gear now that Kifaru uses it. Why's that? New marketing strategy? The LAMILITE! LAMILITE! LAMILITE! approach getting stale was it?

What's Slick is guys are more inclined to keep the Kifaru's because of the hood, collar, small pack size and light weight where as the vast majority of guys who bought the original Wiggys-Kifaru Special sold them off or used them in their dog beds when they decided they wouldn't hit their rating. I only know of two guys that STILL have the original WKS bags, me being one of them(not that I use it much anymore). So I guess their truely is something 'Slick' about the Kifaru's.

So...Thank YOU for opening the door as well...nice chatting with you again.

Posted By: bluecyclone Re: Kifaru Sleeping bag - 03/01/10
"Now I guess the only thing slick about it is a guy will label himself a cold sleeper when it doesn't keep him warm!

"That is because it is TOO light! As in not enough insulation. Hello! You either want a light bag or a bag that works, you can't have both."
[quote][/quote] I guess this a response to me since I am the only one in this thread that mentions being a "cold sleeper." After spending one night in the bag my dad instructed me on the proper use of a hood and draft collar. The next three days were much better for me. I have total of four nights in this bag.I am happy with it. I will keep it. Thanks for your concern Marc.I also like the feel of silk. grin grin
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: Kifaru Sleeping bag - 03/01/10
Now how did this thread get all sidetracked? I never said anything about a Wiggy's bag in this thread but there's always someone who has to bring it up. I know where these threads tend to go when anyone mentions Wiggys so I try to be a little vague when it comes to sleeping bags these days. Tired of the same old bashers ruining other folks threads.

DP4, you just couldn't leave it be now could you? Nice job of hijacking this thread.
Posted By: WoodsWalker Re: Kifaru Sleeping bag - 03/02/10

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Whiptail Re: Kifaru Sleeping bag - 03/02/10
Wow, sorry about that. With the passionate responses to sleeping bags I won't even think of bringing up subjects like politics or wolves. I'm *keeping quiet*....
Posted By: MarcTaylor Re: Kifaru Sleeping bag - 03/02/10
The mantra "Less is more" may work for your sex life, but when you pull the insulation out of a sleeping bag to lighten it up, there's no way to explain how it now works to keep the sleeper warmer than before.

HELLO

It would be slick if it were true, but it ain't slick.

Taylor
Posted By: Big_W Re: Kifaru Sleeping bag - 03/02/10
You are a hypocrite. You get mad when people bash Wiggy's but you have no problem coming on here and bashing the Kifaru slick bag. Maybe you should act a little more professional if you want to sell your sleeping bags.
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: Kifaru Sleeping bag - 03/02/10
[bleep], here we go again....
Posted By: Big_W Re: Kifaru Sleeping bag - 03/02/10

Sorry, I just couldn't help myself.
Posted By: pondjumpr Re: Kifaru Sleeping bag - 03/02/10
So did we ever figure out if anyone had any experience or a review on a Kifaru sleeping bag?
Posted By: DanAdair Re: Kifaru Sleeping bag - 03/02/10
The mantra "Less is more" may work for your sex life, but when you pull the insulation out of a sleeping bag to lighten it up, there's no way to explain how it now works to keep the sleeper warmer than before.

HELLO

It would be slick if it were true, but it ain't slick.

Taylor

This right here is why Mark, or Wiggy's WILL NEVER SEE A NICKLE FROM ME!! Mark, you're another gnome, like Larry. I've yet to see you have a healty debate about your product without a personal insult and hostility.

That only has two potential outcomes...
1, your product sucks
2, you're an [bleep]
Gotta admit, that quote is pretty funny....
Posted By: MarcTaylor Re: Kifaru Sleeping bag - 03/02/10
Big W, problem is I know enough about this industry to know what can and can't be done to make a bag warm(er).

It's much like the waterPROOF tag that freely gets applied to rain garments. Some work, some don't, they all sell to someone, but PROOF isn't free.

Lighter isn't free. Spend some time asking yourself how that is possible.

I was just fine staying out of this and I always will be. But if you badmouth Wiggy's on a Kifaru thread, well... That won't be free either.

I'm out of this conversation as long as the topic doesn't shift back my way.

There. Sorry if i spurned thought contrary to the slick sales job.

Taylor
Posted By: WoodsWalker Re: Kifaru Sleeping bag - 03/02/10
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr

and I wonder why? confused
Don't blame it on him, he didn't start this [bleep]. You think he's going to let people bad mouth the product he's selling without some kind of a rebuttal? If it were me i'd do the same thing and so would most, if not all, of you. Nobody mentioned Wiggys in this thread until DP4 brought it up and I had no intention of bringing it up myself, we've all BTDT and don't need to rehash the SOS.

