Home
Posted By: CFVA Wet wipes? - 10/13/11
Any particular brand of wet wipes that you would recommend/stay away from? Something that's available at Kroger's or Wally World would be appreciated.

Thanks
Posted By: 338WIN Re: Wet wipes? - 10/13/11
Any one of them that doesn't lead to a desire to wear diapers! Everyone makes them, you can even get scent free one's from the companies that make those products!
Best thing since water filters for extended stays in the woods.
Seriously, we have several brands around here because seems like one of grandkids is always in diapers. Can't say I notice in difference in any of them outside scent. Just make sure you keep them sealed up so they are nice and moist when you want them.
Posted By: Ghostinthemachine Re: Wet wipes? - 10/13/11
I usually just get the generic wipes.

Best thing since sliced bread. A clean butt is a happy butt.
Posted By: dryflyelk Re: Wet wipes? - 10/13/11
Walmart usually has some of the coleman brand in the camping section that work pretty well. They are scent free and they break down and decompose very quickly. I keep a pack of those in my bag and they work great.

Posted By: Calvin Re: Wet wipes? - 10/13/11
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
A clean butt is a happy butt.

Ain't that the truth
Posted By: huntem Re: Wet wipes? - 10/13/11
If your using them for backcountry showers, I prefer the non-scented baby wipes.

As mentioned, there is nothing worse than a good case of monkey butt.
Posted By: CFVA Re: Wet wipes? - 10/13/11
Thanks.
Posted By: 338WIN Re: Wet wipes? - 10/13/11
That's a good tip on the Coleman brand at wally world. I like them for the clean butt factor, too.
I took a semi-bath in a big lake a few years back and somehow picked up a bacteria on the back of my neck that I just can't shake. No big deal, BUT I could have avoided it if I had just washed off the 10 days in the wilderness grime with the baby butt wipes.
Gotta have 'em.
Posted By: Chesapeake Re: Wet wipes? - 10/13/11
I hit up the Wally world "Travel size" section by the Pharmacy. I get the yellow pack wet wipes for hands and cleaning, and the blue pack of flushable wipes for the south end.

The blue's used the be Charmin, but were some other brand this last go round. Same performance though.

Posted By: Dan360 Re: Wet wipes? - 10/13/11
Originally Posted by Calvin
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
A clean butt is a happy butt.

Ain't that the truth

+1
Posted By: add Re: Wet wipes? - 10/13/11
I prefer the ones with some aloe in them...
Posted By: norcalblacktail Re: Wet wipes? - 10/13/11
Huggies Supreme Thick n Clean Wet Wipes are the best. If Im going in for a while and trying to cut as much weight as possible I will let mine dry out and then re hydrate once we have packed in.
Posted By: coonass Re: Wet wipes? - 10/14/11
good pointer norcalblacktail��..i will have to give that a try
Posted By: jigman222 Re: Wet wipes? - 10/14/11
Originally Posted by 338WIN
somehow picked up a bacteria on the back of my neck that I just can't shake. No big deal

So want constitutes a big deal. Cutting off a finger?
Posted By: Miner Re: Wet wipes? - 10/14/11
Originally Posted by Chesapeake
I hit up the Wally world "Travel size" section by the Pharmacy. I get the yellow pack wet wipes for hands and cleaning, and the blue pack of flushable wipes for the south end.

The blue's used the be Charmin, but were some other brand this last go round. Same performance though.

I do the same. The yellow ones are alcohol based (I think they are "Wet Ones" and you can find them in a red pack too) and work for cleaning most areas but can burn the sensitive areas down south. The blue ones are "Cottonelle" and they are flushable. I use TP for gross decontamination and then clean with a wipe. Both types are sold in larger packs. I will get the larger packs if hunting from the truck.

I generally dislike the scent of "baby wipes". If we have a fire (more so when backbacking than when hunting), I'll pick up all paper and wipes and burn them.
Posted By: castnblast Re: Wet wipes? - 10/15/11
So... all you people are OK with leaving plastic garbage in the bush when you take a dump? Most wet wipes are a synthetic fabric, and are non-biodegradeable. Just what we need! More semi-permanent litter all over the beautiful places in the world.
Posted By: MtnHtr Re: Wet wipes? - 10/16/11
Originally Posted by castnblast
So... all you people are OK with leaving plastic garbage in the bush when you take a dump? Most wet wipes are a synthetic fabric, and are non-biodegradeable. Just what we need! More semi-permanent litter all over the beautiful places in the world.

I did a study a few yrs ago on the deposit of wipes in the woods. Seems after awhile the wipes are salvaged by squirrels and birds for nesting materials and the survival rate of their offspring increased by as much as 26.8% during years of wet springs (heavy rainfall). This in turn has helped increase the populations of certain forest predators - fox, mink, weasels and pine martin.

Win-win if you ask me. I prefer Huggies non-scent.

MtnHtr
Posted By: Mark R Dobrenski Re: Wet wipes? - 10/16/11
Darn well said... grin

Dober
Posted By: rl11 Re: Wet wipes? - 10/16/11

I can't speak for everyone else, but I use them to take a spongebath, and pack them out with me.
I don't use them to replace t/p...
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Wet wipes? - 10/16/11
I leave them as a warning for the next guy to not get too close to the stinky pile...
Posted By: jpb Re: Wet wipes? - 10/16/11
If you try these, please post the video on YouTube for us:

[Linked Image]

smile

John

Posted By: kk alaska Re: Wet wipes? - 10/16/11
http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/...ail/Camp-Accessories/prod71844/cat100918

Name says it all!
Posted By: rl11 Re: Wet wipes? - 10/16/11
Originally Posted by shrapnel
I leave them as a warning for the next guy to not get too close to the stinky pile...

