Home
Posted By: nimrod1949 Mystery Ranch Load Sling? - 07/29/11
anyone use one? is it worth having along with my CrewCab?
the wife drew a moose tag and there will be packing by megrin
Kifaru has one now also.
I don't hunt elk, but do hunt moose. Use a Mystery Ranch Load Sling installed under the pack-bag on a Dana Designs Load Master frame from about 10 years ago. When it's time to haul meat, I strip off the pack-bag, and cinch the load to the frame with the Load Sling. Pretty efficient. The rear quarters this year were about 125# each. Good system.
It's nice to have for training purposes. Plates, bags of rice, sand, etc. can be tossed in easily.
Wondering the same thing nimrod - how useful is it? Hoping to hear more response.
Posted By: shdwhwk Re: Mystery Ranch Load Sling? - 07/29/11
Works good and inexpensive if you already have a NICE frame. Got it for when I don't need the Wolf Alpha pack. I use the load sling with a SATL lid (Daypack Lib will work also)for inexpensive, lighter weight version of a Crewcab. For a such simple design, it works and very light weight.
Welcome to the fire. What is the SATL lid? I found that the daypack lid would not work with my load sling. Nof if everything was going to be properly cinched down anyway. The load sling works okay as a white trash crew cab if you carry your stuff in a dry bag. Ultimately though, I found that I needed a little more room (pockets) and got a crew cab. Between that an my 6500, all bases are covered.
Posted By: shdwhwk Re: Mystery Ranch Load Sling? - 07/30/11
"What is the SATL lid?"

The lid for the Mystery Ranch SATL pack: http://www.mysteryranch.com/s.nl/c.999464/it.A/id.13015/.f?sc=7&category=45

I exchanged the Daypack lib off my Wolf Alpha pack for the SATL lid, liked it a lot better.

"a white trash crew cab" ?????

To each his own......

Had the Crew Cab -- sent it back, exchanged for a Longbow -- sent it back, exchanged for the Wolf Alpha -- exactly what I was looking for. The load sling fills in when I just need a frame to haul meat. So for me, this set up plus the MR DragonSlayer for a daypack and my longbow has all my needs covered
I use the load sling in conjunction with a 6500 Nice for backpack hunts, it's nice to be able to drop the bag and gear and just haul meat if needed. For shorter hunts/day trips, the Crew Cab is perfect and is already an all-inclusive meat hauler, I really do not see much need for a load sling to supplement the C.C. IMO. The Mystery Ranch site has plenty of great "in-action" photos of the C.C. hauling hide, horns and quarters!
nimrod1949, you pay for postage and you can use mine for your moose hunt. Send me a pm if interested.
Posted By: Jdogg Re: Mystery Ranch Load Sling? - 08/16/11
seemed to work pretty good on this boned out muley, head, cape and horns...all in one trip down the mtn. I kinda rushed loading it up and didn't do the best job...couple pics.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
have only used mine once and was not impressed using it to haul moose quarters with bone in.

front quarter was way too high and nada to lash leg to.

I much prefer my Barney's pack for hauling heavy loads, though on a boned out sheep I could see the load hauler doing okay, trouble is, I'm not going to carry it along with the 6500 bag i have for a sheep hunt. the meat will go in the bag.

so I'd probably sell mine fairly cheap if you're interested in it.
Will a Mystery Ranch Load Sling fit on a Kifaru pack as a beaver tail?
Posted By: pointer Re: Mystery Ranch Load Sling? - 08/16/11
Kifaru has their own, similar attachment, FWIW.

http://www.kifaru.net/grabit_hunt.html
Barkeater, if you search around here, definately on the Kifaru chat forum you will find threads where people have put the MY load sling on the Kifaru frames. I think kifaru finally got sick of it and that's why they finally put out their own load sling a few months ago.
I have a ZXR, which I am assuming will have similarly spaced attachment points to the hauler frame. The Kifaru sling is a little more than I need and like all things Kifaru, "an investment".
Thanks for all the help and offers guys! I ended up buying Strawman's load sling to give it a try. Hopefully it is in the mail and come October I can give a report smile
© 24hourcampfire