Does anyone have a good solid report on the Slik bag for the OP?
Posted By: WoodsWalker Re: Kifaru Sleeping bag - 03/03/10
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
Don't blame it on him, he didn't start this [bleep]. You think he's going to let people bad mouth the product he's selling without some kind of a rebuttal? If it were me i'd do the same thing and so would most, if not all, of you. Nobody mentioned Wiggys in this thread until DP4 brought it up and I had no intention of bringing it up myself, we've all BTDT and don't need to rehash the SOS.

Where did I place blame on anyone? Just askin a question. Anyways I slept in a loaned Kifaru bag twice and it seemed good and UL but that doesn't really count as a gear review. grin
Posted By: huskyrunner Re: Kifaru Sleeping bag - 03/03/10
Dang Woods, that's like borrowing a buddy's long-johns. Heh, that's what a cohort told me when I was worried about getting my bag stolen out of the bed of the truck.
Posted By: Shag Re: Kifaru Sleeping bag - 03/03/10
I've got one good reveiw so far.. Hell I can't even get a good reveiw at Kifarus website.

Must be it just isn't worth it..
Posted By: WoodsWalker Re: Kifaru Sleeping bag - 03/03/10
Originally Posted by huskyrunnr
Dang Woods, that's like borrowing a buddy's long-johns. Heh, that's what a cohort told me when I was worried about getting my bag stolen out of the bed of the truck.

After a group campout/fishing trip we had a bag lifted in just the same manor you correctly feared. frown
Posted By: huskyrunner Re: Kifaru Sleeping bag - 03/03/10
I'm sorry to hear that. My cohort obviously did not have the same faith I have in the depths of human depravity. I thought it was a funny observation nonetheless.

Back to the scheduled Wig-out.
Posted By: riverdog Re: Kifaru Sleeping bag - 03/03/10
OK. This year I am in the market for a new bag. Based on what I have learned here from the Wiggy people like MarcTaylor who freely profess that they know more about staying warm than any other being on the planet, human or otherwise, I can say with confidence that I under no circumstances will ever buy or otherwise possess or utilize a Wiggy's pubic hair bag. I am however excited about the possibility of trying a Kifaru slick bag. Thus you find the substance of my review. Buenos noches.
Posted By: MarcTaylor Re: Kifaru Sleeping bag - 03/03/10
The perverbial stomping temper tantrum and run home with your toys...

Wow

I've seen it all.
Posted By: remington79 Re: Kifaru Sleeping bag - 03/03/10
I can't rate the Slick bag but I've seen some good reviews over on the Kifaru board on them. I'm going to get the ) degree Slick for my next bag. I have their Woobie and am impressed with how light, compressable/packable, and warm it is. This is coming from a cold sleeper.
Climashield is just a newer insulation replacing heavier stuff. Just like how Liteloft replaced Holofill and Quallafill. Or semi automatics replaced revolvers as duty weapons. That is why you can do more with less. It's evolution in the gear world.
Posted By: Blackleg Re: Kifaru Sleeping bag - 06/12/11
Well it has been over a year since this topic got knocked around. Anyone ever actually buy a Kifaru bag or test one out? Inquiring minds would (still) like to know wink
Posted By: elkhunter_241 Re: Kifaru Sleeping bag - 06/12/11
I got four 0 degree bags for the family.

I am very impressed with them, roomy, light, very compressable and dries very quickly.

I have yet to get it anywhere near its rating so far so cant comment on how accurate that is. Ive had mine into the high 20's and stayed warm, one of my sons had his into the teens and he said he was warm.

Posted By: Big_W Re: Kifaru Sleeping bag - 06/12/11
I just spent 3 nights on the trail with my new 40 degree wide slick bag(and 1 night on a flat neoair). It is very light, i think just over a 1.5 pounds, i will wiegh it for sure later. Had a 20 degree slick bag but it was just to confining with a 66.5" girth, new wide model is 74.5". They are awesome bags, they compress down to nothing.

Bag is very warm for how thin the material is, spent a night out this winter in temps around the upper 20's and was able to make it. Not very warm and cozy but i was fine for the night with just base layers.
Posted By: Blackleg Re: Kifaru Sleeping bag - 06/16/11
So right now, everyone seems to have a slick bag, but not the three piece one.
Posted By: Take_a_knee Re: Kifaru Sleeping bag - 06/16/11
Originally Posted by Blackleg
So right now, everyone seems to have a slick bag, but not the three piece one.

That three piece bag (MOB) is the one I want.
Posted By: Biathlonman Re: Kifaru Sleeping bag - 06/21/11
Say the slick bags at EdT's camp. Didn't spent a night in one but was impressed with the quality. The 0 degree model will defintely be on my short list should I get to venture out west again in the colder climates.
Posted By: ken999 Re: Kifaru Sleeping bag - 06/22/11
I've had a 0 MOB for a couple of years now. It works as advertised. Because of it, my loadout for 0-20 degree trips has gotten a few pounds lighter and CONSIDERABLY smaller.

It's not the prettiest or most functionable outerwear, but it works for perfectly for me.
© 24hourcampfire