I stand corrected...
Posted By: coonass Re: Wet wipes? - 10/17/11
Originally Posted by MtnHtr

I did a study a few yrs ago on the deposit of wipes in the woods. Seems after awhile the wipes are salvaged by squirrels and birds for nesting materials and the survival rate of their offspring increased by as much as 26.8% during years of wet springs (heavy rainfall). This in turn has helped increase the populations of certain forest predators - fox, mink, weasels and pine martin.

Win-win if you ask me. I prefer Huggies non-scent.

MtnHtr

Are you Sh*****g me?!? Is that a fact??? My wife gives me 2lbs. of crap when I leave wipes out for the lil' squirrels and stuff�.I would love to use this info�if its in fact a FACT?
Posted By: MtnHtr Re: Wet wipes? - 10/17/11
It was an "unscientific" study, we even witnessed chipmunks tearing those wipes to bits!

Rodents love tissue of any flavor!
[Linked Image]

MtnHtr
Posted By: Jester Re: Wet wipes? - 10/17/11
Originally Posted by coonass
My wife gives me 2lbs. of crap.

Given the nature of the thread... eek
Posted By: David_Walter Re: Wet wipes? - 10/17/11
I'm a wet wipes convert. I buy the case at COSTCO with 9 boxes of 100 each.

When I was on Kodiak on a LONG bear hunt in the mid 90s, I discovered they can be traded for cash with hunting partners too knuckle headed to bring their own....
Posted By: Chesapeake Re: Wet wipes? - 10/17/11

Hence the "flushable" (compostable/biodegradable) Cottonelle or Charmin wipes for the dirty work where recovery is a no go, and the other non-biodegradable ones for the other less dirty work where they are easily recovered for packing out of the woods.
The Coleman wipes are also biodegradable as I recall.

I believe those that dont litter, dont, wipes or not. Those that do litter, well.......
Posted By: eyeball Re: Wet wipes? - 10/18/11
Originally Posted by 338WIN
That's a good tip on the Coleman brand at wally world. I like them for the clean butt factor, too.
I took a semi-bath in a big lake a few years back and somehow picked up a bacteria on the back of my neck that I just can't shake. No big deal, BUT I could have avoided it if I had just washed off the 10 days in the wilderness grime with the baby butt wipes.
Gotta have 'em.
They are 75% cheeper in the baby section rather than sporting.
Posted By: Folically_Challenged Re: Wet wipes? - 10/18/11
Father of six, here, and exhaustive empirical evidence has given me a strong preference for Huggies wipes. Gentle on one's "southern parts", but strong enough to scrub blood/entrails from skin/clothing, or mud from a rifle.

An empty Mountain House pouch will hold a "mess" of messy wipes. It makes packing 'em out a snap, if fires aren't an option.

They're great to have around the house, too. They make quick work of cleaning/scouring a kitchen counter, or getting stains out of carpet, or getting axle grease off your hands, or pre-cleaning around the oil fill spout on engines prior to adding more lubricant, or bringing new life to tired windshield wiper blades, or...

Find 'em on sale, & stock-up!

FC
Posted By: Ghostinthemachine Re: Wet wipes? - 10/18/11
Hence the "flushable" (compostable/biodegradable) Cottonelle or Charmin wipes for the dirty work where recovery is a no go,

They're all flushable and biodegradable. Aint no plastic in any of them. lol
Posted By: GeoW Re: Wet wipes? - 10/20/11
Unscented? These are used to police up that nasty ass, right? crazy
Posted By: Huntr Re: Wet wipes? - 10/20/11
The Huggies unscented rock!

Just sayin... wink
Posted By: las Re: Wet wipes? - 10/23/11
One of my go-anywhere/anytime fanny pack items. "Resealable" or not, I keep mine in a zip-lock.

Uh, that would be the wipes.....
Posted By: castnblast Re: Wet wipes? - 10/23/11
[/quote] "They're all flushable and biodegradable. Aint no plastic in any of them. lol "

your "facts" are incorrect sir. From one manufacturers website:

Product Use: Skin/personal cleansing
For additional information contact Kimberly-Clark through www.kimberly-clark.com
Clear, colorless liquid with a pleasant odor on a white polypropylene/cellulose wipe.

the cellulose component is biodegradable, but polypropylene is synthetic plastic, no matter how much you deny it.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Wet wipes? - 10/23/11
Last time out I used Pure and Gentle wipes. They worked quite well. Avoid the cheap ones like Western Family. They disintegrate in your hand and it takes twice as many to do the same job.
Posted By: fatjack34 Re: Wet wipes? - 10/23/11
The progression for me has been simple really...started as an inexperienced youth with a handful of large "pliable" oak or maple leaves...which lead to packing in paper towels or small amounts of TP. Alas we arrived at FLUSHABLE (for all those tree huggers) non-littering biodegradeable unscented wipes. I utilized them today (what's that you say???? Too much information???)! I love taking a seething dump in the bush now! No more crumbled leaves irratating my tender A-NOOSE, no more TP "not quite" getting 'er done. No! No! No! I have a gleaming and fresh grommet every time I bust these puppies out! Easy to tote, easy to use, easy to dispose of and not harmful to the eco-system! Ahh...the miracles of modern science! Trench Asss NO MORE!
Posted By: Cntrmass Re: Wet wipes? - 10/26/11
Copy and Paste the below text for the best backcountry towels I have found.
They are not baby wipes but man sized,tough and unscented. way more uses than a baby wipe.

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4423032&010=8553659&cid=CSE:&cid=CSE:GooglePlusbox&003=3933188
© 24hourcampfire